• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Hi Varxx,

Both the attorney and the applicant receive copies of all the I-797s.

Pryanik :)

Kazore, If I cannot get a walk-in in NJ, I will try it over the places you mentioned.
I know you mentioned about an attorney helping you with the process, I need to ask if you received the I-797C receipt or your attorney did? and how about the biometrics letter?

thanks Pryanik777, It is freaking me out as I live on-campus and our campus has a weird address with box number written next to the street address. I have faced problems when renewing my drivers license as their system couldnt recognize the address format. The address goes like this

5*** m** st,
Box 2***,
F*****, NJ.

Sometimes I had to write apt instead of Box to get the address accepted at some places.

I just want to make sure I receive the documents properly on time.

How about the interview letter? Does attorney and the applicant both receive it?? Atleast this way we can use the copy sent to the attorney.

Hi Varxx,

Both the attorney and the applicant receive copies of all the I-797s.

I am also doing AOS with help from an immigration lawyer,
I am still waiting for my bio (no plan of walk-in), but for NOA and letter for BIO appintment, both my lawyer and I received the same letter on the same day.

I am pretty sure we both will receive the letter for interview as well, since my lawyer needs to be at the interview with me.

thanks Pryanik777, It is freaking me out as I live on-campus and our campus has a weird address with box number written next to the street address. I have faced problems when renewing my drivers license as their system couldnt recognize the address format. The address goes like this

5*** m** st,
Box 2***,
F*****, NJ.

Sometimes I had to write apt instead of Box to get the address accepted at some places.

How about the interview letter? Does attorney and the applicant both receive it?? Atleast this way we can use the copy sent to the attorney.

Varxx,

I'm not sure if our attorney also got the interview letter, usually they mention in the communications when the original is sent to the attorneys, on my letter they didn't. I remember I scanned it and sent it to the attorney though.

5*** m** st,
Box 2***,
F*****, NJ.

This was the same for me. The interview letter was directly sent from our local office and only to me. My attorney didn't receive anything for this one.

Varxx,

I'm not sure if our attorney also got the interview letter, usually they mention in the communications when the original is sent to the attorneys, on my letter they didn't. I remember I scanned it and sent it to the attorney though.

This was the same for me. The interview letter was directly sent from our local office and only to me. My attorney didn't receive anything for this one.

And when you check online does it tell you that an interview letter was sent? What is the online status at this point?

Kazore, If I cannot get a walk-in in NJ, I will try it over the places you mentioned.
I know you mentioned about an attorney helping you with the process, I need to ask if you received the I-797C receipt or your attorney did? and how about the biometrics letter?

It's better you try this one: 27-35 Jackson Avenue Long Island City, NY 11101. It's a new office and they are not very busy on the afternoon. If you arrive from NJ it is convenient and a lot of subway lines around. Just tell them that you cannot go at the planned date. Brooklyn ASC is a little far.
I have the feeling that walk in bio does not speed up the process.

No. The online system didn't work for me until one month after finishing the Bio (on the scheduled date, not a walk-in). Then it changed to the point which says "a Bio letter is sent to you"! and it stocked on that even though I have already finished the Bio and have my interview next week.

And when you check online does it tell you that an interview letter was sent? What is the online status at this point?

AOS and follow to join process

Hello All,

Here is my situation, I am selected for DV 2013, and my number is 12XXX, which is current now in the visa bulletin for February.

I have not sent any forms to KCC, yet. So far, I have not done anything. My first question is am I late?

And my wife is in the overseas, and I live in the US. My wife can come here for July-August with her F2 visa, but until then, she will not be here in the US, and I have to go to school and will be here in the US.

What steps should I take?

If I do AOS here, I am not sure if she will have enough time to start join to follow process through embassy in the overseas.

My options are:

1) I do AOS for myself, and wait for the process, then notify the embassy, and my wife will try to get the visa overseas. In this case, I am not sure if I have enough time for processing both until Sept. 30th.

2) I also go to the embassy in overseas with my wife for visa interview. I am not sure for how long should I go to overseas to stay in this case for paperwork, medicals, bios etc. I also have school, so it is not very convenient for me to go to overseas for interview.

3) Or somehow, can we have the interview here in July-August, in this case, can she come here with her current visa, and can we both do AOS here, would we be able to fill up the paperwork, medical, bios in seperate countries, me in the US, her in the overseas.

I am really confused.

What would be the best way to go at this moment.

If someone can help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much...

Hello All,

Here is my situation, I am selected for DV 2013, and my number is 12XXX, which is current now in the visa bulletin for February.

I have not sent any forms to KCC, yet. So far, I have not done anything. My first question is am I late?

And my wife is in the overseas, and I live in the US. My wife can come here for July-August with her F2 visa, but until then, she will not be here in the US, and I have to go to school and will be here in the US.

What steps should I take?

If I do AOS here, I am not sure if she will have enough time to start join to follow process through embassy in the overseas.

My options are:

1) I do AOS for myself, and wait for the process, then notify the embassy, and my wife will try to get the visa overseas. In this case, I am not sure if I have enough time for processing both until Sept. 30th.

2) I also go to the embassy in overseas with my wife for visa interview. I am not sure for how long should I go to overseas to stay in this case for paperwork, medicals, bios etc. I also have school, so it is not very convenient for me to go to overseas for interview.

3) Or somehow, can we have the interview here in July-August, in this case, can she come here with her current visa, and can we both do AOS here, would we be able to fill up the paperwork, medical, bios in seperate countries, me in the US, her in the overseas.

I am really confused.

What would be the best way to go at this moment.

If someone can help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much...

First answer is: you are a bit late but not too late. You need to send your forms to KCC right away, and to do that you need to decide whether you want to do AOS or CP immediately. In either case you have enough time to get your green card until September so don't panic.

1) I think this is possible, you can simultaneously do your AOS here while your wife can do CP in home country. Anybody in the forum with more knowledge please jump in for suggestions.

2) You can find out about the US consulate's process in your country; some consulates let you choose an interview date. But you have to understand that if you are current now, you can get an interview as early as March or April, so do you really want to wait until August? Because visa numbers are first come first serve.

3) Again there is no guarantees that you will land an interview when you want it. It could be much earlier than July. One thing to keep in mind is you have to get your medicals done in the same country (US or abroad) if you both want to go for AOS or CP. So she can't have her medicals done abroad and come here for AOS, and you can't have it here and then go abroad for CP.

If your wife is not working or not occupied otherwise, why couldn't she come to US earlier? In any case, you need to start collecting the paperwork regardless of your decision: you can read this whole thread to find out what it is that you need to submit. Since your wife is already abroad, she can start collecting stuff like birth certificates, diplomas, police certificate etc.

You need to decide in a very short time whether you want to do AOS or CP and send stuff to KCC to let them know that you are pursuing this chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're interviewed when your Field Office decides they have an open time slot for you considering you're on the DV Program and usually after the background check.

My understanding is we don't get an interview until background check is done but I'm not positive on that.

You're interviewed when your Field Office decides they have an open time slot for you considering you're on the DV Program and usually after the background check.

I received a letter for initial interview??? Any ideas? I just checked mailbox today. Is this the actual interview letter (was anybody's letter worded as "initial interview") or something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Kazore for the information!

It's better you try this one: 27-35 Jackson Avenue Long Island City, NY 11101. It's a new office and they are not very busy on the afternoon. If you arrive from NJ it is convenient and a lot of subway lines around. Just tell them that you cannot go at the planned date. Brooklyn ASC is a little far.
I have the feeling that walk in bio does not speed up the process.

loladvas13, rnotk

I still havent received the applicants copies, whereas my attorney received on Monday. The checks were cashed on 29th. My attorney says sometimes either attorney or the client receives the NOA and biometrics, not both. But as I read somewhere that USCIS new policy, came into effect in 2011, sends original copy to the applicants and courtesy copy to attorney.

customer service do not have any information other then that our case is in the process. They do not have any information if our address needs any correction. They cannot access our personal information.

loladvas13, rnotk
They do not have any information if our address needs any correction. They cannot access our personal information.
When you call them, ask them to talk to somebody who can pull your case, they'll tell you it'll take a while to route the call to an officer, say ok and be ready to wait on the line for 15-45 minutes. That person will be able to look at your file, only your file. If you need info about spouse's file your spouse has to be there with you during the call.

Aos,

Can you share more details about this "initial interview" letter for those who are still in the process of getting their Permanet Residence.

I received a letter for initial interview??? Any ideas? I just checked mailbox today. Is this the actual interview letter (was anybody's letter worded as "initial interview") or something else?

Aos,

Can you share more details about this "initial interview" letter for those who are still in the process of getting their Permanet Residence.

Well, that's exactly what it says, it's a request for initial interview and it has a pretty generic list of stuff that I need to bring for the interview. Funny thing is my spouse (who is the actual lottery winner) did not get a letter yet. None of us got a biometric letter either. Today I called NCSC and I was told that I was sent a biometric letter yesterday. And after the call, my case status was changed, it still shows testing/interview but it also says that we were sent interview letters today (even though I already received my letter). So I don't really know what is going on.

When you got your interview letter, what was the actual wording? Did it say "interview" or "initial interview" ? The officer I talked to said that FO might have wanted ask some questions and that's why I was scheduled for interview ??

My letter didn't have the "initial" wording but it did also include an attachment with a generic list of documents to bring. The officer you talked to just said something we all know... they interview us because they want to ask questions :D Jokes aside, I think this is your actual interview letter so go prepared with all your documents and good luck! :)

Well, that's exactly what it says, it's a request for initial interview and it has a pretty generic list of stuff that I need to bring for the interview. Funny thing is my spouse (who is the actual lottery winner) did not get a letter yet. None of us got a biometric letter either. Today I called NCSC and I was told that I was sent a biometric letter yesterday. And after the call, my case status was changed, it still shows testing/interview but it also says that we were sent interview letters today (even though I already received my letter). So I don't really know what is going on.

When you got your interview letter, what was the actual wording? Did it say "interview" or "initial interview" ? The officer I talked to said that FO might have wanted ask some questions and that's why I was scheduled for interview ??