• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

That is great! Congratulations!!

May I ask what memo you mentioned the IO about? Just trying to be prepared if somrthing similar happened for my case! :)

If you go to the first page of this forum, you will find the helpful spreadsheet that has instructions for DV AOS filers, the "useful links" tab has the new policy memo detail/link

Hi Mom,

Thank you very much for your complete response . You said:

"If your CN becomes current in July or August, you probably will not have the EAD card prior to the start of your residency program, it however doesn't mean you will loose out on your DV selection either. But of course I don't know the expiration date of your current visa. If you get to submit your AOS package before your current status expires, you will be okay, except for not being able to start the residency program in July."

I can extend my current research J 1 up to anytime that I want so that I won't be out of status . But I can't start my residency with research J1 . By July 1st I must have either switched to clinical J1 or Green card. The problem is that I believe I DO lose out my DV selection under clinical J 1 because AOS is not allowed under that entity; subject to 2 yr home residency. Please correct me if I am wrong??!

Now imagine, as you said, I send out my AOS package under my current research J1 which allows AOS in April/May, then while AOS is still in progress I switch to clinical J1 in June and start my residency with that on July 1st. If my GC interview date be hypothetically on July 15th will the officer tell me:

Yes, because you submitted your DS -260 and sent out AOS package and did the biometrics while still on research J1 in April/May.
No, because as of July 1st your status has converted to clinical J1 and you are not eligible to AOS.

Thanks again.

Hi Mom,

Thank you very much for your complete response . You said:

"If your CN becomes current in July or August, you probably will not have the EAD card prior to the start of your residency program, it however doesn't mean you will loose out on your DV selection either. But of course I don't know the expiration date of your current visa. If you get to submit your AOS package before your current status expires, you will be okay, except for not being able to start the residency program in July."

I can extend my current research J 1 up to anytime that I want so that I won't be out of status . But I can't start my residency with research J1 . By July 1st I must have either switched to clinical J1 or Green card. The problem is that I believe I DO lose out my DV selection under clinical J 1 because AOS is not allowed under that entity; subject to 2 yr home residency. Please correct me if I am wrong??!

Now imagine, as you said, I send out my AOS package under my current research J1 which allows AOS in April/May, then while AOS is still in progress I switch to clinical J1 in June and start my residency with that on July 1st. If my GC interview date be hypothetically on July 15th will the officer tell me:

Yes, because you submitted your DS -260 and sent out AOS package and did the biometrics while still on research J1 in April/May.
No, because as of July 1st your status has converted to clinical J1 and you are not eligible to AOS.

Thanks again.

Well, I was assuming the GC would be more important to you in the long run than starting the residency on July 1st hence my saying you wouldn't loose out on your DV selection for as long as USCIS has formally accepted your AOS package prior to the expiration of your current status.

If you switch to clinical J1, regardless of whether it was done prior to submitting the AOS package or after, you will have to present the 2-year home stay waiver before the AOS petition can be approved. So you have to decide whether you want to start the residency in July or you would rather have your GC first.

p.s. Can you please not post with a pink font? Reading the referenced post was a bit hard on the eyes.

Certified translations are needed along with a statement from the translator stating that he is competent in the original language and in english.
So you mean any one like a friend who knows both languages? Or an known translation office? Or can my embassy do it?

So you mean any one like a friend who knows both languages? Or an known translation office? Or can my embassy do it?
It's best to get it done through established/official channels that will not be doubted such as an embassy or an official translation office. Though an individual can also do it for you if you prefer that option. It's your decision, depends on how serious you want your papers to be taken. I would not chance it if I were you.

Hi guys,

I had my infopass today! The IO did not know if my file had been received from KCC. Also nothing about background check. IO checked my address to make sure it was correct in their system. I was told that I only need to wait to get the IL and said to come back if I did not receive it in 60 days!! Any advice what should be the next step?

Hi guys,

I had my infopass today! The IO did not know if my file had been received from KCC. Also nothing about background check. IO checked my address to make sure it was correct in their system. I was told that I only need to wait to get the IL and said to come back if I did not receive it in 60 days!! Any advice what should be the next step?
If you read back @ndubs and me had the exact same experience at our FOs. He went there late Jan I was at the FO this Monday. Try to book an infopass for the 60th day? That's what I am trying to do.

If you read back @ndubs and me had the exact same experience at our FOs. He went there late Jan I was at the FO this Monday. Try to book an infopass for the 60th day? That's what I am trying to do.

I noticed our FO is the same :) Based on your infopass, hopefully you will hear back soon from them and it seems that I have a longer time to wait ... Fingers crossed for all of us ...

Hello guys, Am wondering if the Australian Education system is easily synchronised with the american job market, My Wife studied in australia and am wondering if she has a chance of her degree/papers treated with more respect than african papers so that we do not have to do a post graduate immediately., Thank you.

Hello guys, Am wondering if the Australian Education system is easily synchronised with the american job market, My Wife studied in australia and am wondering if she has a chance of her degree/papers treated with more respect than african papers so that we do not have to do a post graduate immediately., Thank you.

Yes, I think as a generalisation the Australian education will be more widely understood than an African equivalent.

Hello Mom,

I have good news! Today I called to KCC and I was said that my file was sent to the FO on February 4th, my form DS-260 was received and was processed already (I submitted it on February 3rd). Yesterday I have made INFOPASS appointment on next Thursday, do you think it is too early or not.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I am confused, why do we schedule INFOPASS appointment? I read the google doc but may have missed something.
Thanks

I am confused, why do we schedule INFOPASS appointment? I read the google doc but may have missed something.
Thanks
You schedule one only when exceptional delays/ events or an issue occurs with your case. The INFOPASS is to seek information on your case or try to move it along when it is delayed or if you need to discuss a specific concern/issue related to your case with USCIS. If your case is progressing fine, you do not need an INFOPASS. Going for an INFOPASS is an exception, not the norm. Hope this clarifies.

Last edited:
Hello Mom,

I have good news! Today I called to KCC and I was said that my file was sent to the FO on February 4th, my form DS-260 was received and was processed already (I submitted it on February 3rd). Yesterday I have made INFOPASS appointment on next Thursday, do you think it is too early or not.

Thank you!

Seems startlingly fast. If that is correct, I guess they have a different strategy of checks for AoS cases.

Seems startlingly fast. If that is correct, I guess they have a different strategy of checks for AoS cases.
Seems oddly expedited to me as well, though @Britsimon I think AOS cases do not take the usual 4-5 months to process. I've noticed a maximum of 6 weeks for AOS cases…certainly faster than CP cases but never this fast! ;)