• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading previous posts regarding DV winners, who are currently on F1 (student) visa.
Interesting discussions, which raised a question in my mind:
I'm on F1 visa and have had a valid I-20, but special issue with my case is that my visa was a single entry visa (Note: A single entry visa gets expired within 3 months of date of issue and the visa holder will in valid status as long as the I-20 is not expired and as long as he/she is registering full time and keeping full time student liabilities). I have always kept my legal status by being a full time student and maintaining a valid I-20, and my I-20 is still valid and will be valid even till end of 2015.

Do you think that I'm completely eligible to go through Adjustment of Status.
Any comment, idea, plz let me know. Thanks.

I know two people that they did AOS with single entry visa. So there is no problem.

so, hey,
I got email back from KCC saying to apply for I-485 after my number becomes current (my CN 9xxx for asia....looking at my friends numbers CN 4xx and 6XXX...do you think that I have a high CN?? or there is hole in these CN numbers?

also is the email from KCC the 2NL or is it something that comes as MAIL not E-mail?

also, can you tell me all the forms that i need to include with I-485 like I-765???

F1-Visa - Off-campus Employment through I-485

Hello,

I've been selected to participate in the DV-2014 visa marathon and I have a couple of questions. I'm currently a student on an F1-Visa.

1. Can I file form I-765 so I can start working off-campus based on the Adjustment of Status filing? I am not eligible to use my CPT (Curricular Practical Training) as of yet and would like to support myself better through an off-campus job. Will filing the I-765 when I send in my I-485 affect my F1 status in any way? I intend to continue being a student regardless of whether I'm able to adjust my status or not. Lastly, if I send the I-785, together with the I-485, will they send the I-785 approval/denial back before everything else so I can start work while I wait?

The next question is a huge blur and I dare say it has already been addressed. I might sound convoluted here so please bear with me.

2. If I can only adjust my status starting October 1, then what am I doing from August 15, when the first visa bulletin (VB) for DV-2014 selectees comes out, till October 1? Medicals, Forms, Checks, can all be completed within a week, thankfully. Does this mean that even if I'm able to complete all this, my application will be in limbo till October 1?

Of course all this is under the greatest assumption of all times that my number becomes current August 15..:eek:

Thank you so much in advance!

Dv 2014 ky doc and interview

Thank you for all your info on this forum
I sent the the doc to KY at the end of June so now what's the next step ? do I have to wait for an e-mail with the interview date?
Today I relized that I did not put the case number on each page is this bad??Please let me know ?Thank you

Response below:

Hi,
I have some questions regarding form G-325A (Biographic Information).

1- What is "file number" , which starts with A? It in NOT the applicant's number, correct? - It's the "Alien" Number. Alien numbers, or A-numbers are identification numbers issued to noncitizens by USCIS, Yes, it is NOT the applicant's number.
What shall I write as file number? - You can type in 000-000-000 or leave the section blank if you don't have an Alien Number
I'm on F1 (student visa), never been on OPT. - Then you wouldn't have an A number

2- 'Applicant's Employment Last Five Year':
Beginning from Fall 2013, I'm going to be a TA (Teaching Assistant) in the university, but again that's considered as part-time on campus job.
So, is it considered as an employment? - It's a form of employment, so list it

3- What about CPT (internship)? I have worked for around 2 months (off campus) in an internship position.
Shall I consider that as an employment? - I would say

4- 'This form is submitted in connection with an application for'
which one shall I check? Is it 'status as permanent residence'? - Yes

Thanks for your help.

Hi,
I am under F1 visa. I am doing on-campus part time job. Apart from that, my sister is supporting me.
Do I need any sponsors for filing I-485? Is it necessary to include the bank statement or so?

Is your sister here in the US? What's her status? She could possibly fill out the I-134 form for you. You don't necessarily have to include your bank statements with your I-485 package, but be prepared to show it during your interview.

I have a question

in form i-693 (medical form) there is a place that we should write "A-number". What is the A-number? is it our case number?

Alien numbers, or A-numbers are identification numbers issued to noncitizens by USCIS, No, it is NOT the applicant's case number. It is a unique seven-, eight- or nine-digit number assigned to a noncitizen at the time his or her A-file is created by USCIS. If as a student, you've ever applied for OPT, you should have an Alien number. If you don't have an A-Number, you can type in 000-000-000 or leave the section blank.

so, hey,
I got email back from KCC saying to apply for I-485 after my number becomes current (my CN 9xxx for asia....looking at my friends numbers CN 4xx and 6XXX...do you think that I have a high CN?? or there is hole in these CN numbers?

also is the email from KCC the 2NL or is it something that comes as MAIL not E-mail?

also, can you tell me all the forms that i need to include with I-485 like I-765???

KCC does not contact selectees by MAIL anymore, all communication from them is via E-MAIL.

APPLICABLE FORMS:
-I-485
-I-693
-G-325
-G-1145 (Optional)
-I-131 (Optional)
-I-765 (Optional)
-I-134 (If Applicable)

KCC does not contact selectees by MAIL anymore, all communication from them is via E-MAIL.

APPLICABLE FORMS:
-I-485
-I-693
-G-325
-G-1145 (Optional)
-I-131 (Optional)
-I-765 (Optional)
-I-134 (If Applicable)

Thanks for your response. Can you make me more clear about the further process. So when my number becomes current..do i send all my documents (I-485) to KCC and wait for a MAIL regarding date, time and location of my interview??????????????

also, just from experience, can you tell me the time difference that would occur in interview between my friend who has CN6XXX and me 9XXX??? Thanks for the help :)

Hello,

I've been selected to participate in the DV-2014 visa marathon and I have a couple of questions. I'm currently a student on an F1-Visa.

1. Can I file form I-765 so I can start working off-campus based on the Adjustment of Status filing? I am not eligible to use my CPT (Curricular Practical Training) as of yet and would like to support myself better through an off-campus job. Will filing the I-765 when I send in my I-485 affect my F1 status in any way? I intend to continue being a student regardless of whether I'm able to adjust my status or not. Lastly, if I send the I-785, together with the I-485, will they send the I-785 approval/denial back before everything else so I can start work while I wait?

The next question is a huge blur and I dare say it has already been addressed. I might sound convoluted here so please bear with me.

2. If I can only adjust my status starting October 1, then what am I doing from August 15, when the first visa bulletin (VB) for DV-2014 selectees comes out, till October 1? Medicals, Forms, Checks, can all be completed within a week, thankfully. Does this mean that even if I'm able to complete all this, my application will be in limbo till October 1?

Of course all this is under the greatest assumption of all times that my number becomes current August 15..:eek:

Thank you so much in advance!

1. Yes, you can file form I-765 with your AOS filing. Filing for and receiving an EAD will not affect your F1 status on its own. However, once you activate the EAD card by using it to work off-campus, you're no longer in F1 status, regardless of your still being in continuous schooling, and if for any reason your aos is denied, you cannot revert back to F1 and you can no longer use the EAD card to work.

2. Yes, nothing will be done on your case before Oct 1 (assuming you send it a month or two early following the release of the Sept. VB on Aug. 15th). Your fiscal year starts in October 1, USCIS will not process the case before the year officially begins.

"Medicals, Forms, Checks, can all be completed within a week"
Have you already made your DV processing fee and gotten your receipt back?

Response below:

Thanks for your response. Can you make me more clear about the further process. So when my number becomes current..do i send all my documents (I-485) to KCC and wait for a MAIL regarding date, time and location of my interview?????????????? - Yes, send your package to the Chicago Lockbox (NOT KCC). From there, the Lockbox identifies your package as a DV case, a cover-sheet will be placed on your file indicating that the application is a DV case and sent to the National Benefit Center. You will receive a Notice of Acceptance by mail (and by text/email if you include form G-1145 in your package). NBC will then sort and ship your file to the applicable FO which will now handle your case. You will then recieve Biometric Letter by mail, which will be followed by the Interview Letter by mail also.

also, just from experience, can you tell me the time difference that would occur in interview between my friend who has CN6XXX and me 9XXX??? Thanks for the help :) - For starters, you've not indicated the applicable region for your CN and your friend's, so I can't tell. Also, time of interview depends on a number of factors: number of visa released, background check, work load at the applicable FO, etc.

Response below:

thanks again for quick response.....so about sending packages to CHICAGO lockbox, i need to do that when my number becomes current right???? or can i send it early?

CN is AS00006XXX and AS00009XXX are from Asia (NEPAL)...we both are doing AOS.......we both will be graduating this december..we were just wanted to know if anyone of us can get an interview before that?

also, based on ur experience, what will be the time difference for us?

thanks again for quick response.....so about sending packages to CHICAGO lockbox, i need to do that when my number becomes current right???? or can i send it early?

CN is AS00006XXX and AS00009XXX are from Asia (NEPAL)...we both are doing AOS.......we both will be graduating this december..we were just wanted to know if anyone of us can get an interview before that?

also, based on ur experience, what will be the time difference for us?

Like I responded earlier, it's hard to say. For starters, nobody knows what the visa cut-off/progression rate will be like for 2014, if one is to judge by the 2013 progression rate, then the 6xxx CN is looking at being current in April 2014, and July 2014 for 9xxx CN. Of course this might not be applicable to DV 2014 considering the fact that more people were selected, and a realistic guestimation should be done using a trend analysis of about 4-5 years in the past. So going by 2-3 years ealier, both CNs could be current by November 2013. Just wait until the Sept VB comes out next week, it should probably throw more light.

Regarding sending in the forms early, if you're current in October, I woulldn't advocate sending in your package before the end of Sept, since it's the beginning of a new FY, the possibility of rejection is a lot higher. For other months, it's a gamble, sometimes they accept early filing, and sometimes they reject and return the application.

Wait and see the next VB, and you guys can decide whether you need to apply for OPT or not since you're both graduating in Dec.

1. Yes, you can file form I-765 with your AOS filing. Filing for and receiving an EAD will not affect your F1 status on its own. However, once you activate the EAD card by using it to work off-campus, you're no longer in F1 status, regardless of your still being in continuous schooling, and if for any reason your aos is denied, you cannot revert back to F1 and you can no longer use the EAD card to work.

2. Yes, nothing will be done on your case before Oct 1 (assuming you send it a month or two early following the release of the Sept. VB on Aug. 15th). Your fiscal year starts in October 1, USCIS will not process the case before the year officially begins.

"Medicals, Forms, Checks, can all be completed within a week"
Have you already made your DV processing fee and gotten your receipt back?

Thank you so much for the response. I certainly do not want to lose my F1 Status so I'll just have to not file I-765.

Yes, I sent in my payment and received my receipt from KCC last week.

Alien numbers, or A-numbers are identification numbers issued to noncitizens by USCIS, No, it is NOT the applicant's case number. It is a unique seven-, eight- or nine-digit number assigned to a noncitizen at the time his or her A-file is created by USCIS. If as a student, you've ever applied for OPT, you should have an Alien number. If you don't have an A-Number, you can type in 000-000-000 or leave the section blank.

Would it be Ok if we write N/A inside the box?

Would it be Ok if we write N/A inside the box?

You can write N/A if you like, I don't think it's a big issue. Personally, I wouldn't. N/A means not applicable, and just becuase one doesn't have an A-Number now means it's not applicable

Thank you so much for the response. I certainly do not want to lose my F1 Status so I'll just have to not file I-765.

Yes, I sent in my payment and received my receipt from KCC last week.

Again, there's nothing wrong with filing, just as long as it's not activated. But in general, most F1 applicants stay away from filing it.

Sm1smom,

After I completed my MA, I was on the OPT for a year and I had an Alien number, but then I continued my education and I am back on the F1 visa. Unfortunately, I lost my EAD card and my university didn't make a copy of it, so I don't know what my Alien number is. Do you have any idea what I am supposed to do in this case? I know that people can restore their lost EAD cards but I don't need it now, I lost it after my OPT was over. And does the Alien number even matter in my case since I am an F1 student again?

I know two people that they did AOS with single entry visa. So there is no problem.

Thanks a lot. Do you know how I can be in touch with those guys (if you have any further info about them).

And, regarding this I have some questions regarding form I-485:

'Current USCIS status':
In my case, is this F1 (student) visa?

'Expires on':
Is this Expire date of my F1 visa or my I-20?

I-94#:
Is this the admission number written on the top of I-94?

'Visa number':
I have no idea which one is my visa number. On my visa there is a 'Control Number', which is 14 digits longs, and an Annotation, which is exactly the same as my SEVIS number. BUT I don't see any visa number.
Would you please assist me on this? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can leave that section blank if you don't know your Alien # anymore. They may end up giving you a new one, or if they able to connect you to your previous A#, they will just reassign it.

Providing a previously issued A# prevents the possibility of having multiple numbers in the system and enables them to merge all previously opened/created files. But of you can't find it or don't know the number anymore, don't sweat it, it's not likely to be an issue.

Sm1smom,

After I completed my MA, I was on the OPT for a year and I had an Alien number, but then I continued my education and I am back on the F1 visa. Unfortunately, I lost my EAD card and my university didn't make a copy of it, so I don't know what my Alien number is. Do you have any idea what I am supposed to do in this case? I know that people can restore their lost EAD cards but I don't need it now, I lost it after my OPT was over. And does the Alien number even matter in my case since I am an F1 student again?

Status
Not open for further replies.