• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Medical

Pre Appointment
I got blood work done to see what injections I required. Three were needed they were...

Flu
Tetnus Dip and Pertussis
Measles Mumps Rubella
Total cost $75

Appointment Day
Being a Queenslander I opted to do my medical in Brisbane. I made my booking with Dr Taylor about 3 weeks ago.

When you book your appointment you are required to put a deposit of $100 to hold your time slot.

The surgery is so easy to find you just take the escalator to the street level from central station and you’re there!

The receptionist is lovely and very helpful. Make sure you take copies of your blood work and documentation to give to her. Have your passport ready too as they will need to see it at the drs, pathology and X-Ray place.

My appointment was for 1030 but due to a no show I was able to get in slightly earlier.

Examination

Like all things visa related there is a lot of paperwork. Dr Taylor and I went through a list of questions, about 4 pages. They were very straightforward, things like...

Have you self harmed? This includes things like drink driving as well.
Do you have leprosy?
Have you tested positive for HIV
Have you been hospitalised for mental health issues?

Then on to the physical part, there was a general prodding and poking. A check of reflexes. Squat and touch toes and a check of feet to see if there were any ulcers.

Lastly was the weight check and blood pressure test. My blood pressure was a bit high so it was taken twice and had dropped the second time(2 minute interval) Dr Taylor asked me if I was anxious about the medical which I had been and I also hadn’t slept for the 22 hours prior to having my medical due to work. He said it would be fine though.

I paid and left the drs to go get my blood work done which was a simple jab and handed over the pee sample.

Then on to the X-ray place which was pretty busy but I was seen quickly.

After that I was done all up it took about 2 hours start to finish.

Summary: Dr Taylor is great. The medical is easy. Plan about 2/2:30 for your medical.

Total cost $680 including injections

I’m now officially a legal permanent resident....
The longest part of immigration was the 1 3/4 hour wait in the line (pretty standard for LAX) the first CBP officer doesn’t normally work at LAX and was unsure of their procedures for processing new immigrants.
He called through to a second officer who took me to a desk at the far end of the area, opened my visa packet, confirmed my address, he then stamped my passport and wrote my alien number under the stamp and told me it was my proof of status until my green card arrived. The whole process took no more than 15 mins and both officers were very nice.

Now I’m waiting for my flight to Seattle.....

Then sleep!!!
Congratulations!!

Thank you, did you enter the lottery last year? We are a week or so off the new draw results so that’s a bit exciting.

Thank you, did you enter the lottery last year? We are a week or so off the new draw results so that’s a bit exciting.
Very exciting. No, this is our first time entering. We have talked about it in the past and a number of years ago I even started to fill in the online form. We have lived in a few countries as expats and travelled to the US numerous times. We did a cruise out of Orlando last year, and finally my husband is completely on board with trying. I have been stalking the forums since October last year. Don't want to get to excited though, it is a lottery after all.

Was on night shift, so saw the email come through at 0353 hrs.

Naturally, my interview date is when I'm working overseas, so have emailed the consulate requesting it be changed to about 3 weeks later. Will see what happens!