• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2013 kenyan selectees report here!!!!

I found this note that was done by my friend last year and i think its inspirational and with a lot of wisdom.

Dv2012AFTAZ
Dv2012AFTAZ is offline No Captcha
Send a message via Yahoo to Dv2012AFTAZ Send a message via Skype™ to Dv2012AFTAZ

For the DV 2013 lucky ones and future entrants.

The DV is really an epic Journey and you guys start checking tomorrow I would have just completed my journey. A small piece of advice, divide the DV process mentally in 5 stages so it becomes more bearable.

Stage 1: (Early October)

Take proper Photographs, review the required details properly and double triple check your entry before submitting.
Keep your Confirmation number safe. Email it to your account and others print several hard copies. Print a pdf copy. Do what it takes not to lose it. The confirmation number is the one a most important thing you need throughout the DV process.
After this find ways not to think of this at all remember it’s a very small chance so hopes should not be too high. If it’s your destiny it will happen you have done your part by putting in a valid entry.

Stage 2: (May 1st)

Personally I checked on May 5th or something and was not selected. The site would be too busy on the first day so even if you do find yourself not selected try checking again in a week.
For me it was ok no problem it was not meant to be. Let’s move on and keep October next year in mind.
When I heard of the Redraw I was cool. Ok here comes another chance let’s see what happens. Even at this stage I still had my CN and thankfully DOS did email us in case we had destroyed it the first time round.
Rechecked on July 22nd and was very pleasantly surprised to know I was selected! It was only then that I got serious about the whole affair

Stage 3: (post May 1st)

A lot of us get crazy at this stage and rush like a bullet train to submit our DS forms and other requirements to KCC. I feel that is the biggest mistake. The interviews are still several months away even for those with low CN’s
My advice, print out the forms read them carefully enter the requirements with all the documents in hand take your time recheck several times you do not want to make a silly mistake her that may disqualify you!
When sure with your papers send it out by courier or any service that will provide you with a confirmation of delivery to KCC.
Now comes the hardest part, based on your CN number you will start receiving notifications of your interview date and this is the longest wait in the world for many of us.
Great source to know when you may expect an interview is the visa bulletin. Friends at this stage you are overwhelmed with emotion, stress and anxiety some of us need to wait close to and even over a year before our interview date!
Use this time to find the requirements change your lifestyle and START SAVING MONEY. You will need it both at the interview as well as when you move. For most of us moving there will not be a job waiting on a platter!

Stage 4: (The Interview based on CN number)

This is where I am at right now a day to go for my interview!
Most of us will get an email from noreply@... To check our status on ESC again. when you do so you will find that your congratulatory letter of selection dated May 1 has changed to a interview appointment letter. This will happen around 6 to 7 weeks before the actual interview and it means its now time to get your final act together.
It’s my personal advise that the Police clearance and medicals should be done only after this stage. Do medicals 2/12 weeks before interview and the PCC 3 to 3 !/2 weeks before. Of course check the lead times required in your country!
Recheck all your papers Birth certificate in Long form, Education details, marriage certificates etc. it’s all there on the Selectee notice for you. This is not hard!
Go to the interview prepared. Read posts and interview experiences from this forum. This forum is like family and has the best of information that you will never find on any other English website!

Stage 5: (post interview)

Hope to be here on May 2nd!
After a successful interview start planning you have at the most 6 months to make your first move! For some it may be less if the visa is linked to your Medicals!
There is wealth of options; most of us would have issues in moving quickly because winning the DV is gust like winning the lotto you only plan when you get it! On can make an activation trip and return for a few months wrap up things and go back. Others can obtain reentry permits and live another 2 years away…..
I hope I have put up a decent explanation of the journey for those who will be lucky tomorrow and I will be around to assist as I have been assisted by this amazing forum.

Admin is this going to be made sticky?

CN : 2012AF00045***
Entry Dated :17th Oct 2010
1st NL Received :22nd July 2011
Sent Forms to KCC :28th July 2011
DHL Confirm delivery : 01st August 2011
2nd NL : March 8 2012
PCC Country 1 & 2 : Done
Medicals : April 14 2012
Interview : May 1 2012 - Successful
Visa Pick-Up: May 3 2012
P.O.E : SFO CA .07/13
GC : August 3rd 2012
SSN Received : Aug 22 had to apply for it after 3 weeks
Re-Entry Permit : applied 17 July Bio-metrics 7th august

I found this note that was done by my friend last year and i think its inspirational and with a lot of wisdom.

Dv2012AFTAZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Dv2012AFTAZ Send a message via Skype™ to Dv2012AFTAZ

The DV is really an epic Journey and you guys start checking tomorrow I would have just completed my journey. A small piece of advice, divide the DV process mentally in 5 stages so it becomes more bearable.

Take proper Photographs, review the required details properly and double triple check your entry before submitting.
Keep your Confirmation number safe. Email it to your account and others print several hard copies. Print a pdf copy. Do what it takes not to lose it. The confirmation number is the one a most important thing you need throughout the DV process.
After this find ways not to think of this at all remember it’s a very small chance so hopes should not be too high. If it’s your destiny it will happen you have done your part by putting in a valid entry.

Personally I checked on May 5th or something and was not selected. The site would be too busy on the first day so even if you do find yourself not selected try checking again in a week.
For me it was ok no problem it was not meant to be. Let’s move on and keep October next year in mind.
When I heard of the Redraw I was cool. Ok here comes another chance let’s see what happens. Even at this stage I still had my CN and thankfully DOS did email us in case we had destroyed it the first time round.
Rechecked on July 22nd and was very pleasantly surprised to know I was selected! It was only then that I got serious about the whole affair

A lot of us get crazy at this stage and rush like a bullet train to submit our DS forms and other requirements to KCC. I feel that is the biggest mistake. The interviews are still several months away even for those with low CN’s
My advice, print out the forms read them carefully enter the requirements with all the documents in hand take your time recheck several times you do not want to make a silly mistake her that may disqualify you!
When sure with your papers send it out by courier or any service that will provide you with a confirmation of delivery to KCC.
Now comes the hardest part, based on your CN number you will start receiving notifications of your interview date and this is the longest wait in the world for many of us.
Great source to know when you may expect an interview is the visa bulletin. Friends at this stage you are overwhelmed with emotion, stress and anxiety some of us need to wait close to and even over a year before our interview date!
Use this time to find the requirements change your lifestyle and START SAVING MONEY. You will need it both at the interview as well as when you move. For most of us moving there will not be a job waiting on a platter!

Most of us will get an email from noreply@... To check our status on ESC again. when you do so you will find that your congratulatory letter of selection dated May 1 has changed to a interview appointment letter. This will happen around 6 to 7 weeks before the actual interview and it means its now time to get your final act together.
It’s my personal advise that the Police clearance and medicals should be done only after this stage. Do medicals 2/12 weeks before interview and the PCC 3 to 3 !/2 weeks before. Of course check the lead times required in your country!
Recheck all your papers Birth certificate in Long form, Education details, marriage certificates etc. it’s all there on the Selectee notice for you. This is not hard!
Go to the interview prepared. Read posts and interview experiences from this forum. This forum is like family and has the best of information that you will never find on any other English website!

After a successful interview start planning you have at the most 6 months to make your first move! For some it may be less if the visa is linked to your Medicals!
There is wealth of options; most of us would have issues in moving quickly because winning the DV is gust like winning the lotto you only plan when you get it! On can make an activation trip and return for a few months wrap up things and go back. Others can obtain reentry permits and live another 2 years away…..
I hope I have put up a decent explanation of the journey for those who will be lucky tomorrow and I will be around to assist as I have been assisted by this amazing forum.

Thank you very much I appreciate this forum, you have done well to give us such kind of information be blessed. At least to ta jibanga sawa sawa :cool::cool:

DV2012AF00041XXX
Entry Checked: 12.25.2011
Forms sent to KCC: 12.29.2011
Forms received by KCC: 01.03.2012
Confirmed by KCC via email: 01.11.12
2nd NL: Received on 8th march 2012
Police Clearance ;
Kenya- Done
Dubai - Done
Medicals: Done
Interview: 7th May 2012 8am......Got the VISA.....Thank you lord.
Visa Pickup:Wednesday May 9
P.O.E:Seattle Washington
SSN; done
GC;DONE

Am amazingly blessed....thank you Lord.

NB- For those want to predict interview dates, the above info should be kind of confusing. The first CN is 45*** and my CN was 41*** but he had his interview on 1st May while i had my interview on 7th May despite having a lower CN. We were both current on the same month and i guess it all boils down to how busy the stations are.

hey, i got this from nairaland..the guy from ug

by sami_1983: 11:19am
I had my interview today the old white lade told me my process is under administrative processing and it takes 1 month did any one here to share me experience about administrative processing .

Clearing the workload overhere and planning for the second phase. Relocating is not the easiest move to do especially if you have a family. My plan is take the family over and remain behind to clear things up but with a reentry permit to avoid violation of the residence rule.
Members who have always been interested in being in a disciplined force, and would like to be a citizen haraka explore and research about joining the US ARMY, AIR FORCE, MARINE,NAVY, NATIONAL GUARD/ ARMY RESERVE, COAST GUARD etc. You can be an enlisted active or reserve duty and the benefits are good. Do your research and evaluate what is good for yourself.
Good idea. As for the US ARMY etal, those are all good options to explore. I kind of like the Army uniforms but the trainning?? I don't know!!

Dear Forumites,

I asked a question last year and I wish to ask again. Can someone who is undergoing the DV visa process apply and obtain a non-immigrant visa to travel to the US for a conference training etc? What are the chances that if I apply for the non-immigrant visa I will be denied the DV visa when my time is for the interview comes (probably in August I guess).

Thank you.

Found something in the forum for guys who are going for medical

Nairobi medicals experience

Quote Originally Posted by PAPASAN View Post
Below see Njugunuts' posting some times back about his medical experience; I believe it might answer some of the questions you've posed:

" Anyway, after I was done with KCC, I called IOM on the chance that they would agree to schedule my medicals without the 2nd NL and they had no problem, they gave me a 7.30 appointment. Now, for all those doing their medicals in Nairobi, take note that the IOM at which the medicals are done is the one on 4th Ngong Avenue, a blue gate just after AAR. This is because when I called to make an appointment, they didn't tell me which IOM this was and so I went to Nairobi Hospital.

I showed up at IOM 4th Ngong Avenue, just after AAR at 7.50am (I think most appointments are around this time and the earlier you go the sooner you leave the place). At the gate, the security guys make sure you are on the list for the day. You then take a seat in the reception area and hand in your passport. The ladies there make a copy of it, then send you for a counseling session where some guy lets you know what tests they'll carry out,how long they will take etc. They check mainly for Syphilis, TB and Hepatitis B though they also do other baseline tests e.g blood sugar. After the counseling session you go pick up your passport and copy, and go the lab where they take an instant photo of you, sign the medical exam forms, hand in 1 passport photo and then proceed for bleeding. You then go and pay for the medical exam.

The exam itself costs 138 USD so depending on the exchange rate for the month which they set, you pay the equivalent in Ksh. The exchange rate for December is 80.3 so I paid Ksh. 11,081. You can pay in dollars if you want but it attracts a 5 USD surcharge since all their accounts are in Ksh.

You then enter an IOM van and are ferried to Nairobi Hospital IOM where you hand in your forms, are X-Rayed (ladies, wear pants not dresses or you will have to completely disrobe and wear the open-back hospital gowns) and then ferried back to 4th Ngong. Once you are back, you then proceed for the physical where a nurse checks your height, weight, vision, blood pressure and pulse. You hand in the 2nd passport photo here. You are then sent to the doctor's where he/she asks about your past medical, surgical and hospitalization history. You are then sent to strip down to your underwear. She checks your ears,teeth and asks you to breath in and out deeply as she listens to your breath and heart sounds. From here I guess its gender specific: because she will feel your breasts, both male and female, and general look and touch at the rest of your body as you lie down, straight to the toes (she doesn't look at sehemu nyeti [Smilie] , just asks if everything is OK there). Females, she will check the back of your legs for varicose veins as you face the wall, and for everyone she will check to see if your spine is straight.

After the exam she fills in the required immunizations which will vary depending on whether you are pregnant (females), having had chickenpox in the past and your age. Kids get quite a number of shots so for those with young ones (below 12), remember to carry their immunization cards to avoid traumatizing the kids with unnecessary shots coz without the cards, they will have to be repeated. I got three shots: Dultavax (32 USD), MMR (26 USD)and Varicella (54 USD and quite painful!). The pregnant ones don't get the first one and the ones who have had chicken pox don't get the last one. You can therefore calculate approximately how much you need by multiplying by the ones you're likely to need by 80.3. You then go and pay for the vaccinations and receive them. I was done with this by 1.30pm.

After that you are sent home to go and wait for the results. IF there is a problem, they call you the next day so you can come and see the doctor and discuss treatment options etc. and the way forward. IF you don't get any call in the morning, you are fine. I couldn't be able to go the next day to pick up my results so I begged and pleaded for an expedite so I left with my results at 5.10pm (quite a long wait, had to wait for the doctor to finish seeing everyone so she could sign my report). I was given a big envelope with my X-Ray (don't carry this to the interview, but carry it in your hand luggage when emigrating), Vaccination card copy (make a copy of this, carry to the embassy in case they need it, carry in hand luggage and keep safe coz in the States, it'll determine health insurance premiums) and a SEALED medical report (don't attempt to unseal unless you want to pay another 138 USD). They then bid you goodbye and all the best in your interview!

That was my day. Met a few people who were doing their medicals for DV, most seemed to be family sponsored migrants. One guy was doing his medicals for an interview next week on Tuesday, and I thought that was too close. I suggest you do your medicals as soon as possible, since they last for 6 months anyway, coz in-case there is a problem e.g TB which takes 6 months treatment and 2 more months observation, you may not be able to apply for your visa within the DV window. Anyway, the incidence of TB among people without HIV is not high so you shouldn't panic, but those who are positive should do it quickly so that if they have TB they can be treated and still apply. I was freaking out about the TB test coz I work in a HIV and TB clinic, but turns out mungu amenichunga. Amen!

In summary:
1. Get to your interview on time to avoid wasting the whole day there.
2. Carry immunization records where available, especially for children.
3. Carry about Ksh. 21,000 for the whole process (I spent Ksh. 20,075). A little more is better in-case of any eventualities.
4. There is a cafeteria on the premises so you can carry some little money for lunch and/or snacks, especially those with kids.
5. Make sure your passport photos (2) conform to the standards. Those with bad photos were sent to re-take them and wasted more time and money. They should be on a white background with a really big face in them (about half the photo)
6. Don't forget your passport.
7. Say a big prayer and wish for all the best.

Hope you have all learnt something from this. @ Kamauz, go right ahead and schedule your medicals, with or without the 2nd NL. Just carry your 1st NL so they can confirm your case number.

Applied for police clearance on Wednesday 8th and the process is quite straight forward: go to CID headquarters on Kiambu Road, follow the signs to the office (it's on the right). Pay Ksh. 1,000 at a window at the entrance and produce your national ID. Get a copy of the receipt and your ID inside the office @10 bob. Get the original receipt and ID copy stapled to some form, fill in your name and ID number and wait to be called for printing. After printing, get your form and copy of receipt signed and stamped. The certificate is ready in 2 weeks. Don't detach the printing records from the certificate when handing it in to the embassy or it is invalid."

Dear Forumites,

I asked a question last year and I wish to ask again. Can someone who is undergoing the DV visa process apply and obtain a non-immigrant visa to travel to the US for a conference training etc? What are the chances that if I apply for the non-immigrant visa I will be denied the DV visa when my time is for the interview comes (probably in August I guess).

Thank you.

They might deny you the conference visa since you have already shown interest of residing in the US through your DV visa process. If you apply and get denied or be granted, this will in no way interfere with your DV visa unless you violate your non immigrant visa.
Am not a lawyer so what i have said is not binding and you can always get a second opinion on it.

Hmmm.. what's new...ah huh,passport fees have gone up from 3,000shs to 4500shs:mad::mad:

http://www.immigration.go.ke/index....timelines&catid=42:kenyan-passport&Itemid=112

True, true they have become so expensive and that one is for a 32pages passport....but on the bright side the time taken to get a passport is definately shorter. Was renewing mine and it took less than one week for a replacement. Unbellievable!!

March interviewees,better start changing to dollars since the rate will shoot during election time.

Aha..dollar will shoot from March sijui to when so I have actually started planning for my dollars. Mdogo mdogo tuu.

Found something in the forum for guys who are going for medical

Nairobi medicals experience

Quote Originally Posted by PAPASAN View Post
Below see Njugunuts' posting some times back about his medical experience; I believe it might answer some of the questions you've posed:

" Anyway, after I was done with KCC, I called IOM on the chance that they would agree to schedule my medicals without the 2nd NL and they had no problem, they gave me a 7.30 appointment. Now, for all those doing their medicals in Nairobi, take note that the IOM at which the medicals are done is the one on 4th Ngong Avenue, a blue gate just after AAR. This is because when I called to make an appointment, they didn't tell me which IOM this was and so I went to Nairobi Hospital.

I showed up at IOM 4th Ngong Avenue, just after AAR at 7.50am (I think most appointments are around this time and the earlier you go the sooner you leave the place). At the gate, the security guys make sure you are on the list for the day. You then take a seat in the reception area and hand in your passport. The ladies there make a copy of it, then send you for a counseling session where some guy lets you know what tests they'll carry out,how long they will take etc. They check mainly for Syphilis, TB and Hepatitis B though they also do other baseline tests e.g blood sugar. After the counseling session you go pick up your passport and copy, and go the lab where they take an instant photo of you, sign the medical exam forms, hand in 1 passport photo and then proceed for bleeding. You then go and pay for the medical exam.

The exam itself costs 138 USD so depending on the exchange rate for the month which they set, you pay the equivalent in Ksh. The exchange rate for December is 80.3 so I paid Ksh. 11,081. You can pay in dollars if you want but it attracts a 5 USD surcharge since all their accounts are in Ksh.

You then enter an IOM van and are ferried to Nairobi Hospital IOM where you hand in your forms, are X-Rayed (ladies, wear pants not dresses or you will have to completely disrobe and wear the open-back hospital gowns) and then ferried back to 4th Ngong. Once you are back, you then proceed for the physical where a nurse checks your height, weight, vision, blood pressure and pulse. You hand in the 2nd passport photo here. You are then sent to the doctor's where he/she asks about your past medical, surgical and hospitalization history. You are then sent to strip down to your underwear. She checks your ears,teeth and asks you to breath in and out deeply as she listens to your breath and heart sounds. From here I guess its gender specific: because she will feel your breasts, both male and female, and general look and touch at the rest of your body as you lie down, straight to the toes (she doesn't look at sehemu nyeti [Smilie] , just asks if everything is OK there). Females, she will check the back of your legs for varicose veins as you face the wall, and for everyone she will check to see if your spine is straight.

After the exam she fills in the required immunizations which will vary depending on whether you are pregnant (females), having had chickenpox in the past and your age. Kids get quite a number of shots so for those with young ones (below 12), remember to carry their immunization cards to avoid traumatizing the kids with unnecessary shots coz without the cards, they will have to be repeated. I got three shots: Dultavax (32 USD), MMR (26 USD)and Varicella (54 USD and quite painful!). The pregnant ones don't get the first one and the ones who have had chicken pox don't get the last one. You can therefore calculate approximately how much you need by multiplying by the ones you're likely to need by 80.3. You then go and pay for the vaccinations and receive them. I was done with this by 1.30pm.

After that you are sent home to go and wait for the results. IF there is a problem, they call you the next day so you can come and see the doctor and discuss treatment options etc. and the way forward. IF you don't get any call in the morning, you are fine. I couldn't be able to go the next day to pick up my results so I begged and pleaded for an expedite so I left with my results at 5.10pm (quite a long wait, had to wait for the doctor to finish seeing everyone so she could sign my report). I was given a big envelope with my X-Ray (don't carry this to the interview, but carry it in your hand luggage when emigrating), Vaccination card copy (make a copy of this, carry to the embassy in case they need it, carry in hand luggage and keep safe coz in the States, it'll determine health insurance premiums) and a SEALED medical report (don't attempt to unseal unless you want to pay another 138 USD). They then bid you goodbye and all the best in your interview!

That was my day. Met a few people who were doing their medicals for DV, most seemed to be family sponsored migrants. One guy was doing his medicals for an interview next week on Tuesday, and I thought that was too close. I suggest you do your medicals as soon as possible, since they last for 6 months anyway, coz in-case there is a problem e.g TB which takes 6 months treatment and 2 more months observation, you may not be able to apply for your visa within the DV window. Anyway, the incidence of TB among people without HIV is not high so you shouldn't panic, but those who are positive should do it quickly so that if they have TB they can be treated and still apply. I was freaking out about the TB test coz I work in a HIV and TB clinic, but turns out mungu amenichunga. Amen!

In summary:
1. Get to your interview on time to avoid wasting the whole day there.
2. Carry immunization records where available, especially for children.
3. Carry about Ksh. 21,000 for the whole process (I spent Ksh. 20,075). A little more is better in-case of any eventualities.
4. There is a cafeteria on the premises so you can carry some little money for lunch and/or snacks, especially those with kids.
5. Make sure your passport photos (2) conform to the standards. Those with bad photos were sent to re-take them and wasted more time and money. They should be on a white background with a really big face in them (about half the photo)
6. Don't forget your passport.
7. Say a big prayer and wish for all the best.

Hope you have all learnt something from this. @ Kamauz, go right ahead and schedule your medicals, with or without the 2nd NL. Just carry your 1st NL so they can confirm your case number.

Applied for police clearance on Wednesday 8th and the process is quite straight forward: go to CID headquarters on Kiambu Road, follow the signs to the office (it's on the right). Pay Ksh. 1,000 at a window at the entrance and produce your national ID. Get a copy of the receipt and your ID inside the office @10 bob. Get the original receipt and ID copy stapled to some form, fill in your name and ID number and wait to be called for printing. After printing, get your form and copy of receipt signed and stamped. The certificate is ready in 2 weeks. Don't detach the printing records from the certificate when handing it in to the embassy or it is invalid."

Thanks for this...al remember to wear some pants on that day :)

Dv2012AFTAZ

My hardest part must be stage 3...wah, your patience is tested in every way possible.

They might deny you the conference visa since you have already shown interest of residing in the US through your DV visa process. If you apply and get denied or be granted, this will in no way interfere with your DV visa unless you violate your non immigrant visa.
Am not a lawyer so what i have said is not binding and you can always get a second opinion on it.

Thank you Dubai.

I am very grateful.

Dear Forumites,

Thank you.

Give it a try, I went to US for xmas holidays and there was no questions asked of DV Lottery. I think it is up to how you explain yourself, you have no reason to overstay in the US and ruin your chance of an almost sure green card.

Dear Forumites,

Thank you.

I currently have a non-immigrant visa valid until 2014 and I don't expect it to be a problem. I've been there and come back and can go back any time between now and when it expires. So the fact that you'll be back home for the DV interview should be proof to them that you are not looking to illegally stay there. Also, I don't think they ask about if you applied for the DV visa when you are applying for the non-immigrant (B1/B2) visa. So if you have a valid reason to travel, please go ahead with your plans.

Note: You can't have 2 types of visas at the same time, so when the DV is given, the rest of the validity period of the non-immigrant visa is cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator: