• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Re chocolate and chips etc - look to see if there is a World Market near you - they are also online if there isn’t one in your area I know they sell some Aussie stuff but not sure exactly what (they do have vegemite).
https://www.worldmarket.com/category/food-and-drink/international-favorites.do
https://www.worldmarket.com/category/food-and-drink/international-favorites/australian-food.do
The chocolate selection is European (British, Belgian, German, swiss) so much better than local stuff.

That's pretty funny. Pay $220 in fees for the card and they send it in the regular mail. Then once it gets lost, charge you again and wait 6 months for the replacement. Some things are universal.
It’s surprisingly unusual for things to get lost in the mail here, and USPS has particular instructions for USCIS mail.
If it is genuinely lost in the mail (not you gave the wrong address) you don’t have to pay for the replacement. But normally lost in the mail for green cards = returned to USCIS.

I guess so. It just seems a weird thing to send in the regular post without any means to track or verify ID. But good to hear the USPS have procedures in place.

I guess so. It just seems a weird thing to send in the regular post without any means to track or verify ID. But good to hear the USPS have procedures in place.

I just received a $20k credit card in normal mail from an Aussie bank.

And I had a $10 bottle of shampoo requiring a person to sign for it. *shrug*

It’s still tracked through regular post. I’m not sure how the system works these days but tracking case status via the IOE number in the old days showed when it was produced, mailed, en route, and delivered.

Edit: I just checked a receipt number for a replacement card we had to order, and it also shows delivery date as well as a USPS tracking number. So they still track it under the new system too.

If I’m going over for an activation trip can I go into social security and get my card over the counter rather than waiting for it to be sent out?

How long is your activation trip? I got my SSN in about a week
About 8 days. Aidyn which port did you enter by? I read that where you get processed is where your card will be issued from so I was thinking of going via sfo rather than lax as less people travelling via sfo.

About 8 days. Aidyn which port did you enter by? I read that where you get processed is where your card will be issued from so I was thinking of going via sfo rather than lax as less people travelling via sfo.
What do you mean by “less”? Less international arrivals? Less new immigrant arrivals?

Also while the green cards get triggered from the airport they are all sent from the same place. Not sure where SS cards are sent from but it would make sense to be the address you’ve given rather than where you landed. We landed sfo and our SS cards arrived in nyc 10 days later.

It’s still tracked through regular post. I’m not sure how the system works these days but tracking case status via the IOE number in the old days showed when it was produced, mailed, en route, and delivered.

Edit: I just checked a receipt number for a replacement card we had to order, and it also shows delivery date as well as a USPS tracking number. So they still track it under the new system too.

Oh that's good. I don't see a tracking number but perhaps it takes a day or two. As long as I can track something I'm happy.

What would be the maximum length of time one could live outside of the US after doing an activation trip? I want to avoid risking my green card and any re-entry issues but I have a promotion opportunity to work in Asia for 6-12 months which I'm hoping to pursue before moving to the US.