• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
My passport will expires on 4/27/2014. I guess my number will be current in Feb 2014. Should I renew my passport before sending my documents or would it be ok if I wait until the expiration date?
Thank you

My passport will expires on 4/27/2014. I guess my number will be current in Feb 2014. Should I renew my passport before sending my documents or would it be ok if I wait until the expiration date?
Thank you

I would recommend renewing it now. You have plenty of time, so do it and it is one less thing to worry about.

hi,

I am scheduled for final interview for AOS, thanks to immigration.com for your immense help,
its in first week of december, and I am worried about documents to take there........
DV caseno: 2014AS000016**

almost all documents, I have with as below, which i had sent in i485 also:
i. Birth Certificate and Certified Translation
ii. Passport all Pages with Visa
iii. I-94 front and back
iv. Four copies of I 20 ( First attended University , Transferred University , Degree Completed OPT issuance and worked with first Employer, and worked with Second or current Employer)
v. OPT EAD card valid until June, 2014
vi. Employment Letter and Paystub from Employer
vii. Copy of SSN
viii. University Degrees (Undergraduate, and Master’s Degrees and Transcripts)
ix. Last year Tax return and W2 documents
x. Police clearance Report from Home Country

Now, What Affidavit of support document I need ? i134 or I864, while I am inside USA....and is my documents above listed are complete for interview or I am missing anything?

Regarding the documents for the interview, what about:
1. High School Diploma
2. DV Payment Payment Receipt
3. 1stNL and 2ndNL - (i.e. selectee notification letter and the email received from KCC after sending in form DSP-122)

Not sure why you think you need to have an affidavit of support. Is your income below the poverty level threshhold? If you feel better having an affidavit of support on hand though, form I-134 is what you need.

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Firstly, I have read a lot on this forum and thank everybody for their contributions to this forum! God bless!

Now I need some help regarding my specific case. My case number is 2014EU000162*** and I am planning for AOS being on F1 visa in the US right now.

1. When would you guys predict my number will be current?

2. I am graduating in May 2014. I am a positive person, but in case of denial, what are my options to stay in the US? Will I be able to apply for OPT or do I have to go back to school?

3. I am dating a girl and we are thinking of getting married. She is not a permanent resident. Do you think our marriage before applying for diversity visa will affect my approval chances?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

1. Your number could be current for February, or failing that, March. That means you could submit your paperwork as soon as mid December.

2. You will have your GC by then (or at least have started processing the DV application) so it won't be an issue.

3. A marriage now will get scrutinised. If it was planned, and has lots of evidence of the relationship then you should be ok BUT you are obviously increasing risk and complication. Given tat you describe this as "dating" it sounds like the marriage is a bit premature, so be careful. A wife is for life, not just for Christmas....

Firstly, I have read a lot on this forum and thank everybody for their contributions to this forum! God bless!

Now I need some help regarding my specific case. My case number is 2014EU000162*** and I am planning for AOS being on F1 visa in the US right now.

1. When would you guys predict my number will be current?

2. I am graduating in May 2014. I am a positive person, but in case of denial, what are my options to stay in the US? Will I be able to apply for OPT or do I have to go back to school?

3. I am dating a girl and we are thinking of getting married. She is not a permanent resident. Do you think our marriage before applying for diversity visa will affect my approval chances?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Your number could be current for February, or failing that, March. That means you could submit your paperwork as soon as mid November.

2. You will have your GC by then (or at least have started processing the DV application) so it won't be an issue.

3. A marriage now will get scrutinised. If it was planned, and has lots of evidence of the relationship then you should be ok BUT you are obviously increasing risk and complication. Given tat you describe this as "dating" it sounds like the marriage is a bit premature, so be careful. A wife is for life, not just for Christmas....

Wow, that was a quick response, britsimon!

Thanks for the reply and for your wishes, I hope you will get your GC soon too, smoothly.

So you are saying I can submit my paperwork around 3 months before my number becomes current? I used to think I had to wait till it actually gets current on the visa bulletin?

Thanks for the reply and for your wishes, I hope you will get your GC soon too, smoothly.

So you are saying I can submit my paperwork around 3 months before my number becomes current? I used to think I had to wait till it actually gets current on the visa bulletin?

Early submission has been accepted in the past, but this year there was a memo that has made that even more clear.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

By the way, the AOS process has been described well in this forum and some have kindly put together the details below that will help you with your process.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozhLxh12qzYdDU3WkxHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E#gid=0

No, you cannot submit your I-485 package 3 months before your CN becomes current. Even with the release of the new Memo, there's no guarantee it would be accepted if sent in based on the advanced notification section of the VB, one month early submission is the most likely successful option IMO.

Fingers crossed, yourCN could become current and your I-485 package could at least be at the acceptance stage by the time you graduate in May. However do take note that in the case of a denial, a renewal of your F1 status will probably be denied since you've demonstrated immigrant intent.

No, you cannot submit your I-485 package 3 months before your CN becomes current. Even with the release of the new Memo, there's no guarantee it would be accepted if sent in based on the advanced notification section of the VB, one month early submission is the most likely successful option IMO.

So far, those who sent in 1 month before their current month is accepted. In my case, I was current in Nov and sent my AOS package on Sept18. USCIS rejected and send back the package to me on 30th Sept. I just resend the package back and it was accepted. To be safe just send in one month earlier.

Good Luck

Question to those who held an OPT card. During the interview, do they check and make sure that you have not accumulated more than 90 days of unemployment? Should I bother getting documentation showing that I worked at such and such place, but never got payed? I accumulated 1 month of unemployment due to relocation, but then, all of my work during OPT was never paid. I have successfully transferred my I-20 twice after that, so yeah, this is yet one of the last things that worries me.

Fingers crossed, yourCN could become current and your I-485 package could at least be at the acceptance stage by the time you graduate in May. However do take note that in the case of a denial, a renewal of your F1 status will probably be denied since you've demonstrated immigrant intent.

Sm1smom, thanks for your input. I have actually read a lot of your posts and I love them!

Regarding the early submission of I-485, an immigration lawyer I talked to totally confirmed what you had said.

All this process is a mixture of hope, stress and fear; so yeah, keeping my fingers crossed.

Let me ask you this: would extending my I-20 till December 2014 so that I fall back on F1 in case of denial alert the immigration officer and possibly lead to denial? In addition, assuming my number is current (EU 162***) in March or April 2014, do you think it would be wise to apply for OPT starting from mid-May 2014?

So far, those who sent in 1 month before their current month is accepted. In my case, I was current in Nov and sent my AOS package on Sept18. USCIS rejected and send back the package to me on 30th Sept. I just resend the package back and it was accepted. To be safe just send in one month earlier.

Good Luck

s6656,

one month earlier, I got you. Best of luck to you, too!

Sm1smom, thanks for your input. I have actually read a lot of your posts and I love them!

Regarding the early submission of I-485, an immigration lawyer I talked to totally confirmed what you had said.

All this process is a mixture of hope, stress and fear; so yeah, keeping my fingers crossed.

Let me ask you this: would extending my I-20 till December 2014 so that I fall back on F1 in case of denial alert the immigration officer and possibly lead to denial? In addition, assuming my number is current (EU 162***) in March or April 2014, do you think it would be wise to apply for OPT starting from mid-May 2014?

It's just dawned on me why you mentioned three months. My post said mid November but I meant mid December (assuming you would be current in Feb). Basically the memo says you can file as soon as your number is announced on the VB as being current. Sm1smom is suggesting waiting a couple of weeks longer than that, and that sounds wise. It is early enough anyway.

Anyway, the other point I was trying to make was that you should put your efforts in to getting your DV process paperwork in order. Assuming you have no issues (not been out of status, are qualified by education etc) then the DV process is straightforward. You will be current in March at the latest (I really think February) so you have PLENTY of time. Don't waste your time or money on F1 or OPT filing or planning. You really should not need it.

It's just dawned on me why you mentioned three months. My post said mid November but I meant mid December (assuming you would be current in Feb). Basically the memo says you can file as soon as your number is announced on the VB as being current. Sm1smom is suggesting waiting a couple of weeks longer than that, and that sounds wise. It is early enough anyway.

Anyway, the other point I was trying to make was that you should put your efforts in to getting your DV process paperwork in order. Assuming you have no issues (not been out of status, are qualified by education etc) then the DV process is straightforward. You will be current in March at the latest (I really think February) so you have PLENTY of time. Don't waste your time or money on F1 or OPT filing or planning. You really should not need it.

britsimon,

that's what I thought - mid Nov was probably a typo :).

February would be awesome!! I have never been out of status, getting my master's degree. The only thing I am a little worried is that I was self-employed (with work permit of course) and was paid based on 1099. I don't know how immigration will treat this but I should probably ask a lawyer about this.

britsimon,

that's what I thought - mid Nov was probably a typo :).

February would be awesome!! I have never been out of status, getting my master's degree. The only thing I am a little worried is that I was self-employed (with work permit of course) and was paid based on 1099. I don't know how immigration will treat this but I should probably ask a lawyer about this.

Sm1smom may be able to comment on the self employed work. Was that arranged through the college?

Sm1smom may be able to comment on the self employed work. Was that arranged through the college?

britsimon,

thanks for your attachments in one of the previous messages and especially the spreadsheet; sheds a lot of light.

Regarding the self-employed work: I bought equipment which I leased it to one company. Either me or other workers used this equipment which earned me money. As a result the revenues I made were huge but there were also huge maintenance /licensing expenses. So I basically earned more than an hourly job would pay. This was done based on my general work permit (20 hours/week study time, full-time during vacation).

In addition, I have had part-time CPT (curricular practical training) arranged through my school, but the paychecks I received were issued from their head office (different company name). I objected then but I was told I would be fine. I just wonder if they are going to get too technical about these matters.

britsimon,

thanks for your attachments in one of the previous messages and especially the spreadsheet; sheds a lot of light.

Regarding the self-employed work: I bought equipment which I leased it to one company. Either me or other workers used this equipment which earned me money. As a result the revenues I made were huge but there were also huge maintenance /licensing expenses. So I basically earned more than an hourly job would pay. This was done based on my general work permit (20 hours/week study time, full-time during vacation).

In addition, I have had part-time CPT (curricular practical training) arranged through my school, but the paychecks I received were issued from their head office (different company name). I objected then but I was told I would be fine. I just wonder if they are going to get too technical about these matters.

Hmmm - the work aspect is something that needs to be clarified. Hopefully Sm1smom will chime in here... I don't know that well enough to comment. Failing informed comments then yes I would say it would be wise to talk to a lawyer about the effect of the work on your F1 status.

Hmmm - the work aspect is something that needs to be clarified. Hopefully Sm1smom will chime in here... I don't know that well enough to comment. Failing informed comments then yes I would say it would be wise to talk to a lawyer about the effect of the work on your F1 status.

I've done what I've done after consulting lawyers and relevant people, so I'm sure these are not violations. However, I feel I might be grilled with those questions during the interview and therefore should come prepared possibly with related documentation.

Anyways, Sm1smom's and others' comments would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.