DV 2020 All Selectees

Today US Embassy Nepal made an announcement that, "as of March 17, 2020, the United States Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal is cancelling routine Diversity Visa and nonimmigrant visa appointments. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.

My interview was scheduled for 22 April and medical checkup for 31st March. I am in dilemma whether to cancel my medical checkup for now and wait for the embassy for further notice ? Please suggest..
 
Today US Embassy Nepal made an announcement that, "as of March 17, 2020, the United States Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal is cancelling routine Diversity Visa and nonimmigrant visa appointments. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.

My interview was scheduled for 22 April and medical checkup for 31st March. I am in dilemma whether to cancel my medical checkup for now and wait for the embassy for further notice ? Please suggest..
I would postpone everything for now if I were you. I am sure you're aware of COVID-19. A lot of things are being postponed. Wait for the embassy to reopen then do the medical checkup.
 

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Today US Embassy Nepal made an announcement that, "as of March 17, 2020, the United States Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal is cancelling routine Diversity Visa and nonimmigrant visa appointments. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.

My interview was scheduled for 22 April and medical checkup for 31st March. I am in dilemma whether to cancel my medical checkup for now and wait for the embassy for further notice ? Please suggest..
My recommendation is to hold on to that booking for now. Assess the current situation on a daily basis. If things still look the same about a week or a couple of days before the medical exam, or you get some update from the embassy regarding interview cancellation/rescheduled, then go ahead and cancel
 
That was not a wise decision as it turns out. Really the speed advantage that CP used to have over AOS is largely done now due to the documents procedure.
but still time to switch to AOS?
KCC has let me know that switching to AOS is a viable option.

I am reluctant to do this right away because here on the US east coast I'm seeing every pattern that I've seen in Italy repeating again. Grocery stores assaulted and out of stock, business closing, people panicking, infected numbers growing. every sign seems to suggest that soon here we'll have a lockdown similar to the one Italy has now.
Question is, come June-July (when I'm current), what's going to be more likely to be operative? USCIS in the US, or the Naples embassy in Italy?
There is no way to know but, luckily I have about a month to monitor the situation and make a decision.

Thanks Simon, mom and Susie for your very valuable input.
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
KCC has let me know that switching to AOS is a viable option.

I am reluctant to do this right away because here on the US east coast I'm seeing every pattern that I've seen in Italy repeating again. Grocery stores assaulted and out of stock, business closing, people panicking, infected numbers growing. every sign seems to suggest that soon here we'll have a lockdown similar to the one Italy has now.
Question is, come June-July (when I'm current), what's going to be more likely to be operative? USCIS in the US, or the Naples embassy in Italy?
There is no way to know but, luckily I have about a month to monitor the situation and make a decision.

Thanks Simon, mom and Susie for your very valuable input.
You are not sure whether getting to your local uscis office will be easier than getting to Italy? Really? If you’re worried about lockdown why do you think you can get to an airport (or equally importantly, back in again) ?
All I’m going to say is, this is not the type of environment that I’d purposely add delays to the process.
 

Britsimon

Super Moderator
KCC has let me know that switching to AOS is a viable option.

I am reluctant to do this right away because here on the US east coast I'm seeing every pattern that I've seen in Italy repeating again. Grocery stores assaulted and out of stock, business closing, people panicking, infected numbers growing. every sign seems to suggest that soon here we'll have a lockdown similar to the one Italy has now.
Question is, come June-July (when I'm current), what's going to be more likely to be operative? USCIS in the US, or the Naples embassy in Italy?
There is no way to know but, luckily I have about a month to monitor the situation and make a decision.

Thanks Simon, mom and Susie for your very valuable input.
No one can predict the impacts on the virus. But clearly it is not going to be easier to travel to Italy than to a local FO. Italy will have a backlog of cancelled interviews to accommodate once the embassy reopens, it will be tough there for a while yet. You also need to realize that AOS has early filing, so if you are current in the next VB for instance, you could file immediately.
 
You are not sure whether getting to your local uscis office will be easier than getting to Italy? Really? If you’re worried about lockdown why do you think you can get to an airport (or equally importantly, back in again) ?
All I’m going to say is, this is not the type of environment that I’d purposely add delays to the process.
No one can predict the impacts on the virus. But clearly it is not going to be easier to travel to Italy than to a local FO. Italy will have a backlog of cancelled interviews to accommodate once the embassy reopens, it will be tough there for a while yet. You also need to realize that AOS has early filing, so if you are current in the next VB for instance, you could file immediately.
First of all let me say that I am really glad I have you people on my side.

I think you are convincing me I should really do this. I will be taking time to due my due diligence because I'm honestly well versed in CP but don't know much about AOS.

What is early filing exactly? next VB is the MAY 2020 VB, and it might tell us that my case will be current in JUNE. Do you mean to say that I could be allowed to file as early as May or June? ...also... file what exactly? I thought I was waiting to be scheduled for an interview...

Sorry for the confusion. I'll get studying.
 

Britsimon

Super Moderator
First of all let me say that I am really glad I have you people on my side.

I think you are convincing me I should really do this. I will be taking time to due my due diligence because I'm honestly well versed in CP but don't know much about AOS.

What is early filing exactly? next VB is the MAY 2020 VB, and it might tell us that my case will be current in JUNE. Do you mean to say that I could be allowed to file as early as May or June? ...also... file what exactly? I thought I was waiting to be scheduled for an interview...

Sorry for the confusion. I'll get studying.
All you need to know about AOS is gathered together in a spreadsheet that Sm1smom created and maintains. So - check the link below and look at the spreadsheet linked from the first post in that thread.

Specifically though, if your number went current on the next VB (mis April) you could file on that day. What would you be filing - well that is the I-485 and related info that Mom has detailed.

Go and get reading.

https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2020-aos-only.340762/
 
I found out that my fathers name might be slightly inaccurate in my ds260. I am not sure how exactly his name appears in his ID.
I entered his name as Mikheil, but he might be Mikheili in his ID.

Is it worth to open DS260 to correct this?
 

SusieQQQ

Well-Known Member
SusieQQQ

It is Mikheili in my birth certificate.
Then it needs to match, you can reopen DS260, or just point it out at interview, it’s not critical to the application. We had a similar issue (a little more serious, seems a parent had a first name entirely different from what we thought and what we thought was first name was second name), corrected it at interview with no problems.
 
I wonder if DOS would give any priority to DV visas once the embassies reopen, as this is possibly the only category with a deadline... Also given the minimal number of visas issued so far, even without the virus, I hope they would somehow try to push the number as much as possible...
 
My impression is that there were not so many interviews scheduled in March in Europe. People with CNs 14000-21200 are mostly appointed in April, (when they should have been in March). so there will not be significant amount of interviews cancelled in March hopefully. And let's keep fingers crossed that they will renew working soon and manage to do interviews in April.
 

Britsimon

Super Moderator

Britsimon

Super Moderator
My impression is that there were not so many interviews scheduled in March in Europe. People with CNs 14000-21200 are mostly appointed in April, (when they should have been in March). so there will not be significant amount of interviews cancelled in March hopefully. And let's keep fingers crossed that they will renew working soon and manage to do interviews in April.
No need to base that on "impressions". We have the full list of 2NLs per month on Xarthisius' site. April interviews will be cancelled too.
 
Top