• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Hi Everyone and congrats to those who got the nod for DV2015.

Britsimon and others who have helped countless people on this forum, a massive thank you, the advice you share is priceless.

So for those new selectees, here is what I believe is the process for DV2015 winners, if anything is incorrect please let us know!

1. Find out Case Number (CN) from acceptance notification available only online.
2. Decide whether to do Consular Processing (CP) or, if currently in the US, to adjust immigration status (AOS).
3. Regardless of whether doing CP or AOS, submit form DS-260 online (now only available online, open May 19). This form goes to the KCC for processing.

.... then, assuming everything is correct and accepted by KCC...

4. Wait until your case number becomes current by checking the monthly visa bulletins (VB). Interviews for DV2015 only begin in Oct 2014 and run until Sept 2015 (or until the diversity visa quota is filled).
5. Once your CN becomes current AND your DS-260 has been processed, KCC will automatically schedule an interview time for you and inform applicants of that time about 6-8 weeks before the interview.
6. (For CP only) Before the interview, arrange for police checks and do a medical exam from an authorized doctor.
7. Attend the interview with supporting documents.
8. Wait for the Consulate to return passport with Visa.
8. Enter the USA within 6 months of the Medical Exam to activate Greencard.
9. Receive Greencard in the mail 2-6 weeks after arriving.

Does this seem accurate to people? Any corrections or additions would be fantastic.

A few questions ... I am in the oceania group OC0011XX and so I imagine that my CN will become current in May or June next year. Does this mean that there is no rush for me to submit my DS-260 or should I submit everything as soon as possible?

I live in New York and have several overseas trips planned in the rest of this year, will applying for the Diversity Visa affect my ability to travel out of the US, and if so is it advisable to hold off submitting my DS-260 until after I get back to NY (Sept or Oct this year)?

Thanks everyone and good luck to all...

jw

Hi Everyone and congrats to those who got the nod for DV2015.

Britsimon and others who have helped countless people on this forum, a massive thank you, the advice you share is priceless.

So for those new selectees, here is what I believe is the process for DV2015 winners, if anything is incorrect please let us know!

1. Find out Case Number (CN) from acceptance notification available only online.
2. Decide whether to do Consular Processing (CP) or, if currently in the US, to adjust immigration status (AOS).
3. Regardless of whether doing CP or AOS, submit form DS-260 online (now only available online, open May 19). This form goes to the KCC for processing.

.... then, assuming everything is correct and accepted by KCC...

4. Wait until your case number becomes current by checking the monthly visa bulletins (VB). Interviews for DV2015 only begin in Oct 2014 and run until Sept 2015 (or until the diversity visa quota is filled).
5. Once your CN becomes current AND your DS-260 has been processed, KCC will automatically schedule an interview time for you and inform applicants of that time about 6-8 weeks before the interview.
6. (For CP only) Before the interview, arrange for police checks and do a medical exam from an authorized doctor.
7. Attend the interview with supporting documents.
8. Wait for the Consulate to return passport with Visa.
8. Enter the USA within 6 months of the Medical Exam to activate Greencard.
9. Receive Greencard in the mail 2-6 weeks after arriving.

Does this seem accurate to people? Any corrections or additions would be fantastic.

A few questions ... I am in the oceania group OC0011XX and so I imagine that my CN will become current in May or June next year. Does this mean that there is no rush for me to submit my DS-260 or should I submit everything as soon as possible?

I live in New York and have several overseas trips planned in the rest of this year, will applying for the Diversity Visa affect my ability to travel out of the US, and if so is it advisable to hold off submitting my DS-260 until after I get back to NY (Sept or Oct this year)?

Thanks everyone and good luck to all...

jw

That is a good summary. From Step 5 onward the process is very different for aos. So - it would be best to stop aos people reading right there as a relatively small percentage of people doing aos.

For your own case, yes, travelling out of the US can affect you at certain points during your aos process. Depending on what sort of visa you have you might be best to delay your DS260 submission. I suggest you start logging in to the DV2015 AOS thread here, and ask Sm1smom for clarity about that (with some more detail about what visa you are on currently).

As you have rightly understood, there is no rush to submit the DS260. Your number does indeed mean you have to wait until May-ish - so your latest submission of the DS260 will probably be around Jan of next year - plenty of time to wait and get more info on how the process works.

While doing step 3,do I need to attach supporting documents or I will submit originals to the CO during the interview?

?
So I don't need to send any of my docs to KCC

That is correct.

In previous years the process was a bit different (the DS260 is being used for DV for the first time in DV2015). So - we never sent any docs to KCC UNLESS it was to prove a significant change (like a birth or marriage certificate for a new marriage or birth during the process). This year should be the same in that respect.

I've a couple of qns which I'd like answers to. Kindly feel free to gimme ur opinions:
1) I'd like to move with my daughter and my husband to follow us later,is that advisable?
2) My boo has a good job so he is hesitant to move but he would like to be able to come for vacations,is it a must he goes for the interview with me?(trying to figure out if I'll pay $330*3)
3) If we do all travel together can he just be in US for a couple of weeks then he returns back to my native country?(is there a min time one is required to be in US after issuance of gc)
4) Is it a must we get external sponsors? Can we sponsor ourselves?(Will it increase our chances if our sponsor is in US?)
5) Finally,how hard is it to raise a baby alone there?is there any assistance from the state?
Thanks in advance.

I've a couple of qns which I'd like answers to. Kindly feel free to gimme ur opinions:
1) I'd like to move with my daughter and my husband to follow us later,is that advisable?
2) My boo has a good job so he is hesitant to move but he would like to be able to come for vacations,is it a must he goes for the interview with me?(trying to figure out if I'll pay $330*3)
3) If we do all travel together can he just be in US for a couple of weeks then he returns back to my native country?(is there a min time one is required to be in US after issuance of gc)
4) Is it a must we get external sponsors? Can we sponsor ourselves?(Will it increase our chances if our sponsor is in US?)
5) Finally,how hard is it to raise a baby alone there?is there any assistance from the state?
Thanks in advance.

1. You can do it. Whether or not it is advisable depends on your family situation. Given your later question no5 I would suggest you maybe shouldn't...
2. I'm not sure what a "boo" is (husband?) but a green card is not for vacations. Bear in mind if you get a green card and he doesn't, it may be very difficult for him to get visitor visas with a spouse in the US as the presumption of immigrant intent will be strong.
3. He can, but he may have problems maintaining the green card if he does not intend to take up residency. He will have a year to move back. If he looks like he is using it as a tourist visa they will revoke it. Also bear in mind as a green card holder he will be liable for US tax returns to the IRS.
4. Mostly you can sponsor yourselves but a sponsor would make it easier to show you won't be a public charge.
5. No assistance from the state (unless you count Obamacare). Bear in mind that as a new resident you mostly cannot access any public welfare etc for at least 5 years.

Thanks in advance.

1 & 2 & 3. You should all go to the interviews. The principal selectee must enter first or with the derivitives. There is no minimum time you have to stay after initially activating your status. Regarding "boo" coming and going for vacations. The Green Card is not a super flexible visitors visa. As an LPR they expect you to live and work there, pay taxes in the USA (and reporting income earned anywhere in the world). They can revoke a persons GC if they feel that person is not actually resident in the USA (so boo would be open to that).
4. You don't need a "sponsor" if you are able to support yourselves. You have to show that you will not become a public charge (i.e. requiring public assistance). If you don't have enough cash, assets or a job offer, then yes you might need someone to complete an affidavit of support (I134) for you.
5. Hard. As I mentioned in point 4, you are supposed to be self supporting and the USA has very few public assistance programs and has rules that remove or restrict you access to those for the first 5 years. If you need that sort of help - really I would suggest you reconsider your move here. Furthermore, splitting up the family like that makes life very hard and unless you have a family or support network here you will be taking on a BIG challenge.

Also it occurs to me, if you arrive in the US on your own with a baby, how will you actually support yourself? If you work you will need to pay for childcare, which is expensive. If you don't work you have no income...

Thanks guys...I guess US is not a land of milk and honey no more :confused:
This website has been totally educative and an eye-opener....I'm ashamed of my naivity(is there a word like that:rolleyes:)

This website has been totally educative and an eye-opener....I'm ashamed of my naivity(is there a word like that:rolleyes:)

I'm not sure what you expected? The US has never been "a land of milk and honey" if you are talking about handouts. It has always been the land of opportunity - where your background, class etc does not matter if you are prepared to work hard - and I think that largely remains.

It still has plenty of milk and honey - its just you have to pay for it! :)

By the way - I come from the UK where we have socialized medicine, free/subsidised education, very generous (overly so) welfare programs and so on. Speaking to most Americans - many of them are horrified by things like that - they believe those things are communism in action. Many of those same people (polical leanings generally to the right) also object to immigration and foreignors stealing their jobs. So - don't be surprised, (if you do come) that they don't exactly roll out the red carpet for you - you will be expected to make your own way....

No need to be ashamed, as the US is always represented that way in TV and movies. But there is indeed something about being in the US for many people that spurs them to work harder or build something up on their own. If you have any desire to start your own business, even if its something as simple as a dog walking business, then the US is a great place for that. But it will be hard going at first and, unless you have a lot of savings, it will require a few low-paying jobs to get you on your feet while you try different things on the side.

I'm not sure what you expected? The US has never been "a land of milk and honey" if you are talking about handouts. It has always been the land of opportunity - where your background, class etc does not matter if you are prepared to work hard - and I think that largely remains.

The diverse opportunities are the reasons for our desire to relocate...My "expectations" have been influenced by Hollywood

The diverse opportunities are the reasons for our desire to relocate...My "expectations" have been influenced by Hollywood

Yep you are right on both counts. It is good to go in with open eyes though and to be realistic about what you are taking on. Glad we had this chat!