• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

The foreign earned income exclusion would be well above that illustrative amount though?
In any case yes it's silly to lose the green card because of a job you're about to be laid off from anyway.

It depends how much other income he has earned - right? Redundancy payments (in EU at least) can be quite large and as I mentioned attract special tax treatment so it could be a large chunk of income on which no tax has been paid. If OP is already well compensated that could easily pop over the foreign earned income exclusion and that exclusion ends once he becomes resident in the USA. So - it depends how he plays it from the point of view of how much he earns abroad, when he finally moves to the USA and so on....

It depends how much other income he has earned - right? Redundancy payments (in EU at least) can be quite large and as I mentioned attract special tax treatment so it could be a large chunk of income on which no tax has been paid. If OP is already well compensated that could easily pop over the foreign earned income exclusion and that exclusion ends once he becomes resident in the USA. So - it depends how he plays it from the point of view of how much he earns abroad, when he finally moves to the USA and so on....

agreed - which is why I originally said if he has a lot of money at a low tax rate then he could have tax to pay. If the tax free portion falls under the exclusion limit and the tax rate on the rest is comparable to the US, he should be ok.

agreed - which is why I originally said if he has a lot of money at a low tax rate then he could have tax to pay. If the tax free portion falls under the exclusion limit and the tax rate on the rest is comparable to the US, he should be ok.

... unless he moves to California or another state with State income tax. :oops:

Here is my experience

I arrived at the Abu Dhabi Embassy @ 8.00 AM , I wait to be called to handover the documents , all want sample , last she question me about finiancial suuport so I give here my saving accounts and Work offer letter .

Then I wait to be called by CO , we enter room , here is below the question .

How long you been in UAE
What did you finish your university
What you are working now and where
What you did not been to the military service
How much saving you have

There was no question about where I will go or stay in US , Very sample interview .

Thanks again for all the help .

Congratulations man - hope you will be doing well ...
Would you please give me the name of the official translation office that is approved by the US embassy in Abu Dhabi ?

Hi again forum members; Today, at our local forum one of our member has this problem and needed some clearity but no one was clear with a definite answer. This is the problem: she had submit the name and addressed of her uncle in the us on her ds260 base on his concert earlier, just few weeks to her interview the uncle call and say he will not be able to sent the AOS but instill will ask his friend to sent it.

Her concern is that will this not be a problem given they already have different address on her ds 260 your help in answering her concern may be useful

Hi again forum members; Today, at our local forum one of our member has this problem and needed some clearity but no one was clear with a definite answer. This is the problem: she had submit the name and addressed of her uncle in the us on her ds260 base on his concert earlier, just few weeks to her interview the uncle call and say he will not be able to sent the AOS but instill will ask his friend to sent it.

Her concern is that will this not be a problem given they already have different address on her ds 260 your help in answering her concern may be useful

Shouldn't be a problem, at the interview she can just say she has a different host and give the new details.

I wonder if somebody can give any advice on travelling from the USA via Toronto and St Johns in Canada. I am a Lithuanian national and I am flying to New York for a week to activate my green card. Once I activate my green card, I am sure I won't get the physical card in a week. It normally takes more than a month to arrive in the post. I am planning to make a permanent move to the US within 6 months after my first trip.

1) Should I pay my immigrant fee of €165 before I go or should I wait till I am making a permanent move?

2) My return flights would be to Europe via Toronto and St Johns connecting airports in Canada, which means I would normally need a Canadian visa to pass their Border Control for interconnecting flights as a Lithuanian national. This visa would not be needed for US green card holders but I won't have the physical card itself. I think I should get my passport stamped for green card and will this stamp be sufficient to allow me to book this flight without any worry and be able to travel this way and clear the Canadian immigration ?

3) I was already in a similar situation about 10 years ago when I was travelling from the US to Europe to Canada after completing a J1 internship and was not allowed to board the plane bound for Canada as I did not have the Canadian visa. Can I be confident now when booking this flight that I will not run into any difficulty ?

I wonder if somebody can give any advice on travelling from the USA via Toronto and St Johns in Canada. I am a Lithuanian national and I am flying to New York for a week to activate my green card. Once I activate my green card, I am sure I won't get the physical card in a week. It normally takes more than a month to arrive in the post. I am planning to make a permanent move to the US within 6 months after my first trip.

1) Should I pay my immigrant fee of €165 before I go or should I wait till I am making a permanent move?

2) My return flights would be to Europe via Toronto and St Johns connecting airports in Canada, which means I would normally need a Canadian visa to pass their Border Control for interconnecting flights as a Lithuanian national. This visa would not be needed for US green card holders but I won't have the physical card itself. I think I should get my passport stamped for green card and will this stamp be sufficient to allow me to book this flight without any worry and be able to travel this way and clear the Canadian immigration ?

3) I was already in a similar situation about 10 years ago when I was travelling from the US to Europe to Canada after completing a J1 internship and was not allowed to board the plane bound for Canada as I did not have the Canadian visa. Can I be confident now when booking this flight that I will not run into any difficulty ?

Just to make sure you understand... you won't get your physical green card at all if you don't pay the $165 fee. (it's not clear from the juxtaposition of your first two paragraphs that you realize this.)

A number of countries that accept a green card in lieu of a transit visa do not accept the endorsed immigrant visa (or advance parole or various other things you can use for re-entering the US). So you would need to check with Canadian immigration what they actually accept - it should be on a website somewhere. So no, until you check you cannot be confident that you will have no difficulties.

We had some discussion about a similar situation not too long ago. You will be better served by going over the postings in this Thread:

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/denied-boarding-on-flight-to-us-with-i-551-stamp.325780/

This says Lithuanian passport holders don't need a visa for Canada?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp?country=lithuania1

Sad Story :-
One day, I felt very bad mood . what happened to me ? I dont know , It was jun 29th 2014 , deep voice was shouting : you should check the DV Lottery . Actualy I forgot that I regestered in 2015 DV . I went to the web site in where I can check out my enterant visa status . , I found that I must put my configeration number , hmmm .. I cant remember where i saved it . I browsed my pictures on my laptop and finally found it . I wrote it and my last name and .... etc

I found the American Eagle, my name, adress, the barcode and the case number . it's seemed normal . because I do not believe in this lottery , I logged of and went to the bed as if nothing happened . a hidden voice shouting , " congoratulations " you got it " .
u tried to ignore it but no way , once again i got back to my laptop and after searching on the net I realized that i won the DV 2015 ,
between me and you am a simple man , and to find yourself on the top suddenly means one of two options :- Either you are dreaming or you will become mad.

one of my friends encouraged me to fill the ds260 and I did .

Days passed by . my intetview scheduled . I could not intend it because of the financial support and as i said , Am very simple man . what i earn it in the day ,I spend it next day. and my Self-esteem does not allow me to beg and ask the others.
And Am sure the the poors dreams dont come true even if the luck stood by them ,

many wish to have such a chance , while i had it and could not do any thing .

I wrote that not looking for something but to tell you that simple people do not have the right even to dream

signature:-
very sad man

One day, I felt very bad mood . what happened to me ? I dont know , It was jun 29th 2014 , deep voice was shouting : you should check the DV Lottery . Actualy I forgot that I regestered in 2015 DV . I went to the web site in where I can check out my enterant visa status . , I found that I must put my configeration number , hmmm .. I cant remember where i saved it . I browsed my pictures on my laptop and finally found it . I wrote it and my last name and .... etc

I found the American Eagle, my name, adress, the barcode and the case number . it's seemed normal . because I do not believe in this lottery , I logged of and went to the bed as if nothing happened . a hidden voice shouting , " congoratulations " you got it " .
u tried to ignore it but no way , once again i got back to my laptop and after searching on the net I realized that i won the DV 2015 ,
between me and you am a simple man , and to find yourself on the top suddenly means one of two options :- Either you are dreaming or you will become mad.

Days passed by . my intetview scheduled . I could not intend it because of the financial support and as i said , Am very simple man . what i earn it in the day ,I spend it next day. and my Self-esteem does not allow me to beg and ask the others.
And Am sure the the poors dreams dont come true even if the luck stood by them ,

I wrote that not looking for something but to tell you that simple people do not have the right even to dream

very sad man

Simple people are entitled to dream and some of them will find a way to make the dream a reality. It sounds like you decided you couldn't do that. That is a shame, but it is your choice, and only you can decide what is best for you. Good luck!

very sad man
Hmmm... this means what exactly: that one has no way to change one's live to the better, under any circumstances? Very depressing outlook really, presuming you are real. Truly hope you will do the best possible with your life, wherever you are!

I think everyone has the right to dream. I can understand why crazyman thought he couldn't attend the interview, and it is a very sad story. Still, you have the right to dream, and if you can't dream for yourself, dream for your children, and their children. When my grandparents arrived in my country of birth, they were penniless, fleeing persecution in their home land. They were both illiterate, my grandfather was a tailor, not a fancy tailor, they also lived day to day, in a part of town that was very poor, but where they had moved to their children could go to school, sure none of their children got rich but they did ok, and their children (us, the grandchildren) mostly went one step further and went to university and got professional or medical careers. And as I think about it, this is pretty much the story of a lot of immigrants into the U.S. too. The first generation still does the hard work and paves the way and by the third generation the family is properly benefiting.

very sad man

If this is the same person that I know from a local or country forum, I have been in touch with this guy many times in one way or another over the internet. I could still be wrong if I am talking about the right guy but the story is almost identical. I remember trying to encourage him many times as he had these mood swings- which a lot of times were more towards to the " do not do this and do not do this " side- but now I am learning that he missed his interview. I did not have a clue at that time that finance was even a cause but evidently it was and now he stands where he was before. Again if this is the same person that I know, what I do know for him is that, he is a very nice person that struggled every single second of his last year or so with the thought of proceeding with it or not and/but he will possibly continue with that questioning if what he did in the past regarding this issue was a true or wrong decision. Nevertheless, I wish him the best and he truly is a person who should continue to dream and wish for his best interest wherever he is. Maybe his decision was right, who knows?

Last edited:
If this is the same person that I know from a local or country forum, I have been in touch with this guy many times in one way or another over the internet. I could still be wrong if I am talking about the right guy but the story is almost identical. I remember trying to encourage him many times as he had these mood swings- which a lot of times were more towards to the " do not do this and do not do this " side- but now I am learning that he missed his interview. I did not have a clue at that time that finance was even a cause but evidently it was and now he stands where he was before. Again if this is the same person that I know, what I do know for him is that, he is a very nice person that struggled every single second of his last year or so with the thought of proceeding with it or not and/but he will possibly continue with that questioning if what he did in the past regarding this issue was a true or wrong decision. Nevertheless, I wish him the best and he truly is a person who had the dream and wish for the best wherever he is.

Whether or not it's the same person - it's sad, for both of them, to have this chance and miss it. Sometimes life does that, give you what seems to be a dream come true and then for one reason or another, it doesn't happen. It's sad but all you can do is pick yourself up and go on. But never, ever let go of those dreams, because sometimes you get a second chance at them.

If this is the same person that I know from a local or country forum, I have been in touch with this guy many times in one way or another over the internet. I could still be wrong if I am talking about the right guy but the story is almost identical. I remember trying to encourage him many times as he had these mood swings- which a lot of times were more towards to the " do not do this and do not do this " side- but now I am learning that he missed his interview. I did not have a clue at that time that finance was even a cause but evidently it was and now he stands where he was before. Again if this is the same person that I know, what I do know for him is that, he is a very nice person that struggled every single second of his last year or so with the thought of proceeding with it or not and/but he will possibly continue with that questioning if what he did in the past regarding this issue was a true or wrong decision. Nevertheless, I wish him the best and he truly is a person who should continue to dream and wish for his best interest wherever he is. Maybe his decision was right, who knows?
Yes, it is a very sad story, thank you for shedding some additional light into it for us. Your comments, including your last sentence, are very perceptive indeed, as emigrating from your home country and immigrating to the United States are not for everyone. It does take a certain personality and determination to be successful and there certainly are some very sad stories of folks and families who did not make it and, ultimately, decided to return to their home country, in some cases much worse off than when they had left. There are opportunities and risks related to the decision, like with many important matters in life, yet clearly, it is not just the right thing to do for everyone.

What you seem to be suggesting won't work and neither would be legal. Thank you for considering the offer with presumably good intentions, though.
Given the circumstances of your reported case, and your access to the Internet and other information sources, have your considered looking into some of the following options, from US side and similar programs from EU and other asylum providers? http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum

Last edited: