• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

cant believe this. seriously. there must be something else. cos i have read some applicants omitted letters in their name but correct it via the forms and were granted visas after.
i agree with you. the name is not the only way to know the identity. refusal based on only this cant be right.

cant believe this. seriously. there must be something else. cos i have read some applicants omitted letters in their name but correct it via the forms and were granted visas after.

It can be as simple as that. The CO has the power to make a decision, and although most interviews are straightforward, there is always a risk that a small error will begin building doubt inside the COs mind - and it is possible they deny the visa based on little more than the mistake and the gut feeling that something is wrong.

Remember, they have many more selectees than they need - I am sure some embassies will be a bit stricter this year as they now know that there are plenty of honest/accurate applicants waiting for their chance. They may also be trying to reinforce the message that going through an agent will cause you problems. The agents are clearly abusing people, so I am sure the embassy would be keen to dissuade people from becoming victims to these con men.

now the details. ..
I got the embassy around 6:30 am ..met some other ppl there.at 7:00 Am we were checked in ....(.all protocols observed. )
Now the interview. .
co:(in twi) how are u doing.
me:am fine (in twi), and u.
Co:fine (in twi).
co:am going to ask u some simple questions nothing fancy ok..jux relax and answer n pls don't mess up.
me: ok (smiling)
co:pls put ur ryt hand up n swear. .
me:I did.
co:now we are ready to start. .
me:eek:k
co:when did u complete shs..?
me:I answered
co:how many times did u resist. .?
co:after school what did u do.??
me:I asked him which sch..shs or uni..??
co.: I meant university. .?
me:I answered. .
co:do u know what. ?
me:asked what pls. ??
co: congratulations I have approved ur visa..he then handed over to my blue slip with my name n visa collection date. .
me: thank u ..I asked "is that all.."
co: yes..simple isn't it. .
me:yes..I wonder what the fuss is all about. .
co:I will explain to u if u want me to..
he then told me about the agents and the naivety of applicants ..
me: I told him they should intensify the education of the public. ..
co: thanks we will do that. .see u next time for ur visa.
me: thank u bye..
congrats

yh that's was what he told me was the reason why we was refused

It can be as simple as that. The CO has the power to make a decision, and although most interviews are straightforward, there is always a risk that a small error will begin building doubt inside the COs mind - and it is possible they deny the visa based on little more than the mistake and the gut feeling that something is wrong.

Remember, they have many more selectees than they need - I am sure some embassies will be a bit stricter this year as they now know that there are plenty of honest/accurate applicants waiting for their chance. They may also be trying to reinforce the message that going through an agent will cause you problems. The agents are clearly abusing people, so I am sure the embassy would be keen to dissuade people from becoming victims to these con men.
thanks britimom ..I wasn't saying this to scare anybody I am jux saying what happened at the embassy. .so as to inform u guys not to make that same mistake. ...
And the guy was also a bit angry and I could hear him raise his voice at the Co also. .am jux reporting what happened there today. .

now the details. ..
I got the embassy around 6:30 am ..met some other ppl there.at 7:00 Am we were checked in ....(.all protocols observed. )
Now the interview. .
co:(in twi) how are u doing.
me:am fine (in twi), and u.
Co:fine (in twi).
co:am going to ask u some simple questions nothing fancy ok..jux relax and answer n pls don't mess up.
me: ok (smiling)
co:pls put ur ryt hand up n swear. .
me:I did.
co:now we are ready to start. .
me:eek:k
co:when did u complete shs..?
co:how many times did u resist. .?
co:after school what did u do.??
me:I asked him which sch..shs or uni..??
co.: I meant university. .?
me:I answered. .
co:do u know what. ?
me:asked what pls. ??
co: congratulations I have approved ur visa..he then handed over to my blue slip with my name n visa collection date. .
me: thank u ..I asked "is that all.."
co: yes..simple isn't it. .
me:yes..I wonder what the fuss is all about. .
co:I will explain to u if u want me to..
he then told me about the agents and the naivety of applicants ..
me: I told him they should intensify the education of the public. ..
co: thanks we will do that. .see u next time for ur visa.
me: thank u bye..
Congra dear bro.
But, what does it mean "how many times did u resist. .?"
I don't get the point of the question.

hmmm yh oooo..I saw the handy works of agents first hand today at the embassy. ..a dv applicants was denied because the agent spelled the guy's surname wrongly. .instead of OSEI the agent wrote OSIE whiles entering the the lottery. .
hmmmm the guy even went to swear an affidavit but still he was denied. .
I was ryt after the the guy and I could see that he was almost in tears. .
so @scratch pls call kcc and get clarification on ur problem before is too late. .ok..

It's really bad news. But I guess the guy may had multiple entries just by rearranging the letters. I think they have the databases to check multiple entries at embassy level.
I read many interview experiences with minor spelling errors but granted visas.

Wow !! denied just like that?? No chance for an appeal ??
There is no appeal for DV.

Your applicants may have been lucky. Certain people here try to explain how damaging such mistakes can be but others insist on trying to pretend everything will always be alright. It is not the case. Misspelling of names, wrong birth dates etc all lead to suspected fraud, and to a CO if he suspects fraud why should he believe an affidavit?

Hmmmmm
This reminds me, I have three names including my surname and I have entered all on both the edv entry and ds260. My problem is I have omitted one of the names on my SSSCE but all other documents bears all the three names.
Eg Asare john edem and on my SSSCE I didn't include edem.
All the same I have gone for an affidavit / attestation.
Would this cause any harm?

Hi @Britsimon and @SusieQQQ I have been reading your post and now worried. my first letter stated NFN Daniel Wilson. I checked online it meant NO FIRST NAME but my first name is Daniel and last name Wilson. I have that on all my documents/passport. am I OKay please?

Hmmmmm
This reminds me, I have three names including my surname and I have entered all on both the edv entry and ds260. My problem is I have omitted one of the names on my SSSCE but all other documents bears all the three names.

I had the same issue ie didn't have my middle name on my SSCE cert, but had it on my passport, birth cert and Uni cert, went for an affidavit just like you and I was good. You should be very ok.

Hi @Britsimon and @SusieQQQ I have been reading your post and now worried. my first letter stated NFN Daniel Wilson. I checked online it meant NO FIRST NAME but my first name is Daniel and last name Wilson. I have that on all my documents/passport. am I OKay please?

Yes NFN means "NO FIRST NAME" - I think you must have listed both your first and last name together under the last name column on your eDV registration. That however shouldn't be a problem at the time of your interview since you have both names listed on your documents. Just make sure you list Daniel as your 'First Name' on the DS-260 form and Wilson under the 'Last Name' column.

Hmmmmm

What they're really particular about is for the names used in registering to match what is on the applicant's passport and birth certificate (especially for a male or unmarried female applicant). The presence of a middle name on the school certificate is not a problem.