• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Thank you for your reply! We both went to the FO on my husband's interview date that was one day before my interview date. When the officer called my husband we asked him whether can we got our interviews both today as I am the PA and he agreed to see us on the same day but separately. My husband's interview lasted around 15 min and then he went out and I entered the interview room. I was asked questions about our marriage and my husband's job (actually we are not newly married and been married for 4 years and have a child. I presented our childbirth certificate etc). The officer did not go over any of the questions on my i-485 during the interview. At the end, he turned me a paper on which stating that my husband's case was approved. I was told that the case would have been approved that day if everything looked good. However, there were not any status updates on that day on both of our USCIS accounts. Also, since we were interviewed separately I thought my husband already showed his employer letter, pay-stub, and the new visa (H-1) that was approved a couple of weeks ago and turned a copy of it. However, at home, he told me that he did not turn in anything.

Since there was no update and our documents were not turned in, I wanted to attend the interview scheduled for my case the next day. The officer called my name was not the same person. Meanwhile, I saw the officer who interviewed my husband and I, one day earlier while walking through the interview room and he told me that he did not approve my husband's case as I had not had my interview. I was surprised as I actually was not planning to attend the interview scheduled for my case given the fact that I attended my husband's interview. I was totally confused.

The officer who conducted my interview told me he is glad that I am here today otherwise there would be a penalty. He went through the questions on the I-485 form and told me that he would work on the case and approve if everything looks good today. At the end of the interview, he gave me a letter stating that my case is not approved at the moment and needs to be reviewed. Around 2 pm same day, my husband received text and email notices and when he checked his status it was CPO but no status change on my account. I am very glad that I attended the interview scheduled for my case because it seems there was a big misunderstanding.

Thanks for the update. Since your husband’s IO didn’t ask you any of the yes or no questions on your I-485 and gave you an approval notice for your husband’s petition, and not both of you, he certainly didn’t interview you with regards to your own petition - he was simply verifying your husband’s marital status like they do for a marriage based AOS (which I’m assuming he so used to adjudicating). Glad you were smart enough to show up on your assigned date.

Your FO though clearly messed up a bit, even if they wanted to assign separate interview dates, yours should have been before your husband’s, and his petition shouldn’t have been approved before yours since you are the principal applicant. Anyway, fingers crossed and hope you get approved soon too. Because if you end up not being approved, your husband’s approval isn’t quite safe - it is an erroneous approval.The approval will be reviewed when he becomes eligible for citizenship and applies accordingly, let’s hope it wouldn’t come to that.

I am so happy for everyone. I was ready to send all documents and then Mom notified me that if "you had any arrests or courts regarding tickets, its better to get those original reports, so it will be way easier later" So, I listened to that advice and got all needed papers even though everything was dismissed. I sent my package. My AOS package was delivered on the 16th of August. I do see some timelines showing that people had everything done including interview within a month and I hope I will get everything done by Sep 30th.

1. Anyways, I also sent form G-1145 I believe (the one that asked for my cell phone and email), So should I just wait until they text me or call me with an interview or Biometrics, or will I receive Mail for that?

2. I could not find that post, but I remember someone earlier said that I can track my process through some website or something like that? Please let me know if anyone knows.

The answer to these questions are all on the AOS process spreadsheet.

Our green cards arrived in the mail today & they are so beautiful and worth the wait!! I feel so lucky, grateful & thankful! Once again, thank you so much for all the support provided by @Sm1smom, @Britsimon, @SusieQQQ & @Xarthisius. This forum has been so helpful through our DV AOS & I dont know what I would have done without you all. Its going to be a little weird not checking the forum and spreadsheet religiously as i'v been doing for the past year! As for those who are still are processing there AOS, I wish you and your familys all the best of luck! Im crossing my fingers for you all! :D

:) Happy Green Life

Dear Mom and Simon,

It's been a long and interesting journey. Thank you so much for all your help and support along the way, I cannot say thank you enough to both of you and I promise I will pay it forward. Here is my complete experience:

AS12xxx went current in August
FO : Queens field office, NY (Now located in the same building as NYC office in Manhattan - my IO said I am supposed to be assigned to NYC office according to my physical address, not my mailing address, he seemed a little frustrated with the person who assigned my case to him cause they didn't know what they were doing lol but he continued to interview me anyway)

5/ 6/17 ........Submitted DS-260
6/10/17 .......2nd NL from KCC
6/ 1/18 .......Sent $330
6/12/18 .......Got back payment confirmation through e-mail, never received the physical one
6/19/18 .......Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox
6/20/18 .......Status : Package delivered by USPS (express)
6/28/18 .......Acceptance text/ e-mail
7/ 3/18 ........Recieved NOA for AOS
7/ 6/18 .........Biometrics Letter received, scheduled for 7/17/18
7/ 9/18 .........Did Biometrics walk-in, at ASC in Long island, the officer was pissed that I went earlier than my scheduled date (even if the place was completely empty, I figured she just felt the need to scold somebody on her bad day, so I let her)
7/31/18 .........Did INFOPASS I was told that my case had just been received on 7/30/18 in Queens field office and as soon as they finished reviewing them, they would schedule an interview. When I asked about the approximate time, the officer couldn't give me an answer but saying it would be scheduled automatically (which is not true)

8/7/18 Interview Letter received
8/13/18 Attended the interview.
First started off with scanning my fingers and taking an oath to tell the truth. As he ran through my file, he asked me to show original documents of birth certificate (I gave him along with the translation which he took time to go through), university diploma and transcript, all my i-20s and all passports.
He scanned some of my i-20s, took a copy of my university transcript and said this was the only proof he needed for education (I first submitted high school transcript, a copy of university diploma and the translation with the package-- luckily I brought the university transcript that day)

Things seemed to go smoothly until he asked for proof of financial and I handed him I134- Affidavit of Support, where the sponsor was my father-- who is a non-US citizen. He said it was supposed to be from a US citizen or a permanent resident, he'd never seen a DV AOSer that submitted this before and he would discuss it with his supervisor. He also asked if I had already worked as a _(medical profession)__ in my country before and I said yes (In i485 showed the details of my profession, the past work and the details of being a member of organization of that medical profession in my country). He later asked me a few yes/no questions in i485 then wrote in my passport 'i485 pending' and said if they didn't need anymore proof they would issue me the visa right away.

He stated that all the proof was cleared and my education was obviously cleared, but he needed to discuss my i134 with his supervisor to make sure I wouldn't become a public charge and he would get back to me asap by phone if he needed anymore proof as he was very well aware that DV cases were time-sentitive.

8/14/18 The after shock : I realized even though I thought I had all the information and prepared everything right, there was still a big mistake that should have never occurred, and there was really nothing that I could do but to wait...and pray. I tried to get myself together and think of a back-up plan, I asked one of my good friends if they could sponsor if anything went wrong, and lucky me, they said yes.

8/17/18 Got multiple text messages at once in the late afternoon from USCIS to check case status and found out New Card is Being Produced!

A lesson is learned, if you are a non-native English speaker like me (and even if you are), please do more than multiple check of everything you think you understand.
I spent a lot of time trying to understand the spreadsheet, these very useful DV threads, but still I missed the most important information. I hope my experience is useful for whomever that might stumble on my post and help them with their process in the future.

Thanks again Mom and Simon, I am forever grateful.

Great news! Congratulations.

I see now. I will keep looking for updates. Also, I submitted copy of high school diploma and copy of my University Diploma, but I read that PSNY took Official Transcripts with him/her on the interview, So I will go ahead and request that from my University in case.

Mom, I have 3 more questions, but before I do it, I want to say really thank you for all your time that you give us and information. Whatever, the outcome will be, your and Simon's help here in this forum changed many human lives into a better direction. I see people happy and so wish you be happy all the time.

1. Hopefully, I will go through Bio and get my interview before 30th of Sep, and that will be my Luckiest day. So, I will only take my passports, I-94, med exam, birth cert with translation, Transcripts, so Basically everything except ds-260 and I-485 (ds-260 I submitted last year and did not save the copy, I-485 I remember everything I wrote so I can answer everything again). Do you think I need to get ds-260 with me or it's ok ?

2. I did not include i134 A.Support, because I do not have any citizens friends who would like to sponsor me. However, My family was always sponsoring me since 2012 and I can get all I-20's there Officer will see all sponsorship letters. Will that be fine to prove that I won't become a public charge?
(Showing that I finished Bachelor and in MBA and I was never out of status.)

3. Do I need to schedule an info pass? Someone said info pass for those who has some questions, but why would I schedule info pass if you already gave all answers and it seems like everything is straight. Or is there some benefits from getting info pass?
I thought, it's straight: Check email, notifications go to BIO, get all documents for an interview and may god be with us on that day.

Thanks in advance

I see now. I will keep looking for updates. Also, I submitted copy of high school diploma and copy of my University Diploma, but I read that PSNY took Official Transcripts with him/her on the interview, So I will go ahead and request that from my University in case.

Mom, I have 3 more questions, but before I do it, I want to say really thank you for all your time that you give us and information. Whatever, the outcome will be, your and Simon's help here in this forum changed many human lives into a better direction. I see people happy and so wish you be happy all the time.

1. Hopefully, I will go through Bio and get my interview before 30th of Sep, and that will be my Luckiest day. So, I will only take my passports, I-94, med exam, birth cert with translation, Transcripts, so Basically everything except ds-260 and I-485 (ds-260 I submitted last year and did not save the copy, I-485 I remember everything I wrote so I can answer everything again). Do you think I need to get ds-260 with me or it's ok ?

2. I did not include i134 A.Support, because I do not have any citizens friends who would like to sponsor me. However, My family was always sponsoring me since 2012 and I can get all I-20's there Officer will see all sponsorship letters. Will that be fine to prove that I won't become a public charge?
(Showing that I finished Bachelor and in MBA and I was never out of status.)

3. Do I need to schedule an info pass? Someone said info pass for those who has some questions, but why would I schedule info pass if you already gave all answers and it seems like everything is straight. Or is there some benefits from getting info pass?
I thought, it's straight: Check email, notifications go to BIO, get all documents for an interview and may god be with us on that day.

Thanks in advance

1. No need to take a copy of the DS260 form. However be sure to take any other thing you can think of that could possibly help your case.

2. I will NOT provide a direct response to this question because you’ve asked more than once before, last time was not too long ago:
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/page-190#post-2479307
And I answered each time, with my last response being:
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/page-190#post-2479311

3. I also previously responded to a similar question on this from you a couple of days ago
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2018-aos-only.336256/page-190#post-2479310

I do appreciate your taking out the time to acknowledge the guidance and assistance we’re providing here, thank you for that. However, you need to apply the information you’ve already been provided with, use the tools such as the spreadsheets - AOS process and Timelines spreadsheets - we’ve also made available to find some answers. Go through some of the posts others have on the thread. Don’t keep asking the same thing in different ways without utilizing what has already been provided to you - it gets tiring if we have to answer the same things over and over.

Thanks for the update. Since your husband’s IO didn’t ask you any of the yes or no questions on your I-485 and gave you an approval notice for your husband’s petition, and not both of you, he certainly didn’t interview you with regards to your own petition - he was simply verifying your husband’s marital status like they do for a marriage based AOS (which I’m assuming he so used to adjudicating). Glad you were smart enough to show up on your assigned date.

Your FO though clearly messed up a bit, even if they wanted to assign separate interview dates, yours should have been before your husband’s, and his petition shouldn’t have been approved before yours since you are the principal applicant. Anyway, fingers crossed and hope you get approved soon too. Because if you end up not being approved, your husband’s approval isn’t quite safe - it is an erroneous approval.The approval will be reviewed when he becomes eligible for citizenship and applies accordingly, let’s hope it wouldn’t come to that.

Thank you for your input! I have an infopass appointment on Tuesday and let you about the case.

Hi mom,
I have a question regarding my transcript, our government won’t allow to give transcripts for people who graduated from public medical universities, but I have my school diploma with me and I have an approval from the syndicate so is that enough, what should I do if the officer ask me about transcript?.

Hi mom,
I have a question regarding my transcript, our government won’t allow to give transcripts for people who graduated from public medical universities, but I have my school diploma with me and I have an approval from the syndicate so is that enough, what should I do if the officer ask me about transcript?.

You wouldn’t be required to present school transcripts if you’re not currently in the US on a student visa, it is typically requested from those on student visas as a means of establishing they’re maintaining their status and are still in school.

You wouldn’t be required to present school transcripts if you’re not currently in the US on a student visa, it is typically requested from those on student visas as a means of establishing they’re maintaining their status and are still in school.
Thx mom for your response, you are the best

Hi MOM,
1) If the primary applicant background check is cleared while the dependent applicant is still pending; in that case can we request the officer to take the interview of the primary applicant only since the time is running out?

Thanks MOM

Hi MOM,
1) If the primary applicant background check is cleared while the dependent applicant is still pending; in that case can we request the officer to take the interview of the primary applicant only since the time is running out?

Thanks MOM

Have they told you the derivative’s pending background check is what is holding up your interview? Anyway, no harm in asking them.

Have they told you the derivative’s pending background check is what is holding up your interview? Anyway, no harm in asking them.
A month before when i speak with the tire 2 officer in USCSI customer service, he told us that my background check was pending.
I have done 2 infopass since our last conversation.
In the 2nd last infopass on (3rd August) the officer on the desk told me that she email about our case to the assigned officer and officer is still reviewing our case.
In the last infopass (17th August) i meet the same officer in outside desk, this time she go inside to meet the officer who is reviewing our case and she told us that they are waiting for one file from one of their agencies which is the same thing what i heard a month before, and manager of that field office has expedited that request. And she said you should have to wait.
I put all my effort to find out either it is the security background check or not. But unfortunately she did not want to answer my question.
During these time, i decided to go through congressmen side and congressmen send the inquiry about our case on August 8th.
But until now i haven't heard anything from congressmen side.
I have read a couple of previous folks experience from the same field office and they have received the positive response after the congressional inquiry, so i decided to go through congressmen instead of ombudsmen.
I have the infopass for the 24th August too.
So, i cannot figure out anything what they are waiting for this long time.
Tomorrow, i am planning to walk out to the asylum office to try once either field office have requested and received our asylum file.
In my upcoming infopass i will try to ask them if it is holding up by background check of mine, then request to take interview of the primary applicant. I don't know it is possible or not.
At this point, i have lose all my hopes and try to make me feel comfortable.

So these are my exact situation right now:

Questions:
1) In your opinion what might be the thing that is holding up our case?
2) Is there anything i can do from my side at this situation?
3) Since we both do not have the social security number: Not having an SSN could delay the security check?

Additionally, i forget to mention you that the officer takes my contact number and pass it to the officer who is handling our case and said me that he will call you when he has that file.

Anyway, thank you for your very honest and unexplainable support and corporation, MOM!

A month before when i speak with the tire 2 officer in USCSI customer service, he told us that my background check was pending.
I have done 2 infopass since our last conversation.
In the 2nd last infopass on (3rd August) the officer on the desk told me that she email about our case to the assigned officer and officer is still reviewing our case.
In the last infopass (17th August) i meet the same officer in outside desk, this time she go inside to meet the officer who is reviewing our case and she told us that they are waiting for one file from one of their agencies which is the same thing what i heard a month before, and manager of that field office has expedited that request. And she said you should have to wait.
I put all my effort to find out either it is the security background check or not. But unfortunately she did not want to answer my question.
During these time, i decided to go through congressmen side and congressmen send the inquiry about our case on August 8th.
But until now i haven't heard anything from congressmen side.
I have read a couple of previous folks experience from the same field office and they have received the positive response after the congressional inquiry, so i decided to go through congressmen instead of ombudsmen.
I have the infopass for the 24th August too.
So, i cannot figure out anything what they are waiting for this long time.
Tomorrow, i am planning to walk out to the asylum office to try once either field office have requested and received our asylum file.
In my upcoming infopass i will try to ask them if it is holding up by background check of mine, then request to take interview of the primary applicant. I don't know it is possible or not.
At this point, i have lose all my hopes and try to make me feel comfortable.

So these are my exact situation right now:

Questions:
1) In your opinion what might be the thing that is holding up our case?
2) Is there anything i can do from my side at this situation?
3) Since we both do not have the social security number: Not having an SSN could delay the security check?

Additionally, i forget to mention you that the officer takes my contact number and pass it to the officer who is handling our case and said me that he will call you when he has that file.

Anyway, thank you for your very honest and unexplainable support and corporation, MOM!
Do you mind informing what is your FO?
I have similar case of yours with the same officer’s feedback !!

Do you mind informing what is your FO?
I have similar case of yours with the same officer’s feedback !!
Hey bro!
Mine is Baltimore, MD.
You did not receive your card yet?
By the way, I have seen in your post that you had been to Asylum office, how do you ask them?
I just want to have some idea. Cause i want to walk there tomorrow.

Hey bro!
Mine is Baltimore, MD.
You did not receive your card yet?
By the way, I have seen in your post that you had been to Asylum office, how do you ask them?
I just want to have some idea. Cause i want to walk there tomorrow.
Not yet, last time the officer said he is waiting for another file since my asylum file delivered one week after my interview.
I went to Arlington asylum office and asked them if my asylum been requested and sent to the USCIS?? They confirmed it has been delivered, but my officer said he is waiting for another file that I don’t know what is it.
Did you have you interview or not ??

Last edited:
They receiving applicant inquiries weekly every wednsdays, check which days for Baltimor befor you walked in.