• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Yes, there may be questions/issues to contend with years down the road if you decide to sponsor your parents for a GC, however you will cross that bridge when you get there! Worrying over that at this stage is pointless! If your parents are visiting, their B1/B2 visa application will be self sponsored, close reference isn't going to be made to your immigration history.
Thank you Mom!

Just wanted to update you all on my case. I finally had my interview today. It lasted around 15 mins, the IO asked for my ID, birth certificate, went through most of the questions on the I-485, asked for my employment offer letter (because I'm starting a new job soon). At the end she said everything looks fine so far, and that she hasn't received my visa packet yet and she will touch base with her contact to request it by the end of the week, and the card should arrive within a month. Does anyone know what she's talking about re: visa packet? I called KCC and they confirmed again they sent them my file in February, so just curious what this visa packet is that they haven't received. Many thanks!

I hold a F-1 visa now, but the problem is that I have violated the visa agreement by working in the U.S. What is the consequence of this, and how to deal with it? And it follows that I have claimed tax (1099 form.) Should I include the tax document in my application document?

Just wanted to update you all on my case. I finally had my interview today. It lasted around 15 mins, the IO asked for my ID, birth certificate, went through most of the questions on the I-485, asked for my employment offer letter (because I'm starting a new job soon). At the end she said everything looks fine so far, and that she hasn't received my visa packet yet and she will touch base with her contact to request it by the end of the week, and the card should arrive within a month. Does anyone know what she's talking about re: visa packet? I called KCC and they confirmed again they sent them my file in February, so just curious what this visa packet is that they haven't received. Many thanks!

The visa packet probably referred to what KCC has already sent. Once they realize they have that on hand you will most likely receive the GC faster than you were told. Hopefully - that will be the case, bbut in any case, it is only a matter of time.

This post and attached google docs are a GODSEND! Thanks so much for these! I wish I'd found them before hiring a lawyer :)

Three quick questions if anyone can help:
(1) I had an AOS interview about three weeks ago. I received an RFE one week later, and my lawyer submitted the documents in person the next day (about 2 weeks ago). Any idea when I can expect a decision, or is it completely arbitrary?
(2) The online case status system has not updated for me since early December. It's still stuck on "fingerprint fee received". Is this something to worry about? Will it update once the application is approved/denied, or is it basically now useless as it comes to my receipt number?
(3) There was a slight inconsistency in my lottery application. My full name is (for eg) John Jacob Benjamin Smith (notice two middle names). This is my full name on my passport, birth certificate, etc... I entered the lottery, however, as John Benjamin Smith. The CO didn't bring up the issue at the interview. Do you think this could be a problem?

Thanks so much to y'all, and g'luck to those still waiting to be current!

Daniel

Hello, just had my interview today. The officer asked for ID, proof of my legal presence in the country and asked questions from I-485 and my current address. She said she will have to check my legal status in the country and if everything is ok, I'll get the card in 14 days. However, she didn't ask for any financial information and I didn't include it with my AOS package. And I've read somewhere that the card's pictures were taken during the interview. Is it true? (They didn't take my picture.)

Hello, just had my interview today. The officer asked for ID, proof of my legal presence in the country and asked questions from I-485 and my current address. She said she will have to check my legal status in the country and if everything is ok, I'll get the card in 14 days. However, she didn't ask for any financial information and I didn't include it with my AOS package. And I've read somewhere that the card's pictures were taken during the interview. Is it true? (They didn't take my picture.)

For what it's worth, I had a very similar experience - no financial questions asked - but then I got an RFE a week later asking me to submit proof of employment or future employment... Hope that's not the case with you because it's such a letdown, but just letting you know not to worry if it happens.

I hold a F-1 visa now, but the problem is that I have violated the visa agreement by working in the U.S. What is the consequence of this, and how to deal with it? And it follows that I have claimed tax (1099 form.) Should I include the tax document in my application document?

By undertaking unauthorized employment, you've violated the terms of your visa status which makes you ineligible for AOS. In order for one to process AOS, you are required to be in status. So simply including proof of having paid tax on the earned income does not address a status violation AFAIK. The only exception is for someone processing AOS based on marriage to a USC.

By undertaking unauthorized employment, you've violated the terms of your visa status which makes you ineligible for AOS. In order for one to process AOS, you are required to be in status. So simply including proof of having paid tax on the earned income does not address a status violation AFAIK. The only exception is for someone processing AOS based on marriage to a USC.

so, should I try to send the document without disclosing my tax document?

She could either be talking about making a visa request through IVANSWEB (which is done online in a matter of minutes) following a review of your case with a supervisor (assuming she's not authorized to give the final approval, and she wouldn't tell you about that of course); or she could be referring to your case file from KCC which might be somewhere in the FO and is yet to make its way to her desk/office.

Anyway, hang in there, the journey is almost over.

She could either be talking about making a visa request through IVANSWEB (which is done online in a matter of minutes) following a review of your case with a supervisor (assuming she's not authorized to give the final approval, and she wouldn't tell you about that of course); or she could be referring to your case file from KCC which might be somewhere in the FO and is yet to make its way to her desk/office.

Anyway, hang in there, the journey is almost over.
Thanks Mom!

so, should I try to send the document without disclosing my tax document?

No, I'm not telling you to do that, because that equates to me trying to assist you to fraudulently obtain an immigration benefit to which you're not entitled. All I can tell you is that because you've violated your visa status, you're not eligible to process AOS. You might want to consult with a competent immigration attorney before taking any further action.

This post and attached google docs are a GODSEND! Thanks so much for these! I wish I'd found them before hiring a lawyer :)

Three quick questions if anyone can help:
(1) I had an AOS interview about three weeks ago. I received an RFE one week later, and my lawyer submitted the documents in person the next day (about 2 weeks ago). Any idea when I can expect a decision, or is it completely arbitrary?
(2) The online case status system has not updated for me since early December. It's still stuck on "fingerprint fee received". Is this something to worry about? Will it update once the application is approved/denied, or is it basically now useless as it comes to my receipt number?
(3) There was a slight inconsistency in my lottery application. My full name is (for eg) John Jacob Benjamin Smith (notice two middle names). This is my full name on my passport, birth certificate, etc... I entered the lottery, however, as John Benjamin Smith. The CO didn't bring up the issue at the interview. Do you think this could be a problem?

Thanks so much to y'all, and g'luck to those still waiting to be current!

Daniel

Congratulations on coming this far.

1. No one knows for sure how much longer it might take before a final decision is made.
2. Online status will change when the case is either approved or denied.
3. Probably not at this stage if the IO never brought it up at the time of your interview. If you did not list that name on your I-485 as part of your full name, your GC will be issued without the omitted middle name, and the rest of your U.S. government issued documents will follow the same pattern as they will be based on whatever is written on your GC.

The GC picture IS NOT taken during the interview, the picture is taken at the time of the biometric appointment. Seems to me like the IO is ready to approve your case, so fingers crossed for, it should happen in the next couple of days.

I got my interview today too in nyc she got emloyement letter and studen veryfication letter she asked some questions and she said we ll do security check if everything ok we ll send ur green card in 3 weeks

Hello Mom,
Few more questions (Sorry if these are silly)
1. My birth was registered last year and I got the birth registration certificate last year after I won the lottery. Is there an issue regarding that?
2. Do the copies of the document have to be colored or can they be in Black and white?
Thanks

Hi everyone,

So finally my case number is current. I put together the AOS package and had it overnighted earlier today. I guess I'll be more active in the forum from now on. I'll keep you guys posted about my application's progress and will add an entry to the 2015 timeline spreadsheet.

I have question about the spreadsheet though, since my case number is in the advanced cut-off section of May 2015 visa bulletin, I'm not sure whether I should put the current date as May or June.

Thanks,
Armin

Last edited:
Hello Mom,
Few more questions (Sorry if these are silly)
1. My birth was registered last year and I got the birth registration certificate last year after I won the lottery. Is there an issue regarding that?
2. Do the copies of the document have to be colored or can they be in Black and white?
Thanks

1. No issue.

2. Doesn't matter whether colored or B/W as long as the copies are clear and legible.

Hi everyone,

So finally my case number is current. I put together the AOS package and had it overnighted earlier today. I guess I'll be more active in the forum from now on. I'll keep you guys posted about my application's progress and will add an entry to the 2015 timeline spreadsheet.

I have question about the spreadsheet though, since my case number is in the advanced cut-off section of May 2015 visa bulletin, I'm not sure whether I should put the current date as May or June.

Thanks,
Armin

Congratulations on being current. Your current date is June.