• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Thank you Sm1smom. I tried to do walk-in yesterday but they did not let me do it. They said they will not do walk-in and suggested rescheduling if unable to make it on the scheduled date. I am not sure if it varies with the state's law or officer. I saw some people in this forum have done walkin done.

Jawan14

I'm sorry your ASC didn't allow you to do a walk in. In truth, there's no law that says any ASC must or should allow a bio walk in. It's been based largely on luck, being able to pick the right time, when the ASC isn't crowded or busy, and pure luck. You can also check to online to see if there's another ASC not to far from you, and attempt a walk in with them. Bio can be done at any ASC outside of the assigned one, so maybe that's another alternative you may want to explore. You can also give your ASC another shot on another day, pretend like you hadn't gone in before and just hand over the notice. If they refuse you again, beg them if you have to and ask them to consider your coming in the day before your trip, explain the urgency involved with DV cases and how rescheduling may further delay your interview.

If none of these work, then you either have to cancel/postpone your trip, or do the dreaded rescheduling which I wouldn't recommend.

Hello everyone,
My visa number will be available in the upcoming bulletin. Unfortunately my wife can not find her passport, but i do have scanned copies of her information page and and visa page. It will take 8-10 weeks to get a new passport from Washington DC. Can we still apply for AOS using her old passport number? We are worried that applying with her loss passport number will result-in neither of us getting the chance go to the interview. Should we still apply together? Or should I only apply now and get a her onboard later? I am on a F1 visa and she is on a F2 visa.

Thank you so much for any information that you can provide in this desperate moment.

Hello everyone,
My visa number will be available in the upcoming bulletin. Unfortunately my wife can not find her passport, but i do have scanned copies of her information page and and visa page. It will take 8-10 weeks to get a new passport from Washington DC. Can we still apply for AOS using her old passport number? We are worried that applying with her loss passport number will result-in neither of us getting the chance go to the interview. Should we still apply together? Or should I only apply now and get a her onboard later? I am on a F1 visa and she is on a F2 visa.

Thank you so much for any information that you can provide in this desperate moment.

Yes you can apply with the scanned copies and show up for the interview with a new passport. However, I'm assuming you guys plan in filing a missing passport police report? Because it doesn't matter whether you already have a new passport or not before filing, the IO may ask to see the actual passport with the visa in it, and since the passport is missing you present the police report as the evidence of your inability to present it.

Mom,

Thank you so much. That is a big relief. Yes I am planning to file a police report today. I will keep you guys updated on the process.

Hello Mom

I am filling out form I-485. I hold F-2 visa.I have a question:
My husband is the main applicant. Which part is applicable to me in part 2?
I marked checkbox (b), and my husband (h) and explain he is DV lottery winner. Are we right?
Sorry about my stupid question, and thank you in advance!

Hello Mom

I am filling out form I-485. I hold F-2 visa.I have a question:
My husband is the main applicant. Which part is applicable to me in part 2?
I marked checkbox (b), and my husband (h) and explain he is DV lottery winner. Are we right?
Sorry about my stupid question, and thank you in advance!

Yep, you're correct - 'B' for you (derivative) and 'H' for your husband (main select/principal applicant). And no, your question isn't stupid.

Hi MOM,

I am on F1 visa. I am done with my master, and I am applying for OPT. I applied for OPT on April 10th, still waiting. I got authorization from my employer (City of xxxx) to come to USA to study while keeping my job and getting my salary. This authorization will end by August 31st 2015. I asked for a prolongation during the period of OPT. The ministry said it is possible if the mayor accepts. My mom tried to do the process, but it seems that my presence there is mandatory to do it.
My husband, on the other hand, is on F1 visa and from different nationality than me. He is studying. He has two or three semesters to go. He is afraid if we changed to CP, and the GC doesn't work, he can't come back to USA, additionally he will have classes at this point.
Moreover, I am praying that my number will be current by September's VB.

I don't know if I should travel now and fill the I-131 for Advanced Parole for my OPT process, solve my prolongation in my country and come back the 1st week of July. Or go for CP, and wait here till for my OPT.

I am so confused and need an advice.

Thank you my MOM

Hi MOM,

I am on F1 visa. I am done with my master, and I am applying for OPT. I applied for OPT on April 10th, still waiting. I got authorization from my employer (City of xxxx) to come to USA to study while keeping my job and getting my salary. This authorization will end by August 31st 2015. I asked for a prolongation during the period of OPT. The ministry said it is possible if the mayor accepts. My mom tried to do the process, but it seems that my presence there is mandatory to do it.
My husband, on the other hand, is on F1 visa and from different nationality than me. He is studying. He has two or three semesters to go. He is afraid if we changed to CP, and the GC doesn't work, he can't come back to USA, additionally he will have classes at this point.
Moreover, I am praying that my number will be current by September's VB.

I don't know if I should travel now and fill the I-131 for Advanced Parole for my OPT process, solve my prolongation in my country and come back the 1st week of July. Or go for CP, and wait here till for my OPT.

I am so confused and need an advice.

Thank you my MOM

If you change to CP, your husband obviously will need to come over to your country for his interview too, regardless of his country of origin. He will obviously miss some of his classes, he may need to be out there a minimum of two week, it could potentially be much longer. He also has a point about the possibility of not being allowed back in on his F1 visa since he's declared an immigrant intent, if the GC petition is denied.

I believe OPT approval typically takes about 2-3 months, so if you applied back in April, the approval should come in around July at the latest. I don't see how applying for an AP card now can be of use to you considering it also takes about 2-3 months for an AP card approval and there's the cost of it in addition. Plus if you have an approved OPT, you're aware you have a certain number of says to get a job, so I don't know how that's supposed to work with you going back to stay in your home country for your CN to become current.

Anyway, you'll have to decide on your own what it is you're willing to give up to get what you want, which horse to place your bet on.

If you change to CP, your husband obviously will need to come over to your country for his interview too, regardless of his country of origin. He will obviously miss some of his classes, he may need to be out there a minimum of two week, it could potentially be much longer. He also has a point about the possibility of not being allowed back in on his F1 visa since he's declared an immigrant intent, if the GC petition is denied.

I believe OPT approval typically takes about 2-3 months, so if you applied back in April, the approval should come in around July at the latest. I don't see how applying for an AP card now can be of use to you considering it also takes about 2-3 months for an AP card approval and there's the cost of it in addition. Plus if you have an approved OPT, you're aware you have a certain number of says to get a job, so I don't know how that's supposed to work with you going back to stay in your home country for your CN to become current.

Anyway, you'll have to decide on your own what it is you're willing to give up to get what you want, which horse to place your bet on.

Hi
I believe I didn't explain well my real issue. My real issue is regarding my job in the City in my country. I have 14 years work. My authorization from my home country will end in August 31st, and I want to apply for a prolongation till May 2016. I don't want to loose my job in my country. I want to keep it as a back-up plan if the GC was not successful.
So, I have to travel to my country to get approval from my employer there. My mom wasn't successful to do it for me there. I have to show up personally for it and come back.

Hope I explained better my issue here. I am asking what process should I do now to go to my country and come back before 1st week on July.

Thank you MOM.

As I know there are 2 mail box in Chicago lockbox, all the same process or one of them faster which is the express mail? If I don't recieve the receipt and didn't cash the fees next week, do you suggest to call and ask about the file if they received it or went where?

After we recieve the receipt is there anything else with uscis Chicago or all the process will be manage from the local office? Just to have idea how it's working.
Thanks

Hi
I believe I didn't explain well my real issue. My real issue is regarding my job in the City in my country. I have 14 years work. My authorization from my home country will end in August 31st, and I want to apply for a prolongation till May 2016. I don't want to loose my job in my country. I want to keep it as a back-up plan if the GC was not successful.
So, I have to travel to my country to get approval from my employer there. My mom wasn't successful to do it for me there. I have to show up personally for it and come back.

Hope I explained better my issue here. I am asking what process should I do now to go to my country and come back before 1st week on July.

Thank you MOM.

I understood your question and my long rambling post was simply trying to say I don't know of any way that you can leave the U.S. with a pending OPT petition and be allowed back in to process AOS.

You can't apply for an AP card now and hope it will be approved in under 2-3 months time (I'm not even sure such a petition is applicable to OPT).

There's also the fact that you've already declared an immigrant intent with the submission of your DS 260 form. Even if your OPT was to be approved tomorrow and you leave shortly after that, there's (1) the possibility of being denied admission into the U.S. because of the already displayed immigrant petition (2) the possibility of the AOS petition itself being denied on the grounds of already having immigrant petition when you were re-admitted on the basis of your going back to your home country (that's what re-entering the U.S. on a NIV says to the admitting officer at the POE) considering the fact that you will be filing AOS almost as soon as you return.

The only possibility of going back home to do whatever you need to do to keep your job there would be to switch to CP and your husband will have to process CP with you too. That's why I concluded my previous post by saying you have to decide on what you're willing to give up to get what you want.

Hi

Thank you MOM.

You need to choose whether keeping your backup option is more important than going for your green card.
Do you have any reason to expect your green card petition to be denied?

Hi

Thank you MOM.

What about emergency AP? Once your I-485 is filed, if you can show a good enough reason that you need to return to your home country, you can pay to file an expedited request for AP at your FO, which would allow you to leave the country with a pending I-485. I have no idea if your situation will be considered urgent enough to get the emergency AP approved, though. And this will probably mean you loose all possibility of returning in F1 status and using your OPT in the future, because you'd have to return into the country as an advance parolee.

What do you think Mom?

What about emergency AP? Once your I-485 is filed, if you can show a good enough reason that you need to return to your home country, you can pay to file an expedited request for AP at your FO, which would allow you to leave the country with a pending I-485. I have no idea if your situation will be considered urgent enough to get the emergency AP approved, though. And this will probably mean you loose all possibility of returning in F1 status and using your OPT in the future, because you'd have to return into the country as an advance parolee.

What do you think Mom?

I think trying to ensure a job back home is hardly a reason for emergency AP...

I understood your question and my long rambling post was simply trying to say I don't know of any way that you can leave the U.S. with a pending OPT petition and be allowed back in to process AOS.

You can't apply for an AP card now and hope it will be approved in under 2-3 months time (I'm not even sure such a petition is applicable to OPT).

There's also the fact that you've already declared an immigrant intent with the submission of your DS 260 form. Even if your OPT was to be approved tomorrow and you leave shortly after that, there's (1) the possibility of being denied admission into the U.S. because of the already displayed immigrant petition (2) the possibility of the AOS petition itself being denied on the grounds of already having immigrant petition when you were re-admitted on the basis of your going back to your home country (that's what re-entering the U.S. on a NIV says to the admitting officer at the POE) considering the fact that you will be filing AOS almost as soon as you return.

The only possibility of going back home to do whatever you need to do to keep your job there would be to switch to CP and your husband will have to process CP with you too. That's why I concluded my previous post by saying you have to decide on what you're willing to give up to get what you want.

Hi MOM,

Now I fully understand your message. And Really you make it very clear for me. Now, it is easier for me to make a decision.
I will stay here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH MOM

Hello Mom

Should my husband put all of his I-20 in AoS package or the last one is enough?
He was done with his Master degree in Feb, and started his PhD in this summer.
Thank you