• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

The address does not have to match and it shouldn't be an issue depending on what the sponsor writes on the I-134 form. Obviously if the sponsor states they intend to accommodate you on the form, as part of the assistance they're willing to offer you, then obviously your address should match the sponsors.
Thanks Sm1smom for your reply. My sponsor hasn't sent me the I-134 yet but she asked me what to write in the field of assistance that will be provided. She is a very close friend of mine and is willing to provide any assistance I need. In your opinion, what is the appropriate thing she needs to state on the I-134 so that it can count as an acceptable affidavit of support but at the same time does not contradict the fact the I will arrive to and settle in DC?

Thanks Sm1smom for your reply. My sponsor hasn't sent me the I-134 yet but she asked me what to write in the field of assistance that will be provided. She is a very close friend of mine and is willing to provide any assistance I need. In your opinion, what is the appropriate thing she needs to state on the I-134 so that it can count as an acceptable affidavit of support but at the same time does not contradict the fact the I will arrive to and settle in DC?

Well that's where the tricky part lays. Usually people presenting an affidavit typically stay with the sponsor and the sponsor is able to make a general statement under that section by writing something such as "I'm willing to provide accommodate, feeding and transportation assistance on an ongoing basis until so so and so is able to find a job and comfortably provide for themselves" or something similar to that effect.

In your case however, the sponsor will need to commit to stating precisely how much they're willing to provide you with and for how long - this gets tricky because COs usually do not like seeing a time limit on the affidavit, and they may equally say the amount indicated isn't likely to prevent one from seeking public/government assistance. Admittedly the I-134 isn't legally enforceable on the sponsor, however I doubt any sponsor will be willing to commit to a particular amount on the form.

Presenting more than one affidavit is not a good idea. Anyone presenting an affidavit should find just one sponsor whose income meets the required poverty guideline.
Dear @Sm1smom, what if an applicant with many derivatives(like 5) can't get one sponsor whose income meets the required poverty guideline? Won't the CO accept AoS from different sponsors? Is it totally impossible?

Dear @Sm1smom, what if an applicant with many derivatives(like 5) can't get one sponsor whose income meets the required poverty guideline? Won't the CO accept AoS from different sponsors? Is it totally impossible?

It's not totally impossible, however a lot will depend on the level of assistance each sponsor will indicate they're willing to provide. Remember, there's a section on the form that requires the sponsor to indicate the level/type of assistance they're willing to provide? This means at least one of those sponsors will have to commit to stating exactly how much they're willing to give you to help you settle down and for how long! This is something most sponsors are usually not willing to do regardless of the fact that the form is not legally enforceable. Plus the CO may not consider the stated amount to be enough. It's usually much more neater and simpler to find a single sponsor for the I-134

Well that's where the tricky part lays. Usually people presenting an affidavit typically stay with the sponsor and the sponsor is able to make a general statement under that section by writing something such as "I'm willing to provide accommodate, feeding and transportation assistance on an ongoing basis until so so and so is able to find a job and comfortably provide for themselves" or something similar to that effect.

In your case however, the sponsor will need to commit to stating precisely how much they're willing to provide you with and for how long - this gets tricky because COs usually do not like seeing a time limit on the affidavit, and they may equally say the amount indicated isn't likely to prevent one from seeking public/government assistance. Admittedly the I-134 isn't legally enforceable on the sponsor, however I doubt any sponsor will be willing to commit to a particular amount on the form.
Thank you very much for the detailed and very well explained answer.

Let me just get it clearly, if you have an affidavit of support from your host or someone else in US, do you really require anything
else say like title deed, vehicle logo book. share certificates etc, also can you present more than one affidavit of support.

If you have an AoS it either meets the standards or it doesn't. IF it doesn't it is useless. If it does, it is all you need (no assets or bank statements etc). You cannot combine two useless AoS documents to make one good one - and if you have one good one - then you are done!!!

lol @usken go.
In general any asset has its depreciation value. If you buy used car a year ago for 15k and if its depreciation value is 10% per year, the current price should be 13.5k. This general theory doesn't work in our country. In contrary, the price may rise to 15.5k or more. Do you think the CO will understand such local details?

Cars are generally considered depreciating assets. A CO is not going to be interested in taking a look at your car, kicking the tyres and deciding its value. However, someone who can afford a car will generally have other assets, an income, and so on - and the car is part of that overall picture. Showing cash in the bank is ideal and the simplest - but if you want/need to show a combination of assets then the math should be overwhelming so that it does not come down to a discussion about whether the car is worth 15k or 13.5k.

For instance -

Cash in bank - $5k
Car $10k
Property $20k

The cash alone wouldn't be enough, but the other assets far outweigh the shortfall.

Cars are generally considered depreciating assets. A CO is not going to be interested in taking a look at your car, kicking the tyres and deciding its value. However, someone who can afford a car will generally have other assets, an income, and so on - and the car is part of that overall picture. Showing cash in the bank is ideal and the simplest - but if you want/need to show a combination of assets then the math should be overwhelming so that it does not come down to a discussion about whether the car is worth 15k or 13.5k.

For instance -

Cash in bank - $5k
Car $10k
Property $20k

The cash alone wouldn't be enough, but the other assets far outweigh the shortfall.
Satisfactory as of always @Britsimon.
Thanks a lot

lol @usken go.
In general any asset has its depreciation value. If you buy used car a year ago for 15k and if its depreciation value is 10% per year, the current price should be 13.5k. This general theory doesn't work in our country. In contrary, the price may rise to 15.5k or more. Do you think the CO will understand such local details?

Using personal assets/properties to make up for the shortfall of the income requirement is actually a lot more difficult than most people realize. When the value of an asset is presented, the CO is not going to assign a 1 to 1 ratio to determine if the value of the presented asset is enough to prove that one will not become a public charge.

For instance -

Cash in bank - $5k
Car $10k
Property $20k

For instance going by the example given above, for an embassy that is enforcing presentation of financial documents or an affidavit of support as prove of not becoming a public charge, the listed assets may actually not be enough as the value of the asset as presented will need to be divided by 5 because every $5 of assets makes up for $1 of income shortage. In other words the Car valued at $10K is actually $2K and the Property valued at $20K is $4K for immigration purpose according to 9 FAM 40.41 Exhibit 1:

If assets are needed to meet the minimum income requirement:
(a) Amount of assets required. In order to qualify using the assets, the total net value of all assets must generally equal at least five times the difference between the sponsor’s total household income and the minimum income requirement of the current year
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86991.pdf (p.7)
Admittedly this guidance is related to using an I-864 form which is not applicable to DV selectees, however since this is the standard by which USCIS determines sponsorship sufficiency for someone already based in the US who is acting as a sponsor, I see no reason for the interpretation of assets usage to be different when it comes to applicants outside of the US and in view of the fact that when the COs tell someone they need to provide a new aos form, the guideline they hand out requires the sponsor to be earning an income of 125% above poverty guideline.

Using personal assets/properties to make up for the shortfall of the income requirement is actually a lot more difficult than most people realize. When the value of an asset is presented, the CO is not going to assign a 1 to 1 ratio to determine if the value of the presented asset is enough to prove that one will not become a public charge.

For instance going by the example given above, for an embassy that is enforcing presentation of financial documents or an affidavit of support as prove of not becoming a public charge, the listed assets may actually not be enough as the value of the asset as presented will need to be divided by 5 because every $5 of assets makes up for $1 of income shortage. In other words the Car valued at $10K is actually $2K and the Property valued at $20K is $4K for immigration purpose according to 9 FAM 40.41 Exhibit 1:

If assets are needed to meet the minimum income requirement:
(a) Amount of assets required. In order to qualify using the assets, the total net value of all assets must generally equal at least five times the difference between the sponsor’s total household income and the minimum income requirement of the current year
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86991.pdf (p.7)
Admittedly this guidance is related to using an I-864 form which is not applicable to DV selectees, however since this is the standard by which USCIS determines sponsorship sufficiency for someone already based in the US who is acting as a sponsor, I see no reason for the interpretation of assets usage to be different when it comes to applicants outside of the US and in view of the fact that when the COs tell someone they need to provide a new aos form, the guideline they hand out requires the sponsor to be earning an income of 125% above poverty guideline.

Interesting stuff Mom. We normally talk about $10k for a single adult. However, on the example I gave that would equate to 11k total. Am I missing something?

Also, I think the difference for people outside of the US is that they cannot point to a US income yet, so whilst the US based sponsor has to address the shortfall of income with assets, the applicant outside of the US can't be measured by the same standard. It is that understanding that makes me feel we are correct in talking about $10k when in fact that actually falls short of the FPG at even 100%.

Interesting stuff Mom. We normally talk about $10k for a single adult. However, on the example I gave that would equate to 11k total. Am I missing something?

Also, I think the difference for people outside of the US is that they cannot point to a US income yet, so whilst the US based sponsor has to address the shortfall of income with assets, the applicant outside of the US can't be measured by the same standard. It is that understanding that makes me feel we are correct in talking about $10k when in fact that actually falls short of the FPG at even 100%.

Nope, you're not missing anything and yes the $11K arrived at based on a 5 to 1 ratio, is more than the $10K we've been recommending to people, and should hopefully be enough to convince a CO. What I was trying to point out has to do with a situation where there is more than 1 person involved. I just didn't want a selectee with derivatives, say 2 or 3 family members, to become too comfortable thinking that with a $5K cash/savings, $10K car value and $20K property value to be become too comfortable by thinking they will succeed in using that to overcome the public charge obstacle at an embassy that requires presentation of financial documents when they really ought to be looking for someone to fill out an I-134 for them.

Nope, you're not missing anything and yes the $11K arrived at based on a 5 to 1 ratio, is more than the $10K we've been recommending to people, and should hopefully be enough to convince a CO. What I was trying to point out has to do with a situation where there is more than 1 person involved. I just didn't want a selectee with derivatives, say 2 or 3 family members, to become too comfortable thinking that with a $5K cash/savings, $10K car value and $20K property value to be become too comfortable by thinking they will succeed in using that to overcome the public charge obstacle at an embassy that requires presentation of financial documents when they really ought to be looking for someone to fill out an I-134 for them.

Got it.

VISA GRANTED :):p:D:rolleyes::cool:
  1. preparations
  2. passport(takes two weeks)
  3. birth certificate.
  4. kcse cert from my high school
  5. May 1.( i checked and i was selected)
  6. May 17 submitted ds260
  7. June 21 reopened( i fogot to add my high school name and to say that i wanted a ssn.
  8. June 22 resubmitted ds 260.
  9. police cert on September 1st.(its 1000 bob plus have your id and curry a pen) picked on September 15th
  10. 2nl was sent on 23rd of october (interview dec 10th)
  11. Medicals 4th and 5th of November (i wrote the hole process in prevoiuse posts) ur given a cd and vacination recod.
  12. Knec statement sent on 20th October (it takes 10 days to arrive)

INTERVIEW DAY
  1. woke up at 4:00pm.
  2. i put my stuff together
  3. Things to carry for your interview.
  • DO NOT CARRY YOUR CD TO THE INTERVIEW.
  • make sure you switch your phone off.
  • Passport
  • birth certificate
  • Kcse certificate
  • all other certificates.
  • 2nl
  • 2 passport photos
4. left the house at 5:00 am
5. i reached the embassy at 5:30 am(the earlier the better)
6. gates open at around 6:30 am
7. women made one line and men the other.
8. your asked to go to the police guy one by one.
  • they check ur snl and passport
  • ur searched all over including your bag.( do not curry any food or drinks.)
9. After that proceeded the the front desk which was outside.
10. you phone is then taken from you and your searched again using a machine including ur bag.(at this point you live your cd and phone and given a tag)
11. go inside then your given a number by the receptionist(they will check ur 2nl and passport and conferm ur appointment.) your given a paper to write ur details.
12.you then waite outside for your number to be called.
13. i was called at till number 4.
  • my passport was taken
  • kcse cert plus copy
  • birth cert plus copy
  • good conduct original
  • photos 2
  • 2nl
  • you will be asked some questions
14. given a payment coupon.(330 dollars)
15. waited for the cashier for 30 mins coz its opened at 7:30 am. (you can pay in dollars as well)
16.i took both recepts back to till 4.
17. i sut down for 30mins then heard my name.
18.went to till 8.
  • fingerprints are taken
19.sat down again for 30 mins.
20.called at till 9 for my interview.( i was like the second person)
Co: raise your right hand and sire that the information you gave was right.
Me: yes i do.
CO:Your names
Me:xyz
Co: married?
Me: nop
Co; any kids?
Co: name of high school?
Co; grade
Co: what you did after high school?
Me: xyz
Co: when you cleared?
Co; name of host?
Co; relation
Me; relative
Co; which state
Me;xyz
then she typed for some time then gave me back my knec cert and birth cert.
Co; congrats your visa has been gratnted.
Me: thank you.
Co; (gave me a green shit of paper to register for dhl immediatly and a white one to pay fees to imairation once i receve my passport .
( MUST PAY BEFOR GOING OR ILL NOT RECEIVE THE SSN AND GREEN CARD WHEN AM IN STATO
Me;thank you and have a good one.
Co; same.

and that was it.
:);):cool::p:D:rolleyes:

1. preparations
  3. birth certificate.
  7. June 21 reopened( i fogot to add my high school name and to say that i wanted a ssn.
  9. police cert on September 1st.(its 1000 bob plus have your id and curry a pen) picked on September 15th
  11. Medicals 4th and 5th of November (i wrote the hole process in prevoiuse posts) ur given a cd and vacination recod.

INTERVIEW DAY
  • Passport
  • birth certificate
  • Kcse certificate
  • 2nl
  • 2 passport photos
10. you phone is then taken from you and your searched again using a machine including ur bag.(at this point you live your cd and phone and given a tag)
11. go inside then your given a number by the receptionist(they will check ur 2nl and passport and conferm ur appointment.) your given a paper to write ur details.
  • my passport was taken
  • kcse cert plus copy
  • birth cert plus copy
  • good conduct original
  • photos 2
  • 2nl
15. waited for the cashier for 30 mins coz its opened at 7:30 am. (you can pay in dollars as well)
18.went to till 8.
  • fingerprints are taken
Co; any kids?
Co; grade
Co; name of host?
Co; relation
Me; relative
Co; which state
Me;xyz
Me: thank
Co; (gave me a green shit of paper to register for dhl immediatly and a white one to pay fees to imairation once i receve my passport .
( MUST PAY BEFOR GOING OR ILL NOT RECEIVE THE SSN AND GREEN CARD WHEN AM IN STATO
Co; same.

and that was it.
Good to hear taht you succeeded. Congratulations and thumbs up for keen attention to detail:)

1. preparations
  3. birth certificate.

INTERVIEW DAY
  • Passport
  • birth certificate
  • Kcse certificate
  • 2nl
  • 2 passport photos
  • my passport was taken
  • kcse cert plus copy
  • birth cert plus copy
  • good conduct original
  • photos 2
  • 2nl
18.went to till 8.
  • fingerprints are taken
Co; any kids?
Co; grade
Co; name of host?
Co; relation
Me; relative
Co; which state
Me;xyz
Co; same.

and that was it.

Congratulations and thaks for the detailed information. Wish you all the best:):).
I have a question, you didn't mention anything about an affidavit of support or bank statement, have you been asked about it?

Congratulations and thaks for the detailed information. Wish you all the best:):).
I have a question, you didn't mention anything about an affidavit of support or bank statement, have you been asked about it?
nop but they might ask depending on the co...i had mine ready just in case.

1. preparations
  3. birth certificate.

INTERVIEW DAY
  • Passport
  • birth certificate
  • Kcse certificate
  • 2nl
  • 2 passport photos
  • my passport was taken
  • kcse cert plus copy
  • birth cert plus copy
  • good conduct original
  • photos 2
  • 2nl
18.went to till 8.
  • fingerprints are taken
Co; any kids?
Co; grade
Co; name of host?
Co; relation
Me; relative
Co; which state
Me;xyz
Co; same.

and that was it.
Congratulations dear @Nayfara.
Wish you all the best in your relocation.

Just called KCC to inquire about my forms and was told that my forms were done processing on December 3rd (finally after four months) BUT it was a hit and miss and I won't be scheduled for an interview in February as they are done scheduling for February already and that I would be scheduled for March! Current for November and already missed November, December, January, and now February! DV process is really a test of patience!