• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

Nesh bro. i hope the injections didnt get you. one down one to go. oh and while you were away Obeezyb learnt how to write chinese

Nesh,,,,DO KIDS GET THE INJECTIONS AS WELL? Anyone in the House who knows someone from the passport offices in Nairobi?

Today I spent most of my day going thru the DV2011 thread its so encouraging and I got this post that I felt like reposting it in our thread.

Originally Posted by dubai-b, 24th September 2012, 01:13 AM
Your stay in america can be made or broken by your host and the kenyans around you. Its all about research and getting the right info for survival and the faster you grasp and get into the groove depends on them. Be confident,know your facts,trust in God and face the co during your interview and the visa is yours. Be blessed y'all 2013 winners.

Thank you dubai-b

Guys i had my med checks on 22 n 23rd ,it was all wee but guys the needles are so painfull that i had to get sick off from duty.
the first day you do blood test,and xray then you are booked the following day.this is the worst of all,you are told in advance that get prepared for four injections,they are arraged in a tray the the thing starts one after the other as you leave there the shoulders are making funny noise...unfilled jerican with water......tubby,tuby.come a day after the injections my friends no sleep they ache all over even yu encounter fever.For the blood test they fill 1/2 ltrs 500ml syrige could yu imagine what yu go thro....los of pain.

befor the 4 injections you YOU UNDERGO A THOROUGH physical fittness test height,weight eye,ears,pressure etc but the intresting part you remove all the clothing ..i mean yu remain nude and he acesses those critical parts even he touches to see the response.any officer can be assigned this duty regardless you sex,pray that you are not examined by opposite sex.All in all i went throu successfully.best of luck to those awaiting this experience

Ok guys dont be scared, i found this post alarming and scaring sh*t out of people. Just so u know, they dont withdraw 500ML of blood, thats too much for folks in Kenya, do you know 500 ML is equivalent to soda ya madiaba? So this aint gonna happen, they just get little blood for tests! Another thing is about the jabs, Note: If you have ever suffered chicken pox, the injections will reduce to 3!!! And they will ask you if you have ever had chicken pox so remember to say yes only if it has ever happened to you and this will reduce the injections you get plus the money you pay!! For kutoa nguo, thats a true point but if you get a good physician, then he/she will not demand utoe yote, i remember the doctor who did this to me asked me to remain with my boxer but then he had a quick sneak huko chini to ensure i have no prostate cancer or signs of it.
Otherwise i wish you all well.

Green Card Lesson 101

Life after winning the Green Card Lesson 101
Thought i would provide information to help as you move to the US.
Brief History about self- Came to the US in 1999 as F-1 student. Received my bachelors in business Adminstration (Finance and Accounting) in 2004. Received MBA in 2008.
In this post will address planning for immigrating and settling during the first 3 months.
Finances
1. For those with properties in Kenya DO NOT DISPOSE OF THEM TO finance your move. It is best to save and have enough to cover your tickets and upkeep for the first 2 months. IF you have a good host you will not need to pay or buy anything during the first 3 months till you get a job. Example if you own a house, rent it rather than sell it.
2. Do not travel with lots of hard cash. You can always open a USD bank account at banks such as Standard Chartered while in Kenya, which will allow you withdraw USD in US ATM's.
3. Exchange the cash you want to travel with while in Kenya. Exchanging KSh to USD in US banks will lead to foreign exchange losses. Banks generally do not give the best exchange rates, FX bureas may have better rates.
4. Once you get to the US and have received your Green Card,Identity card and SSN, open a bank account with one of the major banks e.g Chase or Bank of America. This is because they have ATMS in most towns and will not be charged to withdraw cash as is the case with banks with limited branch networks.
For those with families, it might make sense to have the primary travel first to the U.S Get settled and get a job and have the family join you, provided they do so before their visa expires. This will give you flexibility to come, hustle and get situated. Tickets for large families can be expensive, you may also have school going children. Remember US school calendar runs from September to May. Many hosts will prefer this option. You can then settle down and safely move to an apartment get some basics in preparation for your family.
Living with Hosts
1. Please help with the cooking and cleaning. Not helping will be the quickest way for your host to start dropping hints that you need to move. Remember that your host works and if after a long day of work they come and have to start cooking for you and your family, there will be some friction.
2. Offer to buy some groceries for your host. This can be done within first month. This is just but a goodwill token.
3. If your host goes to church and you were not a regular at home you might have to get with the program and accompany them.

Networking
1. If you are in a town with many kenyans, get to know them. Get their tel numbers. They can come in handy when you need rides to go to jobo or to the drivers license office to get your drivers license. They will also provide info on the jobs that you can start on while getting familair with the town. They may offer tips on courses you can take e.g nursing. There are certain jobs that are in high demand and you will always be employed.
2. If there are no kenyans in your town, hit up your friends in other states or towns. They can give you survival tips.
3. Some large towns like Minneapolis,Atlanta, Dallas have kenyan churches where you can meet other kenyans. There are also kenyan functions where you can socialize with kenyans.
4. Register with the Kenyan Embassy in D.C. They want to know you are in the U.S. They also have contacts of kenyans in your locality who they can put you in contact with and might be willing to help you get situated.

In next post will provide infor on getting drivers license or State ID, employment.

To be continued.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Brief History about self- Came to the US in 1999 as F-1 student. Received my bachelors in business Adminstration (Finance and Accounting) in 2004. Received MBA in 2008. Worked in banking and acccounting over the years with work visa.
In this post will address planning for immigrating and settling during the first 3 months.
Finances
1. For those with properties in Kenya DO NOT DISPOSE OF THEM TO finance your move. It is best to save and have enough to cover your tickets and upkeep for the first 2 months. IF you have a good host you will not need to pay or buy anything during the first 3 months till you get a job. Example if you own a house, rent it rather than sell it.
2. Do not travel with lots of hard cash. You can always open a USD bank account at banks such as Standard Chartered while in Kenya, which will allow you withdraw USD in US ATM's.
3. Exchange the cash you want to travel with while in Kenya. Exchanging KSh to USD in US banks will lead to foreign exchange losses. Banks generally do not give the best exchange rates, FX bureas may have better rates.
4. Once you get to the US and have received your Green Card,Identity card and SSN, open a bank account with one of the major banks e.g Chase or Bank of America. This is because they have ATMS in most towns and will not be charged to withdraw cash as is the case with banks with limited branch networks.
For those with families, it might make sense to have the primary travel first to the U.S Get settled and get a job and have the family join you, provided they do so before their visa expires. This will give you flexibility to come, hustle and get situated. Tickets for large families can be expensive, you may also have school going children. Remember US school calendar runs from September to May. Many hosts will prefer this option. You can then settle down and safely move to an apartment get some basics in preparation for your family.
Living with Hosts
1. Please help with the cooking and cleaning. Not helping will be the quickest way for your host to start dropping hints that you need to move. Remember that your host works and if after a long day of work they come and have to start cooking for you and your family, there will be some friction.
2. Offer to buy some groceries for your host. This can be done within first month. This is just but a goodwill token.
3. If your host goes to church and you were not a regular at home you might have to get with the program and accompany them.

Networking
1. If you are in a town with many kenyans, get to know them. Get their tel numbers. They can come in handy when you need rides to go to jobo or to the drivers license office to get your drivers license. They will also provide info on the jobs that you can start on while getting familair with the town. They may offer tips on courses you can take e.g nursing. There are certain jobs that are in high demand and you will always be employed.
2. If there are no kenyans in your town, hit up your friends in other states or towns. They can give you survival tips.
3. Some large towns like Minneapolis,Atlanta, Dallas have kenyan churches where you can meet other kenyans. There are also kenyan functions where you can socialize with kenyans.
4. Register with the Kenyan Embassy in D.C. They want to know you are in the U.S. They also have contacts of kenyans in your locality who they can put you in contact with and might be willing to help you get situated.

In next post will provide infor on getting drivers license or State ID, employment.

To be continued.....

Minto64 this is interesting and very educative. What about housing what type of houses are nice for a family and how much? Cant wait to read the next TIP. Keep them coming

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys dont be scared, i found this post alarming and scaring sh*t out of people. Just so u know, they dont withdraw 500ML of blood, thats too much for folks in Kenya, do you know 500 ML is equivalent to soda ya madiaba? So this aint gonna happen, they just get little blood for tests! Another thing is about the jabs, Note: If you have ever suffered chicken pox, the injections will reduce to 3!!! And they will ask you if you have ever had chicken pox so remember to say yes only if it has ever happened to you and this will reduce the injections you get plus the money you pay!! For kutoa nguo, thats a true point but if you get a good physician, then he/she will not demand utoe yote, i remember the doctor who did this to me asked me to remain with my boxer but then he had a quick sneak huko chini to ensure i have no prostate cancer or signs of it.

Talk of feeling the prostate, this is damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn OMG have no words but i think it will be better if a woman feels it lol:p

Brief History about self- Came to the US in 1999 as F-1 student. Received my bachelors in business Adminstration (Finance and Accounting) in 2004. Received MBA in 2008. Worked in banking and acccounting over the years with work visa.
Finances
Living with Hosts

Networking

To be continued.....

Minto, thanks for taking time to share with us this info. Tell us more...

Ok guys dont be scared, i found this post alarming and scaring sh*t out of people. Just so u know, they dont withdraw 500ML of blood, thats too much for folks in Kenya, do you know 500 ML is equivalent to soda ya madiaba?
:p:p

And they will ask you if you have ever had chicken pox so remember to say yes only if it has ever happened to you and this will reduce the injections you get plus the money you pay!!
I've never had chickenpox despite being exposed to ppl who had it..can't I claim natural immunity?

i remember the doctor who did this to me asked me to remain with my boxer but then he had a quick sneak huko chini to ensure i have no prostate cancer or signs of it.

Finances
Living with Hosts

Networking

To be continued.....

Many thanks...

if u would how about some info on:crime,food,weather,cost of living,transportation...

Thanks so much for this reassurance. I also remember not so long ago someone posted here that he removed all his clothing but the doctor didn't touch his-u-know-what. Yes we really felt bad. I sent the same post to my husband and he refused to believe that stuff of male doctor checking female patient. We just have to wait for more experiences. I'll be here long enuf to know.

Thanks Minto for those details. Please post details of car types available to us and prices. I can see Obeez saying am getting ahead of my self (lol) but hey i have even looked at houses for sale and i have decided i may just have to rent. Buying is too expensive, i have even looked at some sites on the net for jobs.
Please also advise on which states in the US would you recommend.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks Minto for those details. Please post details of car types available to us and prices. I can see Obeez saying am getting ahead of my self (lol) but hey i have even looked at houses for sale and i have decided i may just have to rent. Buying is too expensive, i have even looked at some sites on the net for jobs.
Please also advise on which states in the US would you recommend.
Thanks in advance.

Curious just like me, lol! have browsed about housing (The houses have inbuilt fridge, oven, microwave, Ac, laundry etc) this will make life easy for us :cool: and schools for the young ones.

great. thanks for the report. one gets medical examination results after how long? and when i.e how many days or weeks before interview should one go for medical examination?

@ fomogho i think you should read the previous poss and you will learn lots about the medical experience .. all questions answered
i also think we should not expect too much on the other side ,,its good to be optimistic but it all depends on your host and your perception..
i would wish to settle as soon as possible coz am used to having ma space meaning i will work extra hard to move out asap..
i would want to know how long it takes to get a ssn and will it be possibke for me to work without waiting for the tht GC