• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Awesome about the driving test! Did you cope ok with driving on the other side of the road?

I think Texas has a practical and written test also, has anyone done the Texas one? I'm struggling to understand the process for Texas.

Also I am pretty happy, managed to actually get a flat over the internet in a community. Very high yelp/google reviews and right next to the school.
It looks pretty much like @Aidyn described in TX too. I was able to do a written test by walking-in to DMV. Driving part was scheduled a few days later. Took less than 10 minutes. Literally, 4 right turns and we were back at the DMV.

Awesome about the driving test! Did you cope ok with driving on the other side of the road?

I think Texas has a practical and written test also, has anyone done the Texas one? I'm struggling to understand the process for Texas.

Also I am pretty happy, managed to actually get a flat over the internet in a community. Very high yelp/google reviews and right next to the school.

Looking at something to rent on the internet is fine but be very careful to not pay amything or.provide info about yourself before you have seen what you are renting.

Looking at something to rent on the internet is fine but be very careful to not pay amything or.provide info about yourself before you have seen what you are renting.

Indeed. They're a large chain of apartments through Texas and California so they're ok i think.

It looks pretty much like @Aidyn described in TX too. I was able to do a written test by walking-in to DMV. Driving part was scheduled a few days later. Took less than 10 minutes. Literally, 4 right turns and we were back at the DMV.

Oh that's cool. It was going on about some impact driving school and weird stuff. I think we will just visit the DMV a day or two after arriving and talk to someone.

Hi all,

So I've booked my medical in Melbourne for late may and have my interview mid-June in Sydney, which is super exciting!

I've got a question that some googling has not answered. I currently work in Melbourne for a company based in NYC and I asked them to provide an employment offer letter to help my chances of being approved, as my bank balance is not huge at the moment (however, it contains more than the US poverty guideline of annual income).

They have agreed to offer me a 'letter of employment intent' for the NYC business, but as they've never put one together before (and neither have I), would anybody here know what would be required to be written on said letter?

I'm also toying with the idea of getting an affidavit of support from some extended family in the US, but I don't really want to go down this route.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Hi all,

So I've booked my medical in Melbourne for late may and have my interview mid-June in Sydney, which is super exciting!

I've got a question that some googling has not answered. I currently work in Melbourne for a company based in NYC and I asked them to provide an employment offer letter to help my chances of being approved, as my bank balance is not huge at the moment (however, it contains more than the US poverty guideline of annual income).

They have agreed to offer me a 'letter of employment intent' for the NYC business, but as they've never put one together before (and neither have I), would anybody here know what would be required to be written on said letter?

I'm also toying with the idea of getting an affidavit of support from some extended family in the US, but I don't really want to go down this route.

I don't think the poverty guidelines indicate how much cash you have in the bank, but what the annual income should be. If your pay slips multiplied across 12 months indicate more than the income in the guidelines, plus you have it again in cash, I don't think you have a reason to need an affidavit of support.

Great that you have a job to slide right into once you come over. Not sure what the letter should specifically entail, sorry.

I don't think the poverty guidelines indicate how much cash you have in the bank, but what the annual income should be. If your pay slips multiplied across 12 months indicate more than the income in the guidelines, plus you have it again in cash, I don't think you have a reason to need an affidavit of support.

Great that you have a job to slide right into once you come over. Not sure what the letter should specifically entail, sorry.

Thank you for the advice!

Hi all,

In DV cases, the poverty guidelines are used to assess the income level of the SPONSOR in relation to the total combined family size (sponsor plus family AND selectee plus derivatives). That is used on I-134 which is the AOS form used in DV cases.

For the scenario you mention Michael, you probably don't need a letter from the prospective employer. Three reasons for that.
1. Sydney rarely ask anything about financials (somewhat unusually, so it could change).
2. Your savings would probably be enough to satisfy them.
3. You could talk about the possibility of the transfer.

As I mention in point 1, points 2 and 3 are unlikely to be discussed much if at all. So - no need to overthink this.

Hi Guys,

My consulate interview is on a Tuesday and I need my passport back for an exam on the following Saturday, I won't get it back in time with the usual process.

Has anyone had any luck picking up their passport from the consulate within a day or two of the interview?
Any ideas for what I can do?

Thanks

Is there no other ID you can use for your exam?

You can request to take your passport with you on the day and return it to them after your exam - there was a guy that did this on the day I interviewed.

Hi Guys,

My consulate interview is on a Tuesday and I need my passport back for an exam on the following Saturday, I won't get it back in time with the usual process.

Has anyone had any luck picking up their passport from the consulate within a day or two of the interview?
Any ideas for what I can do?

Thanks
Good Luck !!!!!

Is there no other ID you can use for your exam?

You can request to take your passport with you on the day and return it to them after your exam - there was a guy that did this on the day I interviewed.

Thanks Aidyn, I'll give that a go! Unfortunately, they're really strict about ID in the exam :(

So what do people do if they don't have a passport at all?

Some exams like the GRE require candidates to provide a valid passport if the candidate is seating the exam outside their country of citizenship. My son had to forfeit his first attempt (fee is non-refundable) about 2 years ago when he showed up at the test venue with just his GC and driver’s license. USCs on the other hand we’re allowed into the exam venue with just their government issued ID cards such as a driver’s license.

Some exams like the GRE require candidates to provide a valid passport if the candidate is seating the exam outside their country of citizenship. My son had to forfeit his first attempt (fee is non-refundable) about 2 years ago when he showed up at the test venue with just his GC and driver’s license. USCs on the other hand we’re allowed into the exam venue with just their government issued ID cards such as a driver’s license.
Yes, it's a similar thing for the CFA, I'd have to forfeit the $1000 fee, they wouldn't let me take the exam