• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to those who held an OPT card. During the interview, do they check and make sure that you have not accumulated more than 90 days of unemployment? Should I bother getting documentation showing that I worked at such and such place, but never got payed? I accumulated 1 month of unemployment due to relocation, but then, all of my work during OPT was never paid. I have successfully transferred my I-20 twice after that, so yeah, this is yet one of the last things that worries me.

Yes, they most likely check, as they expect you to be in continued status. Of course, there's no guarantee what the IOs in each FO may pay particular attention to. So you should prepare like they will ask for and look at everything you have in support of your case. Make every effort to get each and any document you think is pertinent to your case. Of course, at the end of the day, they may not even look at any other document you take along to the interview, but it never hurts to be over prepared.

Sm1smom, thanks for your input. I have actually read a lot of your posts and I love them!

Regarding the early submission of I-485, an immigration lawyer I talked to totally confirmed what you had said.

All this process is a mixture of hope, stress and fear; so yeah, keeping my fingers crossed.

Let me ask you this: would extending my I-20 till December 2014 so that I fall back on F1 in case of denial alert the immigration officer and possibly lead to denial? In addition, assuming my number is current (EU 162***) in March or April 2014, do you think it would be wise to apply for OPT starting from mid-May 2014?

If your number is current in March, you cannot apply for OPT in May because you would have already demonstrated an immigrant intent by sending in your I-485 package prior to May. Apply for OPT after sending in your I-485 package is likely to jeopardize your GC application IMO. Of course nothing wrong with extending your I-20 till Dec 2014 provided it is done well in advance of sending in your I-485 package. But then, just like britsimon, I don't really see a need for it, not unless you're aware of a high possibility of your GC application being denied (which you haven't shared with us).

Last edited by a moderator:
britsimon,

thanks for your attachments in one of the previous messages and especially the spreadsheet; sheds a lot of light.

Regarding the self-employed work: I bought equipment which I leased it to one company. Either me or other workers used this equipment which earned me money. As a result the revenues I made were huge but there were also huge maintenance /licensing expenses. So I basically earned more than an hourly job would pay. This was done based on my general work permit (20 hours/week study time, full-time during vacation).

In addition, I have had part-time CPT (curricular practical training) arranged through my school, but the paychecks I received were issued from their head office (different company name). I objected then but I was told I would be fine. I just wonder if they are going to get too technical about these matters.

Okay, now I see why you're trying to have an F visa status as a fall back plan. I'm not sure if this falls under the authorized 20 hours a week on campus work a student can engage in. You should consult a highly knowledgeable immigration attorney, but before you do that, you may want to take a look at the following link regarding F1 Employment Questions:

http://www.klaskolaw.com/articles.php?action=view&id=55

AOS - Waiting for Interview Letter

Hi Guy, I am a 2014 DV Winner - AS000017XX

Here is my chronology:
May 30 - DV NOTIFICATION
AUGUST 16TH 2013- DOS PAYMENT SENT
AUGUST 25TH - DOS RECEIPT RECEIVED
OCTOBER 1ST - AOS PACKAGE SENT
OCTOBER 9TH - CONFIRMATION RECEIVED BY TEXT
OCTOBER 14TH - I797 RECEIVED BY MAIL
OCTOBER 20TH - BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT RECEIVED
OCTOBER 21TH - BIOMETRICS (WALK IN) DONE- WE DID IT ALMOST ONE MONTH BEFORE ( IT WAS SCHEDULED FOR 11/08/2013 BUT WE WENT EARLIER TO SPEED UP;

NOW WAITING FOR INTERVIEW LETTER

MY QUESTION: I AM CONCERNED WHY I'VE NOT RECEIVED THE INTERVIEW LETTER YET? ISN'T IT LATE? DOES IT TAKE THAT MUCH TIME. IT IS ABOUT MORE THAN 40 DAYS THAT WE DID BIOMETRICS. HOW DO YOU THINK?

Here is my chronology:
May 30 - DV NOTIFICATION
OCTOBER 21TH - BIOMETRICS (WALK IN) DONE- WE DID IT ALMOST ONE MONTH BEFORE ( IT WAS SCHEDULED FOR 11/08/2013 BUT WE WENT EARLIER TO SPEED UP;

MY QUESTION: I AM CONCERNED WHY I'VE NOT RECEIVED THE INTERVIEW LETTER YET? ISN'T IT LATE? DOES IT TAKE THAT MUCH TIME. IT IS ABOUT MORE THAN 40 DAYS THAT WE DID BIOMETRICS. HOW DO YOU THINK?

Hi,

just curious, when are you current and which office are you going to go ?

I was current on October as part of first group and I am in VA northern Virgina

You guys can look at the spreadsheet here and see the time taken.

You may also look at the previous years to get a fill of the trend. From what I see, it can take from 1 week to 3 months depending on your field office.

Here is my chronology:
May 30 - DV NOTIFICATION

Have you updated the spreadsheet here ?

Hi iel.hoss,

We have similar timelines exept I'm current in November. Haven't heard anything yet for my interview either. The DC Field Office is one of the busiest nationwide. We'll probably need to be patient for a while longer.

Good luck

Hi Fellows,
Has anyone had any experience with calling USCIS? I cant get to the customer services coz I do not know how to key in my receipt numbers on the phone. My receipt numbers start "MSC000xxx". Does anyone know what key for "MSC" on the phone's keypad?

the Fairfax office is very busy, from what I have seen. On the bright side, they do DV visas alot so IO are knowledgable and it should go smoothly once you do get your interview scehduled.

Okay, now I see why you're trying to have an F visa status as a fall back plan. I'm not sure if this falls under the authorized 20 hours a week on campus work a student can engage in. You should consult a highly knowledgeable immigration attorney, but before you do that, you may want to take a look at the following link regarding F1 Employment Questions:

http://www.klaskolaw.com/articles.php?action=view&id=55

That was a good link. Clears out some points, but also confirms how ambiguous the legislation is. But I think I got myself covered because I had my OFF-CAMPUS work permit when I was self-employed and still do. Thanks!

the Fairfax office is very busy, from what I have seen. On the bright side, they do DV visas alot so IO are knowledgable and it should go smoothly once you do get your interview scehduled.

Thanks for your response. Were you also in the Fairfax office? I am hoping that I can receive the interview sometime soon! Do you think going to the local office is necessary to follow up? I called once and the customer service doesn't really provide much info on your case.

I think patience is your best bet. At this point there is nothing you can do to speed your case up. If after 3 months from your acceptance date you still hear nothing, then its time to get worried.

Thanks for your response. Were you also in the Fairfax office? I am hoping that I can receive the interview sometime soon! Do you think going to the local office is necessary to follow up? I called once and the customer service doesn't really provide much info on your case.

Biometrics Scheduled

We received our Biometrics appointment letter on 11/29 and our biometrics is scheduled for 12/16 in naperville, IL (our ASC).

Our USCIS office is Chicago, IL. Reading experiences and previous DV2013 schedule excel, it looks like our interview will fall in Feb-2014. If anybody has any insights regarding this or general chicago, IL interview experiences, do let us know.

Thanks.

People that have their package returned might be able to answer this and of course others are welcome to chime in.

I got my package back yesterday, and they have "sorted" the content in their own way. All my dividers are gone. I personally don't see much of a pattern.

1) They have put some of the documents and forms in plastic bags and stapled it.

2) Some documents are possibly scanned and a long code/barcode is printed along the edges.

3) Some documents have their printed code (on the margin) crossed out later with a pen.

4) There is a green sheet instructing us to put it on top of the package when resubmitting. It is stapled half way through the stack.

5) They have stapled the checks to one of the stacks.

So how did/would you resubmit the documents? Did you mail it back as you received it or did you "re-sort" the documents. Basically, how did/would you address any of the above issues, especially number 3.

6) Did you put a single check of $1070 per person, or did you split it by I-485 fee and Biometrics fee for a total of two checks? I don't want to have it returned this time for another pedantic technicality.

Thanks!

An additional and worrying issue that I found was that it looks like they were wrongfully treating my wife as the principal applicant and the returned packaged was addressed to my wife. Hopefully this will not cause any issues in the future.

I resent the package on Saturday and it is scheduled for delivery today. I will keep you all posted.

We received our Biometrics appointment letter on 11/29 and our biometrics is scheduled for 12/16 in naperville, IL (our ASC).

Our USCIS office is Chicago, IL. Reading experiences and previous DV2013 schedule excel, it looks like our interview will fall in Feb-2014. If anybody has any insights regarding this or general chicago, IL interview experiences, do let us know.

Thanks.

Yours could be earlier this year . I know that from the spreadsheet someone who was current in Oct got her interview done in the 1st week of Nov. Unfortunately she never bother to update with details. Just look for your Chicago and go to the last column on her interview experiences.

I am going for AOS interview in this week, and have two questions:
case: 2014AS000016**

1. please help to sequence the documents that I need to present in field office
2. Please help to give some questions interviewer may ask me about,

thanks very much...

I am going for AOS interview in this week, and have two questions:
case: 2014AS000016**

1. please help to sequence the documents that I need to present in field office
2. Please help to give some questions interviewer may ask me about,

thanks very much...

Mike, can you update your details here?

1. Have all the ORIGINAL documents that you submitted
2. Bring along additional documents that you feel will support the case. Mainly financial documents etc.
3. You don't have to present all the documents, just show the documents that they request during the interview.
4. You can see three of them have done their interviews and posted their experiences. The link is in the last column of the spread sheet.

Good Luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.