• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Sorry, your lawyer doesn't know sh*t ok? (pardon my language!)

FORGET YOUR LAWYER (yeah, I'm screaming, situations like this makes my blood boil) and take control of the process yourself, consider whatever it is you've paid this lawyer 'money down the drain'. If you're not interviewed and approved by Sept 31st 2014, the show is over. And forget the timeline shown on USCIS's website also, or whatever the customer rep tells you on the phone when you call the I-800 number, the listed timeline is not applicable to DV cases.

Contact your congress person directly, stop waiting on some lawyer who knows next to nothing about DV cases. Also do yourself a favor, spend some time reading this particular thread from page 1 and see what people in similar situations have done or what we've discussed regarding their cases. It wouldn't be a bad idea to also read the 2014 AOS thread on the old forum by the way.
i read all of them how many times! it means i will call on monday and send a fax, right?

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, seriously, how do you do keep up?!

As for your timeline question, then yeah, I was referring to the processing times in my FO and only 2014. I just hope that my FO won't slow its pace, as they have been doing a good job sending out IL to people within 2 weeks of their bio.

I guess there is not much for me to do, but wait and hope :)

How do I keep up? Closely guarded secret ;)............ lol.... I guess some members, like yourself, are just fortunate enough that I just happen to be around when they post questions .......... :D

Considering the timeline since it's the 2014 one you're refering to, then fingers crossed your IL should be showing up anytime soon.

i read all of them how many times! it means i will call on monday and send a fax, right?

Then you should have told your lawyer he/she was wrong when they told you there's nothing to worry about and that your FO is still dealing with applications from 2013, that timeline does not apply to DV cases.

So go ahead and call your congressman/woman, and they will tell wether to fax or email your information to them.

How important is it to have a non-expiring passport :D I know it's a silly question to ask, but my passport is expiring in July and my embassy is taking forever to issue me a new one. What will happen if my interview is scheduled to August and my passport expired in July, do you think they will not issue me the GC?

Umm, I'm not really comfortable with the fact that your passport is expiring.

Sm1smom, are you sure this is something one can get away with a driver's license?

Also what do you make of this "KCC file" thing, this was not an issue in our time.

Dear friends, thanks so so much for this and the old forum and everyone's input!!we finally receive our cards today!!! The whole process was so smooth mainly because of the knowledge I got from this forum! Thanks again!

Debel, forget ur lawyer! Information and awesone people in this forum are good enough for u to go through this dv lottery thing! Good luck!!

Nope, calling wouldn't cause any complication or 'get you in trouble'.

On the other hand though, there are a few of those guys that actually get ticked off when callers tell them they're calling about DV cases and DV cases get handled differently - they get ticked off because they don't know the difference and they come back with some sort of "how dare you tell me about the processing. I work here, you don't"
Thank you for the suggestions Sm1smom and Britsimon. You guys are the best :):)
I guess I will wait another week or two. If I do not receive the IL by then, I will go ahead and call USCIS. Also, I will make sure not tick the USCIS guy by giving him the impression that I know his job more than him ;);)

Thanks again

I a
Hello,
I Hope everyone is doing well. Sm1smom, Britsimon or anyone has an experience, please help me answering this question.

I was current in May and I sent the package to Chicago Lockbox on April 7th. I received the bio letter on April 28th with bio appointment on May 9th. However, I did my bio walk in on April 29th. Today, I called KCC to check if my file was sent to my field office (Santa Ana, CA) and the lady told me that the FO has not requested my file yet. Also, she told me to call USCIS and ask them to request my file from KCC. Do I really need to call UCSIS or should I wait? From reading other people posts on this forum, I have not read that anyone called USCIS asking them to do such thing. So, I'm confused. Any answer will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
I am in Santa Ana CA office too. I was thinking is only me there :(. I am waiting for my IL letter too. About 12 days from my Bio. We will see! :)

Then you should have told your lawyer he/she was wrong when they told you there's nothing to worry about and that your FO is still dealing with applications from 2013, that timeline does not apply to DV cases.

So go ahead and call your congressman/woman, and they will tell wether to fax or email your information to them.
thank you so very much sm1smom. i will keep writing and reading...

Sm1smom, are you sure this is something one can get away with a driver's license?

Also what do you make of this "KCC file" thing, this was not an issue in our time.

It's really not a case of getting away with anything IMO. AFAIK, the passport is typically used for 2 things at the time of the interview: as a form of ID and for the purpose of confirming the applicant was legally admitted. So for one, any government issued unexpired ID is acceptable and for two it's a known fact that some people do have their NIV and admission stamp on old/expired passports.

Actually the case file delay issue is not quite new. Some DV 2009 applicants, all the way down to our set, (that's as far back I can remember reading of) gave similar reports. However I will admit the reports weren't as high as I've come across with the DV 2014 set.

I can attribute the higher report for this set to the fact that some are calling KCC way before their interview to find out if their files have been sent or not, previous applicants who experienced such weren't registered in this forum and we didn't get to read of their experience, new IO officers with no DV knowledge being assigned to DV cases, etc.

EAD (employment authorization document)

I would like to know about the timeline for the EAD to get approved? I have a job offer that starts in the beginning of July and my case number will be current also on July.

I already sent the package for the AOS a few weeks ago. I am on F-1 visa right now. Do I need to keep my I-20 for the F-1 visa until the GC gets approved? or I don't need an I-20 current after I send my package for the AOS?

Thank you in advance for your answers

EAD (employment authorization document)

I would like to know about the timeline for the EAD to get approved? I have a job offer that starts in the beginning of July and my case number will be current also on July.

I already sent the package for the AOS a few weeks ago. I am on F-1 visa right now. Do I need to keep my I-20 for the F-1 visa until the GC gets approved? or I don't need an I-20 current after I send my package for the AOS?

Thank you in advance for your answers

EAD approval is usually about 2-3 months from when the application is accepted.

Once your EAD card is approved and you use it to take up employment, be aware that you're no longer in F1 status and if for some reason (God forbid) your AOS application is denied, you will not be able to revert back to your F1 status and you will not be able continue working with the EAD card.

Thank you for your concern, but I'm not really comfortable with an expiring passport either. Given how slow my consulate tends to work, I would be lucky if I get in July or August. Very slow pokes.

I do however agree with SM1 :) I think it should be fine with an expired one.

So finally i have my interview on thursday. does anyone know what kind of questions they ask for F1 students? Is there a possibility for them to reject me after interview?

Would really appreciate the input by SM1 the Machine, Britsimon and everyone else.

How important is it to have a non-expiring passport :D I know it's a silly question to ask, but my passport is expiring in July and my embassy is taking forever to issue me a new one. What will happen if my interview is scheduled to August and my passport expired in July, do you think they will not issue me the GC?

Also, according to Boston timeline, people got their IL within 2 weeks after their official bio appointment date, but mine is taking a little longer. When should I start calling places, within 3rd or 4th week of waiting?

Final question: My case is in the acceptance stage on the website, does it go to Initial Review after the IL is sent out?

TIA

Hi, I am in Boston as well and I am in your exact situation, and our two processes are like a couple of days apart.

Fingers crossed!!

Hi, I am in Boston as well and I am in your exact situation, and our two processes are like a couple of days apart.

Fingers crossed!!

Hey, yes, I was looking at your timeline as well and we have sent the documents couple of days apart. I have sent you a private message. Check your inbox :)

How do I keep up? Closely guarded secret ;)............ lol.... I guess some members, like yourself, are just fortunate enough that I just happen to be around when they post questions .......... :D

Considering the timeline since it's the 2014 one you're refering to, then fingers crossed your IL should be showing up anytime soon.

Haha, yes, we're actually really lucky for having someone like you around. You're like Siri on the iphone :) the SM1! I hope the IL will come thru soon, too. Thank you.

Hi mom,
Got a question;
If someone like sirpercy had already lived lets say 4 years with h1 visas legaly in us and than he won the dv and became LPR,
Will he cumulate those 4 year when he applies for the citizenship?

Dear friends,

I was wondering whether any of you is familiar with the tax documentation (e.g. "copies of tax return transcripts for the past 3 years") required for the AOS package. Although I have been in the US many years, I have not payed any taxes given my employment at an international organization and status as a non-immigrant. What happens if I sent the AOS package without any W-2s etc. like everyone else? Will my package be rejected?

One last question, this one regarding Form I-485 Part 3 where one is asked "I-485 question: "Have you EVER been arrested/cited/charged/indicted/...,for breaking, or violating any law excluding traffic violations".
I was given two citations for fare evasion, one about 11 years ago in NYC, the other two years ago in Hoboken. I pleaded guilty to both despite the silly circumstances and paid the fines. I also was cited with disorderly conduct (a violation, not a "crime" under NYS law) in NYC a few years back but it was dismissed by the judge - which makes me wonder whether there is even a record of it. Do you think this will harm my case? Is there any documentation needed from the courts for the file or I should just write what happened on the separate piece of paper as stated on the instructions.

Sorry about the two completely unrelated questions but I you can help me out.

Many thanks!

Hi mom,
Got a question;
If someone like sirpercy had already lived lets say 4 years with h1 visas legaly in us and than he won the dv and became LPR,
Will he cumulate those 4 year when he applies for the citizenship?

Nope, he wouldn't. The years needed to meet the citizenship requirement only starts from when one becomes a LPR. I wish the process worked like in the scenario you described, I would have become eligible for citizenship the very day I became a LPR :rolleyes: