• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hi @Sm1smom ,

Before I got my interview letter, I had an infopass reserved for today. I almost forgot about it untill I got a reminder on my phone 1 hour before the appointment. I decided to go to follow up about the approval. The officer told me that he can see in the system that the case is approved and I should wait for welcome letter. However, my online case status is still at "fingerprint fee was recieved" and no CPO yet. Is that common? I am super worried :(

Yes it's not unusual, it basically means the IO forgot to update the case status. You can start worrying if either the Welcome Letter and/or GC doesn't show up in the next 4 weeks at most since the IO you saw today confirmed the case is showing up as already approved.

Gosh, that's a relief!! I was starting to think that the officer has done something wrong. I assumed the case status would updet automatically.

God bless you Mom :)

Guys,

I did biometrics on 10th of June. I am waiting interview letter at this time. My number is current for July by the way. It has not been long time after biometrics but I am loosing patience. I called KCC and ask them if my field office has asked my DS260 form and the KCC guy said that it has not been requested yet. He also suggested me to have them request. He said to call them ask them to request my DS260 from KCC. They will not do until I ask them. Is that true? I am not sure what he was saying. Any experience or advice...

Jawan14

Guys,

I did biometrics on 10th of June. I am waiting interview letter at this time. My number is current for July by the way. It has not been long time after biometrics but I am loosing patience. I called KCC and ask them if my field office has asked my DS260 form and the KCC guy said that it has not been requested yet. He also suggested me to have them request. He said to call them ask them to request my DS260 from KCC. They will not do until I ask them. Is that true? I am not sure what he was saying. Any experience or advice...

Jawan14

Your number isn't current until July, you've already done your bio and you're already impatient??? You seriously need to CHILLAX!! Technically speaking, you're not supposed to be scheduled for anything before July. Calling USCIS (since there's no direct number for calling your FO) to ask them to request your file for KCC is a shear waste of time, USCIS cannot do that.

The whole AOS package was returned to me back by Chicago Lockbox, along with this letter of explanation. So honestly, I am not really sure what this letter all about, considering I applied during the fiscal year (October 1, 2014 to September 30, 2015). And DV lottery number is current for this June. Please guys, any help/advise on this issue appreciated.

Here is what the letter says:

“This office is unable to accept and process the form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, that you submitted because your application was received either prior to the beginning, or subsequent to the end of the fiscal year for which you were eligible to apply. Your application is only valid if received during the fiscal year for which you were selected in the DV lottery. As such, all submitted application materials are being returned to you with this notice.

You must include copy of the Visa Center Congratulatory letter with your submission.

Persons selected in the DV lottery are entitled to apply for visa issuance only during fiscal year (October to September) for which they were selected. These dates are identified on the DV congratulatory letter sent to recipient.
Applicants must otbain the DV Immigration visa or Adjustment of Status by the end of the Fiscal Year (i.e. September 30).There is no carry-over of DV benefits into the the following fiscal year for persons who are selected but who do not obtain visas during the fiscal year for which they were selected.

Also, spouses and children who derive status from a DV registration can only obtain visas in the DV category within the fiscal year the DV registrant was selected.

Applicants who apply overseas will receive an appointment letter from the Kentucky Consular Center four to six weeks before their scheduled appointment.

(The dates on your letter from the Kentucky Consular Center may not be correct. Please contact them for verification)"

The whole AOS package was returned to me back by Chicago Lockbox, along with this letter of explanation. So honestly, I am not really sure what this letter all about, considering I applied during the fiscal year (October 1, 2014 to September 30, 2015). And DV lottery number is current for this June. Please guys, any help/advise on this issue appreciated.

Here is what the letter says:

“This office is unable to accept and process the form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, that you submitted because your application was received either prior to the beginning, or subsequent to the end of the fiscal year for which you were eligible to apply. Your application is only valid if received during the fiscal year for which you were selected in the DV lottery. As such, all submitted application materials are being returned to you with this notice.

You must include copy of the Visa Center Congratulatory letter with your submission.

Persons selected in the DV lottery are entitled to apply for visa issuance only during fiscal year (October to September) for which they were selected. These dates are identified on the DV congratulatory letter sent to recipient.
Applicants must otbain the DV Immigration visa or Adjustment of Status by the end of the Fiscal Year (i.e. September 30).There is no carry-over of DV benefits into the the following fiscal year for persons who are selected but who do not obtain visas during the fiscal year for which they were selected.

Also, spouses and children who derive status from a DV registration can only obtain visas in the DV category within the fiscal year the DV registrant was selected.

Applicants who apply overseas will receive an appointment letter from the Kentucky Consular Center four to six weeks before their scheduled appointment.

(The dates on your letter from the Kentucky Consular Center may not be correct. Please contact them for verification)"

Sounds to me like you didn't include the copy of the "Visa Center Congratulatory Letter" with your application, so they weren't able to verify that you were indeed eligible. Did you include that letter? It's one that says "you have been selected for further processing"

Your number isn't current until July, you've already done your bio and you're already impatient??? You seriously need to CHILLAX!! Technically speaking, you're not supposed to be scheduled for anything before July. Calling USCIS (since there's no direct number for calling your FO) to ask them to request your file for KCC is a shear waste of time, USCIS cannot do that.

Also, it's been 3 days since your biometrics!! After I did my biometrics, my interview letter took just under two months to arrive!

Granted it's now later in the fiscal year so you can perhaps expect them to be faster, but three days (two days, in fact, since today is Saturday) is a bit much to hope for. Even if they'd issued an interview letter on the same day, the USPS would take a few days to deliver the letter, so you wouldn't know yet.

Also, it's been 3 days since your biometrics!! After I did my biometrics, my interview letter took just under two months to arrive!

Granted it's now later in the fiscal year so you can perhaps expect them to be faster, but three days (two days, in fact, since today is Saturday) is a bit much to hope for. Even if they'd issued an interview letter on the same day, the USPS would take a few days to deliver the letter, so you wouldn't know yet.
Thank you Hazelnut for the comment. I was told by KCC guy that I should call USCIS and ask them to request my DS260. Thats was my major concern if I should do anything. If not, I will just wait.

Jawan14

Thank you Sm1smom,
Thats all I need to know for now. I was not sure if I am supposed to do anything so.

jawan14

Sounds to me like you didn't include the copy of the "Visa Center Congratulatory Letter" with your application, so they weren't able to verify that you were indeed eligible. Did you include that letter? It's one that says "you have been selected for further processing"
Hi hazelnutButter,
Yes, that letter was included. May be they missed to see that letter or who knows...

Having re-read their response it sounds like a mismatch between DV years. So - there is no chance you wrote DV2016 as part of your case number somewhere is there?
Britsimon,
No, I didn't write DV 2016. Only printed the selection letter and attached it. May be I should get an e-email verification from Kentucky Consular Center for fiscal year of 2015(October 1, 2014 to September 30, 2015)?
So I can attach that email as well and have the Chicago Lockbox to see that the email?

In regards to USCIS Field Office,
INFOPASS gives an option of taking the application in person to Field Office. So my questions is: Can Field Office accept Adjustment of Status applications in person? Rather than going through Chicago Lockbox?
Thanks.

In regards to USCIS Field Office,
INFOPASS gives an option of taking the application in person to Field Office. So my questions is: Can Field Office accept Adjustment of Status applications in person? Rather than going through Chicago Lockbox?
Thanks.

That option is for filing expedited forms such as a re-entry permit for instance. It's a promise made for certain forms where there's an urgent/emergency situation involved. An AOS petition MUST be submitted at an applicable lockbox (by the way, Chicago isn't the only lockbox responsible for accepting AOS petitions, there are different lockboxes designated for accepting AOS cases based on the basis of filing).

Each AOS petition has to go to a Lockbox which will then forward the petition to NBC after formally accepting the package. NBC forwards the AOS part of the package to the applicable FO. This is all explained on the AOS spreadsheet.

- Yes, just plain/legibible photocopies, no certification required. Regarding the dual language documents,miss your call if you want to use the documents as is or get an actual full translation.

- No PCC required for AOS (that's why it's not listed on the AOS spreadsheet).

- 2 days or 2 weeks or 2 months will be treated the same way if they want to make an issue of early filing, even one day! The thing with the denial is that if it's going to be done by the FO, there's no guarantee as to when it will be done - it's not like they begin to look at the petitions the months they're supposed to be current, it could be just when they're about to schedule the interview which could be 1 or 2 months after the CN is officially current and they make the decision to deny at that stage. So you just have to step out in faith if filing early.

Thank you so much for your reply! As I’ve been relying on the spreadsheet linked in the original post for information and am not 100% certain about the process outside from the information provided there, I have a few more questions if you have some spare time to answer them!

As the June Bulletin states that the Asia cutoff for July is 6850 and my CN is 67XX, would it be correct to assume that sending in my AOS package to the Chicago lockbox any time before July 1st would constitute “early”? What if it’s sent before July 1st, but only received after July 1st?

I’m also a little bit confused by:

- 2 days or 2 weeks or 2 months will be treated the same way if they want to make an issue of early filing, even one day! The thing with the denial is that if it's going to be done by the FO, there's no guarantee as to when it will be done - it's not like they begin to look at the petitions the months they're supposed to be current, it could be just when they're about to schedule the interview which could be 1 or 2 months after the CN is officially current and they make the decision to deny at that stage. So you just have to step out in faith if filing early.

As the spreadsheet had said “If your FO denies your petition without an interview due to early filing, you have the option of filing again starting from the 1st day of the month for which your CN is current. You will however have to make a new payment, and may have to redo the medical exam.” Would this mean that if I sent in my AOS package now (2 weeks early), I will be able to resubmit on the July 1st even without hearing anything back? Or will I have to wait until I officially hear back from them, which as you said may be much later, before I can resubmit?

Looking at the prior AOS timelines linked in the spreadsheet, almost every entry has a date in the "Chicago Lockbox" field that is many weeks before their CN becomes current. Does this mean that early filing is typical despite the risk associated with it?

Finally, would you have any advice on if I should file 2 weeks early or wait until July 1st? While I’ve done my best to read up on the process, I’m still very unfamiliar with how it works, and my main worry is with my CN being current in July, there won’t be enough time for everything to get processed in time prior to the September 30th deadline. At this point, paying the filing fee twice if it comes to it isn’t a problem – I mostly just want to maximize my chances of everything going smoothly.

Hi @Sm1smom
First, thank you for all the useful information you're giving us!
I went to my biometrics appointment on March 18 and I am still waiting for my interview letter. I called and talked to a 2nd level officer who told me I was in the queue and to wait patiently but I'm so scared to miss the deadline (especially because my FO is in New York and I think there's a big backlog here) that I made an Infopass appointment for June 29. I will keep you posted on what happens.
My question is about something else: I have a trip abroad planned for the end of July. Let's assume I don't get the Green Card by then. I'm on an H1B visa that is valid until 2017 - can I go out of the country and come back without jeopardizing my AOS?
My latest date of entry won't be up-to-date anymore and I assume I will have a different I-94 than the one I put in my application - is that ok?

Thank you so much for your reply! As I’ve been relying on the spreadsheet linked in the original post for information and am not 100% certain about the process outside from the information provided there, I have a few more questions if you have some spare time to answer them!

As the June Bulletin states that the Asia cutoff for July is 6850 and my CN is 67XX, would it be correct to assume that sending in my AOS package to the Chicago lockbox any time before July 1st would constitute “early”? What if it’s sent before July 1st, but only received after July 1st?

I’m also a little bit confused by:

As the spreadsheet had said “If your FO denies your petition without an interview due to early filing, you have the option of filing again starting from the 1st day of the month for which your CN is current. You will however have to make a new payment, and may have to redo the medical exam.” Would this mean that if I sent in my AOS package now (2 weeks early), I will be able to resubmit on the July 1st even without hearing anything back? Or will I have to wait until I officially hear back from them, which as you said may be much later, before I can resubmit?

Looking at the prior AOS timelines linked in the spreadsheet, almost every entry has a date in the "Chicago Lockbox" field that is many weeks before their CN becomes current. Does this mean that early filing is typical despite the risk associated with it?

Finally, would you have any advice on if I should file 2 weeks early or wait until July 1st? While I’ve done my best to read up on the process, I’m still very unfamiliar with how it works, and my main worry is with my CN being current in July, there won’t be enough time for everything to get processed in time prior to the September 30th deadline. At this point, paying the filing fee twice if it comes to it isn’t a problem – I mostly just want to maximize my chances of everything going smoothly.

- Okay maybe I should say the date at which the package is delivered is what USCIS looks at. So for a case that's current in July, if it gets delivered (be it by courier or USPS), on June 30th for instance, USCIS considers it early filing and can make an issue out of it if they choose to. If the package gets delivered on July 1st or any day after July 1st, it's considered okay. In the past (before the days of the 2 months early filing memo), most people used to target the first day of the month in which they're current.

- You can't just send in a new package on the first day of the month in the off-chance the initial package gets denied. You will have to wait for the package to be returned to you before you can re-file.

- Yes, early filing is typical despite the risk of package rejection/denial. The warning is put on the spreadsheet for people to be aware of the possibility of the package not being accepted, and to not assume the process will always work like a well oiled machine.

- Now, that's where I draw the line. I'm sorry I can't tell you whether you should file 2 weeks (or even 2 days) early or to file on the first day of when you're current. That's a decision I leave for everyone to make on their own based on the information we've so far provided.

Again, I will conclude by saying we have known cases of those whose CN became current in September (they obviously didn't wait until Sept 1st to file), and who successfully completed the AOS process before the end of their FY