• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi Mom,
I am waiting for the last visa bulletin to be released in July to see if i will make the final cutoff for September. I am OC16XX. Just a couple of questions:
- if i make the cutoff, when is the best time to send my AOS package off? Can i send off in July (even though technically my number is not valid until September) i'm just worried there will not be enough time left to process everything/have an interview if i leave it until September 1st. I will be adjusting for my derivatives also - spouse and 3 kids)
- I am based in Manhattan, currently on an L1 visa.
- For the evidence documentation the instructions states: Provide either your high school diploma OR "Two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience". What is the best way to prove the latter point?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Mom,

Our number became current in August and we are ready to send our AOS package on July 1st. My question is, what will happen to my current visa (E-3) if my visa is not processed in time? I am getting married in Spain on Oct 6, so I will have to leave the country latest Oct 1st. Will my E3 still be valid to come back if they don’t process the application online ?

Thanks,
Natali

Hi Mom,
I am waiting for the last visa bulletin to be released in July to see if i will make the final cutoff for September. I am OC16XX. Just a couple of questions:
- if i make the cutoff, when is the best time to send my AOS package off? Can i send off in July (even though technically my number is not valid until September) i'm just worried there will not be enough time left to process everything/have an interview if i leave it until September 1st. I will be adjusting for my derivatives also - spouse and 3 kids)
- I am based in Manhattan, currently on an L1 visa.
- For the evidence documentation the instructions states: Provide either your high school diploma OR "Two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience". What is the best way to prove the latter point?

Thanks in advance!!

You can send in your AOS package two months in advance of the month your CN is listed as current. However, be aware of the fact that some FOs have erroneously denied a couple of petitions due to early filing in the past. So you’ll have to decide if this is a chance you’re willing to take - I will certainly do early filing if I was in your shoes and keep my fingers crossed all goes well. You I recommend go through the AOS process spreadsheet though if you’re yet to.

Proving work experience is not straight and direct compared to proving one meets the educational requirements which is what I recommend. I can’t guide on the best way to prove work experience.

Hi Mom,

Our number became current in August and we are ready to send our AOS package on July 1st. My question is, what will happen to my current visa (E-3) if my visa is not processed in time? I am getting married in Spain on Oct 6, so I will have to leave the country latest Oct 1st. Will my E3 still be valid to come back if they don’t process the application online ?

Thanks,
Natali

You retain your current E3 status if your AOS petition is not processed and approved by Sept 30th. Assuming your current E3 visa is a multiple entry visa and you don’t need to apply for a new visa stamp from the embassy, you should be okay returning to the US - bear in mind though only USC are guaranteed re-admission into the US, a valid visa doesn’t guarantee that.

If you’ll need to apply for a new visa stamp from the embassy, you may have a tough time being issued with one because of the demonstrated immigrant intent.

Hi mom,

I need your advice for my situation plz,

1-I already have a valid EAD till January 2019, and already submitted my AOS package and filed I-765 too.

I have a pending asylum case with USCIS, but I didn’t understand the part where it says “if you’re interested in undertaking authorized employment prior to you AOS petition approval”.

So in my case, does filling form I-765 will create any issues?

2-I filed G-325, will that create any issue or not ?.

Much appreciated

Hi mom,

I need your advice for my situation plz,

1-I already have a valid EAD till January 2019, and already submitted my AOS package and filed I-765 too.

I have a pending asylum case with USCIS, but I didn’t understand the part where it says “if you’re interested in undertaking authorized employment prior to you AOS petition approval”.

So in my case, does filling form I-765 will create any issues?

2-I filed G-325, will that create any issue or not ?.

Much appreciated

1. “If you’re interested in undertaking authorized employment prior to you AOS petition approval” does not apply to you since you already have a work authorization in place. It is directed at those who do not have any form of work authorization in place prior to filing AOS. Filing an I-765 in your case will not create an issue but it equally wouldn’t be useful either.

2. No

Hi Mom,

I am just curious that in a couple of posts in this DV AOS 2018 forum, someone said that they have submitted their "original i-94" while submitting the AOS package --- and one person wrote in interview experience that IO takes his "original i-94".

While submitting the AOS package, I have printed the online i-94 from the CBP(US Customs and Border Protection) website from which it says GET MOST RECENT I-94.

1) Am I submitting the right I-94 in AOS package as I mentioned above?

2) I have not interviewed yet, can I take the same I-94 which can be retrieval online through the same website of CBP that I mentioned earlier in the Interview Date?

Additionally, my case is current for July and I have already sent my AOS package and completed the biometrics. I have taken the info pass for 3rd of July.

3) Does it hurt my case if I go to an early inquiry for my case in the early week of the case current month?

Thanks for your time MOM

Hi Mom,

I am just curious that in a couple of posts in this DV AOS 2018 forum, someone said that they have submitted their "original i-94" while submitting the AOS package --- and one person wrote in interview experience that IO takes his "original i-94".

While submitting the AOS package, I have printed the online i-94 from the CBP(US Customs and Border Protection) website from which it says GET MOST RECENT I-94.

2) I have not interviewed yet, can I take the same I-94 which can be retrieval online through the same website of CBP that I mentioned earlier in the Interview Date?

Additionally, my case is current for July and I have already sent my AOS package and completed the biometrics. I have taken the info pass for 3rd of July.

3) Does it hurt my case if I go to an early inquiry for my case in the early week of the case current month?

Thanks for your time MOM

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

Reactions: Wra
Hi Mom,

Thanks for your time MOM

Not so long ago (before April 2013) I-94 was a paper form you had to fill when coming to US. It was stamped by IO when you crossed the border. Some people still have those. Additionally, whenever you adjust status, the approval notice (I-797) has a new form I-94 attached at the bottom. Other posts might have referred to that.
1) Yes. Form I-94 that you can download from https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/ is the right the form, if you came to US after 04/2013. If you have any I-797s you should sent copies of them too (as mentioned by the spreadsheet)
2) Yes. (also originals of I-797 if you have any)
3) Going on an INFOPASS cannot jeopardize your case in any way.

Reactions: Wra
1. “If you’re interested in undertaking authorized employment prior to you AOS petition approval” does not apply to you since you already have a work authorization in place. It is directed at those who do not have any form of work authorization in place prior to filing AOS. Filing an I-765 in your case will not create an issue but it equally wouldn’t be useful either.

2. No
Thank you so much mom for your quick response and help, you and Mr.simon helped me a lot

Yes income tax return can be used, but it is not enough on its own. School records such as transcripts AND enrollment verification letter if in school during that period can be used. Employment verification letter, pay stubs, if working during that period is another option. Rent receipts, utility bills. Correspondence from the Canadian government during that period of time. Medical records. Copies of boarding pass for when you exited the US or to other places visited since departure, stamped passport, etc. You’ll need more than one or two items to prove you were not in the US during those times noted on the RFE.

The doctor should have marked an X on one of the boxes under the “not medically appropriate” section of the form for the other vaccines and not leave them blank. And he should have given you a copy (for your records) which you should have checked by the way before mailing your package. So go back to that doctor for a new report which you shouldn’t have to pay for.
Hi Mom,
I have prepared the documents, I have an upcoming infopass appointment this coming week, should I take the documents with me or should I mail them. In the letter it clearly states you should mail the documents, but I was wondering if it is possible to speak with the officer requesting the documents. Is it possible to ask to speak with the officer requesting the documents? Can I ask for a receipt if I take the documents to my appointment?
BR and thank you for all your guidance.

Hi Sm1smom,

On the AOS Spreadsheet and under AOS process, it says, "The biometrics letter will give you a specific date for your bio appointment; however, you may try walking-in - i.e. going in before your scheduled appointment.".

1) How early can we try walking-in from the scheduled appointment date?
2) Do we have to do the biometrics before receiving the interview date? The question means: will USCIS mail interview date notice letter even before the bio appointment scheduled date take place and have the bio taken?
3) Does it make any difference by walking-in earlier?

Thank you.

Please send access request directly from the spreadsheet.
Hi Mom, thanks, I've just requested access.

I had a question. My husband got two notifications today from USCIS. We have been given 2 case numbers - both say 'fingerprint fee received' when we have checked the status. Is it normal to be given two case numbers with him being my derivative?

Thanks

Hi Mom,
I have prepared the documents, I have an upcoming infopass appointment this coming week, should I take the documents with me or should I mail them. In the letter it clearly states you should mail the documents, but I was wondering if it is possible to speak with the officer requesting the documents. Is it possible to ask to speak with the officer requesting the documents? Can I ask for a receipt if I take the documents to my appointment?
BR and thank you for all your guidance.

You should have mailed in the documents like the RFE you received says, preferably by overnight delivery, rather than waiting for your infopass appointment date to arrive. Then attend the infopass with copies of the requested documents and try to hand deliver them in addition to the previously done mail in effort. I don’t know if you’ll get to speak with the requesting officer, but no harm in asking. No guarantees re a receipt either either or that the documents will be collected from you, but no harm in trying also.

Hi Sm1smom,

On the AOS Spreadsheet and under AOS process, it says, "The biometrics letter will give you a specific date for your bio appointment; however, you may try walking-in - i.e. going in before your scheduled appointment.".

1) How early can we try walking-in from the scheduled appointment date?
2) Do we have to do the biometrics before receiving the interview date? The question means: will USCIS mail interview date notice letter even before the bio appointment scheduled date take place and have the bio taken?
3) Does it make any difference by walking-in earlier?

Thank you.

1. As early as you want or like following the bio notice receipt.
2. When the IL gets mailed out depends on your FO. There’s no rule specifying when the IL shoul be sent. Take a look at the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of how long on average it took others to receive their IL from when bio notice was received or done.
3. The sooner the bio is done, the earlier your background check can start.

Hi Mom, thanks, I've just requested access.

I had a question. My husband got two notifications today from USCIS. We have been given 2 case numbers - both say 'fingerprint fee received' when we have checked the status. Is it normal to be given two case numbers with him being my derivative?

Thanks

Access granted.

The 2 case numbers belong to both of you, one for you one for your husband. Yes, it’s not unusual for a derivative to receive the notification message while none gets sent to the main petitioner.

Access granted.

The 2 case numbers belong to both of you, one for you one for your husband. Yes, it’s not unusual for a derivative to receive the notification message while none gets sent to the main petitioner.
Great thanks Mom. I'll fill in the info I have.

Thanks, that's good to know.

1. As early as you want or like following the bio notice receipt.
2. When the IL gets mailed out depends on your FO. There’s no rule specifying when the IL shoul be sent. Take a look at the timeline spreadsheets to get an idea of how long on average it took others to receive their IL from when bio notice was received or done.
3. The sooner the bio is done, the earlier your background check can start.

Thank you Mom!

Hey Mom,

As I said before, my case was transferred from Minneapolis field office to Omaha field office. I checked with tier 2 officer over the phone this past week and I was told that my case was transferred to the Nebraska field office for processing as part of an effort to share the workload and hopefully make processing go more quickly. And he said that my case has not been assigned to an immigration service officer for review, and that the normal time for processing the I 485 is 9 to 22 months and my case is still within the normal processing times. When I tried to explain that my case is diversity visa case and it has time limit, he kinda got mad. Based on your recommendation, I also submitted an assistance request for the Ombudsman on June 7th but still has not received a response yet.
1- Do you think I should just wait for the Ombudsman response or try to get an info-pass appointment for the Omaha field office to ask about my case and make them aware it is a diversity visa case??
Thanks in advance

Hey Mom,

As I said before, my case was transferred from Minneapolis field office to Omaha field office. I checked with tier 2 officer over the phone this past week and I was told that my case was transferred to the Nebraska field office for processing as part of an effort to share the workload and hopefully make processing go more quickly. And he said that my case has not been assigned to an immigration service officer for review, and that the normal time for processing the I 485 is 9 to 22 months and my case is still within the normal processing times. When I tried to explain that my case is diversity visa case and it has time limit, he kinda got mad. Based on your recommendation, I also submitted an assistance request for the Ombudsman on June 7th but still has not received a response yet.
1- Do you think I should just wait for the Ombudsman response or try to get an info-pass appointment for the Omaha field office to ask about my case and make them aware it is a diversity visa case??
Thanks in advance

Yes follow up with the Omaha FO in person.