• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

I'm sorry if this sounds as a stupid question, but I want to attach a cashier's check to pay my AOS fees ($1225) I just want to make sure I got this right:
1. TO: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
2. FOR: I-485 and Biometrics fees
3. Send to:
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

In addition one more question - I've attached my 2015 and 2016 W-2 forms, and I'm waiting for IRS to mail me tax return reports (which might take too long so I might just skip it). Are the report a must or optional?

Thanks!

I'm sorry if this sounds as a stupid question, but I want to attach a cashier's check to pay my AOS fees ($1225) I just want to make sure I got this right:
3. Send to:
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

In addition one more question - I've attached my 2015 and 2016 W-2 forms, and I'm waiting for IRS to mail me tax return reports (which might take too long so I might just skip it). Are the report a must or optional?

Thanks!

For the tax transcript, I am able to download them from the IRS website though. Have you tried it yet?

I just tried, but when creating an account they couldn't recognize my phone number for some reason, so again I have to wait 5-10 days to get the code. Either way I have to wait, and if its not a must I would rather mail it tomorrow and start the process since my visa bulletin number is in January.

Thanks for the info about online transcripts. I'll use it in the future.

Hello Mom and Bhupen,

I have similar situation, but my wife is in h4. She was working on F1, and since did not get selected on H1b lottery, she changed to H4, and used TPS EAD to work. Her company lawyer told that it is ok to work on TPS. And you can hold TPS (which is actually not a status but protection) with any other status which can help in case of fall back (if you lose your status then tps will help to protect from being out of status).

I see lawyer are also divided in this, if you google there are bunch of reply on avvo: some are mentioning it is ok and some mentioning not.

Hi All,
Thanks for your concern, help and suggestions. I finally got to talk to one of the immigration lawyers and he said that we are fine to proceed with AOS. A/c to him, renewing F2 strengthens our case with a new visa stamp on the passport and TPS is not considered a separate status at least in the state we live in and we should be good to go.
However, I have one additional question, my CN is current for Dec. I will probably send my AOS in next couple of days but last week we found that we are pregnant. Should we do something before sending AOS package to notify KCC or somewhere that we are pregnant? We did our medicals in Oct. and we were not pregnant then.
Thanks.

3. Send to:
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Thanks!

All the supporting documents listed on the AOS process spreadsheet are optional, none is obligatory. Your call if you want to wait for the IRS transcripts or not.

Hi All,
Thanks for your concern, help and suggestions. I finally got to talk to one of the immigration lawyers and he said that we are fine to proceed with AOS. A/c to him, renewing F2 strengthens our case with a new visa stamp on the passport and TPS is not considered a separate status at least in the state we live in and we should be good to go.
However, I have one additional question, my CN is current for Dec. I will probably send my AOS in next couple of days but last week we found that we are pregnant. Should we do something before sending AOS package to notify KCC or somewhere that we are pregnant? We did our medicals in Oct. and we were not pregnant then.
Thanks.

If your lawyer actually told you TPS is not considered a separate status from F2 “in the State you live in”, I think you might want to consider getting some other legal opinion. Immigration status is not State specific, a TPS status is granted by the federal government, I don’t see what that has to do with your State of residency, same thing with the AOS petition you’ll be filing.

Congratulations on the pregnancy part. You’re not required to do anything or inform anyone about the pregnancy.

Good morning mom and everyone,
I sent the AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox on December 19th and it was delivered on December 21st. This morning my husband, which is the derivative applicant received an email says the case was accepted and to wait the NOA by mail. Plus he received three consecutive texts (same exact hour of the email). These texts give 3 receipt number.
I'm the first applicant but I didn't receive any email or text is it that normal?
Moreover, why did they send 3 different receipt number?
I'm worry there was a mistake.
We sent our documents in 2 different folder tied together. Mine was on the top with write 'principal Applicant' plus name and case number and his with written 'Derivative Applicant' plus name and case number.
What do you think can happened? Can I do something?

Thank you so much

Fanuel

1) Does Chicago office process AOS packages in the order they are received?
2) Do they send notifications in case of package rejection?

The reason I ask is that in timelines spreadsheet there are records where packages had been received by Chicago office later then mine and these packages have already been accepted.
My check was not cashed.

I sent the AOS package to the Chicago Lockbox on December 19th and it was delivered on December 21st. This morning my husband, which is the derivative applicant received an email says the case was accepted and to wait the NOA by mail. Plus he received three consecutive texts (same exact hour of the email). These texts give 3 receipt number.
I'm the first applicant but I didn't receive any email or text is it that normal?
Moreover, why did they send 3 different receipt number?
I'm worry there was a mistake.
We sent our documents in 2 different folder tied together. Mine was on the top with write 'principal Applicant' plus name and case number and his with written 'Derivative Applicant' plus name and case number.
What do you think can happened? Can I do something?

Thank you so much

Fanuel

1. Yes, it’s not unusual for a derivative to receive all the text/email notifications while the main petitioner receives none. Relax, nothing to get worked up over.

2. Did you include an I-765 or I-131 form in either yours or your husband’s package?

1) Does Chicago office process AOS packages in the order they are received?
2) Do they send notifications in case of package rejection?

The reason I ask is that in timelines spreadsheet there are records where packages had been received by Chicago office later then mine and these packages have already been accepted.
My check was not cashed.

1. Typically yes.

2. No. Rejected package shows up in the mail after a couple of weeks.

When did you mail in your package?

1. Typically yes.

2. No. Rejected package shows up in the mail after a couple of weeks.

When did you mail in your package?
Mailed on 12/16 via FedEx, signed by Chicago office on 12/19 in the morning.
There is one package in timelines received on 12/21 and accepted today and one more sent by Fanuel (a couple of posts above) with same dates (or maybe it's just the same package).

Mailed on 12/16 via FedEx, signed by Chicago office on 12/19 in the morning.
There is one package in timelines received on 12/21 and accepted today and one more sent by Fanuel (a couple of posts above) with same dates (or maybe it's just the same package).

The holidays may be a factor for the ‘delay’ in notification you’ve experienced. Your package hasn’t been pending long enough to cause concern based on my observations, but that’s just my opinion. If no notification in the next one week, then I would say a rejected package could possibly be on its way back to you.

Hello! Have you heard of any cases where applicants that were on non intent immigrant visas tried to adjust status to green card after winning in the lotto and got denied.

I was told by a lawyer that it is not a good idea and could subject myself to a lifetime ban from the US under 'fraud provisions of the immigration statute'

1. Yes, it’s not unusual for a derivative to receive all the text/email notifications while the main petitioner receives none. Relax, nothing to get worked up over.

2. Did you include an I-765 or I-131 form in either yours or your husband’s package?
Thank you very much Mom.
We don't have I-131 but the I-765 for my husband. I didn't send it for me because I have no wish to change my job during the process.

Yes.
I had the same issue. Three applications were sent, but only my wife received emails about them (she is a derivative applicant).

Hello! Have you heard of any cases where applicants that were on non intent immigrant visas tried to adjust status to green card after winning in the lotto and got denied.

I was told by a lawyer that it is not a good idea and could subject myself to a lifetime ban from the US under 'fraud provisions of the immigration statute'

Of course numerous people have successfully adjusted status from a none dual intent status and are still currently doing so.

Is there anything specific about your status you shared with the lawyer you spoke with which you haven’t shared here? If all you said to the lawyer was that you’re planning on adjusting status from a none dual intent status, without any other specifics mentioned, and the lawyer gave you that response; I would say the lawyer needs to return to law school. But I strongly doubt it’s as simple as that.

What is your current status? When did you enter the US? Were you already in the US when you found out about your DV selection? Did you recently come into the US on a NIV with the mind of processing AOS? Answers to these questions will help view your question in the right perspective.

Hi every one. I am wondering if any one in F1 visa have the same situation as me. I am not sure in part "Employment history" in I 485, if I need to enter my I20 date as the last date or my graduate assistantship contract which is to end of next semester. In my university it is updated each semester.
could some one give me a clue please?

Hi every one. I am wondering if any one in F1 visa have the same situation as me. I am not sure in part "Employment history" in I 485, if I need to enter my I20 date as the last date or my graduate assistantship contract which is to end of next semester. In my university it is updated each semester.
could some one give me a clue please?

I am in your position as well with F1 and assistantship but I am still currently working with no end date. I left the 'end date' blank and thinking of writing 'present' in the box. Is this a legible way to fill the I-485 Mom? @Sm1smom. Thank you for your answer