• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

Hello all,

I need your thoughts in my case. A couple of days ago i mailed that AOS package. I am on F1 visa. I am also eligible to file for asylum. I realized there is 1 year limitation to apply for asylum. but under some circumstance you can still apply for asylum after one year. After following two weeks, i have lived for 1 year in US. That means i only have two weeks to apply for asylum. Since getting a green card through lottery is not guaranteed, i am not gonna lose my chance of applying for asylum and live this country which is safe for me. But, I am worry if i apply for asylum, my case with AOS through lottery get complicated. Do you think applying for asylum would jeopardize my AOS process?

In the other hand, do you think i can wait to see what will happen for my AOS process and then apply for asylum?
Do you think is this an acceptable reason if they ask me why i did not apply for asylum during 1 year of my arrival?
In my opinion, it would be a logical reason. Because i was safe in this country and i saw no reason to be in a rush and apply for asylum. and after i realized i won the lottery i saw i can go for AOS process and get my green card and live in this safe country. Because both of the process, applying for asylum and AOS through lottery, will be led to the same thing and that is having the permission to live in this safe country which is a necessity for my specific case to survive my life.

Pour your thoughts in this matter. I appreciate in advance.

This is not a DV based AOS process related questions, so I have no other comment except to recommend you speak with a competent and reputable immigration attorney.

I think you should ask this question in "Political Aylum" threads.

Not everyone in this AOS Thread know about asylum rules.

People on the Political Asylum thread cannot provide adequate guidance either IMO - they have no knowledge of DV based AOS petitions. OP should speak with an immigration attorney for better guidance.

Dear Mom and all

Thank you for your patience and kindness in advance.

I have two questions.

1) In 2016, Something disasterous happened to me. My father suddenly got cancer and passed away. He was a surgeon and fairly wealthy so I inherited a fortune which is not that much but yet a little bit big for a student. My family sent the money to me but since there is no financial transaction between the Iranian banks and American ones the process of transferring money is to send it first to a third country (usually Malaysia) and someone there will deposit the money directly on your account in America. I just wanted to ask if this amount of money could make the USCIS suspicious about the origin of it. May they ask "OK. This guy is a student and we have no direct transactions with Iran so where did he get this money from?" Could it have a negative effect?

2) I have been pulled over by the police twice in America. The first time I was driving alone without driver license. The police pulled me over and told me to call a friend with a valid driver license since I was not allowed to drive without having such a friend with me. I was lucky enough to call a friend and he got there in 3 minutes and the officer let us go without any ticket or fines. The second time I was pulled over because my plate had expired and the police told me he put a warning for me and let me go again without anything else. My question is if I need to mark "yes" for the question "Have you ever been arrested, detained, cited,..." on page 10 in the form I-485? Do these count as arrest?

Dear Mom and all

I have two questions.

1) In 2016, Something disasterous happened to me. My father suddenly got cancer and passed away. He was a surgeon and fairly wealthy so I inherited a fortune which is not that much but yet a little bit big for a student. My family sent the money to me but since there is no financial transaction between the Iranian banks and American ones the process of transferring money is to send it first to a third country (usually Malaysia) and someone there will deposit the money directly on your account in America. I just wanted to ask if this amount of money could make the USCIS suspicious about the origin of it. May they ask "OK. This guy is a student and we have no direct transactions with Iran so where did he get this money from?" Could it have a negative effect?

2) I have been pulled over by the police twice in America. The first time I was driving alone without driver license. The police pulled me over and told me to call a friend with a valid driver license since I was not allowed to drive without having such a friend with me. I was lucky enough to call a friend and he got there in 3 minutes and the officer let us go without any ticket or fines. The second time I was pulled over because my plate had expired and the police told me he put a warning for me and let me go again without anything else. My question is if I need to mark "yes" for the question "Have you ever been arrested, detained, cited,..." on page 10 in the form I-485? Do these count as arrest?

1) if the amount is over $10000 you will in any case have to disclose the source of the funds to the US bank it’s beinh deposited into. Suggest you keep the correspondence in that regard in case it comes up at interview (no idea if it will).

Dear Mom and all

I have two questions.

1. It shouldn’t negatively impact your case as long as you can explain (and provide documented proof of the source of the fund) if required.

2. Answer “NO” - a warning is not the same thing as a citation.

Hi, My case status in the uscis website indicates that " Fingerprint Fee Was Received".

Is that normal?

I have had a fingerprint last year for my asylum application, should I wait for another biometric or this sentence " Fingerprint Fee Was Received" means I don't need another fingerprint?

I am asking this question because I need my EAD for May 2019 and I want to request an expedite for getting the EAD based on i485 pending before the end of April. I have a letter from my employer that indicated, if I am not able to work after May it will cause severe financial loss for their business and according to the website it is a good reason to expedite my EAD.

I don't know if I should send the request to expedite now or should I wait after fingerprint?

Is fingerprint related to i765 or biometric is only for i485?

Hi, My case status in the uscis website indicates that " Fingerprint Fee Was Received".

Is that normal?

I have had a fingerprint last year for my asylum application, should I wait for another biometric or this sentence " Fingerprint Fee Was Received" means I don't need another fingerprint?

You will most likely be required to attend a new bio appointment.

1. It shouldn’t negatively impact your case as long as you can explain (and provide documented proof of the source of the fund) if required.

2. Answer “NO” - a warning is not the same thing as a citation.

Thank you Mom for your response

But do you have any suggestion about providing a proof. What could I give that to prove I inherited a part of it and it is coming from my family? I asked my bank and they told me it could not be tracked so I could only write a letter to USCIS and explain where exactly the money has come from. I don't know if it works or not? What would be your suggestion?

another thing is, on the page below it is said that I-20 documents must be submitted in the original but in the spread sheet tab 6 it is said a copy would be enough. My question is if I need to make all my copies certified? Or just a simple copy would work?

forms/file-my-application-online-e-filing/how-do-i-know-if-i-need-original-documents

Attachments

• I20.jpg
    I20.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 11
Hi,
I am just wondering whether I can pay the processing fee$ 330 before my number become current?. I went through your thread about AOS. Wanted make sure that I understood this process correctly. I filled out the DS 260 and waiting for my number to be current. I assume USCIS only knows that I will be doing AOS after I pay $330.
I am I right?.
Thank you so much for helping out with all the questions.

Thank you Mom for your response

But do you have any suggestion about providing a proof. What could I give that to prove I inherited a part of it and it is coming from my family? I asked my bank and they told me it could not be tracked so I could only write a letter to USCIS and explain where exactly the money has come from. I don't know if it works or not? What would be your suggestion?

another thing is, on the page below it is said that I-20 documents must be submitted in the original but in the spread sheet tab 6 it is said a copy would be enough. My question is if I need to make all my copies certified? Or just a simple copy would work?

forms/file-my-application-online-e-filing/how-do-i-know-if-i-need-original-documents

1. I don’t know what you can present as proof.

2. Simple “copies” just like the spreadsheet says.

Hi,
I am just wondering whether I can pay the processing fee$ 330 before my number become current?. I went through your thread about AOS. Wanted make sure that I understood this process correctly. I filled out the DS 260 and waiting for my number to be current. I assume USCIS only knows that I will be doing AOS after I pay $330.
I am I right?.
Thank you so much for helping out with all the questions.

1. Yes you can. As long as you’re aware there will be no refund if your CN doesn’t become current.

2. DS260 completion signifies an immigrant intent. USCIS becomes aware of your AOS decision when you send in your AOS package, not when you pay the $330 DV administrative fee which by the way is another form of signifying an immigrant intent.

Hi,

1) No. Actually it is not required for High School certificate to be evaluated and it would be a waste of time in my opinion. On the other hand HS diploma does NOT count as an academic degree and evaluation services usually do not evaluate it. They only do the academic degrees beyond high school (secondary education) diploma.

2) I don't think there would be any online service for evaluating your degrees. They need to see the physical copy and official translations and the process is always done via mail.

3) It defers from one company to another. It also depends on what kind of service (or report) you are applying for. The average time could be between one week to 10 business days if you only want to get a document-by-document report for all of your academic degrees.

Thank you very much @mechanici23 for your response!

T
1. Yes you can. As long as you’re aware there will be no refund if your CN doesn’t become current.

2. DS260 completion signifies an immigrant intent. USCIS becomes aware of your AOS decision when you send in your AOS package, not when you pay the $330 DV administrative fee which by the way is another form of signifying an immigrant intent.
Thank you for your response and time!

Hello Everyone,

I have a AOS packaging related question.

I received 3 sealed envelopes for medical tests. And I realized the size of these envelopes are bigger than regular A4 sheets. So, it seems the whole AOS package is going to be thick and wide.

1) Can you please let me know, what kind of box/cover/envelope you have used to send all documents together (specially considering the larger sealed medical envelopes)?

2) Is there any specific USPS, UPS or FedEx packaging option (box, envelope) that was used for this?

3) Are we allowed to send all documents in a box, instead of in an envelope?

4) Any oppinions on double punching all documents vs. other options to keep documents together?

5) How did you seperate applications, when applying with family?

6) Did you have separate payments for each family member?

Hi Mom

Yesterday we had the interview. Thanks to the USCIS officer, all were very polite and smoothly. We made some chaos there with our 2 y.o. kid, but the officer was very understandable, thanks one more time to him.

At the end of the interview, he said that he would request the Department of State for the visa, said that we are approved and congratulated us.

Actually, I have a question as well. I read that usually at the night after the interview people receive the notifications about case status change. But I have no notifications yet. I checked on the USCIS site. Still "fingerprint fee was received" there. Is it normal, is it usual?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone,

I have a AOS packaging related question.

I received 3 sealed envelopes for medical tests. And I realized the size of these envelopes are bigger than regular A4 sheets. So, it seems the whole AOS package is going to be thick and wide.

1) Can you please let me know, what kind of box/cover/envelope you have used to send all documents together (specially considering the larger sealed medical envelopes)?

2) Is there any specific USPS, UPS or FedEx packaging option (box, envelope) that was used for this?

3) Are we allowed to send all documents in a box, instead of in an envelope?

4) Any oppinions on double punching all documents vs. other options to keep documents together?

5) How did you seperate applications, when applying with family?

6) Did you have separate payments for each family member?

1, 2, 3, 4: Stop overthinking package mailing. Use your best judgement in addition to all the previous response you’ve already been provided with, in addition to the information already available on the AOS process spreadsheet!

4. Each applicant’s package should be an individual bundle on its own with all the applicable forms and documents. The bundles go into a single package for mailing.

5. It is advisable for each bundle to have an individual check attached to it.

Hi Mom

Yesterday we had the interview. Thanks to the USCIS officer, all were very polite and smoothly. We made some chaos there with our 2 y.o. kid, but the officer was very understandable, thanks one more time to him.

At the end of the interview, he said that he would request the Department of State for the visa, said that we are approved and congratulated us.

Actually, I have a question as well. I read that usually at the night after the interview people receive the notifications about case status change. But I have no notifications yet. I checked on the USCIS site. Still "fingerprint fee was received" there. Is it normal, is it usual?

Thanks in advance.

Yes that is normal.

Hi Mom,
We had our bio's done two months ago for my EB2 process. However received another set of bio appointments today for my wife's DV application which we filed a few weeks ago. The same alien number was used for both. Just wondering what the best way to handle the situation would be. Should we try calling NBC and explain it? Or better pay a visit to to the local Application Support Center again?
Thanks.