• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi Mom,

Hope you're doing well.

Do you know if each of the applicants (Main and Derivative Applicants) will receive a separate/individual text or email notification (that USCIS has received the AOS package)? Or only the Main Applicant will be notified and that notification is good for both Applicants?

Thank you!

Only one person receives them, and it could be either the main applicant (which is what it should be) or the derivative.

Hey Mom. My friend applying AOS and he has question, he has girlfriend which is American citizen and they got new born. So in the application he wrote about his new born but does he needs to weritr about his girlfriend in the application? If so which part in the application. Thank you.

Hi Mom,

As you know I'm on the L2. I'm currently waiting for my EAD and I received the I797 NOA.
Should I include the I-797 in my package even if I don't have the EAD by the time I file?

Thanks!

Hey Mom. My friend applying AOS and he has question, he has girlfriend which is American citizen and they got new born. So in the application he wrote about his new born but does he needs to weritr about his girlfriend in the application? If so which part in the application. Thank you.

No, the girlfriend can’t be listed on his application.

Yes list the number. It is already assigned against your name, regardless of if you used it to work or not.

Thanks Mom for the reply:).
I’m a PhD student working as a teaching assistant and my husband is on F2. I’m pregnant and due in June. We are currently enrolled in the WIC program.

1. Does this mean I should put ‘yes’ for the question ‘Have you received public assistance in US?’ ?

2. Should I put ‘yes’ to the question ‘Are you likely to receive public assistance in the future in the US?’ ? We will be enrolled in WIC until my husband finds a job (if we get lucky obtaining green card).

I’m bit worried after seeing these questions on I-485.
2. If that’s the case, do you think it would be a negave impact for my case?

Thanks Mom for the reply:).
I’m a PhD student working as a teaching assistant and my husband is on F2. I’m pregnant and due in June. We are currently enrolled in the WIC program.

1. Does this mean I should put ‘yes’ for the question ‘Have you received public assistance in US?’ ?

2. Should I put ‘yes’ to the question ‘Are you likely to receive public assistance in the future in the US?’ ? We will be enrolled in WIC until my husband finds a job (if we get lucky obtaining green card).

I’m bit worried after seeing these questions on I-485.
2. If that’s the case, do you think it would be a negave impact for my case?

Well, as a none immigrant, you really shouldn’t be receiving or planning on continuing to receive public assistance meant for LPRs and USCs.

Receiving WIC wasn’t previously considered a basis for denying AOS petition (constituting a public charge). However a recently released memo indicates receiving WIC now constitutes being a public charge which will lead to AOS petition denial. I don’t know if or when this new directive will take effect.

Check out the following link for the actual memo with details of this proposal:
https://forums.immigration.com/threads/new-definition-of-public-charge-proposed.337353/#post-2470478

To answer your questions:
1. Yes, you have to answer “Yes” to that question.
2. Already answered above in my long narrative.

Hi Mom. I just received my interview letter after more than 100days from my FP. I think my background check is already done. The date is for a month later. I am thinking if I can get an infopass and talk to them to see if they can make it earlier. I know my FO is not too busy and in my last infopass they were gonna give me an appointment fir a wekek after but my background check was not done
What do you thinkabout?

Hi Mom. I just received my interview letter after more than 100days from my FP. I think my background check is already done. The date is for a month later. I am thinking if I can get an infopass and talk to them to see if they can make it earlier. I know my FO is not too busy and in my last infopass they were gonna give me an appointment fir a wekek after but my background check was not done
What do you thinkabout?

My recommendation is to stick with the date you’ve been given. But pay they a visit if you wish.

Well, as a none immigrant, you really shouldn’t be receiving or planning on continuing to receive public assistance meant for LPRs and USCs.

Receiving WIC wasn’t previously considered a basis for denying AOS petition (constituting a public charge). However a recently released memo indicates receiving WIC now constitutes
being a public charge which will lead to AOS petition denial. I don’t know if or when this new directive will take effect.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes, you have to answer “Yes” to that question.
2. Already answered above in my long narrative.

Thanks for this information. This doesn’t seem good for my case.

1. (a) what if we withdraw from WIC now and refrain from enrolling in such programs in future. That way, I can at least put “No” for the question of using public assistance in future, right?

(b) Do you think we would stand a chance at least then?

2. What does LPR and USC stand for?

Thanks for this information. This doesn’t seem good for my case.

1. (a) what if we withdraw from WIC now and refrain from enrolling in such programs in future. That way, I can at least put “No” for the question of using public assistance in future, right?

(b) Do you think we would stand a chance at least then?

2. What does LPR and USC stand for?

1(a). You may do that.

1(b). There’s still the fact that you used public assistance in the past, I don’t think they will overlook that if they decide to implement that memo. Anyway, like I said before, I don’t know when or if that guidance will eventually be implemented.

2. LPR = Lawful Permant Residence, USC = US Citizen.

Hello, Can any one please let me know, what are the changes we can expect in our 'online case status' through out the process to indicate case is moving ahead?

Right now, it says ' Finger Print fee was received'. We just completed finger prints and interested to know about the upcoming status changes. Thank you.

Hello Mom,

I finally got interview letter today. It is scheduled for coming friday.

I have a quick question:

1) On letter it mentions to bring passport, <current state> Id. I have current state license, but my wife permanently moved from another state just last year, so she has not changed to our current state. Will that be an issue? I looked through DV interview documents, and many mentioned that they were asked driver license and passport. I am not sure if it is mandatory. What will be the better explanation if it is mandatory?

Hello, Can any one please let me know, what are the changes we can expect in our 'online case status' through out the process to indicate case is moving ahead?

Right now, it says ' Finger Print fee was received'. We just completed finger prints and interested to know about the upcoming status changes. Thank you.

That’s all the update you’ll see until your petition ie either approved or denied.

Hello Mom,

I finally got interview letter today. It is scheduled for coming friday.

I have a quick question:

1) On letter it mentions to bring passport, <current state> Id. I have current state license, but my wife permanently moved from another state just last year, so she has not changed to our current state. Will that be an issue? I looked through DV interview documents, and many mentioned that they were asked driver license and passport. I am not sure if it is mandatory. What will be the better explanation if it is mandatory?

At last! Congratulations.

Nope the ID address shouldn’t be an issue. If asked about about the address, respond truthfully as just like you did here. There’s no better explanation outside of “the truth” itself.

Hi Mom,

I was trying to go through your forum to find out the procedure/possibility to file AOS for the principle selectee and CP for the spouse. but I couldn't.
Could you please help as on the following questions?

1) Does the application procedure allows us to do that
2)If you have seen such a case, can you advice us how to do so

Thanks !

Hi Mom,

I was trying to go through your forum to find out the procedure/possibility to file AOS for the principle selectee and CP for the spouse. but I couldn't.
Could you please help as on the following questions?

1) Does the application procedure allows us to do that
2)If you have seen such a case, can you advice us how to do so

Thanks !

What you’re considering is known as JTF (Follow To Join), a slightly complex process. And yes I know of selectees who have successfully done this in the past.

You will need to fill out the DS260 (assuming you didn’t previously submit the form) and indicate your spouse is processing FTJ while you, the main selectee, are processing AOS. If you already submitted the DS260, then you’ll need to unlock and update the information as above.

You will then complete the AOS process and after your petition gets approved, you’ll request USCIS to forward your case file to your home country US embassy and wait for them to schedule your spouse’s interview.

The complex part has to do with the fact that:
- KCC will not be scheduling the Embassy interview
- You must be approved before any step can be taken with regards to your spouse’s case. If you’re stuck in AP, your spouse can’t move forward.
- You’ll have to work directly with USCIS to get your case file forwarded to the embassy, and with the Embassy to schedule your spouse’s appointment at their discretion.
- You both need to be approved by Sept. 30th.