• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

You actually need to be a little careful. Up until recently, the rules were based on successful secondary school completion (equivilent to US High school where an American kid would start college, typically age 18). Now - recently the guidance was amended to say "at least" a US High school equivalent. Evaluations or GED routes are not acceptable - and your route to the higher degrees is the sort of thing that would have been risky in the past. So - because COs are slow to adapt, there is still a little risk.

My advice would be to prepare a work experience case as a backup - and overwhelm the CO with ways to approve you.

Thanks for that, and that was something I was concerned about in regards to my education pathway.

Hi everyone, I entered the lottery and was selected for further processing. My case number is 6XX. I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help answer!

1. Does anyone have any idea when my interview it likely to be scheduled with the above case number?

2. I have also submitted my DS-260 form - does this cause any issues for me should I wish to travel to the US in the time before my interview? I may have to travel there for work soon. I have an expired ESTA VISA so would need to reapply for this but am wondering if there will be any issues when I do reapply or when I land in the country!

3. There is a chance my husband may be able to transfer and get a position working for his current company over in the US, so we may not need this Diversity VISA to get over there. However, now that I have submitted the DS-260 form, will this cause any issues with going down this alternative route?

4. If we did want to still pursue the DV VISA and we were already working over in the US, can we still attend our scheduled interview and go through the whole process? Are there any US consulates we could attend our interview at instead (rather than flying all the way to Sydney!)?

Thanks in advance!

1. Check out BritSimon's site. He has the historical data. http://britsimonsays.com/historical-visa-bulletin-numbers/

2. Not necessarily an issue. Get a new ESTA. You might have a couple of questions at the border because, by submitting the DS260, you have signaled immigrant intent. Just make sure you have evidence with you of intent to return to Oz.

3. This will depend on what you want. Do you want a GC that gives you permanent residency? The DV guarantees that. I'm not sure what visa your husband's company is offering but it may not lead to a GC and there may be limitations on your ability to work. But yes, to answer your question, submitting your DS260 signals immigrant intent so a non-immigrant visa (like a work visa) may be harder to get.

4. I'll wait for wiser heads (like @Sm1smom) to answer this but you can adjust status in the US. Entering the US on a non-immigrant visa with the intent to adjust, however, is fraud.

3. There is a chance my husband may be able to transfer and get a position working for his current company over in the US, so we may not need this Diversity VISA to get over there. However, now that I have submitted the DS-260 form, will this cause any issues with going down this alternative route?

Just to add to what Emily said and reinforce this point - do you want to live in the US for a while, or do you want to move there permanently? There are different types of work visas but generally they tie you to a specific employer, have to be renewed periodically, and do not allow derivatives to work.

There are different types of work visas but generally they tie you to a specific employer, have to be renewed periodically, and do not allow derivatives to work.

Depends on the work visa type. A couple do allow derivatives to work. E-2 and L-2 allow derivatives to work.

Depends on the work visa type. A couple do allow derivatives to work. E-2 and L-2 allow derivatives to work.

Hence my “generally” ;) L is also quite an easy path to green card of course. Maybe just where I am but most work visa holders I know are H or O. Anyway I suspect SMD1810 at this stage does not know what visa type they would be looking at - though I guess a transfer makes L or O more likely than H.

Well we have a few selectees in here now with a fairly even spread of numbers hopefully as time rolls on we will get a few more people coming through...

2xx - Mathew540

2xx - NzFamilyX6

4xx - Bob22

4xx - DougNNNN

6xx- SMD1810

8xx - Mijoro

9xx - Kb’s Quest

13xx - Sparkymicadonis

Well we have a few selectees in here now with a fairly even spread of numbers hopefully as time rolls on we will get a few more people coming through...

2xx - Mathew540

2xx - NzFamilyX6

4xx - Bob22

4xx - DougNNNN

6xx- SMD1810

8xx - Mijoro

9xx - Kb’s Quest

13xx - Sparkymicadonis
Has everyone lodged their DS-260 or holding off for a bit?

I’ve held off filling mine out. I want to get to the 2019 fiscal year before I do mine as I won’t be interviewed till March or April. I’m hesitant because if they pull it before they start the 2019 ones I don’t want that blip on my record later on down the track.

I am going to hold off until July
I’ve held off filling mine out. I want to get to the 2019 fiscal year before I do mine as I won’t be interviewed till March or April. I’m hesitant because if they pull it before they start the 2019 ones I don’t want that blip on my record later on down the track.
So you won't be filing until October? If there is no benefit on sending it in early, I may do the same :)

I am going to hold off until July

So you won't be filing until October? If there is no benefit on sending it in early, I may do the same :)
With case numbers like ours there is no advantage to sending it in early. So I’m going to wait and see and at least get my shots done.

Can’t wait to hear about how all of the interviews go. I’m getting excited. Is anyone else travelling a long way to get their medical done. I’m thinking of getting mine done in nsw rather than Queensland as we have no female doctors.

Can’t wait to hear about how all of the interviews go. I’m getting excited. Is anyone else travelling a long way to get their medical done. I’m thinking of getting mine done in nsw rather than Queensland as we have no female doctors.
How intrusive are the medicals? I am just planning on going to Brisbane for mine when the time comes.

Shots wise I plan to also get them if required. Planning on seeing my general GP in the coming weeks to get a plan underway.

How intrusive are the medicals? I am just planning on going to Brisbane for mine when the time comes.

Shots wise I plan to also get them if required. Planning on seeing my general GP in the coming weeks to get a plan underway.

Good to see another Queenslander in here. I’m pretty sure that they have to look at you man or lady bits during the heath check. If it were just a normal check then it might not be an issue but I’d prefer a lady doctor and a trip to Sydney isn’t a bad thing.