• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Hello, it's benn a while that I write a post before.

Now I had started worrying again,
because my number became in current in May and my package was accepted on March 15 and had a bio done on 10th of April.
But I'm still waiting for my interview letter.
I have received EAD and advance parole combo card about 10days ago.

Should I just wait for the interview letter or is there anything that I can do or I better do for this situation?
Every time I do my case status check, it just there at "acceptance"
I havent done nothing after I went to BIO, that is Okay, right?

Please give me an advise.

My number is AS5xxx
Thank you in advance.

One more question for Mom,

This may be a little tricky, on my high school certificate as part of my name they also print your father name in the middle, so it will look like " FirstName Father's First Name LastName", and it may seem that the father's name may be a middle name which in fact it is not. In all my ID documents and the rest of the documents , I don't have a middle name and/or my father's name printed.
Do you think there may raise any issues? I cant have this changed because the school will be issuing the same document with the name printed in the same format.

Thoughts on how to avoid any complications ...

Last edited:
1. Yes

2. Yes, your spouse will be able to do AOS however considering the fact that your applicable FY is almost over, you spouse will not be able to benefit using follow to join. Once your FY is over derivative benefit will no longer apply.

You will however have the option of sponsoring your spouse for a GC under the F2A family category. This will involve your first filing an I-130 petition which will need to be approved, and after the approval he will be able to file for adjustment when his applicable priority date becomes current. This whole process takes time and costs a lot more, it could take anywhere between a couple of months to a couple of years before your spouse gets his GC, and you will need to file an I-864 with his I-485 (or find someone with adequate income to provide you with this) - this requirement is not optional.

Thx for your reply, mom

I think I will give it a try to do follow- to- join AOS for my spouse. I dont really understand the process of follow- to join for AOS, so i would like to tell you what I know. If it is wrong, please feel free to correct me.
First, I have to put my spouse's name in #31B. Before my CP interview, my spouse will do the medical exam. In the interview, I will request the consulate my spouse is living in US and I would like to process follow- to- join for him to AOS.
I am not sure once requested, the embassy will obtain the necessary documentation from the applicant or the embassy will notice the USCIS? After the interview, my spouse will send the I485 out. Then the further process will like the normal AOS.

When should my spouse pay the DV fee?

I am so confused, anyone please share your experience if your case is same with me:(

Ok then what do you think about this: I received IL with all what I have to bring with me for the interview and the last on the list is: "whoever applied with you"

LOL - that is strange. This might be my misunderstanding though (and apologies if it is). I have already received separate notices for myself and my wife although to be fair they are biometric notices - so perhaps those are individual whilst other notices are for the main applicant only. Better wait to hear from others.

LOL - that is strange. This might be my misunderstanding though (and apologies if it is). I have already received separate notices for myself and my wife although to be fair they are biometric notices - so perhaps those are individual whilst other notices are for the main applicant only. Better wait to hear from others.
Thank you :)

Hello,

for Tax returns transcripts, did you guys include forms 1040EZ? Just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing...

Hello, it's benn a while that I write a post before.

Now I had started worrying again,
because my number became in current in May and my package was accepted on March 15 and had a bio done on 10th of April.
But I'm still waiting for my interview letter.
I have received EAD and advance parole combo card about 10days ago.

Should I just wait for the interview letter or is there anything that I can do or I better do for this situation?
Every time I do my case status check, it just there at "acceptance"
I havent done nothing after I went to BIO, that is Okay, right?

Please give me an advise.

My number is AS5xxx
Thank you in advance.

Start by calling the USCIS 1-800 and after speaking with the customer rep who will read your case status exactly as you see it (they only get to see the same information you can see when you check it yourself online), politely request to be transfered to a Level 2/Immigration Officer, be prepared for a LONG wait on the phone before being connected. Once the L2 personnel comes online, politely ask for a status update, ask if they're able to see any information regarding the bio which you've already done and request to know when you're likely to get an IL. The L2 officer may equally tell you the normal processing time as seen online (which is not applicable to DV) you can then request the L2 to send out an inquiry to your FO since your case is a DV case and doesn't follow the normal processing time.

If you're unable to make any headway with the call, you can schedule an infopass online. You can also contact your congress person and request for them to do a follow-up with your FO on your behalf.

One more question for Mom,

This may be a little tricky, on my high school certificate as part of my name they also print your father name in the middle, so it will look like " FirstName Father's First Name LastName", and it may seem that the father's name may be a middle name which in fact it is not. In all my ID documents and the rest of the documents , I don't have a middle name and/or my father's name printed.
Do you think there may raise any issues? I cant have this changed because the school will be issuing the same document with the name printed in the same format.

Thoughts on how to avoid any complications ...

Stop stressing over minor details such as this. Go with the diploma 'as is', as long as your name matches what is on the selectee letter, your passport, birth certificate, and any other govenrment ID you plan on using, you should be fine. The middle name can easily be explained just like you did here if an IO notices or raises an issue about it.

Thx for your reply, mom

I think I will give it a try to do follow- to- join AOS for my spouse. I dont really understand the process of follow- to join for AOS, so i would like to tell you what I know. If it is wrong, please feel free to correct me.
First, I have to put my spouse's name in #31B. Before my CP interview, my spouse will do the medical exam. In the interview, I will request the consulate my spouse is living in US and I would like to process follow- to- join for him to AOS.
I am not sure once requested, the embassy will obtain the necessary documentation from the applicant or the embassy will notice the USCIS? After the interview, my spouse will send the I485 out. Then the further process will like the normal AOS.

When should my spouse pay the DV fee?

I am so confused, anyone please share your experience if your case is same with me:(

I'm not sure you correctly read my previous response to you. Your spouse WILL NOT qualify for follow-to-join because of your high CN and timing issue. So if you plan on doing CP without your spouse, I wouldn't recommend your spouse do the medical exam or make the DV payment any time soon.

For starters, follow to join is a process that typically works in a situation where the PA is based in the US and is doing AOS; and the derivatives are unable to do AOS which means they will be doing CP. In such a situation the PA will request USCIS to forward their case file to the applicable embassy following a successful interview on their part. The other situation where follow-to-join works seemlessly is when the PA and derivatives are based in different countries, again the PA requests his/her embassy to forward his/her case file (following a succesful interview of course) to the country where his/her derivatives are based.

In a situation where the PA is doing CP as in yours, the PA returns to the US, aasuming there's no timing factor to contend with following which the derivative now sends in the I-485 package. I'm not quite sure if the PA will need to first file form I-824 and pay the applicable fee of $405, wait for it to be approved by USCIS before proceeding to file the I-485 (and there's the cost of filing the I-485 itself to contend with).

Your best course of action (as far as I can see) if you plan on doing CP alone is to file an I-130, F2A family petition upon your return and I already discussed this process in my previous response to you. Otherwise, take a chance and try to do AOS with your spouse at the same time.

Ok then what do you think about this: I received IL with all what I have to bring with me for the interview and the last on the list is: "whoever applied with you"

:) yeah, a bit unusual, but nothing those FOs do surprises me anymore :rolleyes:. It's normal for a single IL to be sent, but they usually list out all the names on that single letter. I guess who ever sent out your letter was too lazy to include the other names. Don't worry about it though, just show up for your interview with all your derivatives.

:) yeah, a bit unusual, but nothing those FOs do surprises me anymore :rolleyes:. It's normal for a single IL to be sent, but they usually list out all the names on that single letter. I guess who ever sent out your letter was too lazy to include the other names. Don't worry about it though, just show up for your interview with all your derivatives.
Thank you:)

Your IO obviously is new to DV cases, judging by your narration. Which means whatever decision she makes may need to be reviewed by a supervisor. You certainly do not need an I-864 and I will be very much surprised if an RFE gets issued for that. Just hang in there, I think you will eventually be approved.
Yah I hope so.....How long do you think they gonna take to send a decision in mail? And also the online status check is still in acceptance ...not even in a "initial review". Do you think I need to take further action like info pass or calling 1-800 ? I am really worried coz my country's quota is about to finish at the end of this month.

Yah I hope so.....How long do you think they gonna take to send a decision in mail? And also the online status check is still in acceptance ...not even in a "initial review". Do you think I need to take further action like info pass or calling 1-800 ? I am really worried coz my country's quota is about to finish at the end of this month.

It's hard to say how long it may take before a decision is made. By all means, you can try calling, I doubt if it will make any difference for now though. Regarding the online status, I've said it over and over again, it will remain at initial review, it's not going to get updated until a decision is made.

Hi,
How do you get information about the country's quota? I appreciate it if you explain so I can check.

This site looks better than before. :) I don't know why it didn't allow me to sign in with my old username&password though:confused::confused: So, I will start from begining. My CN is AS92** from Nepal. I was going for AOS process until last month. I sent my updated forms to KCC couple of weeks ago to change my AOS to CP. Earlier this morning, when I asked KCC if my AOS switch to CP was done, they replied that my forms were sent & received by US embassy in Nepal, but it still has a pending status. I hope it gets approved in a couple of weeks. So, I have some question regarding this process:
Will I receive a 2NL? If so, when will I receive it based on the condition that my number will be shown to be current in August?
I know there is a huge possibility but just to confirm, do you guyz think that my interview might get pushed for sepetember?

Note: Sorry to everyone for posting CP material in this AOS thread...I just want to make sure when to buy tickets for Nepal..Thanks

Sm1smon
Start by calling the USCIS 1-800 and after speaking with the customer rep who will read your case status exactly as you see it (they only get to see the same information you can see when you check it yourself online), politely request to be transfered to a Level 2/Immigration Officer, be prepared for a LONG wait on the phone before being connected. Once the L2 personnel comes online, politely ask for a status update, ask if they're able to see any information regarding the bio which you've already done and request to know when you're likely to get an IL. The L2 officer may equally tell you the normal processing time as seen online (which is not applicable to DV) you can then request the L2 to send out an inquiry to your FO since your case is a DV case and doesn't follow the normal processing time.

If you're unable to make any headway with the call, you can schedule an infopass online. You can also contact your congress person and request for them to do a follow-up with your FO on your behalf.

Thank you so much for your advise!
I will try to call. but Could you tell me what FO stands for?
Is it Foreign Office?
Could you tell me more what can I ask FO What can I ask FO?
Sorry Im asking a lot to you, thank you for your help!

My wife and I have appointments on the same day but at different times. You can try a walk in if you like or even just accompany your wife for the June 19 appointment. As you both have appointment letters, it will make sense that you want to do it together.
Thank you Britsimon for the reply