• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Dear friends,

I and my wife had our interview yesterday morning. It went very smooth and didn't take more than 10 minutes.

We arrived there around 8:00 AM and could be seated around 8:10 AM. The officer showed up on 8:15 AM and accompanied us to his office. We took an oath at the beginning. Then, he asked for my passport and driver license and asked about my last arrival to US. Then, he took my I-94 card from my passport and he checked the spelling of my first name, last name, address and telephone number from I-485 and went through the 5 or 6 of the YES/NO questions. He asked exactly the same thing to my wife. Then, he input some information into his computer and printed a receipt which he put it on our documents.

After that, he told us that he needs some paperwork from "Department of State" that was not there yet. He told us that paperwork usually arrives at the time of interview, however, in some cases it doesn't. He said that as soon as he gets that packet, he should be able to approve our cases. Then, he said if we have any questions and I asked him how long this process might take and he told me that it shouldn't take more than a month.

In the end, he walked us to the exit door.

My question is that has anyone else experienced this and what paperwork from US Department of State did he mean? I checked our status on USCIS website and there is no change yet.
The other question is that will the officer ask for the paperwork from KCC or State or otherwise, should I call KCC to get an update on this case?

After my interview was completed, my officer told me she would fax KCC to request my file. I believe the file will contain the forms that we sent to KCC in the beginning of the process. I called KCC and the lady told me the files were sent on the 11th(2 days after my interview). My case has not been approved yet, and likewise, no changes have bene made to my USCIS case status yet. I also verified how long it will take for the files to be shipped, and I was told that it can take approximately two weeks. It's been 9 days for me now and every hour that goes by I hope to receive that infamous text from USCIS to notify me that my case status has changed. I have also set up an info pass on the 25th to see if maybe they have received the file but not yet completed my case. Hopefully my case will be approved early next week so that I won't have to go! To answer your last question, yes you can call KCC to verify that your package has been shipped.

Well I first got a 2 texts, then 2 emails (and that is when we had a clue that my daughters case was being rejected). Then a few days later I got the hardcopy acceptance in the mail (x2) and the same day had the reject for my daughter.

Edit:
We have just in the last few days got the NOA for my daughter also - and the bio appointment letter. Planning a walk in on Monday for her bio (mine and my MrsBritsimon are done). Once the bio is done I'll setup an infopass to make sure they connect the dots between the three cases and try and nudge an interview along.

Thank you for you answer Simon. I wish the three of you a smooth process.

The good news is that today I received the letter for my interview! It will be in mid July. I don't know if the fact I contacted the senator's office late last week had anything to do with or it's purely co-incidental. Either way I am relieved to finally have an interview date!

Congratulations!!! It looks like it is the end of the Road for you!
I expect (Hope) to be current next month and I'm doing AOS in NYC. Just in case I will have to contact the senator's office myself if my case get slow I wanted to know how you contacted them. I went onto the website and I saw the form but I'm not sure about what to check and write... Best of luck with your interview! I'm sure everything will be fine soon for you!

Mom,

I need your help. This is in regard to form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization. My AOS package was returned because of issues with this particular form. They haven't specified exactly were the problem is with the form ion the I-797C form. I'm assuming this might have to do with the way I have filled the form.

To the questions #11 , Have you ever applied for employment authorization from USCIS ? I have responded as "Yes"
Question 1: Am I correct. I have been twice on OPT after college and grad school. Is applying for EAD cards the same as applying for employment authorization ?

Which USCIS Office & Dates. - I have listed NY field office and the date as 06/18/2014. Now that I'm reviewing this, I agree that it doesn't make much sense.
Question 2: What should I exactly put here? My 1st EAD card was processed through the California processing center back in 2006 and the 2nd one throufh the Vermont processing center back in 2010.

To the question #16 - Who may file for Form I-765 ? I have responded as (C) (9) ( ) since I'm on H1B at the moment
Question 3: Is this correct ?

To the question #17 - If you entered eligibility category (c)(3)(C) in question 16 above, list your degree , your employer's name as listed in E-Verify and your employer's E Verify Company Identification Number ....
Question 4 : I have clearly indicated another eligibility category in #16 and I have yet entered the degree earned and the E-Verify number under question 17. Should I leave question 17 empty?

Thank you Mom in advance,

Mom,

I need your help. This is in regard to form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization. My AOS package was returned because of issues with this particular form. They haven't specified exactly were the problem is with the form ion the I-797C form. I'm assuming this might have to do with the way I have filled the form.

To the questions #11 , Have you ever applied for employment authorization from USCIS ? I have responded as "Yes"
Question 1: Am I correct. I have been twice on OPT after college and grad school. Is applying for EAD cards the same as applying for employment authorization ?

Which USCIS Office & Dates. - I have listed NY field office and the date as 06/18/2014. Now that I'm reviewing this, I agree that it doesn't make much sense.
Question 2: What should I exactly put here? My 1st EAD card was processed through the California processing center back in 2006 and the 2nd one throufh the Vermont processing center back in 2010.

To the question #16 - Who may file for Form I-765 ? I have responded as (C) (9) ( ) since I'm on H1B at the moment
Question 3: Is this correct ?

To the question #17 - If you entered eligibility category (c)(3)(C) in question 16 above, list your degree , your employer's name as listed in E-Verify and your employer's E Verify Company Identification Number ....
Question 4 : I have clearly indicated another eligibility category in #16 and I have yet entered the degree earned and the E-Verify number under question 17. Should I leave question 17 empty?

Thank you Mom in advance,

Sorry to learn about your package being returned due to problems with your I-765 form. I'm wondering why you felt the need to include that form in the first place though since you're already on H1 visa. Is your current work authorization about to expire? Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. "Yes" is the correct answer in your case. And yes, applying for EAD card is the same as applying for employment authorization.

2. California and Vermont, and the applicable dates just like you listed above.

3. Yes that is the correct code

4. That should be left blank, it's not applicable to the category selected in #16.

I believe #4 in particular is the reason the package was returned.

Sorry to learn about your package being returned due to problems with your I-765 form. I'm wondering why you felt the need to include that form in the first place though since you're already on H1 visa. Is your current work authorization about to expire? Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. "Yes" is the correct answer in your case. And yes, applying for EAD card is the same as applying for employment authorization.

2. California and Vermont, and the applicable dates just like you listed above.

3. Yes that is the correct code

4. That should be left blank, it's not applicable to the category selected in #16.

I believe #4 in particular is the reason the package was returned.

Hi Mom,

thank you for your quick response. I made the amendments you suggested and sending it out today. I thought it wast good to include I-765 form just in case. My H1B is still valid for one more year but thought would have been better to have the actual EAD card instead. If I resubmit the package without that form, will it raise any red flags at this point ?

Thank you again for your support and advice,

Hi Mom,

thank you for your quick response. I made the amendments you suggested and sending it out today. I thought it wast good to include I-765 form just in case. My H1B is still valid for one more year but thought would have been better to have the actual EAD card instead. If I resubmit the package without that form, will it raise any red flags at this point ?

Thank you again for your support and advice,

The EAD card is completely useless in your case, not unless you do something that's likely to make your employer fire you while your adjustment application is pending in which case you'll now use the EAD card, when approved, yo seek some other employment. Because of the time frame involved, EAD approval is really useless for most DV applicants. So if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't include it with my application, and not including it with the resubmission will not raise any flag.

Aria, how is your progress?
You mentioned you scheduled an infopass appointment too. When do you have it? Did you hear anything from the congressman?

Thanks a lot for your attention to my case dear Fiefia, I'm going to wait for an update from Congressman's rep. I'll go for infopass if the congressman's rep couldn't provide me any update. I will keep you guys update as soon as I see any update.

Hello everyone,

I have 2 questions. Any input is highly appreciated.
1. On Tuesday, I have infopass appt. I will be taking a copy of package I sent. Is there anything else I need to take or ask specifically? Can you guys share your experience with info pass?
2. I just gave birth to my son last week. Are there any paper work need to be taken with me to the infopass or to the interview?

Thank you all

What do you choose for an appointment with infopass ? if I just need to ask when is my interview date cause it's been almost 90 days since biometric ? thanks
Services on a case that has already been filed:
1)Order from Immigration Court
2)Case Processing Appointment
3)EAD inquiry appointment
4)Case Services follow-up appointment

The EAD card is completely useless in your case, not unless you do something that's likely to make your employer fire you while your adjustment application is pending in which case you'll now use the EAD card, when approved, yo seek some other employment. Because of the time frame involved, EAD approval is really useless for most DV applicants. So if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't include it with my application, and not including it with the resubmission will not raise any flag.
Thank you Mom,

I decided to send it out again. I wish I didn't but I noticed that with the first submission I included a cover letter listing all the forms and supporting docs included in the package. That list was still stapled by them and part of the folder. Fingers crossed all will be fine this time. As always, thank you , you are irreplaceable !

Last edited:
What do you choose for an appointment with infopass ? if I just need to ask when is my interview date cause it's been almost 90 days since biometric ? thanks
Services on a case that has already been filed:
1)Order from Immigration Court
2)Case Processing Appointment
3)EAD inquiry appointment
4)Case Services follow-up appointment
Temiroff , go with #4

My wife did a successful walk in for my daughter bio today - Oakland ASC is very easy and convenient for walk ins.

So - all bios done - just waiting for the interview... fingers crossed. My plan is to wait a week or two to see if we get the interview date, and then set up an infopass to check all three cases are together (since my daughters paperwork got detached from ours) and at that point we can try and nudge for an interview date.

I am still waiting for my case to be finalized. Like mom once said regarding officers who don't request the file from KCC prior to the interview, my file has probably been pushed down the pile of other cases. I have already set up an infopass for this coming wednesday so hopefully something will happen tomorrow! Like I previously mentioned, KCC shipped my file back on june 11th, so it's almost been 2 weeks.

Sorry to learn about your package being returned due to problems with your I-765 form. I'm wondering why you felt the need to include that form in the first place though since you're already on H1 visa.

Wait... I'm not supposed to file I-765? I didn't know that. I'm on H1-B visa too :)
I thought it was mandatory because the officer at the FO told me to do so! Can we shed a light on this and put a comment the cell C7 on the AOS Package tab?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E&usp=drive_web#gid=1

I am still waiting for my case to be finalized. Like mom once said regarding officers who don't request the file from KCC prior to the interview, my file has probably been pushed down the pile of other cases. I have already set up an infopass for this coming wednesday so hopefully something will happen tomorrow! Like I previously mentioned, KCC shipped my file back on june 11th, so it's almost been 2 weeks.

I just called KCC and was informed that my package was sent to USCIS FO on June 23rd. I had my interview on June 18th. I'm looking forward to seeing any changes on my case status. I will book an infopass in two weeks to see what will happen.

Wait... I'm not supposed to file I-765? I didn't know that. I'm on H1-B visa too :)
I thought it was mandatory because the officer at the FO told me to do so! Can we shed a light on this and put a comment the cell C7 on the AOS Package tab?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xHaFFtdVI4Y01oTFc3ZnZlb1E&usp=drive_web#gid=1

That's inaccurate information on the part of the person you saw at your FO. Anyway, we did indicate on the spreadsheet that the I-765 and I-131 forms are 'Optional' forms. With optional being the operative word, that means they're not mandatory forms, paying a little bit closer attention to it should have revealed that ;)

Hi all,
Sm1smom and britsimon, I need your advise regarding my situation.

I had infopass appointment today to inquire about my case. The immigration officer told me that the file has not been transferred to the field office yet and that is why I have not received my IL. Also, she said once they receive the file, they need 1-3 months to process the case and send the IL. I tried to explain that this is DV case and should be processed by Sep 30th, she said yes it supposed to be handled by that time and the only thing I can do is waiting. She was kind of rude and was getting frustrated so I did not ask more questions. The part I'm getting confused is when I called the 800 number 2 weeks ago and talked to the level two officer, he said that my file has been transferred to field office on May 14h. Also, he said that the field office should be looking for a spot for interview. When I told that to they lady today, she said no it has bot been received yet and it must be on its way.
I do not know who I should believe or what I should do. Should I wait more or get the congress person involved? Any advise or suggestion?

Thank you,

Hi all,
Sm1smom and britsimon, I need your advise regarding my situation.

I had infopass appointment today to inquire about my case. The immigration officer told me that the file has not been transferred to the field office yet and that is why I have not received my IL. Also, she said once they receive the file, they need 1-3 months to process the case and send the IL. I tried to explain that this is DV case and should be processed by Sep 30th, she said yes it supposed to be handled by that time and the only thing I can do is waiting. She was kind of rude and was getting frustrated so I did not ask more questions. The part I'm getting confused is when I called the 800 number 2 weeks ago and talked to the level two officer, he said that my file has been transferred to field office on May 14h. Also, he said that the field office should be looking for a spot for interview. When I told that to they lady today, she said no it has bot been received yet and it must be on its way.
I do not know who I should believe or what I should do. Should I wait more or get the congress person involved? Any advise or suggestion?

Thank you,

I think Moms input would be more valuable than mine about this situation. However, about the IO - it is a shame she got rude and frustrated. We have to tread very carefully in the way we handle them because they are used to working very slowly with people whose normal expectation is to accept the slow process and accept what they are told. Then we (more clued up DV applicants) come along and start telling them about timelines and we know we are to receive special treatment and so on. It could very easily get the IO to feel defensive and become aggressive. They shouldn't behave like that and I am sure you weren't rude yourself, but they are human and perhaps out of their comfort zone....

That's inaccurate information on the part of the person you saw at your FO. Anyway, we did indicate on the spreadsheet that the I-765 and I-131 forms are 'Optional' forms. With optional being the operative word, that means they're not mandatory forms, paying a little bit closer attention to it should have revealed that ;)
I saw the "optional" remark, but I wasn't sure under what conditions it was optional so I filed that. In my opinion that remark is technically correct, but not quite useful.
Overall, there is no damage done though :) There is no additional fee and the form itself wasn't too long. In fact, I'm glad I filled it "just in case"! :)
However, if you are certain that it was unnecessary it would help to clarify under what circumstances it is optional. I'm not saying this for myself but the future applicants (I firmly believe this doc will be useful for the DV-2015 applicants too).
This situation reminds me of a famous management joke :) I can relate myself to the balloonist :) Thanks again for preparing this document!

https://www2.bc.edu/~radinr/Management_Humor/jokes.htm

A man in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and
spotted a woman below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me,
can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I
don't know where I am."

The woman below replied, "You're in a hot air balloon hovering
approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees
north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an engineer," said the balloonist. "I am," replied the woman,
"How did you know?"

"Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is, technically
correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information, and the fact
is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything,
you've delayed my trip."

The woman below responded, "You must be in Management." "I am," replied
the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the woman, "you don't know where you are or where you're
going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air.

You made a promise which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people
beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same
position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault."