• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Hopefully that's all it is man. Is it a visa sticker? I didn't do consular processing but I believe its just a stamp and an arrival package. Either way I'm sure they are aware of the deadline and if you were verbally approved then hopefully you'll be good to go next week or so.

According to the CEAC site, AP includes:

"This status includes:
  • The visa issuance process (visa has been approved but not yet printed)
  • Pending for additional documents/information"
As the visa was verbally approved, and I haven't been asked for additional info/docs, I'm hoping that the AP means it's simply taking some time for the visas to be printed. Knowing my luck, their printer has exploded!
Have you called for an update?
I know a few people that waited a couple of weeks for visas to be issued but I understand your nervousness as its getting close to the end of 2019.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you Doug

I

If the outcome of this debate would assist with the Visa being issued, I would care greatly. But it doesn't, and seems to be muddying the waters with no benefit, to me or to anyone else seeking advice.

I get that you are solely focused on your visa being issued, you've made that clear. But maybe bear in mind that a lot of the advice that we are able to give here comes from posters who have shared their experiences, and that information is particularly valuable when something new or different happens, so that we are more aware of stuff for the next guy that the same thing might happen to. And sometimes people misunderstand stuff so asking for clarification is normal. Sharing information here is part of paying it forward. Good luck with your visa.

No. Prior to your interview, KCC would have assigned a specific visa number for each person under your application, (in my case, 4 people).

Because I rescheduled, that meant that those 4 x visa numbers had to be reassigned to other applicants in that interview time/date range, and new visa numbers were issued to me, the next calendar month, as that is when KCC issues Visa for upcoming interviews.

Like I said, for me, those "new" visa numbers were issued by KCC prior to the rescheduled interview.

Nope. Whatever "numbers" were "assigned" prior to the interview were not what we are talking about. Assuming KCC passed the case to the embassy in the first place in a previous month, and you rescheduled, then it is certain that KCC were not asked for visas again until you attended your actual interview. The waiting period after your interview is the delay incurred to obtain the visas. This part of the process is well understood and has been the subject of testimony in court cases.

How was he given his visa numbers prior to the rescheduled interview? Is that common to be told what your visa numbers will be.

Colour me confused but I didn’t realise we could see our visa numbers prior to interview.

You don't.

I was also confused by his post where he says he was sent new visa numbers as part of his rescheduled interview paper works too. To the best of my knowledge, no one gets told what their reserved visa number is or that a certain number of visas have been reserved for them AFAIK.

Correct.

If the outcome of this debate would assist with the Visa being issued, I would care greatly. But it doesn't, and seems to be muddying the waters with no benefit, to me or to anyone else seeking advice.

Yeah, as Susie said - it's not whether you care to know or not - if you don't want the accurate detail - that's fine, but us knowing the precise detail where we can (or sometimes filling in the blanks with logic) helps us give a true understanding to others that may wonder why there is a delay after the rescheduled interview - and helps us explain why we do not recommend rescheduling in general, and particular not at the end of the year. In years where visas run out, cases like yours find themselves without a visa. In fact that happened this year in August for Egyptian cases - because they maxed out on the country cap. Rescheduled cases, and cases in AP were told they would not get a visa because of unavailability of visas APART from cases scheduled for first interviews in August and september.

Have you called for an update?

I emailed yesterday. Last time I tried to ring them, (a few months back), I spoke to what appeared to be a Call Center in the Philippines and was told to email the consulate direct.

Nope. Whatever "numbers" were "assigned" prior to the interview were not what we are talking about. Assuming KCC passed the case to the embassy in the first place in a previous month, and you rescheduled, then it is certain that KCC were not asked for visas again until you attended your actual interview. The waiting period after your interview is the delay incurred to obtain the visas. This part of the process is well understood and has been the subject of testimony in court cases.

All I know, and all I'm stating, is that the consulate told me my original "visa numbers" would be sent back for reallocation, and new ones requested for the interview month, being August. Then I had 4 x 10-digit alphanumeric consecutive numbers listed against each name in my application, on the email confirming my appointment. If those numbers are not the visa numbers, then so be it.

Receipt numbers perhaps? They are used to track cases. I think that's a 10 digit code with a three character prefix. You can use them on the USCIS website to track your case, but the consulate doesn't usually share that with you until the point where you need to pay fees for the GC.

Anyway, good luck Doug. I would suggest calling them, you certainly have a good reason in doing so.

Receipt numbers perhaps? They are used to track cases. I think that's a 10 digit code with a three character prefix. You can use them on the USCIS website to track your case, but the consulate doesn't usually share that with you until the point where you need to pay fees for the GC.

A ten digit alphanumeric code does sound like a receipt number, but that should only be created once the USCIS fee is paid so I don’t think that’s it. Doug - I’m assuming these numbers you talk about don’t start with IOE?
It’s not visa numbers though - US visa numbers are 8 digits long, usually all numbers, apparently occasionally one letter followed by 7 numbers.
I wonder if it is A-numbers. A-numbers for our family were all consecutive. Those do get allocated in advance of visas being issued for some reason. Someone once posted about paying their USCIS fee because the embassy gave them details of their A numbers at their interview, and then they didn’t end up getting the visas. I can’t recall if that was a DV or other IV case though.

Last edited:
So just a question. I’ve just received my GC in the mail (woohoo) but have just noticed that my middle name is missing the last letter. My name already is quite long, and I know that with the SSN my name isn’t fully printed in that either. On all my documents it has been listed correctly. Is there a character limit on the GC (like there is on the SSN) or has the office got it wrong? I can’t seem to find any info online :)

So just a question. I’ve just received my GC in the mail (woohoo) but have just noticed that my middle name is missing the last letter. My name already is quite long, and I know that with the SSN my name isn’t fully printed in that either. On all my documents it has been listed correctly. Is there a character limit on the GC (like there is on the SSN) or has the office got it wrong? I can’t seem to find any info online :)

When you say missing the last letter, do you mean on the back of the green card?
What does it say on your actual visa?

FYI: Informal internet stuff mentions 18 letter limit per name on green card. I don’t know how valid that is.

On the front. Where the picture and fingerprint is.

My actual visa in my passport is correct.

I’ve only got my middle initial on the front, but my full name on the back. Check the back? If your visa is correct it means the name is correct in the system. You can always contact uscis to confirm & put your mind at rest.

I’ve only got my middle initial on the front, but my full name on the back. Check the back?
It’s the same both on the front and back.

If your visa is correct it means the name is correct in the system. You can always contact uscis to confirm & put your mind at rest.
Just pulled out my visa in my passport which is correct. I’m going to contact them to see If there is going to be an issue.

Seems that there is in fact an 18 character count (including spaces) for given names, which includes both first and middle name. So with that, the count on mine is 19, hence why the last letter is missing :)

Well that has to put your mind at ease for sure! I have been checking the journey of my green card via the aus post site. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Wednesday!