1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Definition of Public Charge Proposed

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by Sm1smom, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

The government is looking into expanding the current definition of what constitutes a public charge. Things such as enrolling a child in government pre-school programs or receiving subsidies for utility bills or health insurance premiums will constitute being a public charge under this new definition.

Some of the benefits being targeted (not limited to these):
    • some “educational benefits,” including use of Head Start for children
    • Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
    • use of any subsidies, or purchase of subsidized insurance, under the Affordable Care Act
    • food stamps
    • Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) assistance
    • Housing benefits, like Section 8
    • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

If this goes into effect, it will become a lot harder for so many people currently living in (or previously stayed) in the US on a NIV to successfully obtain a GC.

Link to the draft Memo below:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10188201/DRAFT_NPRM_public_charge.0.pdf

F1_DV2018 likes this.
  2. mira88

mira88 Member

Thanks for posting this. I read some articles that said this might affect green card holders too. I have insurance through ACA marketplace plans and I qualified for premium tax credit. I am currently looking for jobs so hopefully I will get insurance through my work but do you think this might have an effect on permanent residents too?

3. Sihem

Sihem Member

It shouldn't according to Reuters : "The rules would not apply to permanent residents applying for citizenship, but would apply to a wide range of people living or working in the United States, including close family members of U.S. citizens and workers employed by U.S. companies."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...who-use-food-aid-other-benefits-idUSKBN1FS2ZK

Sm1smom likes this.
  4. Sm1smom

Sm1smom Super Moderator

It shouldn’t based on the current wording, but I anything is possible with this administration.