• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Be very careful purchasing used cars from classified ads, the owners are not likely to disclose to you the issues/problems they're experiencing with the car, and if they do, they're likely to sugar-coat it for you.

Even pictures were there. I think the best deals are the ones in the classifieds, car being sold by their owners. I saw some good deals and no i don't mind a toyota.

At the same time, don't fall into the trap of trying to 'live like the Joneses'. Live within your means. Buying a brand new vehicle is as good as throwing money away. New cars can depreciate by as much as 5-10% within a few days of driving off from the dealer's lot.

Visit the car dealers in the region where you live for used cars, you will get good deals and the car history. Plus car dealers most often warranty the vehicles they sell, something you will not get in a FSBO from vehicles.

2. I work for an International NGO headquartered in the USA (I got the job in July this year, about a month after I sent the forms). We normally have Annual Leadership Summit in The Headquarters for all the leaders in the field in mid may for one week. Now I already have the invitation for this summit next year. I am supposed to apply for a non-immigrant visa, yet am already on the DV Visa. I have never been to USA and I indicated that in form DS 230. How do I go about this? Do I say I am in process for the DV Visa when I will be applying for Non-immigrant visa? When I will go for the interview for the DV visa next year most likely July (see my case number), and I originally indicated I had never visited USA (which was true), but the CO sees a US Visa on my passport. The whole thing is confusing me how to go about it. Please Help guys.

Thank you.

The possibility of successfully applying and being granted a non-immigrant visa are pretty slim for you. One of the questions any non-immigrant applicant is required to answer in order to be granted the visa is 'demonstration of intent to immigrate'. By sending in your forms to KCC indicating an intention to pursue the DV Visa, you are no longer a good candidate for a non-immigrant visa. If you answer 'No' to that question, you will jeopardize the DV visa itself because you will be considered to have lied.

On the other hand, since the trip is business related, what is the possibility your organization applying for this visa on your behalf? This may convince the CO to give you the benefit of the doubt and grant the non-immigrant visa, even while your DV application is already in the system.

The question you have to answer to yourself is which is more important to you. The job you currently have and the opportunity to make a brief visit to the US or the endless possibility the success of the DV visa (GC) represents - the doors the GC are likely to open for you. Do you really have to attend the Annual Leadership summit? The choices are yours and yours alone.

Good luck.

Be very careful purchasing used cars from classified ads, the owners are not likely to disclose to you the issues/problems they're experiencing with the car, and if they do, they're likely to sugar-coat it for you.

At the same time, don't fall into the trap of trying to 'live like the Joneses'. Live within your means. Buying a brand new vehicle is as good as throwing money away. New cars can depreciate by as much as 5-10% within a few days of driving off from the dealer's lot.

Visit the car dealers in the region where you live for used cars, you will get good deals and the car history. Plus car dealers most often warranty the vehicles they sell, something you will not get in a FSBO from vehicles.

Sm1smom keep the Tips coming and thanks for your info. Tell us more about that land we are yet to come and join you very very soon especially school for young ones

Last edited by a moderator:
Sm1smom keep the Tips coming and thanks for your info. Tell us more about that land we are yet to come and join you very very soon especially school for young ones

please settle fast in wyoming so that yu can take me to visit yellow stone national park...

please settle fast in wyoming so that yu can take me to visit yellow stone national park...

;) ANXIETY ;) CURIOSITY;) SNOOPING AROUND and HAVING THAT INTEREST you know! Cant wait for that time Papasan, Can't wait. Sometimes i go against the Lords word that says "Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him..........." Oh yes, I Will invite you to come and watch the Geysers erupt lol;)

Nesh & Jarmsbi,did u guys meet? both of u were slated on the same day!!!
i never met Jarmsbi but trust me he has exaggerated the whole thing it was not that painful imagin they take half of normal syringe blood and again the worst thing you can talk about is the pain but not so much as potrayed

SUCCESSFUL MEDICALS AT IOM NAIROBI ON 23RD AND 24TH OCT
Sorry guys for taking so long to post the experience guys,nothing extra ordinary out of what WANKIN MASTER WROTE,but dont be alarmed guys just know that you have to pray much that you dont have TB because its the worst thing that can happen to you.The treatment takes 6 moths and you have to take another one year to apply for your visa.together with my wife we paid a total of Ksh 38,000 and got 3 injections each,mildly painful and that was it.now waiting or the interview next Thursday.

US is a land of opportunities like people have always said. It's a place that can either make or break you, you decide what you want it to do for you. Some immigrants come with the erroneous impression that all their problems will get solved once they come into the country. Some of the things that will serve one in good stead includes hard work, and being smart. Identify opportunities and go after them.

The schools are great (well, there are both 'good' and 'bad' schools - not bad in the sense that we know in Africa though). The schools for younger children (elementary, middle and high school) is done on a catchment basis. Children can only attend the schools within their home zones, extenuating circumstances however sometimes allows a kid in zone A to attend schools meant for zone B or C kids. This relates to public schools only - you may put your kids in private schools if you so desire. The schools provide the needed text books, parents only provide the writing materials. Most schools have lunch programs that kids can take part in.

A kid's grade level usually depends on the kid's age - in Africa we tend to send our kids to school early. It does not matter what grade your kid is currently back in Africa, when you arrive, they will be placed in classes corresponding to their individual ages. Make good use of the opportunities you have to relate with your kid's teachers. The teachers always welcome that.

Be very careful with the use of credit cards! Many immigrants (and non immigrants) have fallen into the trap of 'easy money' that credit cards sometimes represent. Using credit cards is a great way of building credit history. The only thing I advice people to do is to ensure they do not carry balances on their cards. A person with a debt of $5,000.00 on a credit may be lulled into thinking making the monthly 'minimum payment' of $30 - $40 is a good deal. I tell you, it is not! Whatever balance you carry on those cards will keep earning interests, and after a while you will realize that even though you're making the suggested payment, this balance is hardly going down. If use credit cards for things like grocery and other minor shopping (which I personally find convenient as I hate carrying cash), be sure to pay off everything at the end of the month.

Sorry for breaking into your thread like this, but I can't help making comments / questions to Sm1smom, as their post are so insightful.

I understand that in order to build the infamous credit history, one must use credit cards, but is this mandatory?I'm not really into credict cards,would say better,i don't like them at all.So,what's the deal?Can i use debit cards and build up credit history from them?
Please Sm1smom,keep on posting your practical and realistic US hints,really appreciate them.
Regards.

Unfortunately, you can't build a credit history by using debit cards, you just have to use credit cards and ensure you're making your payments on time in order to build a good credit history. The alternative means of building a credit history that I'm aware of is through major investments such as via mortgage payments (when you purchase a house) or when you buy a car using bank loans. But then the possibility of getting a bank loan without a credit history is almost none. So it's back to square one - which is credit cards.

Sorry for breaking into your thread like this, but I can't help making comments / questions to Sm1smom, as their post are so insightful.

I understand that in order to build the infamous credit history, one must use credit cards, but is this mandatory?I'm not really into credict cards,would say better,i don't like them at all.So,what's the deal?Can i use debit cards and build up credit history from them?
Please Sm1smom,keep on posting your practical and realistic US hints,really appreciate them.
Regards.

Thanks Sm1smom.
It looks like that's how things works and no way,you can't have a life over there without credit cards.Too bad,because they are a permanent temptation to do exactly the opposite of living within your means.We'll have to be disciplined to avoid being max out and broke.

US is a land of opportunities like people have always said. It's a place that can either make or break you, you decide what you want it to do for you. Some immigrants come with the erroneous impression that all their problems will get solved once they come into the country. Some of the things that will serve one in good stead includes hard work, and being smart. Identify opportunities and go after them.

The schools are great (well, there are both 'good' and 'bad' schools - not bad in the sense that we know in Africa though). The schools for younger children (elementary, middle and high school) is done on a catchment basis. Children can only attend the schools within their home zones, extenuating circumstances however sometimes allows a kid in zone A to attend schools meant for zone B or C kids. This relates to public schools only - you may put your kids in private schools if you so desire. The schools provide the needed text books, parents only provide the writing materials. Most schools have lunch programs that kids can take part in.

A kid's grade level usually depends on the kid's age - in Africa we tend to send our kids to school early. It does not matter what grade your kid is currently back in Africa, when you arrive, they will be placed in classes corresponding to their individual ages. Make good use of the opportunities you have to relate with your kid's teachers. The teachers always welcome that.

Be very careful with the use of credit cards! Many immigrants (and non immigrants) have fallen into the trap of 'easy money' that credit cards sometimes represent. Using credit cards is a great way of building credit history. The only thing I advice people to do is to ensure they do not carry balances on their cards. A person with a debt of $5,000.00 on a credit may be lulled into thinking making the monthly 'minimum payment' of $30 - $40 is a good deal. I tell you, it is not! Whatever balance you carry on those cards will keep earning interests, and after a while you will realize that even though you're making the suggested payment, this balance is hardly going down. If use credit cards for things like grocery and other minor shopping (which I personally find convenient as I hate carrying cash), be sure to pay off everything at the end of the month.

wow wow wow this is nice. i must say it needs discipline with those credit cards. I am very greatful for the info

hey guys sorry av bn away 4 smtime.

any way my friend recieved his 2nl and his no is 59k i was shocked and that made wonder how kcc operates.

Really!!!!!!!!!!! im getting mine soon!!!!! Obeez, where are you? the last 3 baboons getting their 2nl soon ;););)

Obeez has gone missing since yesterday........... thats odd maybe Obeez way of lining up the baboons the other way round is really working. ;)

59721. I was shocked 2
Is is he/ she 2013AF ama 2012.... is it really real...... , hopefully we getting too ours. How is everybody? last week was really tight at work, was barely online. Congs Nes for passing medicals, we cant wait for you to pickup your visa that was already assigned to you cause it yours in Jesus name. With you in prayers on thursday.,.. who else has got their 2 NL...... who is going next? When is Wank heading to Li.... have a blessed sunday

A quiz, i know im getting visa, amen!!! my quiz is, does anyone have an idea which states among these is best for a family person; Virginia, Kansas, Nebraska and Texas? Thanks