• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Just checked VB for sept , didn't change . No chance for this year , my number was AF 84*** , I was so happy in last October , and after waiting almost a year , everything was negative .
So congratulations to all DV 2014 who win
Good luck to DV 2015 , I wish all of you pass

I feel sorry for you and the many thousands more that missed out. Keep trying - maybe you'll get another win with a really low number.

Just checked VB for sept , didn't change . No chance for this year , my number was AF 84*** , I was so happy in last October , and after waiting almost a year , everything was negative .
So congratulations to all DV 2014 who win
Good luck to DV 2015 , I wish all of you pass

I truly wish things had turned out better for you and your family, so sad it didn't. But don't give up, keep trying and all the best as you move on!

Hello again :)

I have a quick question. Do we need to ask for a new SS card?I assume our SSN will be updated automatically. If we need to apply for a new card, do you know how long does it take for them to send us a new one?

The HR of the company we applied for job there, has asked us to bring them our SS cards, so I do not know if we are fine with the old ones or not?

I have a quick question. Do we need to ask for a new SS card?I assume our SSN will be updated automatically. If we need to apply for a new card, do you know how long does it take for them to send us a new one?

The HR of the company we applied for job there, has asked us to bring them our SS cards, so I do not know if we are fine with the old ones or not?

I would go to the SSA office and get new ones ordered - however, for the immediate job opportunity you can't wait for that - so take the SSN cards, and also take the proof of LPR status.

Your new LPR status will not automatically get updated with the SSA, you will need to visit their office and apply for a replacement card if you wish to have one that does not have DHS restriction stated on it. Other than that, your SSN remains the same, it will not change and you can give them same number to your new employer. You can also show the old card, if they insist on seeing the card itself, while waiting for the new one which could be anywhere between 2 weeks to a couple of months, depending on when they're able to verify your new status with USCIS.

Your new LPR status will not automatically get updated with the SSA, you will need to visit their office and apply for a replacement card if you wish to have one that does not have DHS restriction stated on it. Other than that, your SSN remains the same, it will not change and you can give them same number to your new employer. You can also show the old card, if they insist on seeing the card itself, while waiting for the new one which could be anywhere between 2 weeks to a couple of months, depending on when they're able to verify your new status with USCIS.
Thanks for the quick response mom. I just did not understand what do you mean by "You wish to ...". Honestly, I do not wish to have a new one :) but the question is in terms of employment, do I have to?

Thanks for the quick response mom. I just did not understand what do you mean by "You wish to ...". Honestly, I do not wish to have a new one :) but the question is in terms of employment, do I have to?

No, in terms of employment you do not need to get a replacement card. However it is a good idea to do so as that is the only way of making sure the SSA people have an updated information about your status.

Hello Everybody,

Finally got relief after 1.5 years of research and working. I got my Greencard approved.....:)

It would never be possible without this group. This forum is really awesome.

Thanks all of you, and the admin for providing valuable information to all of us.

Its time to go Green now.....:D

Case Number: 2014AS00075XX

Hello Everybody,

Finally got relief after 1.5 years of research and working. I got my Greencard approved.....:)

Thanks all of you, and the admin for providing valuable information to all of us.

Haha - congratulations!

Hello Everybody,

Congratulations! :)

Hello dear friends,

finally I squeezed out some time to write about my case while traveling. I am writing, first, to thank those who helped me, and second, to share my very limited DV experience doing AOS while being an F1 student.

This was my timeline:

Started out as an F1 student.
May 2013: found out I was selected.
January 2014: got married to a girl on a visitor visa, even though I was warned this could have negative impact on my case. I had just found my soulmate and DV was a good chance to adjust her status. My wife did not know I was a DV selectee until May 2014.
April 2014: I adjusted my wife's status to F2 from visitor. I hurried to do this because this was good evidence that we were and are a real couple.
May 2014: only at this point I started the DV process and sent the AOS package, paid DV fee etc.
June 2014: biometrics appointment
July 2014: INTERVIEW. Like I posted earlier, our interview went extremely smooth but the IO told us to wait couple more weeks, because guess what, our DV packet from KCC was missing. This wasn't true however, because I called KCC immediately after the interview to confirm it had been sent 40 days before and went straight back in to my IO and told her about this. She insisted on couple more weeks. Now I think, just like @Britsimon once pointed out, IOs with limited DV experience delay the case saying that "your cased needs further review or your packet is missing etc." They win some time doing so and do their homework (if they do) before they mess up the case and get fired, I believe.
August 2014: about two weeks after the interview, we received our welcome letters (twice?) and green cards. However, we are traveling right now and have not seen those papers for real and our relative is keeping them for now :). On our way home!

My advice to F1 students: do not mention your economic hardship job, CPT, tax transcripts during the interview unless the IO specifically asks about them and insists on showing evidence. Even though you were allowed to work (if you were like me), some IOs can mess up your case if they misunderstand and think you had worked illegally. In addition, if you or your spouse is not absolutely fluent in English, hire an interpreter for the interview (I did) because I could not help my wife in answering the questions, and she could not even remember her exact address :( - which was not a problem.

I have been following this thread for several months and am very thankful to everyone for posting useful things.

And I am especially thankful for:

@Sm1smom: your timely comments and replies were of tremendous help!!! I just looove you :).
@Britsimon: your tough analysis and smart approach and sense of humor always inspired me. I sincerely wish you and your family good luck in September interview and strongly believe that we will celebrate the approval of your case within maximum of a month from now!
@Leah Leah: thanks for you comments.

In addition, @Britsimon, @wreck_it_ralph, @andyaos, @Hatice, @kukilaska and others, I really hope you guys adjust your statuses ASAP and receive your green cards. You are in my prayers.

I wish I could invite you guys over to my place to celebrate our and your success!!!

Wow, you have adjusted your wife's status from B2 to F2 and now to LPR - that absolutely takes balls man. You were risking to miss out on the status yourself, potentially jeopardizing your future in the US altogether. You surely have nerves of steel, too. Good job, man and glad it worked out for you :)

Mom ,

I reached out to USCIS and talked to their usual/ (1st Level) officer and asked to make an Expedite Request. She was able to put that through but I thought to check with you whether this is something they do. I always thought a Level 2 officer would do this...

Mom ,

I reached out to USCIS and talked to their usual/ (1st Level) officer and asked to make an Expedite Request. She was able to put that through but I thought to check with you whether this is something they do. I always thought a Level 2 officer would do this...

1st level will submit the request, but the FO have to respond...

I called KCC Today. They said They just updated the information but USCIS didn't request our file yet. Lady told me to call USCIS customer service and told Them to request the file. I called USCIS customer service where other lady said thay the only way she can help me is give me wrbsite www.travel.state.gov and I should find a contact info there and contact them. I am sure She dis not know what I am talking about! Grrr ;((( what should I do right now? Just wait seems like a not a good option :(

Call again and hopefully you'll get to talk to someone more knowledgeable.

Meanwhile, you should also schedule an infopass or try a walk in at your FO to let them know your case file is yet to be requested from KCC.

Gooosh who is on this lines ;( I called fourth time finally some nice lady had different answer and She admit that She does not know how to help You and transfered me to the officer. After 35 min. waiting time I spoke with officer, explain her everything and that I would like them to do request for USCIS Santa Ana FO to request our file from KCC. She sounds like She does not know about a time frame. She said I will put You on hold because I need to check something, then He hang up... grrrrrr! So I called again, explain again, ask to transfer to the officer and my waiting time is 110 min.... so now I am waiting. Is there anything else I should tell this officer? Thanks!

Gooosh who is on this lines ;( I called fourth time finally some nice lady had different answer and She admit that She does not know how to help You and transfered me to the officer. After 35 min. waiting time I spoke with officer, explain her everything and that I would like them to do request for USCIS Santa Ana FO to request our file from KCC. She sounds like She does not know about a time frame. She said I will put You on hold because I need to check something, then He hang up... grrrrrr! So I called again, explain again, ask to transfer to the officer and my waiting time is 110 min.... so now I am waiting. Is there anything else I should tell this officer? Thanks!

Really that is something that is done by the FO and given that they were aware of the mistake only on Monday it is understandable that KCC don't have the request yet. I would personally wait a couple of days.

Really that is something that is done by the FO and given that they were aware of the mistake only on Monday it is understandable that KCC don't have the request yet. I would personally wait a couple of days.
Oh ok :( how long should I wait? I will call KCC Friday again.