• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

I know that what I actually meant was that D-i-L will not receive NOA letter?
Thanks again

You're stressing needlessly, both of them will get the letter!!

You're asking the same set of questions here, on Simon's blog and all over the place. Do your D-I-L and son even know anythin about the AOS process or they've been relying on you to do everything for them? You do realize you will not be attending the interview with them, right?

Honestly speaking, you need to relax!

You're stressing needlessly, both of them will get the letter!!

You're asking the same set of questions here, on Simon's blog and all over the place. Do your D-I-L and son even know anythin about the AOS process or they've been relying on you to do everything for them? You do realize you will not be attending the interview with them, right?

Honestly speaking, you need to relax!
Sorry if I´m bothering you with a lot of questions but I got involved in all of this because I want to make sure my D-I-L and son get things just right. Yes both of them understand the AOS process. I´ll take into account your advise. Thanks

Sorry if I´m bothering you with a lot of questions but I got involved in all of this because I want to make sure my D-I-L and son get things just right. Yes both of them understand the AOS process. I´ll take into account your advise. Thanks

I'm not bothered about your questions, I'm happy to answer questions and help people through the process - a service I'm voluntarily providing.

I commend your interest in making sure your D-I-L and son succeed with their DV selection. However, I feel they stand a better chance at succeeding if they're directly driving this process, asking questions on their own in place of you asking questions on their behalf and passing on the information to them. I happen to believe in the concept of teach a man to fish, and not give a man a fish.

Anyway, best of luck to you and them. And I would like to say again: stop stressing needlessly though.

Hi!!
I just got my NOA letter today, :)
And about the email/text notification, it also happened to us that only the derivative received both messages. I got surprised at first and I thought that they just were lazy to do it twice when they can just re-send 2 emails to the same address and phone #.

Hi! I'm currently on a J1 visa and my sponsor has mentioned that the moment I state immigrant intent I will be terminated from my J1 program. This would be terrible because I'd be forced to return to my home country immediately, and it could risk getting my GC even through CP (because of the "termination" of a previous visa).

I have a few questions about this and I really don't understand how it's even possible for them to do that.

1- Will my current J1 sponsor know when I start my greencard application? I'd like to know whether they will be notified, and at what point in the application.

2- Are they allowed to terminate my J1 program for this reason? I understand that Js are not intended to immigrate, but I don't have the 2 year home country requirement and US regulations allow me to do AOS to a GC.

3- What would you say is the best strategy in my case? I was thinking about potentially shortening my J1 program, go back to my home country, and start CP processing immediately upon return. I believe shortening the J1 program should not risk getting the GC (as opposed to a forceful "termination") but I really don't know.

Thanks so much!!

Hi! I'm currently on a J1 visa and my sponsor has mentioned that the moment I state immigrant intent I will be terminated from my J1 program. This would be terrible because I'd be forced to return to my home country immediately, and it could risk getting my GC even through CP (because of the "termination" of a previous visa).

I have a few questions about this and I really don't understand how it's even possible for them to do that.

1- Will my current J1 sponsor know when I start my greencard application? I'd like to know whether they will be notified, and at what point in the application.

2- Are they allowed to terminate my J1 program for this reason? I understand that Js are not intended to immigrate, but I don't have the 2 year home country requirement and US regulations allow me to do AOS to a GC.

3- What would you say is the best strategy in my case? I was thinking about potentially shortening my J1 program, go back to my home country, and start CP processing immediately upon return. I believe shortening the J1 program should not risk getting the GC (as opposed to a forceful "termination") but I really don't know.

Thanks so much!!
Please clarify: who exactly is threatening to terminate your J1 visa status? Your "sponsor"? If so, what are they saying on how they will go about doing this? What is their rational for the threat? They are not in position to "terminate" your visa by themselves, yet they may be able to lay you off from the "program" you are in, whatever it is you are doing for them. This, in turn, would affect your J1 status.

Last edited:
Please clarify: who exactly is threatening to terminate your J1 visa status? Your "sponsor"? If so, what are they saying on how they will go about doing this? What is their rational for the threat? They are not in position to "terminate" your visa by themselves, yet they may be able to lay you off from the "program" you are in, whatever it is you are doing for them. This, in turn, would affect your J1 status.

It is my "sponsor" as designated in the DS2019 (so a third party organization through whom I got my J1 visa to intern in the US). This is different from my host organization (the company where I'm interning). It's the "sponsor" who says I could be terminated from the J1 program.

Their rationale, I believe, is that the J1 is meant to be a cultural exchange, and participants should not intend to immigrate into the US; and they are expected to return to their home country (apparently even when the 2-year rule doesn't apply).

I have heard from other J's doing AOS to get their GCs so I really don't understand why they would have to terminate my program.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

It is my "sponsor" as designated in the DS2019 (so a third party organization through whom I got my J1 visa to intern in the US). This is different from my host organization (the company where I'm interning). It's the "sponsor" who says I could be terminated from the J1 program.

Their rationale, I believe, is that the J1 is meant to be a cultural exchange, and participants should not intend to immigrate into the US; and they are expected to return to their home country (apparently even when the 2-year rule doesn't apply).

I have heard from other J's doing AOS to get their GCs so I really don't understand why they would have to terminate my program.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
They seem to have a vested interest in keeping you on current J non-immigrant status... If it were my case, I would stop talking with them as they are not your US employer anyway and simply process I-485 DV AoS without providing any information to them. Once you have successfully completed processing - I understand you are not under a 2 year home country requirement, make sure it is accordingly noted on your visa - and changed your legal status to LPR, you will be in a much stronger position in any respect. If you don't tell them, they won't receive any information from USCIS side. Alternatively, you could decide to resign from your position, change from AoS to DV CP processing, return to your home country and process from there. However, from what you told us, this does not seem to be necessary. Good luck!

They seem to have a vested interest in keeping you on current J non-immigrant status... If it were my case, I would stop talking with them as they are not your US employer anyway and simply process I-485 DV AoS without providing any information to them. Once you have successfully completed processing - I understand you are not under a 2 year home country requirement, make sure it is accordingly noted on your visa - and changed your legal status to LPR, you will be in a much stronger position in any respect. If you don't tell them, they won't receive any information from USCIS side. Alternatively, you could decide to resign from your position, change from AoS to DV CP processing, return to your home country and process from there. However, from what you told us, this does not seem to be necessary. Good luck!
Thanks so much! It's a relief. Just in case I decided to finish my J1 program early and do CP from my home country, would you say that an "early withdrawal" from the J1 program could negatively affect the GC application?
What should I do to minimize risks if I chose this option?

Thanks so much! It's a relief. Just in case I decided to finish my J1 program early and do CP from my home country, would you say that an "early withdrawal" from the J1 program could negatively affect the GC application?
What should I do to minimize risks if I chose this option?
No, why should it? Slavery has been long abolished and you are free to separate from any program and return to your home country any time you please. If you do decide to change from AoS to CP, make sure to start this process as early as possible, you will find detailed instructions from Sm1smom on this and other sub-forums. If you decide to process AoS, continue the process you are currently considering. Your choice, as long as you are effectively in-status at the time USCIS confirms receipt of your I-485. Good luck!

Thank you!! :)

Blop,

I am also on a J1 visa and I talked to my program coordinator about my intention to do AOS due to the fact that I needed to obtain a waiver for the 2 year residency requirement. They were ok with it since I have been with this program for a long time. In your case, because you don't need the waiver, the J1 sponsor will find out about your intentions only after you file for AOS,when your case is pending, or maybe just when you green card is approved. I will encourage you to follow the spreadsheet and do AOS, and don't tell your sponsor anything if you believe they will not support you. Just my humble opinion, wishing you the best!

Well, today our case was denied. Not sure what now. I will die and reborn a 100 times waiting for the explanation in the notice.
Can I just go to the FO tomorrow and ask about it?

Thanks.

Well, today our case was denied. Not sure what now. I will die and reborn a 100 times waiting for the explanation in the notice.

Thanks.
Hey–

Sorry to hear this! Do you have any guess why they could have denied? An advantage of AOS is that you can appeal in case of denial unlike CP. Hopefully it's just a mistake!

Thanks.
Was the denial in person or did you receive a letter? Was it while you were interviewing?

Hey–

Sorry to hear this! Do you have any guess why they could have denied? An advantage of AOS is that you can appeal in case of denial unlike CP. Hopefully it's just a mistake!
Have No idea. I thought we have a pretty straight forward case. Apparently not. Hoping I just forgot something and got a picky officer who denied it right away, so I still have a chance.

Was the denial in person or did you receive a letter? Was it while you were interviewing?
I just looked up the case status. Status was changed to denied for me, hubby and kids today. I have not received the letter yet.
EADs were approved this Monday.

I just looked up the case status. Status was changed to denied for me, hubby and kids today. I have not received the letter yet.
EADs were approved this Monday.

I am so sorry that happened! I have my fingers crossed for you that it is an easy fix.