• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Go with as many documents as you have, just to be on the safe side - like you already know :). But of course you don't need to go with all your petition papers, the NOA is more than enough. Just make sure you photocopy any other document you're taking along with you which was not originally submitted with your I-485 package, or they may take the original from you. You don't need your entire tax returns, the W-2 will suffice. I don't think you need to make copies of your medical exams, they're not even going to ask for it since they have the originals. Those copies are for your records. The interview letter usually mentions to bring copies of any new documents you might be bringing with you only.

But then, don't be surprised if after all these preparation, nothing is asked for. I wasn't asked to show a single document at my interview, except for my driver's license which I used as a photo ID, and my passport which I presented to the IO when we met with him.

OK, thanks. The thing is, for example a single H1B petition can be 60 pages or more, so does the IO at the interview look at (or wants to keep) every single page of it, or just the end result which is the NOA that says it was approved? That's the difference between an extra 60 pages or just one page. Same thing with tax returns, will they keep the copy of the whole return or, say, just the W-2? Or how about the copies of the medical exams, they already have the originals, but do I have to make copies of the copies I have just in case they ask for it again?

BTW, that "like 100 pages" was a figure of speech, I didn't actually care to count the number of documents we have.

Actually, there's no prohibition to seeing the results of the medical exam. The medical doctor is allowed to fill out two copies of those forms (or make a copy of the original for you before sealing it). You are allowed to have a copy for your records.

I really don't think you need to bring a copy of the medical exam. First don't forget you're not supposed to see it, it must be in a sealed envelope.

Ok. As long as people understand that the reason behind having the submitted medical forms sealed and signed across is not because they're "not supposed to see it". It's more to do with preventing people from 'tampering' with the results of the test or what the doctor has written.

I'm not quite sure it's advisable to use your work address for receiving USCIS communications (or by saying you want to use your 'employer's address' you mean your employer's home address - assuming you have a personal relationship with your employer)? You could use the address of the new place you're moving into in April on your I-485 if you already know where you're moving to. Or better yet, wait till you move (your post indicates you're moving next month - which is April - and your visa number will also be current in April), before mailing your I-485 package, this doesn't necessarily have to be mailed/received on the first day of the month.

Hello guys, hope everyone is doing great.

I'm preparing my AOS packet as i will be current in April and have some concerns regarding the address field in I-485. Thing is, i'm planning to move out of my current residence in next month or so. That's the reason why, i don't want to put my current address in I-485 but instead i'm planning to put my employer's address in there so that i dont lose any communication\letters from USCIS. Can we do something like this? Will it delay processing ?

FYI, My employer is also located in the same city as mine.

Thanks you guys. Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure it's advisable to use your work address for receiving USCIS communications (or by saying you want to use your 'employer's address' you mean your employer's home address - assuming you have a personal relationship with your employer)? You could use the address of the new place you're moving into in April on your I-485 if you already know where you're moving to. Or better yet, wait till you move (your post indicates you're moving next month - which is April - and your visa number will also be current in April), before mailing your I-485 package, this doesn't necessarily have to be mailed/received on the first day of the month.

Thanks Sm1smom. What i meant was, using my office address. If it is not advisable to use it, how about using friend's address instead ? Most probably, i will be moving at the end of april and i don't have my new address just yet, still working on it. I also dont' want to delay I-485 submission as we already past 6/7 months of processing time.

I totally understand what you are saying but just wanted see if i could use all the time that i have for processing my AOS package.

I really don't think you need to bring a copy of the medical exam. First don't forget you're not supposed to see it, it must be in a sealed envelope. How is it possible to bring a certified copy when the original is in a closed envelope? Second I guess when you are at the interview level they already examined your case and went through the medical exams forms. Otherwise in the interview letter they would have asked you explicitly to bring the medical forms.

I was given copies by the physician. I know they already have it, and my question was, do they ask for copies of the things we have already submitted, and Pryanik's answer was yes :) So basically we need to bring pretty much everything we have already sent, originals and copies, plus any extra in that generic list they sent, plus anything else we can think of.

I don't like it when there aren't clear instructions in something so crucial, when stuff left to our imagination, instead of saying bring this, that, original, copy whatever. I intend to take everything mentioned in that list, I sure hope it'll be enough.

Otherwise they ask for certified IRS printouts for the past year. What do they mean by certified? We can order online a copy of previous tax returns here. Is it ok?

I don't know what a certified printout is but I do taxes with a company, I'll take whatever they gave me in the envelope. That's pretty much the whole tax return documents for that year plus some extra sheets.

Same for superior education diplomas, do I need to prepare a certified translation?

Good question. I have already sent the copies and certified translations, and I'll show the original at the interview. Will they ask for another copy, or another certified translation again? Hence my original question.

Go with as many documents as you have, just to be on the safe side - like you already know :).
:rolleyes: :D

But of course you don't need to go with all your petition papers, the NOA is more than enough. Just make sure you photocopy any other document you're taking along with you which was not originally submitted with your I-485 package, or they may take the original from you.
That makes sense, but again we don't know for sure. That's the thing that bothers me.

The interview letter usually mentions to bring copies of any new documents you might be bringing with you only.

That I will do.

But then, don't be surprised if after all these preparation, nothing is asked for. I wasn't asked to show a single document at my interview, except for my driver's license which I used as a photo ID, and my passport which I presented to the IO when we met with him.

I know, I had similar experiences with visas. I'm the kind of person who'd get to the bottom of things, and whenever there aren't clear instructions or rules about something, that bothers me. To other people it may look like details, but I'm a stickler :)

Depending on your age, not all vaccines may be necessary. The physician knows which ones you'll need for the purposes of the immigration physical. He/she will tell you which ones you'll need. Chances are you'll need about three injections that you can get done in a public health clinic.

Thanks aos13.

I took MMR, Influenza, Tetanus vaccines today, and also provided blood sample for Tuberculosis. They told me result should be in in 7-10 days, and I have to come back to sign the paper, and they will provide in sealed document.

Regarding AOS+ Biometric fee, Can I write one cashiers check for myself and my wife? Do I need to write case # on it?

Thanks again for all the help you guys have provided.

chickenpox vaccination

Thanks aos13.

I took MMR, Influenza, Tetanus vaccines today, and also provided blood sample for Tuberculosis. They told me result should be in in 7-10 days, and I have to come back to sign the paper, and they will provide in sealed document.

Regarding AOS+ Biometric fee, Can I write one cashiers check for myself and my wife? Do I need to write case # on it?

Whoever is doing Medical in the future, PLEASE SAY YOU HAD CHICKENPOX when you were kid. This will avoid taking chicken pox vaccine.

I was asked " Did I have chickenpox in the past"?. I said " NO". They almost gave me chickenpox vaccination.

All they need is confirmation from you. They do not require any proof.

Yes, you can make the the payment for both of you into one form of payment. However, it's advisable to include two checks, one for yourself, and one for your wife - this will ensure that both applications don't get returned should in case one of you forgot to sign, or they decide to reject one of the applications for incomplete or 'wacky' reasons, they will at least continue processing the other one before you get to re-send the rejected one.

Also, you might want to use a personal check to make the payment in place of the cashier's check, you will get to know when your checks get cashed by checking your account.

Thanks aos13.

Thanks aos13.

For future reference and benefit to others:
They usually draw two or three blood samples, one is for STDs, I don't remember the others. For TB, there are two tests, one is the skin test where they give you a little scar, and then you'll have to pay $$ for an x-ray because the skin test is almost always positive for most of us, the other one is T-SPOT test done with blood sample and is more accurate, so you don't need an x-ray. If they really drew the blood for T-SPOT you are lucky, it'll save days and $$. On the other hand, if you were required a skin test before when you first came to US and it was positive, you can't go for the T-SPOT, you'll get an x-ray directly without another skin test.

Regarding the checks, I had already written something before but basically sm1smom is correct.

It is weird though that io mentioned some paperwork, at that point everything should be set as far as dos is concerned. I thought they request the visa number at the interview, not after, and you leave the place knowing that you are done. Are they running out of numbers??

Thanks for the info varxx,
aos13, I thought so too, almost all the posts I've read here say they got approved at the meeting. Anyway, I called the USCIS help number and asked the agent if they knew what paperwork USCIS was requesting from DoS. They transferred me to a "higher level customer service" and after being on hold for 35 mins, another guy came on and said that the application still hadn't been approved and that "it doesn't look like there are any visas available in your category". He also said he wouldn't be able to tell me any further information about the number or distribution of visas. So now I'm concerned.

I dont think dv visas have been used up so quickly. They have just released new numbers for people who have waiting for their numbers to be current.
Can you put your info on the spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjoXax6rTIh6dDduVnZRMXpSekI5bFgxc0lGWkV6QlE#gid=0

another guy came on and said that the application still hadn't been approved and that "it doesn't look like there are any visas available in your category". He also said he wouldn't be able to tell me any further information about the number or distribution of visas. So now I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info varxx,
aos13, I thought so too, almost all the posts I've read here say they got approved at the meeting. Anyway, I called the USCIS help number and asked the agent if they knew what paperwork USCIS was requesting from DoS. They transferred me to a "higher level customer service" and after being on hold for 35 mins, another guy came on and said that the application still hadn't been approved and that "it doesn't look like there are any visas available in your category". He also said he wouldn't be able to tell me any further information about the number or distribution of visas. So now I'm concerned.

That is concerning :( Can you tell what country you are from if you don't mind ?

As far as I understand (and I'm not positive on that) one of the differences between CP and AOS is that in CP they reserve a visa number for you when they scheduled your interview, and if for some reason you don't qualify, they release it back to your country's pool; but in AOS, they ask for a visa number during the interview. March is too early for that but if they have reason to believe that they'll distribute all your country's visa numbers during CP interviews, you may have to wait until somebody is not qualified, or simply does not pursue the interview any longer so that the numbers are released back to the pool. Again, this is speculation.

Or there is some kind of a mistake going on.

That is concerning :( Can you tell what country you are from if you don't mind ?

As far as I understand (and I'm not positive on that) one of the differences between CP and AOS is that in CP they reserve a visa number for you when they scheduled your interview, and if for some reason you don't qualify, they release it back to your country's pool; but in AOS, they ask for a visa number during the interview. March is too early for that but if they have reason to believe that they'll distribute all your country's visa numbers during CP interviews, you may have to wait until somebody is not qualified, or simply does not pursue the interview any longer so that the numbers are released back to the pool. Again, this is speculation.

Or there is some kind of a mistake going on.

I'm from Belize, Central America. They usually only get a handful of people selected every year (>10 sometimes). I really hope that's not the case.

2013SA000005xx AOS
05-20-12 DV Fee ($330) to DoS
05-30-12 DV Adjustment Email Letter
10-01-12 AOS Package to Chicago (returned)
12-01-12 AOS Package to Chicago (accepted)
12-09-12 Notice of Action (I-797C)
12-21-12 Biometric Appointment Letter (01-16-13)
01-02-13 Biometric Done (Walk-In)
02-04-13 Work/Travel Permit Received
02-05-13 Interview Letter Received (2-28-13)
02-28-13 Interview
? Welcome Letter
? GC Received

I dont think dv visas have been used up so quickly. They have just released new numbers for people who have waiting for their numbers to be current.

That's what I thought too, and that's why I'm confused and concerned. The whats the purpose of the rank order number cut-off, isn't it to distribute visas orderly? instead of having everyone apply all at once. I really don't know what it is, but i think aos13's explanation makes sense.

2013SA000005xx AOS
05-20-12 DV Fee ($330) to DoS
05-30-12 DV Adjustment Email Letter
10-01-12 AOS Package to Chicago (returned)
12-01-12 AOS Package to Chicago (accepted)
12-09-12 Notice of Action (I-797C)
12-21-12 Biometric Appointment Letter (01-16-13)
01-02-13 Biometric Done (Walk-In)
02-04-13 Work/Travel Permit Received
02-05-13 Interview Letter Received (2-28-13)
02-28-13 Interview
? Welcome Letter
? GC Received