• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hello Sm1smon,

62 days passed since the receipt date for my OPT application. I am current for DV AOS in January.

I wanted to wait to get the work permit before filing for AOS, but the turn things are taking on the political scene are really making me nervous.

I would highly appreciate your advice. Should I keep waiting for the work permit or go ahead and file for AOS?

Thank you for yout usual support
This is of course not an exact science, yet for the purpose of average OPT work authorization wait time: experience suggests that it will be approx. 90 days on average from the date USCIS receives the application, sometimes some days less. This presumes that there won't be any issues/follow-up questions with the underlying OPT filing. Maybe this is of help for DV AoS application planning purposes. Best of luck!

Hey Guys,

What's everyone's thoughts on whether receiving an 'open container' ticket for consuming alcohol in public means that I have to indicate this on my I-485? I know technically its not a crime but apparently a violation under NY law. I'm a little confused because there are like 3 questions in a row regarding crimes and citations/violations

Cheers,
Aaron

Hey Guys,

What's everyone's thoughts on whether receiving an 'open container' ticket for consuming alcohol in public means that I have to indicate this on my I-485? I know technically its not a crime but apparently a violation under NY law. I'm a little confused because there are like 3 questions in a row regarding crimes and citations/violations

Cheers,
Aaron

‘Open container’ ticket in NY is indeed a violation, not a crime. However I’m of the opinion it needs to be disclosed on the I-485. I recommend you speak with a NY based immigration attorney though before filing for AOS.

Dear Sm1smom,

I am filling out I-485, since now I have my opt receipt number that starts with YSC, is that the same as USCIS online account number?

Kindly advise

Thank you

I'm so sorry to hear that that! I was reading your post and moms response and I got a little curious since I'm also an F1 student. What was mentby there are no visas availibile? Are there no more visas for the F1 students?
I’m sorry to learn of the outcome of your 2017 selection process. I typically don’t answer none DV process based questions, but I’m making an exception in this case because of the way things turned out for you:

1. Yes you can and it should be approved assuming you never violated your F1 visa during the AOS process.
2. Yes you can apply, possibility of being approved though is dicey since you’ve clearly demonstrated an immigrant intent. If you can find an employer that is willing to sponsor you for a H1B and it gets picked up in the lottery, that may be a way forward for you.

I'm so sorry to hear that that! I was reading your post and moms response and I got a little curious since I'm also an F1 student. What was mentby there are no visas availibile? Are there no more visas for the F1 students?
Mom was referring to the dv2017 which already ended.we're currently on DV2018 ;)

Since you missed the DV2017 reference in the post of the person I was responding to, it will take me all day to explain my post. So I suggest you read the AOS 2017 Thread (link below). Go through the last 10 to 15 pages or all of the September posts to get an idea of what is being discussed:

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/page-190

I have one question regarding the possible elimination of Diversity Visa. If the elimination of DV happens, does it affect the DV 2018 winners or it will be effective for the next fiscal year?

Hi everyone
I received my Bio letter and the schedule is for 6th Feb I am wonodering if can walk in before that day. Has anybody done that here?
Thanks

I have one question regarding the possible elimination of Diversity Visa. If the elimination of DV happens, does it affect the DV 2018 winners or it will be effective for the next fiscal year?

No impact on DV2018 selectees.

No impact on DV2018 selectees.
Conceivably, however currently unlikely, there could be some risk for DV-2018 selectees in my pov who did not submit their I-485's resp. DS-260's by the time any bill with any such language would be signed into law. Of course, the longer the negotation process proceeds, the closer DV-2018 will come to its defined end date and the less inherent risk, if any, remains for this DV group, I believe.

Conceivably, however currently unlikely, there could be some risk for DV-2018 selectees in my pov who did not submit their I-485's resp. DS-260's by the time any bill with any such language would be signed into law. Of course, the longer the negotation process proceeds, the closer DV-2018 will come to its defined end date and the less inherent risk, if any, remains for this DV group, I believe.
Out of all possible things you need to do during AOS process, why the lack of submission of DS-260, which technically is not even necessary (though recommended), would cause an issue?

Out of all possible things you need to do during AOS process, why the lack of submission of DS-260, which technically is not even necessary (though recommended), would cause an issue?
My remarks were on DV-2018 applicants, including CP. Hence the "submit their I-485's resp. DS-260's" wording.

None of the proposed bills have been written that way. So, that would be "unlikely" to the point of "unnecessary to even discuss". People are jumpy enough without creating a boogeyman.