• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi all! I'm very pleased to announce that this morning I finally received my Green Card!!! I updated the timeline spreadsheets and finally my row is completed! :) I cannot describe how much I'm happy and the best thing is that here we are all sharing the same luck and happiness! I want to thank once again all of you for the help and support, especially @Sm1smom and @Britsimon! We all know how frustrating could be waiting for this big change in our life, but it's definitely worth the wait! Best of luck to all of you and your families!

Mom
This might not be the right place to ask this question but I've been is on this thread for the whole year and I'm used to it so please forgive me.
Myself and my son received our GC and my wife didn't.
We went to cancel the Asylum and instead of receiving a cancellation letter we received a letter for rescheduled asylum interview with the date that is in 2 weeks. As for us were expecting a welcome letter.
What do we do in such a situation?

Mom
This might not be the right place to ask this question but I've been is on this thread for the whole year and I'm used to it so please forgive me.
Myself and my son received our GC and my wife didn't.
We went to cancel the Asylum and instead of receiving a cancellation letter we received a letter for rescheduled asylum interview with the date that is in 2 weeks. As for us were expecting a welcome letter.
What do we do in such a situation?

I'm sure your wife's GC will eventually show up also. It's strange they're still sending a rescheduled IL for the asylum case when you already went in to withdraw that petition.

Anyway, I suggest you still show up for this new interview with all of your documents (for both the DV and asylum based cases). Clearly explain to them you've already been approved and tell them you wish to formally withdraw the asylum petition. Or better yet, prepare a formal letter stating you wish to withdraw your asylum petition and present that letter when you go for the interview.

The place you visited is an ASC (Application Support Center). They don't quite have access to your full file, they're not your assigned FO (Field Office) responsible for assigning/scheduling and carrying out your interview.

Your file cannot be at the NVC in Missouri, it's got to be at your assigned FO by now. Your assigned FO is based on the listed home address on your I-485. There's a section on the AOS spreadsheet with guidance on finding one's assigned FO. Your FO is where you need to go, if you want things to start moving, or you can wait and let things take their natural course.

Hi Mom, to keep you posted, today I went to my FO in Dallas. In general Agents don't seem to know much about DV lottery... Anyway they didn't tell me more than what I had before over the phone and in Boston. Just that my file is in the National benefit/processing center and that I have to wait. It seems that they are doing the security check.
Now I have a question for you about the time-line. Now that it is work in progress, what will happen if that goes beyond end of September deadline?Would that cancel my application?

Hi Mom, to keep you posted, today I went to my FO in Dallas. In general Agents don't seem to know much about DV lottery... Anyway they didn't tell me more than what I had before over the phone and in Boston. Just that my file is in the National benefit/processing center and that I have to wait. It seems that they are doing the security check.
Now I have a question for you about the time-line. Now that it is work in progress, what will happen if that goes beyond end of September deadline?Would that cancel my application?

Again, I say there's no reason for your file to still be at the NBC! NBC doesn't wait for the background check to clear before forward the case file to the applicable FO. So did they actually say they haven't received your file at the FO and that its still at the NBC pending background check clearance? Did they specifically say it's at the NBC without you prompting them or making mention of NBC when you inquired about your case file?

One thing I've come to know is that when most people go on an INFOPASS, they inadvertently cause the IO they speak with to say precisely, or something similar to what they've been told before by some other source which may not be accurate, and since the IO simply wants to be done with the conversation, he/she may end up saying just that.

Not asking the right set of questions when making an INFOPASS, or using the wrong set of words thereby inadvertently putting word in their mouths will most definitely result in a frustrating experience.

Again, I say there's no reason for your file to still be at the NBC! NBC doesn't wait for the background check to clear before forward the case file to the applicable FO. So did they actually say they haven't received your file at the FO and that its still at the NBC pending background check clearance? Did they specifically say it's at the NBC without you prompting them or making mention of NBC when you inquired about your case file?

One thing I've come to know is that when most people go on an INFOPASS, they inadvertently cause the IO they speak with to say precisely, or something similar to what they've been told before by some other source which may not be accurate, and since the IO simply wants to be done with the conversation, he/she may end up saying just that.

Not asking the right set of questions when making an INFOPASS, or using the wrong set of words thereby inadvertently putting word in their mouths will most definitely result in a frustrating experience.

Thanks for your quick follow up - so yes they said the file is still at NBC pending for the background check. IO supervisor mentioned that once ready the NBC set up the interview and meantime send the file to the FO. I didn't mention anything about NBC.

As of now I raised a request online by myself (current status is Not assigned for processing). I called once and the IO open a request to expedite the process (status assigned to an agent) and the agent in Boston open another request (status Not assigned for processing).

I won't be in my FO location for a little while and therefore I cannot go back to see another agent... :(
What else can I do now?

Thanks for your quick follow up - so yes they said the file is still at NBC pending for the background check. IO supervisor mentioned that once ready the NBC set up the interview and meantime send the file to the FO. I didn't mention anything about NBC.

As of now I raised a request online by myself (current status is Not assigned for processing). I called once and the IO open a request to expedite the process (status assigned to an agent) and the agent in Boston open another request (status Not assigned for processing).

I won't be in my FO location for a little while and therefore I cannot go back to see another agent... :(
What else can I do now?

That's a BS response they gave you. NBC does not schedule the interview on behalf of the FOs. Each FO is responsible for scheduling their own interview. The Chicago Lockbox receives the AOS package, checks for completion (as in all forms signed as required, correct amount of payment enclosed, priority date, etc), scans the documents into the system following which they attach the applicable cover page to the case and forwards the package to the NBC. NBC separates the I-485 from the rest of the package (assuming the package also includes an I-765 or I-131), schedules the bio appointment and sends the I-485 form with all the supporting documents to the applicable FO, they do not wait for the background check to clear before forwarding what needs to go on to the FO - and this explains why some people have reported receiving IL even before they've gone for their bio appointment.

I don't doubt the fact that your background check is still pending and your FO is reluctant to schedule an interview without it. And it's possible that's the file they're still waiting on. Definitely not the AOS file itself.

Anyway, I suggest you wait for now for a response regarding the service requests you've raised, both personally and on your behalf. Depending on the outcome of the service request, you may need to request your congress person to initiate a follow up request on your behalf.

That's a BS response they gave you. NBC does not schedule the interview on behalf of the FOs. Each FO is responsible for scheduling their own interview. The Chicago Lockbox receives the AOS package, checks for completion (as in all forms signed as required, correct amount of payment enclosed, priority date, etc), scans the documents into the system following which they attach the applicable cover page to the case and forwards the package to the NBC. NBC separates the I-485 from the rest of the package (assuming the package also includes an I-765 or I-131), schedules the bio appointment and sends the I-485 form with all the supporting documents to the applicable FO, they do not wait for the background check to clear before forwarding what needs to go on to the FO - and this explains why some people have reported receiving IL even before they've gone for their bio appointment.

I don't doubt the fact that your background check is still pending and your FO is reluctant to schedule an interview without it. And it's possible that's the file they're still waiting on. Definitely not the AOS file itself.

Anyway, I suggest you wait for now for a response regarding the service requests you've raised, both personally and on your behalf. Depending on the outcome of the service request, you may need to request your congress person to initiate a follow up request on your behalf.

Hummm pretty frustrating and concerning. Let's see how it goes. To initiate the request from the Congress person, could you please explain what is the process?

Hummm pretty frustrating and concerning. Let's see how it goes. To initiate the request from the Congress person, could you please explain what is the process?

There's no process. You just find your applicable house of rep, contact them and let them know your need their help. You should should be able to find this information online from their website.

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing great. Some updates on my case, I have filled my 485 a long time ago (current October 2015) but have not received my interview letter so far. Basically each time I go to inforpass, they say they have received my files and I should wait to be scheduled for an interview. I contacted my congress person last month and they told me I am scheduled for an interview late May but a couple of days before the date, they told me that it was an error from my FO side and they are yet to schedule me an interview. I went to an infopass and the officer was very nice but did not know anything about DV cases and the time sensitivity. After 45 mins of talk to him, he gave his number to me and told me to follow up with him in a month or so. I am not sure what is happening there but was thinking to do something before time runs up.
Do you guys think I should talk to a lawyer about my case and see what he/she suggests? I know a lot of time people here believe that paying a lawyer is a waste (which might be!) but I was thinking based on their experience, they may know some other ways to follow up.
I was also thinking about Obdusman or even trying to reach the governer's office (this was supposed to be thinking out of the box!) (not sure if I can contact them but I will try)! Do you guys think about any other way? Any suggestion or idea is very appreciated.

Have a great week.

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing great. Some updates on my case, I have filled my 485 a long time ago (current October 2015) but have not received my interview letter so far. Basically each time I go to inforpass, they say they have received my files and I should wait to be scheduled for an interview. I contacted my congress person last month and they told me I am scheduled for an interview late May but a couple of days before the date, they told me that it was an error from my FO side and they are yet to schedule me an interview. I went to an infopass and the officer was very nice but did not know anything about DV cases and the time sensitivity. After 45 mins of talk to him, he gave his number to me and told me to follow up with him in a month or so. I am not sure what is happening there but was thinking to do something before time runs up.
Do you guys think I should talk to a lawyer about my case and see what he/she suggests? I know a lot of time people here believe that paying a lawyer is a waste (which might be!) but I was thinking based on their experience, they may know some other ways to follow up.
I was also thinking about Obdusman or even trying to reach the governer's office (this was supposed to be thinking out of the box!) (not sure if I can contact them but I will try)! Do you guys think about any other way? Any suggestion or idea is very appreciated.

Have a great week.

It's unfortunate your case seem to be taking so long. At this point, have you been able to find out if your background check has cleared?

Contacting the ombudsman at this point might not be a bad idea. Regarding hiring a lawyer, well you already know our take on it. But it's your case, it's your call.

It's unfortunate your case seem to be taking so long. At this point, have you been able to find out if your background check has cleared?

Contacting the ombudsman at this point might not be a bad idea. Regarding hiring a lawyer, well you already know our take on it. But it's your case, it's your call.
Mom, thanks for the reply. I have not been able to figure out the reason for this delay but will try to see if I can get a hold on the during my next infopass. Can BC pending cause this delay because based on my experience, most of the cases get their interview letter regardless of that? If that is the case, what do you suggest as alternative ways I can try to pass this bump?

Mom, thanks for the reply. I have not been able to figure out the reason for this delay but will try to see if I can get a hold on the during my next infopass. Can BC pending cause this delay because based on my experience, most of the cases get their interview letter regardless of that? If that is the case, what do you suggest as alternative ways I can try to pass this bump?

Yes a pending BC can cause such a long delay. And some FO wouldn't bother to schedule an interview if the BC is pending, especially if the FO is a busy one. It means less work load for them to be concerned with at the moment if the BC is currently pending.

You're already using the suggestions I know of that could possibly help - INFOPASS, congressional help, ombudsman, more and more INFOPASS. And lots of prayers, if you believe in the power of prayers.

I would like to thank everyone who participated in this thread and the old threads, asked/answered questions and the mods.
I submitted my case on June 1st, 2016 and today I've received "Your case has been accepted" text.

Good luck everyone!

@Sm1smom Hi Mom! last time you told me to schedule an infopass since it's been a month since my interview and my online status update hasn't changed. It's been written "fingerprint fee received" since my bio apt. I had my interview and I am waiting but in the meantime I would like to go to Canada to visit my family . Can I do so? I figured it wouldn't be a problem given that the only thing I am waiting for is a response.
Thanks!

@Sm1smom Hi Mom! last time you told me to schedule an infopass since it's been a month since my interview and my online status update hasn't changed. It's been written "fingerprint fee received" since my bio apt. I had my interview and I am waiting but in the meantime I would like to go to Canada to visit my family . Can I do so? I figured it wouldn't be a problem given that the only thing I am waiting for is a response.
Thanks!

Unless you already have an approved AP card, you shouldn't leave the US until your petition actually gets adjudicated. If you leave now without an approved AP card, regardless of the fact that you've already been interviewed, your petition would be considered abandoned - unless you're currently in a L or H visa status.

Yes a pending BC can cause such a long delay. And some FO wouldn't bother to schedule an interview if the BC is pending, especially if the FO is a busy one. It means less work load for them to be concerned with at the moment if the BC is currently pending.

You're already using the suggestions I know of that could possibly help - INFOPASS, congressional help, ombudsman, more and more INFOPASS. And lots of prayers, if you believe in the power of prayers.
Thanks mom. will do. fingers crossed! :D