• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 Starts Today

The dvlottery form didnt accept scandinavian letters, so I had to use A instead of Ä in the name. I hope we win, but its not the end of the world if we dont :)

Now I have to make a reminder in my calendar so that I dont forget to check the status in may...

Now that i checked the machine readable portion of the passport, it say "ae" instead of "ä". I wonder if spelling "ä=a" was wrong... getting disqualified because of this would be painful :p

Now that i checked the machine readable portion of the passport, it say "ae" instead of "ä". I wonder if spelling "ä=a" was wrong... getting disqualified because of this would be painful :p
You would not be disqualified at this stage of the process. If you are being selected for further processing, make sure to enter correct "AE" name information in your DS-260, as this will be the basis for preliminary security checks, enter "A" under 'Other Names Used' and explain discrepancy at interview, which won't be a big thing if you interview with your home country US Consulate. Good luck!

You would not be disqualified at this stage of the process. If you are being selected for further processing, make sure to enter correct "AE" name information in your DS-260, as this will be the basis for preliminary security checks, enter "A" under 'Other Names Used' and explain discrepancy at interview, which won't be a big thing if you interview with your home country US Consulate. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, good to know :) Wouldn't have guessed that just typing a name would be so complicated!

Thanks for the reply, good to know :) Wouldn't have guessed that just typing a name would be so complicated!
Yeah - in most countries "Ä" will become "AE", yet not in all, for example in Belgium, your name with "Ä" would become your name with "A". In the US you official Green Card name would be First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name with "AE" spelling. Again, good luck for the lottery!

Yeah, in finnish "a" is more natural too, e.g. the finnish F1 driver Kimi Räikkönen is written as Raikkonen, the proper spelling Raeikkoenen just looks like a mess. Luckily the only ä is in my spouses middle name.

Yeah, in finnish "a" is more natural too, e.g. the finnish F1 driver Kimi is written as Raikkonen, the proper spelling Raeikkoenen just looks like a mess. Luckily the only ä is in my spouses middle name.
Yes, we are from a "Ä", "Ö", "Ü" home country and do face the same issue. If you like, you can do some research to see how the "Räikkönen's" in the US are dealing with this issue. There are a lot of them living here in Wisconsin. For your eDV submission, this is not a big thing, your US Consulate will be very familiar with the issue. Just make sure to go out of your way to include all spelling options in your DS-260 under "Other Names", if you should win. As I mentioned above, the full middle name of your wife will be abbreviated into her first letter middle initial, hence the issue will go away for you with the Green Card, which becomes the official document for all internal US related matters. Best.

Last edited:
any one from kenya,a bit of trouble on mailing address part of the lottery form. Is the address part same as the postal numbers we use.....and is there difference with the zip code?

My wife and I just entered separately - the system was very fast and stable!
I submitted from Australia, it was 2am at the time the lottery opened (i.e. half an hour ago) and I actually expected a rather sluggish site for all the early buzz, lol.

Good luck everyone and if there is anything I can suggest, it would be:
Be patient! :rolleyes:
Good luck to you! Can you please tell me when you and your wife apply separately do you still enter each other details as well? Is it legal to apply for both person when you are married?

Good luck to you! Can you please tell me when you and your wife apply separately do you still enter each other details as well? Is it legal to apply for both person when you are married?

Yes, each spouse may each submit one entry if each meets the eligibility requirements. If either spouse is selected, the other is entitled to apply as a derivative dependent.

By the way, the answer to this is clearly stated in the FAQs attached to the instructions, as I recall. You should ensure that you have read the instructions document thoroughly before submitting your entry form.

You cannot reapply and you cannot cancel. The mistake has been made. If you are selected, submit the DS260 with the correct information and hope that that the Consular Officer does not make a big deal out of it.