• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Thanks Sm1smom! for your advice. I am liking this forum as this is the place to get back if I am not sure about any of the process. Great job guys!!!! I am sure will be of help to others once I get hold of the whole process.

As always Good Luck to everyone who are still looking forward to getting their green cards! and Congratulations to everyone who already received it!!

To echo Loladvas and Pryanik, yes keep the original receipt for your interview and send the copy with your payment.

Pryanik's response regarding the I-485 packages for you and your wife is absolutely correct. Those packages should be sent together as one (in the same mailing pack). If your lawyer knows what he/she is doing, he/she should know that the spouse's I-485 id dependent upon the main/principal applicant's.

To echo Loladvas and Pryanik, yes keep the original receipt for your interview and send the copy with your payment.

Uh-oh. I sent the original :( I figured they would want to see the original receipt to make sure I actually paid before even starting to look at our applications. We are talking about the first $330/person payment right? I do have a copy of the receipt though. Should I contact USCIS and find out if the copy is ok?

Don't stress yourself if you've already sent out the original receipt with your I-485 package, there's no need to contact USCIC. Just go to your interview with the copy you have. Of course, having the original copy of all of one's document is a good idea since they're not likely to return them. They also come in handy if you decide to claim immigration expenses on future tax filing. And yes, we're talking about the $330/person payment.

Uh-oh. I sent the original :( I figured they would want to see the original receipt to make sure I actually paid before even starting to look at our applications. We are talking about the first $330/person payment right? I do have a copy of the receipt though. Should I contact USCIS and find out if the copy is ok?

My attorney sent the I-485 on January 11 (by USPS priority mail) he didn't send the form G-1145 e-notification of application. He says it's useless because according to him they never send any message. How am I going to know that they accepted the package? The check hasn't cleared yet.
What is the difference between acceptance and NOA? Is the NOA a letter that we receive by mail?
Thanks

Your attorney's claim regarding the G-1145 form is wrong. USCIS will send an acceptance text/email if the e-notification form is filled out. But not having it with your package is not a show-spoiler. Acceptance let's you know your application has been formally received by USCIS. You will still receive the "official notification" in the form of I-797C NOA (Notice of Action) which tells you the next steps USCIC will be taking with regards to your case, such "expect your biometric appointment" blah, blah, blah.

My attorney sent the I-485 on January 11 (by USPS priority mail) he didn't send the form G-1145 e-notification of application. He says it's useless because according to him they never send any message. How am I going to know that they accepted the package? The check hasn't cleared yet.
What is the difference between acceptance and NOA? Is the NOA a letter that we receive by mail?
Thanks

oh ok thanks, I guess I have to check my bank to see when the cheque clear.
We also send for I-131 advance parole, I don't really plan to travel outside the US but just in case. Is it going to delay the application or it has no incidence?

Kazore,

Of course it would have been desirable to send the G-1145, that way you'd know in real time they accepted your cases (AOS, AP, and EAD) and your case numbers as well. However, this is not mandatory. Now you will know after they pull your funds, and your case numbers, when they send you the I-797s. After that you don't get any updates as long as you sign up for updates by creating an account on the USCIS website.

Filing for AP and/or EAD does not delay anything because all depends on your background check after your biometrics and how busy is your FO to schedule an appointment for you.

Good luck!

Pryanik :)

You're welcome. Yeah, checking your bank account to confirm check clearance is indeed a good way of confirming the acceptance. And no, filing I-131 will absolutely NOT delay the processing of your application.

Don't stress yourself if you've already sent out the original receipt with your I-485 package, there's no need to contact USCIC. Just go to your interview with the copy you have. Of course, having the original copy of all of one's document is a good idea since they're not likely to return them. They also come in handy if you decide to claim immigration expenses on future tax filing. And yes, we're talking about the $330/person payment.

Thanks Sm1smom and Kazore, I'll probably ask somebody to make sure when I go for the bio. I don't really care for the receipt itself, they can keep it :) Does our application (everything we send) go to FO electronically, or do they receive the actual paperwork? If so, then they'll already have it for the interview I guess.

Your attorney's claim regarding the G-1145 form is wrong.

Agree. FYI, the stamp date on my NOA envelope was the same day I received the text/e-mail. So the time between text/e-mail and actual NOA is only whatever time it takes for the mail to arrive.

Thanks Sm1smom and Kazore, I'll probably ask somebody to make sure when I go for the bio. I don't really care for the receipt itself, they can keep it :) Does our application (everything we send) go to FO electronically, or do they receive the actual paperwork? If so, then they'll already have it for the interview I guess.

They send the actual file to your FO and will be in front of you the day of your interview.

Thanks Pryanik and everybody else who commented, I feel better now. I really don't feel like paying that fee again :)

Aos13,

You won't need to pay it again but it's better to keep the original because in case they lose it (which could certainly happen), it could result in a delay for the approval (if the officer is not very understanding), and we have to take into account that time is a constraining factor for DV cases.

Aos13,

You won't need to pay it again but it's better to keep the original because in case they lose it (which could certainly happen), it could result in a delay for the approval (if the officer is not very understanding), and we have to take into account that time is a constraining factor for DV cases.

Yes I understand that, so I'll talk to them at my bio date to make sure it's no problem. If they say that could be a problem, I'll pay again to get another receipt before I'll go to the interview. Based on the spreadsheet there is 3 to 7 weeks between bio date and interview date, it is enough time to get another receipt before the interview if need be.

Yes, but again... I'm sure you won't need to pay again. During our interview the officer didn't even ask for the receipt but this depends on the officer's criteria.

Yes, some FO are busier than others. As for the spreadsheet, you put yourself your info there. A lot of people is going to be thankful if you do it and it will also help you! Thanks!

Does anyone have experience in Sacramento FO?
based on the processing time info, it seems take more time than the other office

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

Also for the spreadsheet info thing, is that something that people putting their info by themselves??
I mean this one
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjoXax6rTIh6dDduVnZRMXpSekI5bFgxc0lGWkV6QlE#gid=0

let me know then I will put my info