• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

Does anyone have experience in Sacramento FO?
based on the processing time info, it seems take more time than the other office

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

This page gives info about all applications, including regular I-485s. I think DV related I-485 applications get processed faster since there is a deadline attached to them. Of course each FO has a different work load. Looking at your info on spreadsheet, your case proceeds pretty fast so far :)

This page gives info about all applications, including regular I-485s. I think DV related I-485 applications get processed faster since there is a deadline attached to them. Of course each FO has a different work load. Looking at your info on spreadsheet, your case proceeds pretty fast so far :)

well, yes so far it is going well.
but as you know DV2013 cut off number for Asian was (or still is) really slow,
In fact when I see my case number is 27**, I thought I can file in Oct 2012, but didnt happen as you may know...

so its kinda even out.

well, yes so far it is going well.
but as you know DV2013 cut off number for Asian was (or still is) really slow,
In fact when I see my case number is 27**, I thought I can file in Oct 2012, but didnt happen as you may know...

so its kinda even out.

True, but people who filed in October actually waited quite a bit. I was looking at the spreadsheet, those who filed later are getting processed somewhat faster. Well there is no hard and fast rules in this game :)

Aos13,

You won't need to pay it again but it's better to keep the original because in case they lose it (which could certainly happen), it could result in a delay for the approval (if the officer is not very understanding), and we have to take into account that time is a constraining factor for DV cases.

Pryanik :)

Putting everything aside, we all know that it is a sequential process; that is we take one step at a time until the interview. Let me explain what I actually mean, we pay the $330 (times the number of applicants), then you get your receipt, and then your AOS email/notification. Then, you wait until your case is current, you send that $1070 check; which pretty much is an essential part of your I-485 package. If you make it to the biometrics (which is also a part of that $1070 check), then comes your interview. I don't think you'd be asked for your receipts because it is very obvious that you payed all the fees that are related to your case if you made it that far. Also, in my case, during the interview I saw all the documents I sent with the I-485 package were on the desk; so you should be just fine.

Putting everything aside, we all know that it is a sequential process; that is we take one step at a time until the interview. Let me explain what I actually mean, we pay the $330 (times the number of applicants), then you get your receipt, and then your AOS email/notification. Then, you wait until your case is current, you send that $1070 check; which pretty much is an essential part of your I-485 package. If you make it to the biometrics (which is also a part of that $1070 check), then comes your interview. I don't think you'd be asked for your receipts because it is very obvious that you payed all the fees that are related to your case if you made it that far. Also, in my case, during the interview I saw all the documents I sent with the I-485 package were on the desk; so you should be just fine.

Iamsolost, I totally agree with you on the logic. Unfortunately sometimes things have little logic in them. For example, if I show a master's or PhD diploma, it should be obvious that I must have finished high school at some point if I made it that far, yet I still have to show a high school diploma when asked because it is spelled out in the law regarding DV lottery and some officers may take it quite literally. Having said that, I don't think I'll run into major trouble because of this fee issue, at any rate I'll make sure to find out when I go to the bio.

I also understand that if anything seems to be missing we are given 90 days to send all missing documents after the interview, but of course this is a time-sensitive issue so none of us wants to extend this process beyond the interview if we can help.

I'd like to also know everybody's opinions/experiences about walk-in bios, has anyone walked in for a bio before their bio date?

Iamsolost, I totally agree with you on the logic. Unfortunately sometimes things have little logic in them. For example, if I show a master's or PhD diploma, it should be obvious that I must have finished high school at some point if I made it that far, yet I still have to show a high school diploma when asked because it is spelled out in the law regarding DV lottery and some officers may take it quite literally. Having said that, I don't think I'll run into major trouble because of this fee issue, at any rate I'll make sure to find out when I go to the bio.

I also understand that if anything seems to be missing we are given 90 days to send all missing documents after the interview, but of course this is a time-sensitive issue so none of us wants to extend this process beyond the interview if we can help.

I'd like to also know everybody's opinions/experiences about walk-in bios, has anyone walked in for a bio before their bio date?
High school diploma is indeed a part of your I-485 package (copy), but in most cases, if you are on an education visa (F-1, or whatever you name it), when it comes to the interview day, they are also well aware of the situation that you wouldn't have made it this far into your education career (PhD). The reason why it is on there is that, there are also a number of applicants out there trying to go through this process with no college education, or perhaps being a high school drop-out in their countries of origin; and those are the ones that should worry about proving themselves that they can find a way to support/finance their "new life" in the States.
I personally don't think you will be asked for any receipts or whatsoever, but it is always a good idea to take whatever you have with you to the interview, along with the items that will be listed on your interview letter. In my case, there were a number of documents listed for me to bring to the interview, but I wasn't asked for any of them during the interview - so I take it as the interview process varies greatly on the F/O.
Lastly, to talk about my own experience with biometrics, I showed up about an hour earlier at the ASC, the security guard looked at my appointment letter, handed me some paperwork, and gave me a number. I waited for a couple of minutes as they took care of the applicants that were already in the line, and then I was done about 40 minutes before my scheduled appointment. So, I'd say you could be able to do early walk-ins, but it really depends on how busy they are, in my case the ASC was literally empty.

Thanks. I am planning to go a lot earlier actually :) Like as soon as I get the bio letter. Since the background check does not start before fingerprinting, getting it done as early as possible would speed things up.

The don't even ask to send high school certificate with the I-485.
The "list of documents" I got from my field office back in the day for the 2012 winners; it is clearly stated there that a certified translation of your high school diploma is required with your I-485 package.

mnipse call

The "list of documents" I got from my field office back in the day for the 2012 winners; it is clearly stated there that a certified translation of your high school diploma is required with your I-485 package.

I think proof of education or 2yr job training? is required, I submit my diploma from University not from high school. Imy lawyer said its ok)

It wouldn't hurt to send a copy as part of your I-485 and it's wiser to do it in order to avoid a possible rejection of the file. Anyway, you'd have to show the original and a copy (for their records) during the interview because it is a must. We sent copies of everything, she just asked for the originals to compare.

Pryanik :)

I actually scanned that sheet, but somehow can't upload it here, so I am quoting from the 2012 Diversity Lottery Winners checklist I got from my Field Office back in June:
"Supporting Evidence for Form I-485" - "You should submit the following evidence with your form I-485":
"Two passport style photos"
"Form G-325A, Biographic Information, if you are between 14 and 79 years of age"
"Copy of government issued photo identification"
"Copy of birth certificate"
"Copy of passport page with non-immigrant visa (if applicable)"
"Copy of passport page with admission (entry) stamp (if applicable)"
"Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record (if applicable)"
"Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record"
"Applicable fees"
"Certified copies of court records (if you have ever been arrested)"
"Copy of the principal applicant's selection letter for the diversity visa lottery from the DOS"
"Copy of the receipt for the processing fee of the diversity visa lottery from DOS"
"Principal applicants must also submit EVIDENCE OF A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR ITS EQUIVALENT, or evidence of 2 years of work experience in an occupation requiring at least 2 years of training or experience in the past 5 years"

So, I guess you can now rest assured that I wasn't making it up.
Sincerely,

Last edited by a moderator:
Work question

Hello Every1. I have a little problem. I am currently on opt and with a full time job i also work 2 part time jobs on weekends. My full time job is totally related to my major (Biology & Chem). But both of my part time jobs are not exactly related to my major (Working as a Direct support profesional to disabled people). Acc to rules you are only allowed to take major related jobs on OPT. Do you think this might create an issue during the interview?
Thanks.

I guess you need to mention only if you have informed your school about the part time jobs.

Hello Every1. I have a little problem. I am currently on opt and with a full time job i also work 2 part time jobs on weekends. My full time job is totally related to my major (Biology & Chem). But both of my part time jobs are not exactly related to my major (Working as a Direct support profesional to disabled people). Acc to rules you are only allowed to take major related jobs on OPT. Do you think this might create an issue during the interview?
Thanks.