• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

It sounds like they just don't know what they are doing. I think your Infopass could move it along. Book another infopass now for a couple of weeks and if it gets to that point we can discuss how to talk this through with the FO.
Hi Simon
Just quick question.At the day of interview if your interview is good and the visas are not exhausted that day are you ok to get your green card or is it about the day they decide to produce your green card?More clearly lets say you will have your interview on September 2nd and it goes well but the september 4 they announce that the visas are all exhausted, are you still safe?

Hi Simon
Just quick question.At the day of interview if your interview is good and the visas are not exhausted that day are you ok to get your green card or is it about the day they decide to produce your green card?More clearly lets say you will have your interview on September 2nd and it goes well but the september 4 they announce that the visas are all exhausted, are you still safe?

The policy memo describes the process. Assuming you have completed all the other steps the final step is the interview. Some interviews have finished with a selectee being told they are LPR, and others have been told there will be some further processing done and that it could take a week or two. I'm inclined to believe that the latter scenario happens when the IO is not aware of how to process the DV case. Sometimes these cases that have been told to wait a week or two suddenly switch status to approved within 24 hours of the interview. I think that is where a supervisor finishes it off.

What should happen at the end of the interview is the IO should check to confirm the visa is available and effectively "grab" that visa slot. That is done through IVAMS-Web (http://2001-2009.state.gov/documents/organization/109134.pdf). I am pretty sure my SF IO is not going to do that properly so I plan to innocently encourage them to check that system on the 2nd - because until they do that - I am at risk of losing the slot.

The policy memo describes the process. Assuming you have completed all the other steps the final step is the interview. Some interviews have finished with a selectee being told they are LPR, and others have been told there will be some further processing done and that it could take a week or two. I'm inclined to believe that the latter scenario happens when the IO is not aware of how to process the DV case. Sometimes these cases that have been told to wait a week or two suddenly switch status to approved within 24 hours of the interview. I think that is where a supervisor finishes it off.

What should happen at the end of the interview is the IO should check to confirm the visa is available and effectively "grab" that visa slot. That is done through IVAMS-Web (http://2001-2009.state.gov/documents/organization/109134.pdf). I am pretty sure my SF IO is not going to do that properly so I plan to innocently encourage them to check that system on the 2nd - because until they do that - I am at risk of losing the slot.

Simon:
How will you say?? I am so worry about that too.
Can I remind them politely?

Thank you Britsiman. I have an infopass on Wednesday. We will see. As I talked to the interviewer, he seemed know what he was doing and aware of DV case. Just told me to wait on the background check. I had boimetrics done in late May and I have no criminal records. What kind of background check can delay the decision? So weird to me.

Hello dear friends,

finally I squeezed out some time to write about my case while traveling. I am writing, first, to thank those who helped me, and second, to share my very limited DV experience doing AOS while being an F1 student.

This was my timeline:

Started out as an F1 student.
May 2013: found out I was selected.
January 2014: got married to a girl on a visitor visa, even though I was warned this could have negative impact on my case. I had just found my soulmate and DV was a good chance to adjust her status. My wife did not know I was a DV selectee until May 2014.
April 2014: I adjusted my wife's status to F2 from visitor. I hurried to do this because this was good evidence that we were and are a real couple.
May 2014: only at this point I started the DV process and sent the AOS package, paid DV fee etc.
June 2014: biometrics appointment
July 2014: INTERVIEW. Like I posted earlier, our interview went extremely smooth but the IO told us to wait couple more weeks, because guess what, our DV packet from KCC was missing. This wasn't true however, because I called KCC immediately after the interview to confirm it had been sent 40 days before and went straight back in to my IO and told her about this. She insisted on couple more weeks. Now I think, just like @Britsimon once pointed out, IOs with limited DV experience delay the case saying that "your cased needs further review or your packet is missing etc." They win some time doing so and do their homework (if they do) before they mess up the case and get fired, I believe.
August 2014: about two weeks after the interview, we received our welcome letters (twice?) and green cards. However, we are traveling right now and have not seen those papers for real and our relative is keeping them for now :). On our way home!

My advice to F1 students: do not mention your economic hardship job, CPT, tax transcripts during the interview unless the IO specifically asks about them and insists on showing evidence. Even though you were allowed to work (if you were like me), some IOs can mess up your case if they misunderstand and think you had worked illegally. In addition, if you or your spouse is not absolutely fluent in English, hire an interpreter for the interview (I did) because I could not help my wife in answering the questions, and she could not even remember her exact address :( - which was not a problem.

I have been following this thread for several months and am very thankful to everyone for posting useful things.

And I am especially thankful for:

@Sm1smom: your timely comments and replies were of tremendous help!!! I just looove you :).
@Britsimon: your tough analysis and smart approach and sense of humor always inspired me. I sincerely wish you and your family good luck in September interview and strongly believe that we will celebrate the approval of your case within maximum of a month from now!
@Leah Leah: thanks for you comments.

In addition, @Britsimon, @wreck_it_ralph, @andyaos, @Hatice, @kukilaska and others, I really hope you guys adjust your statuses ASAP and receive your green cards. You are in my prayers.

I wish I could invite you guys over to my place to celebrate our and your success!!!

Hello dear friends,

finally I squeezed out some time to write about my case while traveling. I am writing, first, to thank those who helped me, and second, to share my very limited DV experience doing AOS while being an F1 student.

This was my timeline:

January 2014: got married to a girl on a visitor visa, even though I was warned this could have negative impact on my case. I had just found my soulmate and DV was a good chance to adjust her status. My wife did not know I was a DV selectee until May 2014.
April 2014: I adjusted my wife's status to F2 from visitor. I hurried to do this because this was good evidence that we were and are a real couple.
May 2014: only at this point I started the DV process and sent the AOS package, paid DV fee etc.
July 2014: INTERVIEW. Like I posted earlier, our interview went extremely smooth but the IO told us to wait couple more weeks, because guess what, our DV packet from KCC was missing. This wasn't true however, because I called KCC immediately after the interview to confirm it had been sent 40 days before and went straight back in to my IO and told her about this. She insisted on couple more weeks. Now I think, just like @Britsimon once pointed out, IOs with limited DV experience delay the case saying that "your cased needs further review or your packet is missing etc." They win some time doing so and do their homework (if they do) before they mess up the case and get fired, I believe.
August 2014: about two weeks after the interview, we received our welcome letters (twice?) and green cards. However, we are traveling right now and have not seen those papers for real and our relative is keeping them for now :). On our way home!

My advice to F1 students: do not mention your economic hardship job, CPT, tax transcripts during the interview unless the IO specifically asks about them and insists on showing evidence. Even though you were allowed to work (if you were like me), some IOs can mess up your case if they misunderstand and think you had worked illegally. In addition, if you or your spouse is not absolutely fluent in English, hire an interpreter for the interview (I did) because I could not help my wife in answering the questions, and she could not even remember her exact address :( - which was not a problem.

I have been following this thread for several months and am very thankful to everyone for posting useful things.

@Sm1smom: your timely comments and replies were of tremendous help!!! I just looove you :).
@Britsimon: your tough analysis and smart approach and sense of humor always inspired me. I sincerely wish you and your family good luck in September interview and strongly believe that we will celebrate the approval of your case within maximum of a month from now!

In addition, @Britsimon, @wreck_it_ralph, @andyaos, @Hatice, @kukilaska and others, I really hope you guys adjust your statuses ASAP and receive your green cards. You are in my prayers.

I wish I could invite you guys over to my place to celebrate our and your success!!!

Awesome narration there, and thank you very much for the kind words. That means a lot.

Last edited:
Hello dear friends,

This was my timeline:

Congrats, very happy for you :) and thank you for keeping us in your prayers.

@alpha_wolf,

Double congratulations are in order, I guess! Congratulations on your marriage and on becoming green. Truly happy for you and your wife, and thank you for narrating your experience. I'm sure someone else will equally benefit from it. Also a big thanks for the kind mention.

Have a safe trip!

@alpha_wolf,

Double congratulations are in order, I guess! Congratulations on your marriage and on becoming green. Truly happy for you and your wife, and thank you for narrating your experience. I'm sure someone else will equally benefit from it. Also a big thanks for the kind mention.

Have a safe trip!

Thank you so much!

Hello! Little update on our case. So we went back Today at 7am, people on security check was very nice, remembered us from Friday and let us in without appoitment again. Lady on the window She did not really want believe me that is mistake on the page. But and told Her to call our officer on the phone, She called there and guess what? She did not even say our name and He already told Her is She is calling about our case because there is a mistake hehe :p so He knew already! She printed again with checked first correct sentance on the page :) and also wr left our lease agreement for Her to give ti out officer because He was asking us about it. So for now we are waiting.

Hello! Little update on our case. So we went back Today at 7am, people on security check was very nice, remembered us from Friday and let us in without appoitment again. Lady on the window She did not really want believe me that is mistake on the page. But and told Her to call our officer on the phone, She called there and guess what? She did not even say our name and He already told Her is She is calling about our case because there is a mistake hehe :p so He knew already! She printed again with checked first correct sentance on the page :) and also wr left our lease agreement for Her to give ti out officer because He was asking us about it. So for now we are waiting.

Great - so you have a very short time to wait....

Hi,
Good. Happy for you.
Mine turned to card production this morning :) hopefully yours will turn soon.

Last edited:
Hi,
Good. Happy for you.
Mine turned to card production this morning :) hopefully yours will turned soon.
Wow so awesome! How fast! Week after!!! :) I hope mine will end same positive way soon too! Please keep Your fingers crossed for ussss

Just checked VB for sept , didn't change . No chance for this year , my number was AF 84*** , I was so happy in last October , and after waiting almost a year , everything was negative .
So congratulations to all DV 2014 who win
Good luck to DV 2015 , I wish all of you pass

Just checked VB for sept , didn't change . No chance for this year , my number was AF 84*** , I was so happy in last October , and after waiting almost a year , everything was negative .
So congratulations to all DV 2014 who win
Good luck to DV 2015 , I wish all of you pass

:( will you enter DV16?