• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2013 AOS Only

I am glad that this issue was brought up because I was starting to regret that I didn't include any cover letter either. Without a cover letter explaining this is a DV based submission, I'm afraid they'll just toss it into the pile with the all other I-485s. So anybody who's about to submit their application, it would be wise to put a cover letter with CAPS :) that this is a dv lottery application. The order of documents in my case was the G-something form for e-mail/text, I-485, DV lottery letter, the DV payment receipt (original :p), and the rest in no particular order.

I actually do not believe that a DV I-485 package without a cover note gets dump with all other I-485 packages, and thereby gets unnecessarily delayed.

My lawyer and I had an amusing back and forth reg. this. I wanted to put in a cover letter, he said that the packages would be reviewed by contractors and they didn't really care to read that. In the end, we went with his and my case went as fast as it could.

I'm of the same opinion with your lawyer. The guys responsible for sorting and going through all the I-485 packages at the Chicago Lockbox are not much different from those level one officers you get to speak with when you call USCIS (those guys have no clue about the fiscal year's effect on DV processing).

Not having a cover letter with my package did not cause any delay for me based on the timing comparison I've done with others. But then, I must admit, the first item in the package I sent in was my DV Selectee Notification Letter, followed by the KCC confirmation email before the I-485 form itself (and someone might argue displaying those items prominently guided the guys sorting through the package at the Chicago Lockbox).

Like I said before, for those yet to send in their package (or getting ready to do so), including a cover letter (and a list of your supporting documents, if you so wish) is a personal choice.

A big thumbs up Minto for the additional clarification. I'm sure so many people will find it/them informative and useful

Aos13,

It is always good to include a cover letter but if none was included I do not think it in anyway delays your application. I had the fortune of having my application returned when I first sent it out. The application was already sorted into three plastic papers. One for the forms, another for photos and medical form, the other for all support(educational, passport pages, visa, birth certificates etc)

Sms1mom has on several occasions stated that interview delays are occasioned by the number of applications your field office handles. Some field offices have large case loads from other pending applications e.g Fresno Ca or Miami Fl. Some others like Portland also handle so many jurisdictions. Philadelphia DV cases move very quickly. ( extrapolated from the AOS spreadsheet).

The processing of applications at the lockbox is as follows(source uscis public engagement notes)
1. Application received by lockbox is sorted and scanned into the system.
2. Lockbox officials forward DV case files to national benefits center(NBC).
3. NBC sends out bio notices based on your field office application support centers availability. They also process the EAD and travel permit cards. Once bio is complete NBC will request cards be mailed out.
4. NBC sends hard copy file to field office. They include a red paper with dv notification in file to alert field office to process and schedule interview ASaP due to time constraints.
5. Field office receives file and schedules interview.

At time of interview all my docs were in a brown/ cream colored folder.

The guys responsible for sorting and going through all the I-485 packages at the Chicago Lockbox are not much different from those level one officers you get to speak with when you call USCIS (those guys have no clue about the fiscal year's effect on DV processing).

I know that people that handle the mail, emails and telephone calls at KCC are not employed by USCIS or department of state but by a private company.
It must be the same for Chicago.
We pay those subcontractor people with the fees.

I'm sure that the cover letter goes to the trash right away.

>Kazore
wow, I am so impressed with your organization.
and I am sorry that I cannot share my experience, since my lawyer sent my packet and I dont know how she organized.

>Sm1smom
Good luck and I cannot wait my interview...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aos13,

It is always good to include a cover letter but if none was included I do not think it in anyway delays your application. I had the fortune of having my application returned when I first sent it out. The application was already sorted into three plastic papers. One for the forms, another for photos and medical form, the other for all support(educational, passport pages, visa, birth certificates etc)

Sms1mom has on several occasions stated that interview delays are occasioned by the number of applications your field office handles. Some field offices have large case loads from other pending applications e.g Fresno Ca or Miami Fl. Some others like Portland also handle so many jurisdictions. Philadelphia DV cases move very quickly. ( extrapolated from the AOS spreadsheet).

The processing of applications at the lockbox is as follows(source uscis public engagement notes)
1. Application received by lockbox is sorted and scanned into the system.
2. Lockbox officials forward DV case files to national benefits center(NBC).
3. NBC sends out bio notices based on your field office application support centers availability. They also process the EAD and travel permit cards. Once bio is complete NBC will request cards be mailed out.
4. NBC sends hard copy file to field office. They include a red paper with dv notification in file to alert field office to process and schedule interview ASaP due to time constraints.
5. Field office receives file and schedules interview.

At time of interview all my docs were in a brown/ cream colored folder.

Great info Minto64, thanks.

I actually do not believe that a DV I-485 package without a cover note gets dump with all other I-485 packages, and thereby gets unnecessarily delayed.
I know chances are it'll be OK but then there is occasional case that falls through the cracks. I am certainly hoping these "contractors" are told to look close enough for our cases when sorting out thousands of applications. It may be OK for the primary applicant but for the spouse's case where "b" is checked for derivative status, there is nothing that alerts them about DV unless a copy of DV letter is attached. I did attach DV letters to both cases just to make sure.

BTW, good luck Sm1smom! :D

Congrats Pryanik and good luck to Sm1smom in his interview. Hope you guys will be around for help and guidance.

Thanks for the good wishes rnotk, aos13 & james 82.

Congrats Pryanik and Iamsolost on the official receipt of your physical GC.

The statement above is true - at least in my case it was. I did not include a cover letter with my application. Also, instead of mailing it to the Lockbox, I did a courier delivery. Minto provided a great explanation on how things work; but I also do believe that the key thing for a speedy and successful review is to include all the main and supportive documents. The list of documents I included in my I-485 package is on Page 40, Post #1192. On top of those, I also included all of my I-20 forms; some financial documents - including your car title or apartment lease wouldn't hurt - some Social Security forms as well as employment letters to show them that I was employed legally. If I recall correct, I also printed off the Visa Bulletin's appropriate page showing that I was current for that month. Also, recall that on the I-485 form on Page 1, Part 2, you are supposed to mark option H and write "Diversity Visa Lottery Winner. Copy Attached" - and that "copy" is the barcode letter you should have printed off back in May when you checked your lottery application online. So, I don't believe that cover letter adds anything to your case file; as your I-485 form is self explanatory along with the barcode letter (Selectee Notification Letter).
PS: Thanks for all the private messages and shout-outs. I will for sure stick around and contribute as much as I can.

My Interview Experience

My interview experience was amazingly blissful! Wow!! Meeting with the IO at my FO was like visiting with an old friend, it felt like going through a mere formality.

My family arrived about 50 minutes early for the interview (my city has no FO, so we had to undertake a 2 hours journey to the assigned FO), initial encounter with the security guard was rather unpleasant, claimed he couldn't let us in for more than 30 minutes ahead of our appointed time. I then politely pointed out to him that my interview letter did say I could be let into the building 45 minutes ahead of my appointment, at which point he finally allowed us inside. Went through the necessary check procedure and was taken to the interview waiting/reception area.

Right on the dot of our scheduled time, a friendly elderly man opened the door and ushered us into his office with an apology about having only 3 visitors' chairs, asked us to bear with him while he ran to go fetch an extra chair. He apologized in advance of the possibility of butchering our names :D. He then began by confirming who is who, after which he faced me, being the principal applicant, and confirmed our home address. He said " I need to confirm your home address because I want to make sure your cards don't get lost in the mail" and in my mind I was like "Wow, looks like we've already been approved"! He then asked me questions 1a&b listed in Part 3 of the I-485, after which he basically started chatting with my spouse and kids. He ended by telling us we should receive our cards in about 10 days, but not to panic if it takes a bit longer. He said the ongoing budget approval battle between the Senate and the White House may impact the timely issuance and receipt of GC going forward, but was confident it wouldn't affect ours since they still have an approved operating budget till the end of March. My interview letter had a long list of generic documents I was required to bring, (and which I took along), but he never asked for a single one!!

Anyway, to cut this narrative short, we left his office about 30 minutes later with him advising and encouraging my kids in their academic and sporting activities.

I am blessed and I give God the glory!!

>Kazore
wow, I am so impressed with your organization.
and I am sorry that I cannot share my experience, since my lawyer sent my packet and I dont know how she organized.

Oh thanks I found that on internet:eek:

Green Cards received!!!

Pryanik! :)

Great info Minto64, thanks.

Congratulations Pryanik and Iamsolost a long journey is done.

I'm going to try to make a walk-in bio. Do I need to schedule an infopass before or just the letter is ok?