• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

Did anyone send I-485 on June and get a respond?
I have sent the I-485 and it was received on June 19, however, until now I did not receive any text messages or email. And the check is not cashed yet.
My attorney sent my package June 13th, check was cashed and I got receipt notices fairly quickly. Got a biometrics appointment letter last Friday, did a successful walk-in today. I'm in Alaska though, attorney says they process cases fairly quickly here.

Did anyone send I-485 on June and get a respond?
I have sent the I-485 and it was received on June 19, however, until now I did not receive any text messages or email. And the check is not cashed yet.

That is about normal. If you check the progress spreadsheet you will see that mine (submitted in May) took almost 3 weeks.

just last few days for the interview an i have some questions.
1.)i want to know positive and negative aspects of going to interview with a lawyer.
2.)what do they ask to a married couple? what are the different questions?(do we have to prove our relationship?)

1.)i want to know positive and negative aspects of going to interview with a lawyer.
2.)what do they ask to a married couple? what are the different questions?(do we have to prove our relationship?)

1. You probably won't be able to take the lawyer in with you. THere is almost certainly no advantage of having a lawyer there. The DV interview is a very simple process.
2. Very few questions - if you were married before you entered the lottery then very minimal questions (basically none) about the marriage. If you married after the lottery entry or selection, you can expect more questioning - and yes they will look for evidence of the marriage being genuine.

1. You probably won't be able to take the lawyer in with you. THere is almost certainly no advantage of having a lawyer there. The DV interview is a very simple process.
2. Very few questions - if you were married before you entered the lottery then very minimal questions (basically none) about the marriage. If you married after the lottery entry or selection, you can expect more questioning - and yes they will look for evidence of the marriage being genuine.

Actually, the OP can and will be allowed in with a lawyer. But I believe it's a complete waste of time and money for a DV case (especially if the lawyer hasn't be involved with preparing the case and the plan is to hire one to attend the interview)

Go through both previous and current DV AOS timelines - there's a section on them with links to other people's interview experiences (you can find the links to the timelines on the AOS spreadsheet).

In addition, if you look at the "Interview Tips" tab on the AOS spreadsheet, theres a link to some marriage based AOS interviews (non DV based, but equally useful) which I just added not too long ago.

Do these and you should be covered for your interview.

My attorney sent my package June 13th, check was cashed and I got receipt notices fairly quickly. Got a biometrics appointment letter last Friday, did a successful walk-in today. I'm in Alaska though, attorney says they process cases fairly quickly here.

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on coming this fare. I'm glad your attorney pointed out the reason for the quick turn-over (nothing to do with the attorney filing the case ;))

Hi there guys. How to fill Part 2. Application Type of the i485 form please? Which option to check for the DV selectee and the spouse please. Thanks

Hi Monh,

I' m in the same boat. I sent my AOS package initially on June 12 and it was returned to me 7 days after for a mistake I made with when filling the info. I corrected the data and the sent the AOS package again on June 23rd and as of now, no returned package, no notification and no check cashed.

Let's hope we get to hear something soon.
Means guys urbanit and monh you will be courant in August ??? If it so don,t worry you will receive info the coming days you still have time to finish AOS . Good luck

I'm in your same situation.
I'm currently on f1 visa and was hoping to get a green card before ertolling for next semester in order to pay less in tuition since I will not be considered an international student anymore.
I've been waiting for 2 months today since my biometrics.
I have already done an info pass 2 weeks ago. It seems that they have my file but the officer in charge hasnt opened it yet.
I explained my situation and the officer at the booth told me that he would have left a note to the officer in charge of my file.
So far no news. :(

wowwwwww this is really scary, i hav infopass on the 9th. I'll see what they say

Go through both previous and current DV AOS timelines - there's a section on them with links to other people's interview experiences (you can find the links to the timelines on the AOS spreadsheet).

In addition, if you look at the "Interview Tips" tab on the AOS spreadsheet, theres a link to some marriage based AOS interviews (non DV based, but equally useful) which I just added not too long ago.

Do these and you should be covered for your interview.
to prove our marrige, i have an idea but i'm not sure it's a bad or good idea. the story is: i was crying one day and the neighbors heard me then they called the police. polices came to our apartment and they took a statement down which is "she was just crying and nothing is happening here..." they wrote my husbands and my name and we put our signature on the report. we have a copy of that report now do you think that's a good idea to show that report?

to prove our marrige, i have an idea but i'm not sure it's a bad or good idea. the story is: i was crying one day and the neighbors heard me then they called the police. polices came to our apartment and they took a statement down which is "she was just crying and nothing is happening here..." they wrote my husbands and my name and we put our signature on the report. we have a copy of that report now do you think that's a good idea to show that report?

I would bet you can find better evidence than that!

Almost sounds like a domestic violence scenario. I wouldn't mention it.

No, I don't think that's enough evidence for prove of genuine marriage. To start with, did you guys get married after the DV selection? If yes, do you have a marriage certificate? Do you have photos of your wedding, and photos from prior to that? Do you have assets/properties jointly owned? Are you both listed on your lease/mortgage, utility bills? Of course the IO can equally ask both of you questions about each other, when you met, when you got married, what you do for a living etc.

No, I don't think that's enough evidence for prove of genuine marriage. To start with, did you guys get married after the DV selection? If yes, do you have a marriage certificate? Do you have photos of your wedding, and photos from prior to that? Do you have assets/properties jointly owned? Are you both listed on your lease/mortgage, utility bills? Of course the IO can equally ask both of you questions about each other, when you met, when you got married, what you do for a living etc.
One of my friend also included email and chat logs as evidence. I know it's too personal, but proof is proof.

One of my friend also included email and chat logs as evidence. I know it's too personal, but proof is proof.

Marriage is pretty personal - so if asked to prove your marriage is real - yep - they want to see evidence that it is personal (and that is much better than police reports of a suspected domestic violence situation). :confused:

For a marriage based GC application I agree it makes sense to include the the personal correspondence as part of the evidence in support of the application. However, for a DV based GC application, my suggestion would be to have those handy at the time of the interview and present them when asked for further proof. This would also apply to most of the items I listed in my earlier response (post #495) as a matter of fact.

For a marriage based GC application I agree it makes sense to include the the personal correspondence as part of the evidence in support of the application. However, for a DV based GC application, my suggestion would be to have those handy at the time of the interview and present them when asked for further proof. This would also apply to most of the items I listed in my earlier response (post #495) as a matter of fact.

Agreed. Along with don't talk or say anything unless asked - right.

I'm gonna find that one hard....