• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2013 AOS for F-1 Visa student

saunj11

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone.

I do apologies if opening a new thread for this is inappropriate, but I couldn't really find anywhere else to do so.

Anyways appreciate any help, advice, information given!:) So my current situation is im 18, going to study in the US in August this year to do a Bsc. Will be on a F-1 visa. Last year I entered my mom and dad into the Dv lottery for the second time, just to give it a go and see if luck is on our side. Well they do not want to move to the US, me on the other hand I think it would be perfect to get residency there, so that I could stay on after my degree and pilot training.

So say "If" we do win, what would be the process to follow? From what I understand I will get a green card under one of them if they do win. Is it possible for me to just enter the US and them to ditch it? Obviously we would not say this was our intention at any point. Basicly what I see is my visa would be active and theres would just "expire"? Am I on the right path or is there a catch to this? The problem though is I would be in the US by the time the interview comes around.

Another thing to consider is can I do an AOS under their application if I am already there on a F-1 status? Or does the main applicant have to do this. This presumably would be alot easier, as then they would not have to go through the burden of getting paperwork, clearances etc.

If none of the above is possible, can they just apply at our local consulate through the normal processes , and I just fly back out home when the interview comes?

Sorry if this sounds confusing, but really need some help here. My future depends on it:cool:

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they are the principal applicants, you cannot enter the US with an immigrant visa without them. All of you would have to enter the US at the same time. The best situation is that if they win, you go back to your country at the time of the interview at the US consulate in your country, and you all enter the US at the same time. You would not be able to enter the US by yourself on an immigrant visa since you are not the principal applicant.

If you were the principal applicant, you would have been able to do AOS while in the US.

Since they are the principal applicants, you cannot enter the US with an immigrant visa without them. All of you would have to enter the US at the same time. The best situation is that if they win, you go back to your country at the time of the interview at the US consulate in your country, and you all enter the US at the same time. You would not be able to enter the US by yourself on an immigrant visa since you are not the principal applicant.

If you were the principal applicant, you would have been able to do AOS while in the US.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. So I understand what you mean by them being principal applicants. But if we enter together like you said, and they leave a week or two later and I'm still in the US, would my visa be cancelled?

DV-Lottery 2013

Hi
I've been selected for DV-Lottery 2013 and I'm currently on F1 visa. I'm planning to Adjust my status.
I haven't sent my DPS-122 yet, because I've been told by USCIS officer that all I need to do is to adjust my status, but yesterday I've found out I have to send DPS-122 to Kentucky and $330.00 to Department of states.
I'm wondering if it's too late to do that?
if it's not I still have time, should I send DS-230 along with DPS-122?
Based on the questions in the form,I'm assuming that DS-230 is needed by selectees who are not in the U.S. But I want make sure, and don't wanna lost my opportunity of getting Green Card, because of not sending one simple form.
Do I need to send the fee at the same time I'm send the DPS-122 or I have to wait?
I would appreciate if someone helps me out.

There is still plenty of time. Send DSP-122 to Kentucky.
Can always send check to department of state later.

Hi
I've been selected for DV-Lottery 2013 and I'm currently on F1 visa. I'm planning to Adjust my status.
I haven't sent my DPS-122 yet, because I've been told by USCIS officer that all I need to do is to adjust my status, but yesterday I've found out I have to send DPS-122 to Kentucky and $330.00 to Department of states.
I'm wondering if it's too late to do that?
if it's not I still have time, should I send DS-230 along with DPS-122?
Based on the questions in the form,I'm assuming that DS-230 is needed by selectees who are not in the U.S. But I want make sure, and don't wanna lost my opportunity of getting Green Card, because of not sending one simple form.
Do I need to send the fee at the same time I'm send the DPS-122 or I have to wait?
I would appreciate if someone helps me out.

I tried to contact with USCIS to be sure that I'm eligible for AOS. I'm currently on F1 visa.
But I couldn't find any way to contact them. Could you please let me know how you talked to them? and what's the eligibility?

Thanks

I tried to contact with USCIS to be sure that I'm eligible for AOS. I'm currently on F1 visa.
But I couldn't find any way to contact them. Could you please let me know how you talked to them? and what's the eligibility?

Thanks

If you are on F1 status and your are still going to school and maintaining your full time status in college, then yes you are eligible to do AOS but make sure that you have to be in school attending classes and maintain your F1 requirements all the way until you do the interview and get approval on your GC.

If you fail to maintain your F1 status then you will disqualify because you will be considered out of status and you will not get any immigration benefits.

the only way to contact USCIS for inromation is getting a info-pass appointment in your local USCIS office, you can schedule it online. But at this point i dont see a need to do that.

DV 2013 selection

Hi
I have been selected for the dv2013, i m actually a student in NY.
I called the local USCIS, they told me different steps. They asked me to wait until october 1 to fill out the I485 form.
I have few questions :
Do I need to send the DSP 122 form to KCC with 2 pictures now?
I have to travel in Europe in september, Do i have to wait until the end of my trip to fill out the form?
How much will cost the AOS form I485?

Is it after you send the form that they will issue a appointment for the green card?

Thanks to answer, i m actually confused.

Send the DSP122 + 2 Pictures + Bar code letter to KCC right away.

Then you will wait for Department state letter instructing you to send a payment of $330 (amount subject to change).

After that get all your documents for I-485 ready untill your case number becomes current on the visa bulletin. Now depending on your case number that depends whcih month it will become current (not always October like USCIS told you)

Once your case number becomes current then you will have to send your I-485 with all supporting documents + fees to USCIS.

No interview will be scheduled if you don't send your forms...If they don't have your forms and documents then you don't have a case with them.

You can travel out of the country without problems after you send your documents to KCC.

Traveling outside the country is not recommended after you file your I-485 with USCIS

Hi
I have been selected for the dv2013, i m actually a student in NY.
I called the local USCIS, they told me different steps. They asked me to wait until october 1 to fill out the I485 form.
I have few questions :
Do I need to send the DSP 122 form to KCC with 2 pictures now?
I have to travel in Europe in september, Do i have to wait until the end of my trip to fill out the form?
How much will cost the AOS form I485?

Is it after you send the form that they will issue a appointment for the green card?

Thanks to answer, i m actually confused.

rock adesiFo

Hi guys. I'm F-1 visa and my spouse has B-1(Tourist) I'm eligible for AOS. But i wonder is she eligible too. She is with me in US right now and her I-94 will expire 12/28/2012.

Thank you...

Oh no! That post wasn't directed at you. I deleted something I wrote before and simply replaced it with 'oops'. Sorry if my post gave the impression there's a big problem regarding your case.

What does it mean ooops. Is it bad for me?

2012 DV winner F-1 Student

Hello I am an F1 visa holder student and I won the 2012 (yes, not 2013- long story) lottery. i sent my initial documents, got the KCC email, paid the adjustment of status fee of $330 to DV program and now I'm waiting for them to send me the receipt back to apply for Adjustment of Status. When I get this receipt back, should I include it in my AOS package? Also, when i'm submitting AOS, what should I include as supplemental civil documents other than birth certificate and police record? Should I include high school diploma, college transcript, bank letter etc? I am a student so I have no proof of financial independency (but I won the lottery), is that important? what exactly happens once USCIS receives my AOS application? Do you know if they expedite the process towards the end of the fiscal year? I don't even know if it's enough time at this point, please help..

Hello I am an F1 visa holder student and I won the 2012 (yes, not 2013- long story) lottery. i sent my initial documents, got the KCC email, paid the adjustment of status fee of $330 to DV program and now I'm waiting for them to send me the receipt back to apply for Adjustment of Status. When I get this receipt back, should I include it in my AOS package? Also, when i'm submitting AOS, what should I include as supplemental civil documents other than birth certificate and police record? Should I include high school diploma, college transcript, bank letter etc? I am a student so I have no proof of financial independency (but I won the lottery), is that important? what exactly happens once USCIS receives my AOS application? Do you know if they expedite the process towards the end of the fiscal year? I don't even know if it's enough time at this point, please help..

Holy buckets!!

whats up w/ you currently?
File the i-485 w/o waiting for dos receipt!!

get hold of this guy in this thread and get some advise.
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?323596-DV-2012-AOS-Only&p=2587023#post2587023

Best!

hey everyone,
I am an F-1 visa holder and I won the lottery this year. I have been reading posts in this forum and since everyone has their own cases, there are lots of unimportant information under the topics. Now I saw this topic and I am a little bit happy to see people like me. I have sent a mail letting them know that I am going to do AOS. They sent an email that they got my mail. I have sent AOS fee today. My number is going to be current in December. Do I have to send my files in december? Can i send them earlier?

Now I have to fill I-485. Besides that what should I do? I know that I have to see a doctor. Today I called the doctors office, they told me to bring my files? Which file should I take with me?

And are there any steps that i am missing?

Already,Thanks for your replies

hey everyone,
I am an F-1 visa holder and I won the lottery this year. I have been reading posts in this forum and since everyone has their own cases, there are lots of unimportant information under the topics. Now I saw this topic and I am a little bit happy to see people like me. I have sent a mail letting them know that I am going to do AOS. They sent an email that they got my mail. I have sent AOS fee today. My number is going to be current in December. Do I have to send my files in december? Can i send them earlier?

Now I have to fill I-485. Besides that what should I do? I know that I have to see a doctor. Today I called the doctors office, they told me to bring my files? Which file should I take with me?

Already,Thanks for your replies

younhave to wait december.. I don't think you are missing something. Just do your medicals and collect all the required documents

My number is going to be current in December. Do I have to send my files in december? Can i send them earlier? Now I have to fill I-485. Besides that what should I do? I know that I have to see a doctor. Today I called the doctors office, they told me to bring my files? Which file should I take with me?

1. You cannot send I-485 before you're current. If you're current in December, the earliest you can send the form is November 30th. Use the time in between to correctly fill out the form and gather all the necessary supporting documents.

2. Fill out form I-693, this is the medical examination form you will need to take to the civil surgeon's office. I think this form and your immunization records (if you have them) is what they're referring to as your 'files'. Just make sure the doctor you're using is on USCIS's list of Civil Surgeons.

When you enrolled for the first time at school, they usually require proof of TB test and MMR vaccination, at the very least. If you don't have those, the school would make you take the test and vaccination. If you have the paperwork from your country that shows TB test result and MMR vaccination, bring it. If you had to take the test and the vaccination again here in the US, go to the clinic that performed the test & vac on you and ask for such document.