• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
EU case number

Hello, I was selected and my case number is EU25XXX, when do you guys think it will be current considering that 50-55 people were selected in Europe this year?

OCEANIA 28xx

Like others, I have found this forum very helpful. Just completed reading the "18 pages" so far. Most of my general questions [debates on CP vs. AOS, forms + fees, process + procedure, types of visas + 'intent', etc] have already been FULLY answered. But now I turn to some SPECIFIC concerns.

1. Situation: my CN is Oceania 28xx. My wife & I are on F1/F2 respectively. she begins her OPT May/June 2014. I will commence my PhD in Europe September, 2013. a Better option for us would be for me to WAIT for my wife to complete her grad school, during that time we process the AOS, and with the GC in our pockets I go for studies while she works here. But my sponsors want me to go NOW [September, 2013].

2. Doing CP is fine, but if denied, we may never return. in this case, AOS seems to be the better option. Since the CN is high [28xx], my CN may become current around MAY-September, 2014. By then, it will be my Summer break. Thinking of coming here [on my F2] and submitting both DSP-122, I.485, and AP during that time. Pls alert me to some dangers I may not be seeing...

3. What if my CN becomes current earlier than envisaged? The other day, my wife told me to submit DSP-122 NOW and go to Europe in September [on F2], and she can apply AP for me and once approved she'll mail it to be, so that I can use that to come back for interview. Sounds like a good idea, but not sure if it'd work. Pls advice.

4. Since CP is faster, and according to "Aos13", some countries in Europe - it might be EASIER [than Down-under], also contemplating taking the risk of flying my wife over to somewhere in Europe to do CP interview. But one of the concerns might be the fact that our child is receiving assistance from gov't. would this factor?

5. a more general concern. Someone from Oceania with CN in the 2000 was concerned that his/her CN might be high. mine is more than 800 on top of that. last year the total selectees were only 2,200 from Oceania. This year it seems to be nearly 3,000. Is this possible? This is like 30% increase! One question: Does the USCIS/DoS make an attempt to interview EVERY selectee, or do they stop when they run out of visas [in a particular region]?

I will appreciate any suggestions/help you offer.

HI, I have number EU22xxx what do you think should I do AOS or CP ? Any chances to make AOS in time ?

No one can tell you which way to go, you have to way the pros and cons of each process and make the decision yourself.

Hi lucky winners, I am filling the DSP-122 and it seems it doesn't have enough space for the address of schools, how did you guys fit your schools' address in the provided space for the question 6b on the form ? Did you handwrite them ? Thanks :)

The specific address of the school is not required. Just writing out the name of the school, the city, and applicable country will suffice. But providing the full name and address of the schools make you feel better, use an extra sheet of paper for that purpose and attach it to your form.

Like others, I have found this forum very helpful. Just completed reading the "18 pages" so far. Most of my general questions [debates on CP vs. AOS, forms + fees, process + procedure, types of visas + 'intent', etc] have already been FULLY answered. But now I turn to some SPECIFIC concerns.

1. Situation: my CN is Oceania 28xx. My wife & I are on F1/F2 respectively. she begins her OPT May/June 2014. I will commence my PhD in Europe September, 2013. a Better option for us would be for me to WAIT for my wife to complete her grad school, during that time we process the AOS, and with the GC in our pockets I go for studies while she works here. But my sponsors want me to go NOW [September, 2013].

2. Doing CP is fine, but if denied, we may never return. in this case, AOS seems to be the better option. Since the CN is high [28xx], my CN may become current around MAY-September, 2014. By then, it will be my Summer break. Thinking of coming here [on my F2] and submitting both DSP-122, I.485, and AP during that time. Pls alert me to some dangers I may not be seeing...

3. What if my CN becomes current earlier than envisaged? The other day, my wife told me to submit DSP-122 NOW and go to Europe in September [on F2], and she can apply AP for me and once approved she'll mail it to be, so that I can use that to come back for interview. Sounds like a good idea, but not sure if it'd work. Pls advice.

4. Since CP is faster, and according to "Aos13", some countries in Europe - it might be EASIER [than Down-under], also contemplating taking the risk of flying my wife over to somewhere in Europe to do CP interview. But one of the concerns might be the fact that our child is receiving assistance from gov't. would this factor?

5. a more general concern. Someone from Oceania with CN in the 2000 was concerned that his/her CN might be high. mine is more than 800 on top of that. last year the total selectees were only 2,200 from Oceania. This year it seems to be nearly 3,000. Is this possible? This is like 30% increase! One question: Does the USCIS/DoS make an attempt to interview EVERY selectee, or do they stop when they run out of visas [in a particular region]?

I will appreciate any suggestions/help you offer.

Technically, your wife cannot apply for AP on your behalf. You have to be in the US to in order to apply for AP, you'll need to do Biometric in person before your AP is approved, because of the short time frame involved with DV lottery, the AP may not even be approved before your GC interview, or it could arrive at the same time as your GC following a successful interview. AP is often not quite useful DV GC application.

thanks

Technically, your wife cannot apply for AP on your behalf. You have to be in the US to in order to apply for AP, you'll need to do Biometric in person before your AP is approved, because of the short time frame involved with DV lottery, the AP may not even be approved before your GC interview, or it could arrive at the same time as your GC following a successful interview. AP is often not quite useful DV GC application.

Thanks Sm1smom. Do you think, me submitting DSP-122, and I-485 and doing the interview during summer holidays [May-September, 2014] is ok?

Also, trying to rash everything up during that period [May-September] ok?

DV2014 Selectee - Africa (Libya) 8XXX (Eight Thousand)

Hello All,

This is a great site. I am one of the lucky selectees of the DV2014. Indian citizen born in Libya. Chargeability is Libya, AFRICA. My Case no. is low: 2014AFXXXX8XXX (Eight Thousand) so expecting date to get current in Oct-Nov.

I am currently in USA and plan to do AOS. I was one of the links provided by aos13 and saw that Libya had just 138 selectees in 2013 so wondering whether the 8XXX (Eigh Thousand) number is really Low or not.

Let's hope for the best and fingers crossed. Any info would be great.
Thanks guys and all the best.

Do you think, me submitting DSP-122, and I-485 and doing the interview during summer holidays [May-September, 2014] is ok?

Also, trying to rash everything up during that period [May-September] ok?

Personally, I wouldn't until May 2014 to send in my DSP-122 to KCC. While it is true that KCC doesn't have anything to do as such with AOS, it's a good idea to let them know ahead of time of one's intention to pursue the GC application. Having said that, there have been people in the past who didn't get to notify KCC of their intention till possibly June (because they were not aware of their initial selection) and they still managed to successfully complete the AOS process. So, it's really a personal decision and the level of risk you're willing to take.

I guess you're aware AOS applicants do not get to be interviewed within the month that their CN becomes current. The process is a bit longer for AOS, there's therefore the very slight possibility of visas running out (depending on the region/country) before a late AOS CN get's interviewed compared to CP. However, I must say, personally I haven't come acros an AOS applicant/case scheduled for an interview who didn't get the CG due to visa exhaustion.

Hello All,

This is a great site. I am one of the lucky selectees of the DV2014. Indian citizen born in Libya. Chargeability is Libya, AFRICA. My Case no. is low: 2014AFXXXX8XXX (Eight Thousand) so expecting date to get current in Oct-Nov.

I am currently in USA and plan to do AOS. I was one of the links provided by aos13 and saw that Libya had just 138 selectees in 2013 so wondering whether the 8XXX (Eigh Thousand) number is really Low or not.

Let's hope for the best and fingers crossed. Any info would be great.
Thanks guys and all the best.

Congratulations on your selection. Your AF8XXX CN is pretty low, so you should be expecting to get current in Oct-Nov. The low level of your CN is relative to the entire African Region and not just to Libya. The fact that Libya usually has a low number of selectees is a mute factor in your case as Libya is not of the the 3 countries (Egypt, Ethiopia, and Nigerai) usually subjected to different cut-off numbers within the African Region because of the high selection numbers those countries usually experience.

E-mail is fine (print, sign, scan). Actually, I think e-mail is preferable, because it appears they process forms submitted via e-mail faster.

Thank you so much.
Do I need to submit any payment now? Should I wait until KCC send me a notice on further processing?

Is it possible to send DSP-122+ photos and barcode letter via email to KCC? or I should mail the printout?
Thanks

Yes, you can email your documents. I don't understand though, why someone who is in the US would rather do this and not mail in the document.

Actually, I think e-mail is preferable, because it appears they process forms submitted via e-mail faster.

They do? Do you mind sharing more on the source of this?

Yes, you can email your documents. I don't understand though, why someone who is in the US would rather do this and not mail in the document.

It is my question too. If email is faster why it was not emphasized anywhere. Emailing is much easier for anyone inside and outside US?

I got another question, My CN is AS00003XXX. I am last year grad student, Which process will be faster CP or AOS? I do not understand completely if I go for AOS and then I can not go through OPT?
Thank you

In another country-specific forum that I lurk, people report to already have received the confirmation after sending the forms via e-mail. Another person on this forum also reported of receiving the confirmation a few days afterward.

If you think about it, that's not surprising. KCC claims to respond to e-mail inquiries within 24 business hours. So it's quite possible that they process forms submitted via e-mail faster (the forms are readily in the electronic form).

In another country-specific forum that I lurk, people report to already have received the confirmation after sending the forms via e-mail. Another person on this forum also reported of receiving the confirmation a few days afterward.

If you think about it, that's not surprising. KCC claims to respond to e-mail inquiries within 24 business hours. So it's quite possible that they process forms submitted via e-mail faster (the forms are readily in the electronic form).

Are these people doing AOS or CP? If they're doing CP, what they're receiving is not necessarily a confirmation that their documents have been processed. My guess is they're getting generic email response indicating that their email (and yeah, with the documents have been received and are being processed). Those who mail their documents in and follow up with a call/email enquiry will get the same response that the documents have been received and are being processed. Someone doing AOS who email their documents is also likely to receive this generic confirmation initially.

I can certainly understand applicants outside of US emailing documents to KCC, it's a big cost saver, and time saver too, to an extent. It does not necessarily mean email sent documents are all processed ahead or at the expense of mailed documents. These scanned documents still have to be printed out by KCC and inserted in individual files to be sent to the respective home consulates, which represents additional expense they would rather not have to bear.

Only AOS applicants receive the official confirmation email which now provides directives on the next following the receipt of DSP-122 forms. Plus, while KCC may claim to respond to email within 24 hrs, they're also notorious for taking close to a week before they respond to email inquiries. So, I suggest taking the 24 hrs response time with a pinch of salt!

Are these people doing AOS or CP? If they're doing CP, what they're receiving is not necessarily a confirmation that their documents have been processed. My guess is they're getting generic email response indicating that their email (and yeah, with the documents have been received and are being processed). Those who mail their documents in and follow up with a call/email enquiry will get the same response that the documents have been received and are being processed. Someone doing AOS who email their documents is also likely to receive this generic confirmation initially.

I can certainly understand applicants outside of US emailing documents to KCC, it's a big cost saver, and time saver too, to an extent. It does not necessarily mean email sent documents are all processed ahead or at the expense of mailed documents. These scanned documents still have to be printed out by KCC and inserted in individual files to be sent to the respective home consulates, which represents additional expense they would rather not have to bear.

Only AOS applicants receive the official confirmation email which now provides directives on the next following the receipt of DSP-122 forms. Plus, while KCC may claim to respond to email within 24 hrs, they're also notorious for taking close to a week before they respond to email inquiries. So, I suggest taking the 24 hrs response time with a pinch of salt!

Sm1smom,
How come I haven't received anything yet? Should I start getting nervous? lol I check my email several times a day and still nothing....

Well 24 business hours is at least 3 work days lol

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't until May 2014 to send in my DSP-122 to KCC. While it is true that KCC doesn't have anything to do as such with AOS, it's a good idea to let them know ahead of time of one's intention to pursue the GC application. Having said that, there have been people in the past who didn't get to notify KCC of their intention till possibly June (because they were not aware of their initial selection) and they still managed to successfully complete the AOS process. So, it's really a personal decision and the level of risk you're willing to take.

I guess you're aware AOS applicants do not get to be interviewed within the month that their CN becomes current. The process is a bit longer for AOS, there's therefore the very slight possibility of visas running out (depending on the region/country) before a late AOS CN get's interviewed compared to CP. However, I must say, personally I haven't come acros an AOS applicant/case scheduled for an interview who didn't get the CG due to visa exhaustion.

Sm1smom, thanks.

I probably read this in one of those earlier forums but i'd like to ask again.

1. if I submit my Dsp-122 to KCC NOW, would I have problem when I return for holidays [xmas, spring break & summer/may-September] here?
2. I'm just curious whether anyone has actually been sent home from the airport if they were trying to come here for AOS for GC using a "single intent" visa [like F1/2, J1/2, etc]?
3. also, im wondering if anyone has been either denied interview or refused GC visa because the qoutas fro your region has been exhausted. I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Congratulations on your selection. Your AF8XXX CN is pretty low, so you should be expecting to get current in Oct-Nov. The low level of your CN is relative to the entire African Region and not just to Libya. The fact that Libya usually has a low number of selectees is a mute factor in your case as Libya is not of the the 3 countries (Egypt, Ethiopia, and Nigerai) usually subjected to different cut-off numbers within the African Region because of the high selection numbers those countries usually experience.

Thank you.

One more question: In Libya, non nationals born there (I am an Indian citizen born in Libya) do not get Original Birth Certificates from hospital or municipality. We get a Certificate of Birth from the Embassy of India in Tripoli, Libya which I have. It was issued 10 days post my birth. Will this suffice? I am real concerned specially if this does not, then what are my options considering the recent situation in Libya?

Let me know guys.
Thanks.

I agree with the underlined. That's what I would guess too. I still see no advantage for mail over e-mail, even if being present in the US and doing AOS.

The 24 hours is business hours, which makes 3 days. If straddling over a weekend, you are already looking at 5 days or almost a week span. They responded to an e-mail inquiry of mine within 24 business hours. That's the only experience I've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.