• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi mom and everyone.
I received the Interview letter and it will be in September 17. Is is too late? what do you advice me to do.
Should I do info pass to try with them doing in spot interview?

Are you expecting to go with an incomplete package or have reason to expect you’ll be on AP? If not then why would it be too late?

Hi mom and everyone.
I received the Interview letter and it will be in September 17. Is is too late? what do you advice me to do.
That’s good for you because when you come to the office next month hopefully background check complete then get visa on the same day. I did my interview this month and they told me they can’t make descion because my background check is not clear. I am from Asia region and you too and I I notice from my search some Applicant from Asia regions get longer time in background check.

That’s good for you because when you come to the office next month hopefully background check complete then get visa on the same day. I did my interview this month and they told me they can’t make descion because my background check is not clear. I am from Asia region and you too and I I notice from my search some Applicant from Asia regions get longer time in background check.
Which username are you on the DV 2018 AOS timeline spreadsheet?

Hi reza,
I'm also Asia region and my interview is scheduled for 9/12. It should be fine as long as we prepare the documents thoroughly. I tried asking if I could do on The spot interview today at my infopass but she said no, just make sure to turn up on 9/12. Which FO are you at? Good luck!

Im at San Diego FO

Thank you for your respond and good luck to you too!

Hi all, I'm beginning to get nervous as we haven't received our interview letter yet. We have another infopass booked for Friday.
I'm hoping there is some kind of update then.
Will keep you posted.

OMG!

My Status and my Wife's just changed to "New Card Is Being Produced"!!

I almost cried when my wife told me just now.

@Sm1smom and @Britsimon, and even everyone else who have been relentlessly helping me with my questions, supporting me all the way, I just wanted to say thank you so so much. I know that all of this wouldn't have been possible without all of your help!

I still can't believe this! My hands are shaking as I'm typing this!

Awesome news. :):) Congratulations!!

Hi mom and everyone.
Hi reza,
I'm also Asia region and my interview is scheduled for 9/12. It should be fine as long as we prepare the documents thoroughly. I tried asking if I could do on The spot interview today at my infopass but she said no, just make sure to turn up on 9/12. Which FO are you at? Good luck!

In retrospect, if there's anything I'd want to change from my experience, I wish I had also brought additional information about the DV Lottery itself and emphasize that it's a very time-sensitive case, during the interview. Not all IOs are super familiar with the DV AOS cases. Only about 5% of all DV cases are processed via AOS and this 5% is spread all over the US. So imagine, each FO probably only handles just a handful of DV AOS cases. So my 2 cents:
  1. In addition to all documentation pertaining to yourself, bring along information about the DV AOS itself. This would be good: https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/diversity-visa and highlight the Visa Availability and Other Considerations sections, particularly the line that mentions about Sept. 30 deadline. Your 2NL should also contain similar information. Plus, the 2NL has your name as well on it. Highlight the relevant lines.

2. Make sure you ask for the IO's name. Had I not asked for the IO's name, I think it would make things a lot more difficult for me, especially when trying to track my IO down. If you don't get an instant approval during your Interview, knowing the IO's name would greatly help you during your future InfoPass appointment(s). Ask nicely the IO for his/her name: "Excuse me / I'm sorry, officer, I didn't catch your name earlier". During one of my InfoPass appointments, the officer specifically asked me what the name of my IO was. So I'm glad I asked my IO for his name.

3. If you're like me, and you didn't get an instant approval, you could prepare a letter addressed to the IO and ask an InfoPass officer to pass it to the IO. This is a letter that I wrote for the IO, as a sample for you (redacted): http://bit.ly/LetterForIO-sample

And good luck to you guys!

Last edited:
I received my green card but not the welcome package yet. Do they send it to everyone? What does it contain? Is it important?
Thank you.

I answered someone else on this not too long ago, the WL (not a package by the way) becomes irrelevant once you receive your GC. No big deal about not receiving one.

Hi mom and everyone.

Your FO scheduled your appointment based on their workload, and the date is still within your applicable FY. Of course you can go on an INFOPASS and explain why you’re seeking an earlier appointment if you like, but don’t be disappointed if they don’t oblige you since the date is still within your applicable FY like I said.

I just had a second infopass in NY FO for Asia region, and the lady said my file has been received from KCC and is with the immigration officer now. I asked if background check has been completed and she said it has to be if the case file has been sent and received. The FO only receives the case file once everything is ready and background check has been completed. She also said NBC sends it out once background check is completed.

During my last infopass on 8/1, the lady said the file has been received on 7/31 but the background check had not been completed yet.

Has my background check actually been completed?

I can’t tell if your background check has indeed cleared or not. But I don know the NBC doesn’t wait for it to clear before sending the AOS file to the FO, except in a few cases that may sometimes fall through the cracks.

Are you expecting to go with an incomplete package or have reason to expect you’ll be on AP? If not then why would it be too late?

Eveything ok with me. Im just worried about the financial situation. I could not have the USC or PR sponsor. I only submit US bank steatment with 20k plus I have a scholarship that pay my tuitions and monthly expenses

I can’t tell if your background check has indeed cleared or not. But I don know the NBC doesn’t wait for it to clear before sending the AOS file to the FO, except in a few cases that may sometimes fall through the cracks.
Should I just go to another infopass and ask if the background check has been completed? How do I make sure they can actually check it specifically?
Thank you

Should I just go to another infopass and ask if the background check has been completed? How do I make sure they can actually check it specifically?
Thank you

There’s no way to make sure they actually check it specifically, and they’re not required to check and provide an update at the INFOPASS. You can only hope to meet with an IO who is willing to do so and provide you with the right information.