• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

My interview experience was amazingly blissful! Wow!! Meeting with the IO at my FO was like visiting with an old friend, it felt like going through a mere formality.

My family arrived about 50 minutes early for the interview (my city has no FO, so we had to undertake a 2 hours journey to the assigned FO), initial encounter with the security guard was rather unpleasant, claimed he couldn't let us in for more than 30 minutes ahead of our appointed time. I then politely pointed out to him that my interview letter did say I could be let into the building 45 minutes ahead of my appointment, at which point he finally allowed us inside. Went through the necessary check procedure and was taken to the interview waiting/reception area.

Right on the dot of our scheduled time, a friendly elderly man opened the door and ushered us into his office with an apology about having only 3 visitors' chairs, asked us to bear with him while he ran to go fetch an extra chair. He apologized in advance of the possibility of butchering our names :D. He then began by confirming who is who, after which he faced me, being the principal applicant, and confirmed our home address. He said " I need to confirm your home address because I want to make sure your cards don't get lost in the mail" and in my mind I was like "Wow, looks like we've already been approved"! He then asked me questions 1a&b listed in Part 3 of the I-485, after which he basically started chatting with my spouse and kids. He ended by telling us we should receive our cards in about 10 days, but not to panic if it takes a bit longer. He said the ongoing budget approval battle between the Senate and the White House may impact the timely issuance and receipt of GC going forward, but was confident it wouldn't affect ours since they still have an approved operating budget till the end of March. My interview letter had a long list of generic documents I was required to bring, (and which I took along), but he never asked for a single one!!

Anyway, to cut this narrative short, we left his office about 30 minutes later with him advising and encouraging my kids in their academic and sporting activities.

I am blessed and I give God the glory!!

congratulation!!! and thank you for sharing your experience.

I have a question for people who have successfully finished their interviews, particularly men. How did you guys dress for your interviews? very formal? business casual? Did you wear like suit and tie?

I have a question for people who have successfully finished their interviews, particularly men. How did you guys dress for your interviews? very formal? business casual? Did you wear like suit and tie?

Hey Loladvas!

I've seen people wearing "all kinds of clothes". "All kinds of clothes" is not our style though, especially when it's about interviews so I wore business casual which I personally think it's the minimum standard for such an important time. Impression is always something to care about. :)

Good luck!!!

Pryanik :)

I am still far away from my interview, but I am planning to wear suit for interview. Maybe no tie,
But I think it is better to over dress than under.

Congrats Sm1smom!!!! happy ending!!!

My interview experience was amazingly blissful! Wow!! Meeting with the IO at my FO was like visiting with an old friend, it felt like going through a mere formality.

My family arrived about 50 minutes early for the interview (my city has no FO, so we had to undertake a 2 hours journey to the assigned FO), initial encounter with the security guard was rather unpleasant, claimed he couldn't let us in for more than 30 minutes ahead of our appointed time. I then politely pointed out to him that my interview letter did say I could be let into the building 45 minutes ahead of my appointment, at which point he finally allowed us inside. Went through the necessary check procedure and was taken to the interview waiting/reception area.

Right on the dot of our scheduled time, a friendly elderly man opened the door and ushered us into his office with an apology about having only 3 visitors' chairs, asked us to bear with him while he ran to go fetch an extra chair. He apologized in advance of the possibility of butchering our names :D. He then began by confirming who is who, after which he faced me, being the principal applicant, and confirmed our home address. He said " I need to confirm your home address because I want to make sure your cards don't get lost in the mail" and in my mind I was like "Wow, looks like we've already been approved"! He then asked me questions 1a&b listed in Part 3 of the I-485, after which he basically started chatting with my spouse and kids. He ended by telling us we should receive our cards in about 10 days, but not to panic if it takes a bit longer. He said the ongoing budget approval battle between the Senate and the White House may impact the timely issuance and receipt of GC going forward, but was confident it wouldn't affect ours since they still have an approved operating budget till the end of March. My interview letter had a long list of generic documents I was required to bring, (and which I took along), but he never asked for a single one!!

Anyway, to cut this narrative short, we left his office about 30 minutes later with him advising and encouraging my kids in their academic and sporting activities.

I am blessed and I give God the glory!!

Thanks guys! I was thinking about business casual too since Iam not really comfortable with suit! I talked with a friend who was insisting on wearing a suit and tie. I thought its kinda over dressing! So, I wanted to ask your opinion.

Thanks again,

Thank you varxx and aos13 ;) and all the best to you guys and everyone else waiting to be current or interviewed.

Loladvas13,
no tie, imagine you wear a suit and tie and IO interviewing is not. It would look odd. Suit or blazer without a tie or just some other kind of business casual will do. Good luck!!

Kazore,
Make sure to have some strong reason for walk-in. I heard that if you really have good reason they may allow you. Good Luck!!

Thanks guys! I was thinking about business casual too since Iam not really comfortable with suit! I talked with a friend who was insisting on wearing a suit and tie. I thought its kinda over dressing! So, I wanted to ask your opinion.

Thanks again,

Post interview, my girlfriend commented that I had dressed incredibly American. Peacoat, blue shirt, dark pants. I guess it worked!

I just got a notification from the USCIS system that changed from the Application to register permanent residency has been approved to the following "On January 28, 2013, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before receiving your card, please call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283."

Is this the welcome letter that they are talking about?

Yes, exactly. This is the welcome letter (I-797C)

I just got a notification from the USCIS system that changed from the Application to register permanent residency has been approved to the following "On January 28, 2013, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status. Please follow any instructions on the notice. Your new permanent resident card should be mailed within 60 days following this registration or after you complete any ADIT processing referred to in the welcome notice, whichever is later. If you move before receiving your card, please call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283."

Is this the welcome letter that they are talking about?