• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

First of all, many thanks to Britsimon & SusieQQQ & Sm1smom.
Interview details:
1- My appointment was 7:30 am, we arrived 6:40, start queuing 6:50 am , the security asked for our 2nd letter, photos, Aramex registration.
2- Don't carry any electronic, chargers, Bluetooth, head sets, they will keep only the mobile in their safety box, other elect. need to give any one else.
3- We entered at 7:00 and they gave us number and asked to sit to be called later.
4- 7:30 exactly, all counters had opened, our number is called to one window, one Egyptian lady checked all our documents carefully and filed them in her file, then asked me if i need to change the address in US, i told her yes and i gave her the new address, then she gave me paper to pay 330$ for each applicant total 4 people.
5- I paid , you can pay by Credit card or cash...
6- Then we waited about 45 min then our number is called.
7- The officer was a very nice American smiling Gentleman.
8- Hi.........Swear all the doc are correct........
9- What is the name of your high school? University?
10- Where are you working?...I told him.... I'm working in China from? for how long??? I told from 9 years....Then he asked me do you speak Chinese? , i told him yes a little but my wife& my kids speak fluent Chinese then he laugh.....
11- Then he asked me where do you plan to live in US? I told him Bay Area CA....
12- He asked me have you been there? I told him yes...last Sept.
13- Then asked my about my friend who i include his address in Bay Area? Where he lives? What does he work? From how long time do i know him?.........
14- Then asked me will you find a job there? I told him yes i have searched and its easy to find my job as I'm a production Manager ....
15- Then he asked when will you go..??
16- Asked for finger prints for me, my wife & me again on behalf of my kids.
17- Then SMILING CONGRATULATIONS....and give me guidance congratulations paper to pay 165 usd online per person.

By the way, all the previous interview just took less than 2 min..He just heard 1 or 2 words from each answer and move his head and confirming the information from his computer with an impressive way.

Thanks again for everyone, I really benefit a lot from this forum, specially for my High school certificate, and for my army exemption certificate which they asked for.

Awesome!! Congratulations. Sounds like you are heading for my area - I'll have the kettle on!

Glad to hear the two certificates advice from the forum helped. These are small details of having a complete case, but being properly prepared helps one avoid AP.

Awesome!! Congratulations. Sounds like you are heading for my area - I'll have the kettle on!

Glad to hear the two certificates advice from the forum helped. These are small details of having a complete case, but being properly prepared helps one avoid AP.
This army exemption certificate, that Sam mentioned, is it some country specific?
I was under impression that if you never served y0u do not need any related documentation.

I had my interview on 31 march in Abu Dhabi embassy.
result : AP
as you know we are Iranian my job field was oil&gas and my husband had been served in military service.
hope to be cleared before visa ending :p
but sth strange happened , they didn't take any visa fee !!! o_O i asked them 3 times said it's OK.o_O
i was really confused and under stress and went back to embassy in evening again and persisted to go
inside , then when the officer found out what had happened got shocked and did apologize and took money.
when i came back hotel they sent me an Email and appreciated my honesty :)
again tomorrow they called back again and asked for my CV.
now waiting for soon clearance :)
thanks everybody who answered my questions here

Would you please give me the name of the official translation office that is approved by the US embassy in Abu Dhabi ?

This army exemption certificate, that Sam mentioned, is it some country specific?
I was under impression that if you never served y0u do not need any related documentation.

In countries where service is mandatory (conscription/draft), those who haven't served are generally asked to show a certificate of exemption - not sure whether it is to ensure that records are not hidden, or that there is not still mandatory service be performed. For countries with voluntary military forces such documentation is not necessary.

In countries where service is mandatory (conscription/draft), those who haven't served are generally asked to show a certificate of exemption - not sure whether it is to ensure that records are not hidden, or that there is not still mandatory service be performed. For countries with voluntary military forces such documentation is not necessary.
That is very good information, thank you. By reading the "Prepare Supporting Documents" section on travel.state.gov, it can be easily assumed that if you never served there is no need for the certificate. However, I checked the "Reciprocity Schedule" for my country, and it says "available and mandatory for immigrant visa applicants", while for all other documents it only says "available".
I assume there is no need to present the court and prison records if you've never had those. Which should be evident from a police certificate.

If you are from a country where "national service" is required, then the military service record is expected. If the person did not serve, not producing a military certificate could be assumed because they are hiding something and in that case it is smart to produce the exemption cert to explain the situation and avoid AP while they confirm that the selectee complied and did not break any laws.

Why do they care whether you served or not? Well for one thing they want to know you fulfilled your obligation if there was one. However, I think the reason could be that military justice is apart from civilian justice so complete criminal history is only possible through military files.

There are further issues, too. In some countries at least, you may remain "available" for furthe call-up if you have served, or sometimes you are still liable to go for "camps" every so often. So the certificate as far as I know needs to state that all obligations are discharged. Because it becomes problematic if you give an immigrant visa to someone who may theoretically be liable to serve in an army that you might possibly go to war against one day.
...at least that's what I understood.

Glad to hear the two certificates advice from the forum helped. These are small details of having a complete case, but being properly prepared helps one avoid AP.[/QUOT

Thank you Britsimon for your in advance cup of tea.......lol..I wish really to meet one day, I'll be staying in Palo Alto. Yes exactly small details made a lot of difference of non-missing any single doc......Great Job......

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are from a country where "national service" is required, then the military service record is expected. If the person did not serve, not producing a military certificate could be assumed because they are hiding something and in that case it is smart to produce the exemption cert to explain the situation and avoid AP while they confirm that the selectee complied and did not break any laws.

Why do they care whether you served or not? Well for one thing they want to know you fulfilled your obligation if there was one. However, I think the reason could be that military justice is apart from civilian justice so complete criminal history is only possible through military files.

Yes I was exempted already from my country military service, but they have asked me to provide my military certificate no matter if i served or not.

Thank you Britsimon for your in advance cup of tea.......lol..I wish really to meet one day, I'll be staying in Palo Alto. Yes exactly small details made a lot of difference of non-missing any single doc......Great Job......

Get ready for some eye watering property prices!

Hi every body,

My visa was finally approved ..
Would like to thank the forum members for being helpful to overcome this hard time ..
The interview was not easy .. lots of documents that I was fully prepared for. They focussed on security issues specially police clearances. The finantial and education issues are also important.
We are a family of 6 members, myself, my wife and 4 children. The embassy staff were very nice and helpful.
I had a lot of mistakes in the application forms, they didnot put a lot of attention to that they simply corrected it as in passports.

Thank you so much again and wish everybody a Goodluck ..

Hi there! Here am I again, brainstorming with my wife about the final destiny of our GC number which is 2015EU434xx... I didn't look for the last statistics, but would some of you give me some vision about our chances to get an interview finally? Last year it would be too high as a CN. But this year, with the new 260 procedures and exclusion of some countries? Who knows... Certainly I'm not the only one to wonder... All the best everybody...

How long does it normally take for the actual green card to be processed and made from the payment date of 165 USD ? Would it be ready in a month ? Is it possible to request to get this card sent to a non US address ? I think having the physical green card would facilitate dealing with some airlines on the way to the US and back as I am planning to get my residency activated and then return to my current country of residence for another 4-5 months and then move for good. Any help would be appreciated.

How long does it normally take for the actual green card to be processed and made from the payment date of 165 USD ? Would it be ready in a month ? Is it possible to request to get this card sent to a non US address ? I think having the physical green card would facilitate dealing with some airlines on the way to the US and back as I am planning to get my residency activated and then return to my current country of residence for another 4-5 months and then move for good. Any help would be appreciated.

If you pay before entry it makes no difference to length of time as processing only begins once you enter.
No, the card will not be sent to a non-US address. It will not even be sent to just any US address - it must be a street address. What you can do is get it sent to a friend who can then courier it to you (I wouldn't trust international mail for something as important as a green card, especially given that the replacement fee is $450).

No you cannot have the GC sent abroad (unless a friend receives it for you and sends it.

Upon approval at the consulate you would get a visa stamped in your passport. THat visa is a one time use visa for entry to activate your LPR status. UPon entry it is endorsed and can be used to show your LPR status for up to 12 months after entry. By that time you would have your GC of course and should then use that....

Calling all experts... My sister's CN is AS56xx. She has received her 2nd NL and her interview date is on June 2nd, 2015. She doesn't plan to move to the United States immediately after she passes her interview, fingers crossed that everything will go well. However, she intends to come to the United States as a tourist for 3 weeks in August 2015. Can she do that? She plans to move here permanently in October 2015. Thank you very much and I look forward to your answers.