• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

One year, although you can do up to two years if you apply for a re-entry permit before leaving. You could still get a hard time at the border though.

Hi all, my spouse and I have completed the visa application process for DV 2019, and will need to enter the US for the first time by early September 2019. We had planned to do this together, understanding that I (as the principal applicant) would need to enter before or at the same time as her. However, she has been asked to travel in early August 2019 to the US west coast, and it is inconvenient for me to accompany her at that time, rather than September.

I understand the language around this is fairly unamabiguous, but I still thought I'd ask this knowledgable group if there's any way around this - can she apply and enter under an another non-immigrant visa or anything like that? Or are we simply stuck between a choice for me to either travel with her or her not go?

Hi all, my spouse and I have completed the visa application process for DV 2019, and will need to enter the US for the first time by early September 2019. We had planned to do this together, understanding that I (as the principal applicant) would need to enter before or at the same time as her. However, she has been asked to travel in early August 2019 to the US west coast, and it is inconvenient for me to accompany her at that time, rather than September.

I understand the language around this is fairly unamabiguous, but I still thought I'd ask this knowledgable group if there's any way around this - can she apply and enter under an another non-immigrant visa or anything like that? Or are we simply stuck between a choice for me to either travel with her or her not go?

She will not be admitted in another visa status since she already has the NIV in her passport. You’ll either have to travel and enter the US with her in August or she waits until September and you both travel together as previously planned.

If you look at the visa in your passport it states for them "only valid if accompanied by spouse" or some sort (near the bottom).

Travel to Hawaii for a romantic weekend together in August. Then you both go your separate ways again until September?

Hey guys,

So I am heading to L.A. on the 21st July to activate my Green Card and just wanted to check all I need is my Yellow packet and Passport with the visa stamp?

It's an Activation trip for a couple of weeks.

Also, I read earlier that they may want to check the address I put down. It's a friends house but I won't be staying there for the Activation Trip I have booked an Airbnb should I tell them this or say I am staying at the address I put down?

Also, do you have to pay for the GC online beforehand or at Immigration POE?

Cheers, thanks,
Julian

Hey guys,

So I am heading to L.A. on the 21st July to activate my Green Card and just wanted to check all I need is my Yellow packet and Passport with the visa stamp?

Also, I read earlier that they may want to check the address I put down. It's a friends house but I won't be staying there for the Activation Trip I have booked an Airbnb should I tell them this or say I am staying at the address I put down?

Cheers, thanks,
Julian
Hey Julian

Congratulations again. The packet and the passport is all you need. I put my friends address as well. I’m sure that will be fine and you can let the Immigragtion know if they ask. I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem.

Hey Julian

Congratulations again. The packet and the passport is all you need. I put my friends address as well. I’m sure that will be fine and you can let the Immigragtion know if they ask. I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem.
Cheers thanks

Another question I am going for 2-3 weeks from 21st July and have entered a screenwriting program that I nearly got into on the last round and think I have a good shot at getting which starts on Sep 8th but I may have to come back to Aus in between before returning. Is it hard to get back in without my Green Card yet as it is going to a friends house or should I just stay in LA, funds are tight atm. I just want to know if I can get back in without the GC in hand yet as my visa in the passport expires on Aug 2nd and I don't think I can do ESTA after that.

Hey guys,

Cheers, thanks,
Julian

They don’t care whether or not you actually stay at the address. It is listed as a valid address for your green card and SSN card to be sent to. Assuming it is still ok for that, no problem.

You pay the fee online. You can pay it whenever you want really, but your green card won’t be produced and sent until you do, so best not to leave it too long after you enter. Better to pay before.

Another question I am going for 2-3 weeks from 21st July and have entered a screenwriting program that I nearly got into on the last round and think I have a good shot at getting which starts on Sep 8th but I may have to come back to Aus in between before returning. Is it hard to get back in without my Green Card yet as it is going to a friends house or should I just stay in LA, funds are tight atm. I just want to know if I can get back in without the GC in hand yet as my visa in the passport expires on Aug 2nd and I don't think I can do ESTA after that.

The visa is one time and expires when you use it. However your immigrant visa when stamped becomes a temporary green card valid for a year and you can use that for re-entry. Read the small print at the bottom of the visa.

thanks for your responses to my earlier question! I also wanted to ask about entering the US for the first time from a land border crossing from Canada - has anyone here done this? I presume the process is exactly the same as entering via LAX or SFO, just a bit less streamlined?

The visa is one time and expires when you use it. However your immigrant visa when stamped becomes a temporary green card valid for a year and you can use that for re-entry. Read the small print at the bottom of the visa.
Thanks on both questions.

Did they not give you the info with your visa packet?
All I received was the yellow packet and passport back- no further documentation on what to do next or how to pay the fee was included in this.

There should be an email from Sydney Embassy that provides a link to where you should pay your fee. It's the one you get when they tell you you're visa has been issued.

Just re-read this email myself. The info required is all there. Now though after reading again, has anyone’s else’s annotation field on their visa been left blank? Should it have something printed here? Everything else is correct on it.

I have a question for those that have gone before please. What happens to your medicare card in Australia? Do you have to give it back? Do they cancel it? I am planning on getting health insurance straight away, but would like to still have it there just in case!