• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 AOS Only

1. I’m not in a position to say or know if someone is or not. Your FO’s workload and your background check determines when you complete the process.

2. If you’re residential address changes and falls under a different FO while your AOS petition is pending, that is likely to add additional time to your processing as your case file will need to be transferred to the new FO with jurisdiction over your new home address.

3. Your status will become Adjustment Pending, which is okay. Only thing to be aware of is the fact that you will have no fall back status in that situation if your AOS petition gets denied for any reason.

4. These are two independent process, fortunately for you though H1B is a dual intent status so there shouldn’t be an issue to continue with it if AOS fails.

5. Email KCC to unlock your form, update the home address, send a follow up email to KCC letting them know you’re switching from AOS to CP.

Thank you for the answers!
Just a little bit more to make all clear, please.

1) Do I understand you correctly that "Adjustment of Status is pending" status is available for DV AOS cases, too?

2) When do I receive this status? When I file my I-485 and receive back the receipts from the USCIS that the package is accepted?

3) And from that time I'm in no hurry, right? Because I am under the umbrella of "Adjustment is pending". Waiting for the fingerprint, interview, possible name check, etc. Until the final decision is made, correct?

4) If all answers is Yes then it looks like the only concern is that USCIS should process the case until September, 30th, 2019, right?

Thank you!

Hello,

I received my 2NL and I am a bit confused about what to do next.
I have a low number (and I am currently in the US with a F1 visa) so my number is already below the Visa Bulletin.
From the spreadsheet (very useful! thank you so much), I see that I have to prepare my AOS package and send it to the Chicago Lockbox... but from the official website, this is what I read (travel.state.gov/.../diversity-visa-interview.html):

"After the Kentucky Consular Center has reviewed your completed DS-260, you may receive an e-mail from KCC to let you know that an interview has been scheduled at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate you selected on your DS-260 form. The e-mail will instruct you to log into the Entrant Status Check on the Electronic Diversity Visa (E-DV) website, using your DV entry confirmation number, to view the date, time and location of your interview. Print this information to take with you to your interview. You will need to be present at the interview, as well as your spouse and children (as applicable) who are applying for a diversity immigrant visa."

Nowhere they mention the Chicago Lockbox...
and it seems to me that they ask me to wait for an e-mail with the interview date. And I will bring my AOS package to the interview.

Could you tell me what is the correct option?
1/ Prepare and send the AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox
or
2/ Wait or the e-mail with the interview date and bring my AOS package there?

Thank you in advance

FF2

Thank you for the answers!
Just a little bit more to make all clear, please.

1) Do I understand you correctly that "Adjustment of Status is pending" status is available for DV AOS cases, too?

2) When do I receive this status? When I file my I-485 and receive back the receipts from the USCIS that the package is accepted?

3) And from that time I'm in no hurry, right? Because I am under the umbrella of "Adjustment is pending". Waiting for the fingerprint, interview, possible name check, etc. Until the final decision is made, correct?

4) If all answers is Yes then it looks like the only concern is that USCIS should process the case until September, 30th, 2019, right?

Thank you!

1. “Adjustment pending” status is automatic for anyone who goes out of their current valid status while their AOS petition is pending with USCIS.

2. See 1 above.

3. Adjustment pending status remains in effect until the petition is adjudicated with either an approval or a denial depending on the case. Of course you can not continue working once you get switched to adjustment pending unless you have an AOS based EAD card during this period.

4. See 3.

Hello,

I received my 2NL and I am a bit confused about what to do next.
I have a low number (and I am currently in the US with a F1 visa) so my number is already below the Visa Bulletin.
From the spreadsheet (very useful! thank you so much), I see that I have to prepare my AOS package and send it to the Chicago Lockbox... but from the official website, this is what I read (travel.state.gov/.../diversity-visa-interview.html):

"After the Kentucky Consular Center has reviewed your completed DS-260, you may receive an e-mail from KCC to let you know that an interview has been scheduled at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate you selected on your DS-260 form. The e-mail will instruct you to log into the Entrant Status Check on the Electronic Diversity Visa (E-DV) website, using your DV entry confirmation number, to view the date, time and location of your interview. Print this information to take with you to your interview. You will need to be present at the interview, as well as your spouse and children (as applicable) who are applying for a diversity immigrant visa."

Nowhere they mention the Chicago Lockbox...
and it seems to me that they ask me to wait for an e-mail with the interview date. And I will bring my AOS package to the interview.

Could you tell me what is the correct option?
1/ Prepare and send the AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox
or
2/ Wait or the e-mail with the interview date and bring my AOS package there?

Thank you in advance

FF2

Which process option did you select on your DS260 form, AOS or CP?

Hello Mom,
I am here again with more questions.
My case number is AS12XX and I am from Nepal. I am sure that my case number will be current in December. I am planning to send my I485 after visa bulletin for November is out (Early Filing).

1. If they deny my application for early filing, they will return back my package and I have to again send it when my case number is current (December 1st) Right?
2. Is there a possibility that they will completely deny my DV case and they won't accept my package?
3. If I have to again send my package in December, will it affect my case?

Thanks
Have a great weekend!

Hello Mom,
I am here again with more questions.
My case number is AS12XX and I am from Nepal. I am sure that my case number will be current in December. I am planning to send my I485 after visa bulletin for November is out (Early Filing).

1. If they deny my application for early filing, they will return back my package and I have to again send it when my case number is current (December 1st) Right?
2. Is there a possibility that they will completely deny my DV case and they won't accept my package?
3. If I have to again send my package in December, will it affect my case?

Thanks
Have a great weekend!

1. If the Chicago Lockbox rejects the package, the package gets sent back with your payment and you can file again with the same payment. If the FO denies the petition, your package doesn’t get sent back, you’ll receive a denial letter. Depending on when the denial takes place, you can file a new petition if there’s still time left in the FY - you’ll be making a new payment in this case.

2. See 1 above.

3. See 1 above.

I decided to start with AOS. Going through the spreadsheets (thanks for the spreadsheets by the way) and want to pay a fee to the Department of State for the DV.

I checked the link to the page about the payment to St. Louis, Missouri.

I'm new in the US, sorry for simple questions.
1) I checked "money order" word. As I understand I can buy it in the nearest USPS?

2) Should it be one money order for 990 dollars or three money orders each 330?

3) Should I write the required DOS information (DV Case Number, etc) on this money order or it's better to include some kind of cover letter in the envelope?

4) I signed and submitted DS-260 four days ago selecting AOS. On my DS-260 starting page I have four applicants, but I signed and submitted only three applications. The fourth is my son, I included him in the original DV application, but he's a US citizen, so I don't need to file DS-260 for him. Is it better to write some kind of follow up letter to KCC, telling that I won't submit the fourth DS-260 and that I go with USCIS and friendly remind them that I am waiting 2NL from them. Is it reasonable?

Thank you!

Hello, question for you....are you going to get the I-566 endorsed by your organization before submitting the packet? I have gotten conflicting advise on this

Hi! Yes we are. They did it very fast, they are used to doing I think, it's the same form for EADs.

Hi again, and thanks for all the response. We are all ready to send our package now. I have a question regarding one of the points of the 485. While I was pregnant in the US I received medicaid. I was never told I couldn't do it and we had a very low salary then, so we did qualify to receive government help. I answered "yes" to the "have you aver received government help question", because I figured it was best to tell the truth, but I am a little worried this will jeopardize my chances. Do you know if this will be an issue? How can we prepare for the interview? I am expecting some questioning regarding this, so we sent copies as evidence of our financial status, is there anything else we should do? Thanks!!

I decided to start with AOS. Going through the spreadsheets (thanks for the spreadsheets by the way) and want to pay a fee to the Department of State for the DV.

I checked the link to the page about the payment to St. Louis, Missouri.

I'm new in the US, sorry for simple questions.
1) I checked "money order" word. As I understand I can buy it in the nearest USPS?

2) Should it be one money order for 990 dollars or three money orders each 330?

3) Should I write the required DOS information (DV Case Number, etc) on this money order or it's better to include some kind of cover letter in the envelope?

4) I signed and submitted DS-260 four days ago selecting AOS. On my DS-260 starting page I have four applicants, but I signed and submitted only three applications. The fourth is my son, I included him in the original DV application, but he's a US citizen, so I don't need to file DS-260 for him. Is it better to write some kind of follow up letter to KCC, telling that I won't submit the fourth DS-260 and that I go with USCIS and friendly remind them that I am waiting 2NL from them. Is it reasonable?

Thank you!

1. Yes.
2. Just one will do.
3. On the money order.
4. No need to write a follow up letter or a friendly reminder to KCC

Hi again, and thanks for all the response. We are all ready to send our package now. I have a question regarding one of the points of the 485. While I was pregnant in the US I received medicaid. I was never told I couldn't do it and we had a very low salary then, so we did qualify to receive government help. I answered "yes" to the "have you aver received government help question", because I figured it was best to tell the truth, but I am a little worried this will jeopardize my chances. Do you know if this will be an issue? How can we prepare for the interview? I am expecting some questioning regarding this, so we sent copies as evidence of our financial status, is there anything else we should do? Thanks!!

“They” are not responsible for telling you you couldn’t receive public benefits you’re not eligible to receive based on your immigration status, it was and still is your responsibility to know what your immigration status qualifies you to receive. Also simply having a low income did not qualify you to receive government help because of your immigration status.

If it comes up during your interview, be prepared to truthfully answer (and try not to justify why you used public benefits). You can explain you used Medicaid for emergency medical services (IF indeed that’s what you used it for) and not for long term institutional care.

“They” are not responsible for telling you you couldn’t receive public benefits you’re not eligible to receive based on your immigration status, it was and still is your responsibility to know what your immigration status qualifies you to receive. Also simply having a low income did not qualify you to receive government help because of your immigration status.

If it comes up during your interview, be prepared to truthfully answer (and try not to justify why you used public benefits). You can explain you used Medicaid for emergency medical services (IF indeed that’s what you used it for) and not for long term institutional care.

Thank you, mom. I also found that the USCIS website states that having received Medicaid, WIC or Child Health support (the three things we received) is not enough for being considered "public charge". I plan on printing this and taking it to the interview, just in case. I think the real problem is if you received cash or long-term institutionalization. Ah! and also if you lied to get the benefit (for example, change your name, lie about your immigrant status), which I never did.

Hope this helps for others out there!

Thank you, mom. I also found that the USCIS website states that having received Medicaid, WIC or Child Health support (the three things we received) is not enough for being considered "public charge". I plan on printing this and taking it to the interview, just in case. I think the real problem is if you received cash or long-term institutionalization. Ah! and also if you lied to get the benefit (for example, change your name, lie about your immigrant status), which I never did.

Hope this helps for others out there!

Your response is doing exactly what I suggested for you not to do - justifying your usage of public benefits as a non-immigrant.

I know precisely what is written on USCIS’s website - that write up is part of what my response to you was based on. The general expectation is for non-immigrants and LPRs as a matter of fact to not receive public benefits meant for USC - it is not just about lying to obtain the benefit.

I recommend you go through this thread New Definition of Public Charge Proposed, that should hopefully shed more light on what you’re likely facing.

Your response is doing exactly what I suggested for you not to do - justifying your usage of public benefits as a non-immigrant.

I know precisely what is written on USCIS’s website - that write up is part of what my response to you was based on. The general expectation is for non-immigrants and LPRs as a matter of fact to not receive public benefits meant for USC - it is not just about lying to obtain the benefit.

Thanks for the info and the advice. The proposal is very discouraging, but I guess it's better to know what to expect in the interview, as it will probably come up. I guess I'll read as much as I can and try to be as prepared as I can. Hopefully, I get the interview before it becomes effective. Thanks!