• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Okay, first of all, if you’re processing CP, you need to stop posting on the AOS thread. There’s a general thread for all selectees you can post on, of find some other appropriate thread to post on. The AOS thread is strictly for those processing AOS and for DV based AOS process related questions only. I will answer this time, but post subsequent questions on the appropriate thread.

1. Select CP, submit your form. Follow up with an email to KCC informing them of your desire your switch to CP.

2. They’re not picky about reason for changing process option. And there’s no such thing as an “acceptable” reason. Tell them whatever your reason is, keep it short and straight to the point.
thanks a lot, sorry for posting on the wrong thread, I will now post on the right thread, have a good day !

Hello Mom,

Thank you for your response.

I have been looking since Friday morning for appointment time, but it is still showing that time is not available. There is a Note that says it shows all the available time for next 14 days, Is that mean there are no available appointment time for next 14 days or more? Is there any other way I can schedule an appointment apart from online?

I had the best luck for getting an infopass at midnight EST on a Sunday. A bunch of days opened up for my office

Hi Mom,

I am just about to send off my $330 DV fee but have a query regarding what address I should put down on the form. Since originally filling out my DS260 I have moved apartments, and as such the address on the letter head of my 2NL letter is different to where I currently live. Will it matter if the address I put down on the form accompanying my money order is different from my previous address?

Also related to this, will I need to file an online change of address? or is that only necessary if you change address after filing the I-485 in your AOS package? My hunch is technically USCIS don't know my address until I lodge the I-485 because the DS260 is not processed when going via AOS method.

Hopefully the above makes sense!
Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Mom,

I am just about to send off my $330 DV fee but have a query regarding what address I should put down on the form. Since originally filling out my DS260 I have moved apartments, and as such the address on the letter head of my 2NL letter is different to where I currently live. Will it matter if the address I put down on the form accompanying my money order is different from my previous address?

Also related to this, will I need to file an online change of address? or is that only necessary if you change address after filing the I-485 in your AOS package? My hunch is technically USCIS don't know my address until I lodge the I-485 because the DS260 is not processed when going via AOS method.

Hopefully the above makes sense!
Thanks,
Aaron

1. Use your current address.
2. As a non-USC, you are required to update your address with USCIS within ten days of moving each time you move to a new address, regardless of if you’re filing for AOS or not. The exception to this is if you fall within one of these three categories:
  • Diplomats (visa status A),
  • Official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G),
  • Certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for less than 30 days.

Hello every one,

I am currently a Ph.D. student and before my Ph.D. I got my master degree in the USA. After my graduation in master's program, I requested for OPT and as the result, I received an EAD card. On EAD card there is an Alien Registration Number.
I am filling I-485 form and there is a section which is asking for Alien Registration Number. I have an Alien Registration Number (on my OPT card) but I am not using it because I already have changed my program.
Now my question is, do I need to write Alien Registration Number on the I-485 form?

I appreciate your guidance :)

Hello every one,

I am currently a Ph.D. student and before my Ph.D. I got my master degree in the USA. After my graduation in master's program, I requested for OPT and as the result, I received an EAD card. On EAD card there is an Alien Registration Number.
I am filling I-485 form and there is a section which is asking for Alien Registration Number. I have an Alien Registration Number (on my OPT card) but I am not using it because I already have changed my program.
Now my question is, do I need to write Alien Registration Number on the I-485 form?

I appreciate your guidance :)

Yes.

Hi Mom,

What would you suggest? I took my medical exam last May as soon as I got the lottery results. Most likely my number will become current in April, i. e. I will send my papers in February. Do I need to re-do the medical exams or the current one is fine? Thanks!

Hi Mom,
I was DV 2017 selectee. my background check was completed on Sep 15 and there was no visa available. I am under F1 visa. I have a couple of questions.
1- Can I apply for OPT when there is a denied I 845 in my documents?
2- Can I apply for other types of non-immigrant visas?

Hi Mom,

What would you suggest? I took my medical exam last May as soon as I got the lottery results. Most likely my number will become current in April, i. e. I will send my papers in February. Do I need to re-do the medical exams or the current one is fine? Thanks!

Medical exam is valid for one year. There’s no guarantee you’ll be scheduled for an interview and approved before May. And if that’s the case, there’s the possibility your IO may insist on you presenting a new medical exam before they’ll approve you. It’s also possible they may not notice the completion date on the medical form. You decide if you want to take a chance on the date being overlooked or being issued with a RFE for a new medical exam.

Hi Mom,
I was DV 2017 selectee. my background check was completed on Sep 15 and there was no visa available. I am under F1 visa. I have a couple of questions.
1- Can I apply for OPT when there is a denied I 845 in my documents?
2- Can I apply for other types of non-immigrant visas?

I’m sorry to learn of the outcome of your 2017 selection process. I typically don’t answer none DV process based questions, but I’m making an exception in this case because of the way things turned out for you:

1. Yes you can and it should be approved assuming you never violated your F1 visa during the AOS process.
2. Yes you can apply, possibility of being approved though is dicey since you’ve clearly demonstrated an immigrant intent. If you can find an employer that is willing to sponsor you for a H1B and it gets picked up in the lottery, that may be a way forward for you.

Hi Mom,
I am asylum seeker and my case is still pending.
I won DV 2018 and my number will almost be current by next may based on the recent VB (AF23xxx).
I planned to file for AOS, but I got confused when consulted many attorneys for elegibilty to apply for AOS !!
Ones who said I will be considered as Overstayed and others who advised to go for 3rd party country to make my interview and ones are agreed with my plan for AOS.
Now time is running fast and I don’t know till this moment whether I am elegible or not.
Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Mom,
I am asylum seeker and my case is still pending.
I won DV 2018 and my number will almost be current by next may based on the recent VB (AF23xxx).
I planned to file for AOS, but I got confused when consulted many attorneys for elegibilty to apply for AOS !!
Ones who said I will be considered as Overstayed and others who advised to go for 3rd party country to make my interview and ones are agreed with my plan for AOS.
Now time is running fast and I don’t know till this moment whether I am elegible or not.
Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Thanks

You really haven’t told me anything with everything you’ve written to help me determine your eligibility or none to process AOS. The question is were you still in status or out of status when you filed for asylum? How about when USCIS acknowledged an acceptance of your asylum petition, where you still in whatever status you came in on or already out of status? Also how long has your asylum petition been pending? Have you had an interview yet?

You really haven’t told me anything with everything you’ve written to help me determine your eligibility or none to process AOS. The question is were you still in status or out of status when you filed for asylum? How about when USCIS acknowledged an acceptance of your asylum petition, where you still in whatever status you came in on or already out of status? Also how long has your asylum petition been pending? Have you had an interview yet?
Well,
I came by B1/B2 visa (Tourist) me, my wife and our daughter two years ago
My wife filed for asylum as a principle and added us to the application.the application were sent after two month of our arrival to US, so we still are in status that time, the asylum receipt mailed to us after few days of filing.
We did't hear anything related to the interview yet, but we got our EADs, driver license and other required documents.

I am not sure if this info will make any sense or not but I will add it, I am the winner of the DV and my family are dependants.
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Well,
I came by B1/B2 visa (Tourist) me, my wife and our daughter two years ago
My wife filed for asylum as a principle and added us to the application.the application were sent after two month of our arrival to US, so we still are in status that time, the asylum receipt mailed to us after few days of filing.
We did't hear anything related to the interview yet, but we got our EADs, driver license and other required documents.

I am not sure if this info will make any sense or not but I will add it, I am the winner of the DV and my family are dependants.
Thanks a lot

Since you were still in status as at the time of filing asylum and getting the NOA from USCIS, you’re eligible to process AOS.

Since you were still in status as at the time of filing asylum and getting the NOA from USCIS, you’re eligible to process AOS.
Is this a federal law or refer to the local officers ?? Because I know someone who have the similar case of mine but they denied his case based on overstay reason while he filed his asylum petition before his B1/B2 expires

Is this a federal law or refer to the local officers ?? Because I know someone who have the similar case of mine but they denied his case based on overstay reason while he filed his asylum petition before his B1/B2 expires

“Local” Immigration officers’s decisions are based on federal laws. And I also know of DV Selectees with pending asylum petitions who successfully processed DV based AOS petitions. Anyway, follow the process you’re most comfortable with.

Reactions: W.M
I have some questions:
1. When are we supposed to get 2nd letter for AOS?
2. will it happens only after the lottery number become current in the visa bulletin or can get letter anytime?
3. KCC have sent me diversity visa adjustment letter. IS this second letter?
4. I have a birth certificate translated in english however the date format is (dd/mm/yyyy) rather than (mm/dd/yyyy). Does this matters?

Thank you so much for your time.

I have some questions:
1. When are we supposed to get 2nd letter for AOS?
2. will it happens only after the lottery number become current in the visa bulletin or can get letter anytime?
3. KCC have sent me diversity visa adjustment letter. IS this second letter?
4. I have a birth certificate translated in english however the date format is (dd/mm/yyyy) rather than (mm/dd/yyyy). Does this matters?

Thank you so much for your time.

1. See the AOS process spreadsheet for further guidance. All the steps have been explained there.
2. See 1 above.
3. Yes.
4. Doesn’t matter.

Hi Mom,

I am from Australia, currently on an E3 visa, entered the US back in June 2017. My CN is now current (OC47x) and am collating my AOS package.

1.Do I need to provide the I765 EAD and I312 AP forms?

2.The AOS package checklist mentioned to include the I797 NOA form. I have a photocopy of my E3 visa to indicate current visa status so do I still need to include I797 in my package?

3.Do I need to submit the affidavits of support? I have a decent income but not a lot of savings. I have superannuation and a property in Australia which I’m still paying off.

4.how much liquid asset do I need to show so I don’t have to file an affidavit of support?

Appreciate any advices you have!

Last edited: