• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

I have a question for those that have gone before please. What happens to your medicare card in Australia? Do you have to give it back? Do they cancel it? I am planning on getting health insurance straight away, but would like to still have it there just in case!
Technically if you are not an aussie resident you are not entitled to medicare, that said I'm told you have 5 years of absence before you need to prove your resident status - so just keep your card and you'll be good for 5 years at least

I have a question for those that have gone before please. What happens to your medicare card in Australia? Do you have to give it back? Do they cancel it? I am planning on getting health insurance straight away, but would like to still have it there just in case!
A friend of mine who works for Medicare suggested that I get a new card printed for 5 years so in case I come back during that time my card won’t have expired and I can use services immediately although I’m sure it wouldn’t be an issue.

Reminder: for those that have their phone number tied to their myGov or ato accounts that send you an sms when logging in remember to change that before you move overseas. That way next year when you need to do your tax etc you can log in no worries. I switched mine over to voice recognition.

Just a quick question regarding secured credit cards I remember someone in here saying they applied and got the card sent to their Australian address. Would it be possible to get one done during an activation trip and sent to my Australian address so I can’t get a head start on building a credit score.

Just a quick question regarding secured credit cards I remember someone in here saying they applied and got the card sent to their Australian address. Would it be possible to get one done during an activation trip and sent to my Australian address so I can’t get a head start on building a credit score.
Can get a head start rather.

I'm not sure if they will post the cards overseas but I'm sure you can always get them sent to you by a friend.

Just one tip: many banks will quiz / reject overseas transactions UNLESS you have informed them that you are overseas. When I'm travelling, I let my bank know that I'm overseas, so that I have no problems.

I'm not sure if they will post the cards overseas but I'm sure you can always get them sent to you by a friend.

Just one tip: many banks will quiz / reject overseas transactions UNLESS you have informed them that you are overseas. When I'm travelling, I let my bank know that I'm overseas, so that I have no problems.
Awesome thank you!

Yay, i got a (prelim) job offer today! Depends on proving a few things but if I can prove to the US govt I'm a good boy, then I'm sure I can prove it to these guys! Just wish I had a Texas drivers licence, the 30 day stand down really is a killer for me. So many times have been asked for my drivers licence over the last few weeks...

The clever banks send you emails when you buy air tickets to let you know they have added that country on ;)
I've been told to do this but never really had a problem, and an instant text to respond to in the rare cases they query
I DID however have a big hospital bill in Mexico declined ... (while I was safely at home..someone trying to use my card for one of those dodgy procedures people go down there for i guess....)

Yay, i got a (prelim) job offer today! Depends on proving a few things but if I can prove to the US govt I'm a good boy, then I'm sure I can prove it to these guys! Just wish I had a Texas drivers licence, the 30 day stand down really is a killer for me. So many times have been asked for my drivers licence over the last few weeks...
Congrats Bob!!
Are they wanting your drivers licence for ID purposes? Can you use your NZ one or your passport? Or do they require it for other reasons?

Congratulations!!!! So excited for you!

Thanks! No, the job itself requires some minor driving from time to time. Hence the need for a TX licence. I should be ok though, I spoke to him about it and he said I won't be driving for the first month or so anyway.

Very weird that TX has this 30-day residency requirement, seems to make no sense to me. Either you're a resident or not I would have thought, I have a lease agreement what else do they need. Anyway, that's the way it is so no point going on about it.

Oh, I also got the greencards today so that is good. Since I can't do the drivers licence thing yet I am half thinking of spending the weekend in NYC. Tempting....

Has anyone got interviews coming up this week?

Medical for the 4 of us in 2 weeks. Interview a month after that. It took a LOT of to-and-fro with the consulate, but I finally managed to get an interview date for when I'll be home. Only a month before cut off, eek!